• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

zychi

Banned
Figured I'd ask this in here,

I have a PC and a Macbook Air, I have dual monitors, and I have one set of speakers.

I'm trying to get the sound of the MBA and the PC to come out of the same set of speakers.

I have the MBA connected via hdmi to my 2nd monitor.
The PC is connected via hdmi to a tv(disabled most of the time), dvi to the second monitor, and vga to the first monitor. I run the mac on the 2nd monitor, and the pc on the first, but have the pc setup to be dual screened when i change the 2nd monitors input

I have an aux cord going from the pc sound card to the first monitor input, and the speakers coming out of the output. By itself, this works fine.

When i try and "branch" the pc sound from the 1st monitor's output to the 2nd monitor's input, and the 2nd monitor has the speakers plugged in, the PC sound works fine, but I lose my sound for the MBA

The monitors are the same brand and have internal speakers, both turned off.

I tried a y adapter, it doesnt work because the sound for the mba is going through hdmi to the monitor
Basically I want to be able to play sound off my mac while playing games on the pc, through the same set of speakers. Is this asking too much?

Any ideas? I feel like I'm over looking something with this.

Grief.exe

No wonder everyone is discussing STALKER today, its the daily deal!

I had a feeling it would go on discount when I noticed the registry apps were updated.

I also noticed they added a STALKER SoC + CoP bundle, but I guess that didn't go live in time for the daily deal.

http://steamdb.info/sub/5011/

Lot of good news out of the registry the past couple days.

STALKER CoP + SoC get a bundle, and SoC updated to reflect GSC as the publisher now, not THQ. Will probably be seeing a discount in the future.

FFVIII updated a few times today for the first time in months. Square originally added logos, languages, and icons to both FFVII and FFVIII, then started working on FFVII in earnest.

Drinkbox app updated a couple times today. They are the team behind Guacamelee, so they may getting started on that port.

Salsa

ibytkqcsbsyq1J.PNG

playin mercenary kings with the rock and triple h

Dolor

The program communicates with Steam and you're considered "in-game" when you have an achievement window open. It's a neat little trick as you don't have to download the game data itself.

Edit: And you can even idle in games that lack Steamworks achievements by using the "add game" function.

Does this also increment your game time played statistic? One of the reasons I haven't idled in most of my games is because I like having a reasonably good measure of how much time I've actually put into each of my games.

Salsa

You and jbourne made me order my own fightstick. Gonna mod the shit out of it.

the buttons are surprisingly fine. Diagonals can be a bit iffy on the stick and sometimes you don't jump even tho you feel like the input is there. I think I might just mod the stick for now honestly.

liezryou

Ok so as luck would have it, i managed to get 7/8 half life 2 cards through drops. And 1 double :(. So if anyone has an extra metrocop and wants a respite, add me :D.

Amazing. Didn't know about the music in those games, but that sounds great. It'd be really nice to be able to get into the genre. I don't mean becoming good at them, but at least not sucking so much.

May I ask what was the cheapest price for the eXceed bundle on Steam? If it wasn't lower than $6, I may cave in and get the current Indie Gala bundle tonight (which has all 3).
I think the lowest it has been is $5 but don't forget Capcom helped us getting them on Steam so the discounts are hardly going to get below that. For $6 you get a lot of other stuff in the Gala bundle, if anything to crank up the Game Count (c) ;P

The music part is no exaggeration, eventually you notice the devs love to put that kind of synchronised events, like with RayForce or Kamui or Mushihimesama Futari (stage 5 comes to my mind where the music reaches its peak and loops right as the mid-boss enters into play and then it continues the moment you blow him up since they probably timed exactly how long you take to beat him at max power).

The thing I find with shmups is that even if I suck at them (and I suck at a lot of them, lol) they are just fun to sit and play in quick sessions. No strings attached, no 60+ hours mammoth storylines. There is a reason why I put 85 hours into Crimzon Clover... I played that thing more than jRPGs. (Although Crimzon Clover is the epitome of "so much crap on screen I can't seeeee!" that I would only recommend it once you get used to weave through patterns more comfortably.)

edit: god, so much shmup fanboyism in my posts, lol. But, yeah, the best tip is also to keep an open mind and try shmup of all kinds. I've seen a lot of people stick to Touhou or CAVE only and dismiss the rest, that's probably the worst mistake as it leads to stagnation.

Dawg

Ok, due to popular (..) request, here's my first impression of Citadels

The first thing I noticed: this game looks very "simple", I know this is normal for indies, but this game has a price of 40$/€ (even if it's discounted atm) and I can't help but feel this game should be €15 max

Why?

- No multiplayer (this isn't really a con, but for 40$ you'd expect this)

- Very old school/simple design -> No intro cutscenes, only 2GB in size and "cheap" start screen

- Polish isn't that high. Units like to do their own thing when you're attacking enemies (attacking the closest building/unit instead of the one you target)

Gameplay (annoyances):

- Peasants have to run back to the town center to gether resources for building anything. At first when you're building only a few buildings near the town center, this is no problem. But after a while, you have to build mines and walls further away and they always have to run to the town center before starting. This is annoying with big cities.

- Gameplay itself is very basic AoE II like, you build a lumber mill, a farm, a mine and a stone cutter. These are your basic resources, but you can expand it with advanced building that transform lumber in planks and wheat in bread etc. My only problem with this: if you build 1 farm and 1 baker, it will transform ALL your wheat to bread and before you know it, you have 0 wheat left. And then you can't build any units/buildings until you destroy the baker. So I think you need to build two farms and 1 baker to keep up or something.

- Sound is very bland. Sometimes, you just hear nothing. There's no background soundtrack it seems. I kinda miss a medieval soundtrack. Only thing you get are some construction noises when clicking on houses etc. Also, you hear the sea/water if you hover over the water. That's cool... I guess.

- Upgrade town building when you have enough resources -> New Age. Again, this is very AoE 2 like

- You can't just train soldiers like most RTS games, you have to send regular peasants to the barracks/archer station to train them to soldiers. This can also be annoying if you don't have any spare peasants. Luckily, the town hall (at least in the tutorial) seemed to create peasants on its own as long as the max. cap isn't reached.

- As said earlier, unit AI can be annoying. Sometimes, they just chase after a random enemy unit. If the enemy keeps running away, they will keep following it. Sometimes, they lead my units to their defensive tower and my units keep chasing them and they die.

- No hot keys or anything. You can't even check your inactive soldiers/peasants, you have to rely on your eyes, which is also irritating since inactive peasants tend to stand behind a house they have built. A simple "check inactive units" button should be basic in 2013. You'd certainly expect something like that for 40$

- Don't expect any voice acting from heroes or units or... anything.

To finish my current (and maybe short) impression, you also have towers and walls you can build. Basic stuff if you're used to RTS games, but they look quite decent and you can build a decent fortress this way that looks nice. Graphics are decent enough, but regular indie quality.

Screenshots: http://steamcommunity.com/app/238870/screenshots/?p=1&browsefilter=toprated (I'm the only uploader atm lol)

TL;DR:

Should you buy it for 40$? Aw hell no
35$? Nope
30$? No
25$ Probably not
20$? Still kinda expensive, but it's almost worth it at this point
15$? Maybe, just don't expect an amazing RTS a la AoE 2 though
also, you have a chance to get a foil card, current one is 17$ on the market

chugen

have fun

Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl -- MB-7C41C106D87E1E90

Dawg

Sounds like Citadels should have been an early access game instead of a full release.

Early access and a cheaper price imho. But yeah, a lot of stuff could have been fixed by doing early access.

Not being able to check inactive units really irritates me :p

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I've only played STALKER Shadow Of Chernobyl but it's easily up their with my other favourite FPS of all time.

It's rough around the edges but it's a brilliant experience. You may find it a bit hard to get into at the start, but if you stick with it for a few hours there's a good chance it will suck you into its world hard. Amazing atmosphere and so many great mods out there to choose from also.

Definitely give it a shot if you like FPS and especially janky eastern european ones with loads of ambition.

IamAwake

Finally resumed Ys: Oath in Felghana. Was my first ever steam purchase... got stuck on the lava bird boss... finally beat it last night. Really getting back into this game. Awesome game! I am now up to snowy mines. Anyone know how much I have left?

derExperte

TL;DR:

Should you buy it for 40$? Aw hell no
35$? Nope
30$? No
25$ Probably not
20$? Still kinda expensive, but it's almost worth it at this point
15$? Maybe, just don't expect an amazing RTS a la AoE 2 though
also, you have a chance to get a foil card, current one is 17$ on the market

Thanks! Doesn't sound like anything special which was to expected. Still strange that they did such a stealth release. I'll pass and buy AoE2 instead the next time it goes on sale.

The_Monk

I'm only 2-3 hours in The Night of the Rabbit but I can tell I'm going to love the game even more. The art style is simply amazing, such vibrant colors too. If you want a Point & Click you should get this fellow GAFfers.

I was saving this one for the Winter since it's great to play some P&C Games in the cold winter, however, this one is a Summer Adventure so it's okay. I really hope more people can experience this.

zkylon

zkylewd
I really need to give it another shot. Its such a deep game.

yeah it's one of those games people often drop in the first 15 minutes

but it's definitely worth the early struggle, exploring the zone is probably one of the best - if not the best - open worlds there is. just how everything interacts with everything and creates unique scenes, maybe a pack of dogs chasing some poor soon-to-be-dead dude off in the distance, or a group of bandits getting torn to shreds by an anomaly, random shit like that makes the world feel really alive and interesting.

plus the dynamic quests and stashes and stuff just keeps giving you reasons to explore, then you have the blowouts, artifact hunting, etc.

it's just an amazing game, breaks my heart we won't be ever seeing another stalker game

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
You and jbourne made me order my own fightstick. Gonna mod the shit out of it.
Everyone who plays games should have an arcade stick of some kind. They make a massive difference when playing certain genres. Old arcade games, beat 'em ups, fighting games, shmups, 2D platformers. Some games are just significantly better with an arcade stick.

Customizing a stick is also a lot of fun. Everytime I get frustrated losing in a fighting game, I look down at my stick and see Carey Mulligan's beautiful smile. Washes the salt away.

DukeBobby

Does the combat in Assassin's Creed 3 get any harder later on?

At the moment, it's all cinematic, slow motion, press one button to kill everyone. I think I've only been hit about 3 times. I remember it being a bit more difficult in the other games, and even then it was pathetically easy.

I see, I hope they are not too much spaced out otherwise I can see myself enjoying this on the lowest difficulty just for the gameplay and Story elements.

Thank you both for answering my good fellow GAFfers.

The games saves when you enter certain areas, and that means every 15-20 minutes or so.

Also, the game is horribly easy (even on normal), so don't play in easy mode.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I think Gaben is dropping tons of dupe cards to encourage trading/buying. I got 4/5 of the same Stacking cards, 3/5 Costume Quest, and 3/4 Nuclear Dawn cards.

Grief.exe

Does the combat in Assassin's Creed 3 get any harder later on?

At the moment, it's all cinematic, slow motion, press one button to kill everyone. I think I've only been hit about 3 times. I remember it being a bit more difficult in the other games, and even then it was pathetically easy.

Hasn't it always been press X to win?

derExperte

catabarez

Everyone who plays games should have an arcade stick of some kind. They make a massive difference when playing certain genres. Old arcade games, beat 'em ups, fighting games, shmups, 2D platformers. Some games are just significantly better with an arcade stick.

Customizing a stick is also a lot of fun. Everytime I get frustrated losing in a fighting game, I look down at my stick and see Carey Mulligan's beautiful smile. Washes the salt away.

Gonna go all nuts and attempt to install some clear buttons with LEDs. After I install a PS360+

Grief.exe

that's the fake non offensive version

ze7ygJycUt2iwAkItsgzy_UIXH0LeK8tBbwVh-rHWjBVTwtwJRG2kST4Cpxp0LUk5A=w705

Holy shit, they didn't even change the logo that much

Snuggle-Truck-art.jpg

Smuggle Truck is a 2011 driving/racing action video game developed by Owlchemy Labs.[1] According to PC Magazine, Apple rejected the game from being sold in the iTunes Store but will allow the Snuggle Truck version to be sold.[2] The original version of the game has been "under fire" from immigrant advocates since it was announced in February 2011.[3] When initially announced the game was called "a tasteless and horrible joke" by the Executive director of the Massachusetts Immigrant and Refugee Advocacy Coalition. One of the games creators has said the game "is a comment on immigration, not just a joke".[4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom