• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone who plays games should have an arcade stick of some kind. They make a massive difference when playing certain genres. Old arcade games, beat 'em ups, fighting games, shmups, 2D platformers. Some games are just significantly better with an arcade stick.

Customizing a stick is also a lot of fun. Everytime I get frustrated losing in a fighting game, I look down at my stick and see Carey Mulligan's beautiful smile. Washes the salt away.

Yeah, it really does change how certain genres play. After building a custom stick I found myself moving more and more into stuff like fighters and SHMUPS. They just feel so satisfying to play with a stick, I don't really buy much of a performance gain over a pad, but the feel is unbeatable. As such (and since I don't want a next gen console for a few years if at all) it's nice that the PC is starting to see more and more of those types of games. I just want the next big Namco fighter to also get a PC release, but I might just be dreaming there.

Salsa

posting here in case someone considers this a deal breaker since it's never properly highlighted on the store page:

the new Adventure Time game doesnt have online multiplayer

k-bigpic.jpg

original.jpg

bummer, but I guess it's mostly intended for kids

I'll get it anyway

posting here in case someone considers this a deal breaker since it's never properly highlighted on the store page:

the new Adventure Time game doesnt have online multiplayer

bummer, but I guess it's mostly intended for kids

I'll get it anyway[/url]
Son of a ...I was going to play this with friends. Appreciate local co-op but in this day and ag, not having it for a title clearly focused around that is just stupid. Most of my friends who would be interested in this either moved away or are online mostly.

Guess I'll scratch it off the list.

edit for typo

Grief.exe

Yeah, it really does change how certain genres play. After building a custom stick I found myself moving more and more into stuff like fighters and SHMUPS. They just feel so satisfying to play with a stick, I don't really buy much of a performance gain over a pad, but the feel is unbeatable. As such (and since I don't want a next gen console for a few years if at all) it's nice that the PC is starting to see more and more of those types of games. I just want the next big Namco fighter to also get a PC release, but I might just be dreaming there.

Namco is porting Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 Full Burst Special Edition Remix Ninja Gaiden Edtion Plus

I would consider that a more obscure game, so you can expect more from Namco. I think Dark Souls really gave them the wake up call to PC gaming.

As for fighters, we should have KOFXIII and Skullgirls coming very soon.

Salsa

Son of a ...I was going to play this with friends. Appreciate local co-op but in this day and age, but not having it for a title clearly focused around that is just stupid. Most of my friends who would be interested in this either moved away or are online mostly.

Guess I'll scratch it off the list.

yeah. Thankfully one of my buds is a big adventure time fan as well so we'll play through it, but 4 people would have been nice

I was originally hoping for some kind of Metal Slug, but it seems quite different, more about platforming.

It's not necessarily bad, I might try to get a copy from a 4-pack.

Well, you aren't wrong. Posted my first few impressions in the Merc thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=628901&page=2

I'll echo the sentiment of the music being fantastic. It's very fitting for this type of game. Gamepad also seems to be a must have, so far.

It's not as fluid as Metal Slug, but I think it's designed to be that way. The controls have you value your timing and space, it's more deliberate with your jumping/ducking/aim. Don't go in expecting the same type of spam fest, at least not at first.

Will play more later.

It plays a lot more like certain old school games not of the Metal Slug genre. Pacing is completely different as well. Your characters also have a certain weight to them.

zkylon

zkylewd
SoC didn't click for me until a few hours in, when I got past the Bar area, then I started to really get sucked into the game.

yeah getting to the bar, even if you're not loving the game is a good idea. when the game opens up and you start getting into abandoned underground stations and such I can't imagine anyone not getting hooked

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Gonna go all nuts and attempt to install some clear buttons with LEDs. After I install a PS360+
I went with clear Seimitsu screw-ons with art under the buttons. Didn't want Carey to have a bunch of holes in her.
I need a pic

also im getting this
I'll take one when I get home. I use that same jlf, although I bought a Link so the shaft is removable. Focus Attack is the only seller I use. Very fast, and Jaleel will make sure your happy. Great dude, great business.

Well, you aren't wrong. Posted my first few impressions in the Merc thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=628901&page=2

"I'll echo the sentiment of the music being fantastic. It's very fitting for this type of game. Gamepad also seems to be a must have, so far.

It's not as fluid as Metal Slug, but I think it's designed to be that way. The controls have you value your timing and space, it's more deliberate with your jumping/ducking/aim. Don't go in expecting the same type of spam fest, at least not at first.

Will play more later."

It plays a lot more like certain old school games not of the Metal Slug genre. Pacing is completely different as well.

Thanks a lot! I completely missed the dedicated thread :)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I wish they'd make an arcade stick that works on all systems. I don't want to have to buy 3 separate sticks or modify one just because they're stingy.

Salsa

I wish they'd make an arcade stick that works on all systems. I don't want to have to buy 3 separate sticks or modify one just because they're stingy.

they exist

also im surprised at how every game so far (even mercenary kings, wich is early access) recognizes this stick automatically without any tinkering/remapping, considering it's PS3 and not 360

ii4bOteVKlpTv.PNG

otherwise joy2key, motionjoy etc are your friends

Quick question guys as I'm new to steam.

I was just sending out some friend requests and suddenly steam turned to German on me.
Where's the option to change it back to English kept?

Ta in advance.

Edit- Sorted.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I ordered a Qanba PS3/PC stick that doesn't work on my PC. No drivers. It's supposed to install them when you plug it in, but I tried on 3 different computers with the same result on each. I can't find them online, either.

I'd get a PS360+ and install it in a Hori before I ever bought a Qanba again. Qanba customer support doesn't exist.

Salsa

I ordered a Qanba PS3/PC stick that doesn't work on my PC. No drivers. It's supposed to install them when you plug it in, but I tried on 3 different computers with the same result on each. I can't find them online, either.

I'd get a PS360+ and install it in a Hori before I ever bought a Qanba again. Qanba customer support doesn't exist.

all I know about compatibility issues is that MadCatz PS3 sticks dont seem to work on Nvidia chips, but who the hell uses those nForce motherboards?

ibytkqcsbsyq1J.PNG

playin mercenary kings with the rock and triple h

Awesome! I at least need to find me that Brawl fightstick...could use it for a lot of games in my collection, particularly Skullgirls (still in beta). Might even get SSF4AE if the price is right...should have bought it during the Steam sale.

Salsa

One hundred seventy dollaroes. O_O

Mainly want to get one for MAME and the occasional PS360 fighter. No that much though.

you can also get a 360 or PS3 stick and mod it to work on anything, but I think that's as expensive if not more (pretty sure you need a whole new board)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Doesn't PS3 support regular HID USB drivers? PC and PS3, while not ideal would be better than one or the other.

Salsa

Doesn't PS3 support regular HID USB drivers? PC and PS3, while not ideal would be better than one or the other.

I think some PS3 sticks require the propietary Intel usb thingie, can't remember the name

you can always get a cheap usb port

every 360 stick works perfectly on PC tho, it just recognizes it same way it does a 360 controller

Probably a noob-ish question but is there any way to get the Tatsunoko fightstick (for the Wii) to work on PC? Seeing as I already have that stick and all.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
all I know about compatibility issues is that MadCatz PS3 sticks dont seem to work on Nvidia chips, but who the hell uses those nForce motherboards?
Yeah, this is an issue with my particular stick. All I need are the drivers. I just can't download them, because Qanba doesn't give a fuck about providing any sort of customer support.

mannerbot

you can also get a 360 or PS3 stick and mod it to work on anything, but I think that's as expensive if not more (pretty sure you need a whole new board)

It's cheap if you are capable of doing the mod yourself. Just get a 360 stick and a Cthulhu board (adding PS3 compatibility) is $35; there are also solderless kits now. Check out Tech Talk subforum at shoryuken.com if interested.

Salsa

Probably a noob-ish question but is there any way to get the Tatsunoko fightstick (for the Wii) to work on PC? Seeing as I already have that stick and all.

MayFlash Wii Classic Controller to USB converter should work

edit: yup

it's also the same stick I just bought. I think your buttons are a bit less quality since this is newer but it's pretty much the same thing.

Is modbot broken again?

Given that chugen's awesome ModBot gift earlier is still apparently unclaimed, I would hazard to say yes.

Stump might be doing some coding; I PM'd him earlier to say that I wasn't getting receipt PM's from ModBot when gifts were claimed so he might be fixing that. So feel free to blame me in lieu of any other information. I'll try not to take it personally *sniff*.

Exeunt

No wonder everyone is discussing STALKER today, its the daily deal!

I had a feeling it would go on discount when I noticed the registry apps were updated.

I also noticed they added a STALKER SoC + CoP bundle, but I guess that didn't go live in time for the daily deal.

http://steamdb.info/sub/5011/

There was a SoC + CoP bundle previously, but they yanked it at the beginning of the sale (I'm guessing to switch SoC over to GSC's ownership from THQ's). Now that CoP's price is up and the new bundle isn't listed, I technically saved a few cents by trading for these during the sale thanks to trading cards. Funny how that all works out! I'm glad the games aren't going to get yanked any time soon either.

I wonder if 48 hour "dailies" are here to stay, or if they're just bleeding over from the sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom