• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenrius

I played through Shadow of Chernobyl back when it was released, can't say I was able to enjoy all aspects of it. First of all, visual aesthetics were a huge turn-off for me, didn't find the world appealing at all. Outside of that, while I could appreciate the very open nature of the game, the hardcore aspects of the shooting and certain atmospheric moments (mostly involving dungeons), it was still way too janky to my tastes. The faction system was only nominal, for example. The last mission worsened my impression even further (which seems to happen to me a lot, for some reason) as it was simply rubbish despite lots of build-up preceding it, and the ending that followed was ridiculous. I cared enough to try the second game, but didn't stomach more than a couple of hours, have been kinda allergic to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ever since.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
wait, you can get cards using steam achievement manager? I thought it was just for cheevos.

The program communicates with Steam and you're considered "in-game" when you have an achievement window open. It's a neat little trick as you don't have to download the game data itself.

Edit: And you can even idle in games that lack Steamworks achievements by using the "add game" function.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
STALKER's one of the most disgusting game worlds that I've fallen in love with. The combo of industrial equipment and putrid waste stands right up there with Silent Hill in terms of places I love to stand in digitally but would never like to actually find myself in.

A lot of the fun for me comes in exploring the abandoned remains of areas since I used to be quite a fiend for urban exploration.

The program communicates with Steam and you're considered "in-game" when you have an achievement window open. It's a neat little trick as you don't have to download the game data itself.

Edit: And you can even idle in games that lack Steamworks achievements by using the "add game" function.

i just downloaded indie game the movie and now you tell me.

So this new Space Hulk came out of nowhere for me. I remember playing and enjoying Vengeance of the Blood Angels on PlayStation 1. Apparently this one coming out next month is a remake of the original which I've never played but am excited for any way. Is it supposed to be good? I haven't read a thing about it.

Can I use that achievement manager thing to delete my three Team Fortress 2 achievements? I'm never going to play it again and it's murdering my overall completion rate.

So, if someone asks for all three of the raffle keys, could he (in theory) win all three? Is that how it works, or does ModBot make sure that the winners for each game in a raffle are different? Has that been addressed by Stump?

I already own the three games and I'm not participating in the raffle, for the record, I'm just curious :p

Yes, see below :p.

Thanks for the giveaway Woo, signed up for Terraria.

I could be wrong, but I remember seeing something about if you sign up for more then one game in a giveaway, you get automatically disqualified for all of them. I'm assuming it's the same here.

Correct.

My pleasure :). Thank you fellow GAFers for all the kind comments about these raffles. I haven't replied to each comment as I didn't want to spam up the thread but I can assure you that each comment has been most gratefully received :D.

Huh. Maybe there should be a disclaimer for that along with the other rules. I get how that goes without saying for the "first-to-PM" giveaways, but for long raffles people might be signing up for all three without any malicious intent just to see if they win anything and getting disqualified.

There is:

To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

This is standard wording in every ModBot giveaway, whether a raffle or not. Anyone who gifts a game via ModBot gets a PM from ModBot including this stipulation with the request from ModBot to quote his PM in the thread.

So if anyone enters for more than one game they will miss out because they failed to RTFM!!!! :p

maty

Adding up the transactions manually is the only way. IIRC, Enhanced Steam's market total is more of an approximation as it doesn't distinguish between currency types (for some odd reason, the prices are listed in the currency used by the buyer, not the currency tied to your Wallet -- so you have US dollars, UK pounds, Russian rubles, and so on).

Thanks for the response, I wished the market had a different tab or a filter to show items sold and bought separately, as well as giving you the total for each.

That way it would be easier to check if in fact I did spend my own money on cards or not, I'm pretty sure I did not but I'd like to confirm that. I guess I'll have to do it manually :/

Another good feature would be to filter items/cards per game/id, so that you could check how much you spent on crafting a specific badge.

Acorn

Does anyone know how to exit Kerbal Space station to the main menu or the game completely from the hanger or building overview screen?

Can't find a way to exit and I've had to ctrl alt and del to get out.

I can sell shit now!

Oh...cards are like $0.18.

I could have bought Tomb Raider Anniversary with those.

I made about $7 selling cards. I just wasn't stingy about it and went for it.

I also kept like 4-5 games running on my PC at a time. But it's not like bitch work or anything. Maybe for my PC.

Anustart

I've got some major first world problems going on over here gaf. I really liked what I played of System Shock 2 but Binding of Isaac is being a bastard and sucking all my gaming time!

Signed,

Too Many Diversions.

Grief.exe

I played through Shadow of Chernobyl back when it was released, can't say I was able to enjoy all aspects of it. First of all, visual aesthetics were a huge turn-off for me, didn't find the world appealing at all. Outside of that, while I could appreciate the very open nature of the game, the hardcore aspects of the shooting and certain atmospheric moments (mostly involving dungeons), it was still way too janky to my tastes. The faction system was only nominal, for example. The last mission worsened my impression even further (which seems to happen to me a lot, for some reason) as it was simply rubbish despite lots of build-up preceding it, and the ending that followed was ridiculous. I cared enough to try the second game, but didn't stomach more than a couple of hours, have been kinda allergic to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ever since.

I imagine playing Stalker at release would be frustrating and janky.

Its evolved and gained new life through mods. Almost a completely different game.

Similar to KOTORII or Vampire The Masquerade

maneil99

rdO9qV0.png

Thank you trading cards

AlexBasch

I made about $7 selling cards. I just wasn't stingy about it and went for it.

I also kept like 4-5 games running on my PC at a time. But it's not like bitch work or anything. Maybe for my PC.
I managed to get decent drops for my games because I was actually playing them. :p But I'm only interested in selling repeats or something, I'd like the badge instead, haha.

EDIT: Oh geez, great. I was waiting for STALKER during the Summer Sale and it never went down and now there's this. Well done.

JaseC

I've got some major first world problems going on over here gaf. I really liked what I played of System Shock 2 but Binding of Isaac is being a bastard and sucking all my gaming time!

Signed,

Too Many Diversions.

I need to develop a plan of attack for the handful of games I have on the go at the moment: Just Cause 2, AssCreed 3's DLC, Dark Souls, Mark of the Ninja, Age 2 HD and the Grim Dawn alpha.

Gvaz

Banned
You have created 151 listings this year. Before you can sell or list more than 200 items in a calendar year, we are required to collect certain information from you. Please click here to provide the necessary information. To find out more about this requirement, please visit the FAQ.

WTF is this?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You have created 151 listings this year. Before you can sell or list more than 200 items in a calendar year, we are required to collect certain information from you. Please click here to provide the necessary information. To find out more about this requirement, please visit the FAQ.

WTF is this?

The government of the United States of the free world is going to throw you in freedom jail if you don't drone strike your tax information to them in the name of blessed Jesus of the House of Representatives

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

WTF is this?

Gubment wants a piece o dat pie

jediyoshi

WTF is this?

Obama wants all your foils.

They basically just ask for your ssn and you can immediately get back to listing an unlimited amount now.

The guys in charge of the Incognita livstream mentioned that there will be a beta period similar to Don't Starve's, so Early Access for that title is basically confirmed. They're hoping to have it ready for Steam within the next couple of months, if I recall correctly.

JaseC

WTF is this?

The IRS requires US-based merchants to collect preliminary data on users who reach 200 sales transactions within a calendar year, though this information is only acted upon if the person also reaches $20k in earnings for the year. If you're an international user, all you have to do is "sign" a digital form declaring that you're not a US resident for tax purposes and then you're left alone.

Does anyone know how to exit Kerbal Space station to the main menu or the game completely from the hanger or building overview screen?

Can't find a way to exit and I've had to ctrl alt and del to get out.

There should be an orange button to the right of Launch, that points right, that takes you out of the hangar to a bird's eye view of the whole complex. You hit it again at the bottom right of the screen to get to the main menu.

twelver

So this new Space Hulk came out of nowhere for me. I remember playing and enjoying Vengeance of the Blood Angels on PlayStation 1. Apparently this one coming out next month is a remake of the original which I've never played but am excited for any way. Is it supposed to be good? I haven't read a thing about it.

Well the board game is incredible. Not sure if these guys will do it justice or not.

The guys in charge of the Incognita livstream mentioned that there will be a beta period similar to Don't Starve's, so Early Access for that title is basically confirmed. They're hoping to have it ready for Steam within the next couple of months, if I recall correctly.

That sounds great. I have great hopes in Incognita.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

WTF is this?

Some US government stuff.

Thank goodness I'm not living there. Apparently you need to submit your social security number. For us non-US citizens you just fill up a survey.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The IRS requires US-based merchants to collect preliminary data on users who reach 200 sales transactions within a calendar year, though this information is only acted upon if the person also reaches $20k in earnings for the year. If you're an international user, all you have to do is "sign" a digital form declaring that you're not a US resident for tax purposes and then you're left alone.

Unless you, at some point in time, told Steam you had an US address. Then you're stuck in limbo forever:

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

We apologize for the delay.

It looks like at one point you entered United States as your billing country, possibly while traveling, or possibly in error.

Unfortunately, due to tax reasons if we have any history referring to a United States billing address we are required by law to go through the verification process.

The requested forms are sent to a third party for verification. As soon as we receive the confirmation back from the verification company your account will be updated and the limit removed.

This is an automatic process, if this hasn't happened we are still awaiting confirmation on the documentation you provided.

Steam Support is unable to remove the limitation until you’re documents have been verified.

Typos and everything (your/you're.. i mean cmon)

Almost a entire month has passed since I filled the form in.

Grief.exe

My most wanted game right now, thanks for posting fellow GAFfer going to watch right now with a cup of Coffee.

I heard of some Save game issues and/or you can't save anywhere, is this true?

It has a checkpoint system unfortunately, that seems to be the major complaint.

One of my most wanted games as well.

The_Monk

The game only has autosaves at certain points, this is correct.

It has a checkpoint system unfortunately, that seems to be the major complaint.

One of my most wanted games as well.

I see, I hope they are not too much spaced out otherwise I can see myself enjoying this on the lowest difficulty just for the gameplay and Story elements.

Thank you both for answering my good fellow GAFfers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom