• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

liezryou

Lame daily, i already have it :(. Also makes me more angry i paid 22.50$ in preorder :(. And this is why i usually never kickstart/preorder games.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I saw Faerie Solitaire on PixyJunket's profile, got interested and wishlisted it. Sometime later he gifts it to me. Thanks man, you're rad!

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I'm going to write some pretty bad fan-fiction that involves all three of those games for you, so here it goes...
Congratulations, your the best contestant! Your also the only one, but that's besides the point. :p
Check your PM!

I'm getting infected with the madness. I bought Crusader Kings 2 last September because it was part of an Amazon Paradox pack and have never played it. So naturally I just went and bought a shit load of DLC for it. What's the matter with me?

Gooble gobble

Dawg

I wonder if EA is making less money on pc now that their most recent games aren't on steam anymore.

Obviously, they don't have to give Valve a cut anymore but I know plenty of people who don't want to buy EA games on pc because of origin. That, and their games aren't on the steam sales.

EA presented some pretty decent figures last week, I think the PC share of their revenue was higher than any of the consoles. It's just really difficult to say whether they would have done even better had their games been on Steam as well.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
I wonder if EA is making less money on pc now that their most recent games aren't on steam anymore.

Obviously, they don't have to give Valve a cut anymore but I know plenty of people who don't want to buy EA games on pc because of origin. That, and their games aren't on the steam sales.

I'm confident that the parallel universe EA that decided to stick with Steam makes a whole lot more PC money

I'm getting infected with the madness. I bought Crusader Kings 2 last September because it was part of an Amazon Paradox pack and have never played it. So naturally I just went and bought a shit load of DLC for it. What's the matter with me?

Gooble gobble

The Gaben has you. It's the completionist in all of us.

How does The Bureau: XCom Declassified look to everyone?

bureau-xcom-declassified-art.jpg

And do we know how long it's going to be?

Grief.exe

EA presented some pretty decent figures last week, I think the PC share of their revenue was higher than any of the consoles. It's just really difficult to say whether they would have done even better had their games been on Steam as well.

Their PC sector has shown the least growth over the past couple years.

Dawg

I'm confident that the parallel universe EA that decided to stick with Steam makes a whole lot more PC money

I don't even mind them having Origin, but they shouldn't make their games exclusive. Uplay doesn't do that either. Maybe they could just make BF exclusive with battlelog, but stuff like Mass Effect, Crysis and Dead Space should be on steam too.

I just like to play/buy my games on one platform. I don't want three different programs with three different accounts where all my progress is divided. Especially not on pc.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I don't mind using Origin if I have to, but the many EA games that I'm not particularly interested in and aren't on Steam I'd happily pick up were they on sale on the latter.

JaseC

I don't even mind them having Origin, but they shouldn't make their games exclusive. Uplay doesn't do that either. Maybe they could just make BF exclusive with battlelog, but stuff like Mass Effect, Crysis and Dead Space should be on steam too.

I just like to play/buy my games on one platform. I don't want three different programs with three different accounts where all my progress is divided. Especially not on pc.

Even Ubi has its fair share of games that aren't on Steam but are available elsewhere, with the examples I like to use being King Kong and Tintin (both have been sitting in the registry for yonks, though, so at some point the intention was there).

Edit: The interesting thing about Battlelog and Autolog is that they are endemic to the games they're in, not Origin itself. There's no overarching API a la Steamworks.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

I'm pretty sure I can buy it for 16 USD through paypal with all taxes paid on the Brazilian Store and gift it to anybody.

PM me if you want to find out.

Edit: I can't know for sure because Paypal Taxes is a sliding window and it's always hell to find out how much do you have to pay me, plus taxes, so I can get the required amount. The first time on a new price is always a fun discovery. 10% usually covers it, but I never know for sure.

fantomena

I need opinions GAF. How is Uprising compared to Red Alert 3? Is Tiberian Twilight as bad as everyone sayit is? Is kane's wrath and tiberium wars any good? I have them all on Origin, but I think about getting them from Steam.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Buy something from Origin when there's a good sale, like Alice for three euro's, then download and install it. Then quit Origin and launch Steam>add non-steam game>select AliceMadnessReturns.exe>profit!
Originless and the abillity to make screenshots, yay.

It was quite the revelation when I discovered this was possible. :p

JaseC

Buy something from Origin when there's a good sale, like Alice for three euro's, then download and install it. Then quit Origin and launch Steam>add non-steam game>select AliceMadnessReturns.exe>profit!
Originless and the abillity to make screenshots, yay.

It was quite the revelation when I discovered this was possible. :p

More recent titles do require the presence of the client, though. Syndicate is one such example.

I'm not particularly bothered if their games are exclusive to Origin, What really annoys me is when they're on sale everywhere but Steam. Trying to grow your business is one thing, actively trying to harm another business, which is far and away more popular, is pretty shitty.

More recent titles do require the presence of the client, though. Syndicate is one such example.

Amalur too, much to my annoyance when I got it cheap off Amazon.

Cheddahz

Banned
Congratulations, your the best contestant! Your also the only one, but that's besides the point. :p
Check your PM!

I was the only one that entered? Bummer, I love the Monkey Island games, so that's why I decided to enter it, lol

Thanks again for the game and happy birthday!

Kumubou

Ha, I have an everglide too. It's not the Titan, because I can't put it in my desk (I can, but I would have to change stuff around).

Everglide 4ever brosef
I remember buying an Everglide Giganta back in 1997, when I was playing Quake competitively... and I still use the thing to this day. I swear the thing is made of straight teflon or something; the mouse pad is so sturdy and slick that I could probably kill someone with it and just wash the blood right off. No wonder they're not around anymore; who the hell thought it was good business to make a mousepad that lasts 15+ years?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I remember buying an Everglide Giganta back in 1997, when I was playing Quake competitively... and I still use the thing to this day. I swear the thing is made of straight teflon or something; the mouse pad is so sturdy and slick that I could probably kill someone with it and just wash the blood right off. No wonder they're not around anymore; who the hell thought it was good business to make a mousepad that lasts 15+ years?

They're not? That's quite sad. I don't need a replacement (as you demonstrated), but.... They made good products!

cicero

I have been sitting on my cards since the market bottomed out hoping that it would eventually rebound. I have been ignoring it since then but I have had the distinct feeling that it won't. Up to almost 300 cards in my inventory now...

Dawg

Even Ubi has its fair share of games that aren't on Steam but are available elsewhere, with the examples I like to use being King Kong and Tintin (both have been sitting in the registry for yonks, though, so at some point the intention was there).

Edit: The interesting thing about Battlelog and Autolog is that they are endemic to the games they're in, not Origin itself. There's no overarching API a la Steamworks.

You're right about tintin but Ubi does give us their most popular games: Farcry 3 (+ expansion), Assassin's Creed, CoJ: Gunslinger and soonish Rayman

Hope they do Watch Dogs too :p

Grief.exe

Funny how the lack of growth begins right around when they started shoving Origin down everyone's throat.

Funny how that works.

You're right about tintin but Ubi does give us their most popular games: Farcry 3 (+ expansion), Assassin's Creed, CoJ: Gunslinger and soonish Rayman

Hope they do Watch Dogs too :p

Ubi doesn't force 3rd party publishing contracts on UPLAY.

That is why CoJ: Gunslinger can be full Steamworks.

I wish Watch Dogs wasn't first party...

Kumubou

I have been sitting on my cards since the market bottomed out hoping that it would eventually rebound. I have been ignoring it since then but I have had the distinct feeling that it won't. Up to almost 300 cards in my inventory now...
It kind of depends; I think things have really been watered down with the sheer number of games supporting cards... but more obscure games can still see some decent prices. I managed to sell a couple of cards for Cherry Hill High Comedy Club for around $1 the last couple of days, and I have a bunch of Ether Vapor Remaster cards that people sell for between $1-2. So the more obscure a game is, the higher the cards tend to go for (but the slower the market tends to be).

Grief.exe

I think it looks good. I preordered it, but I'm new to the franchise and loving EU. I hope we hit reward 3 so I can experience the franchise

That would be the perfect way to experience the franchise.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is one of the best games of last year and the best place to begin the series.

We can't say as definitively as we used to since RE:R failed, but every game other than that one has completed their rewards.

The_Monk

And... done! Just finished another tale, another (summer) adventure fellow GAFfers:

The Night of the Rabbit

YhCqhVQ.png

The Art Style is simply amazing, I really liked it, the Story was interesting and fun, got stuck a couple of times and there was just one section I didn't like much, the rest was okay. Voice acting is also very decent. For people who care about Achievements, two of them did not unlocked despite I've done them, so it's just might be a minor problem.

JaseC

We can't say as definitively as we used to since RE:R failed, but every game other than that one has completed their rewards.

RE6 fell short of the final goal, too, with the third reward being the Season Pass. Poor Capcom. :p

And... done! Just finished another tale, another (summer) adventure fellow GAFfers:

The Night of the Rabbit

YhCqhVQ.png

The Art Style is simply amazing, I really liked it, the Story was interesting and fun, got stuck a couple of times and there was just one section I didn't like much, the rest was okay. Voice acting is also very decent. For people who care about Achievements, two of them did not unlocked despite I've done them, so it's just might be a minor problem.

Sounds nice! Added to wishlist for next sale.

Grief.exe

RE6 fell short of the final goal, too, with the third reward being the Season Pass. Poor Capcom. :p

Did both RE:6 and RE:R fail?

I thought it was just one of them, and now that I think about it was probably RE:6.
Late port, mediocre game.

I am getting my RE's mixed up.

DukeBobby

The Night of the Rabbit

YhCqhVQ.png

I've seen nothing of this game other than screenshots, but it looks great. Unfortunately, £16.99 is just a little out of my price range. If it's 50% off in a future sale, I'll definitely pick it up, along with Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief.

JakeD

The Night of the Rabbit

YhCqhVQ.png

Sounds nice! Added to wishlist for next sale.

3 days later and the $5 dollar gift deal is still live (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=72775976&postcount=1163)

makes me think maybe its not even a pricing error

JaseC

Did both RE:6 and RE:R fail?

I thought it was just one of them, and now that I think about it was probably RE:6.
Late port, mediocre game.

I am getting my RE's mixed up.

Revelations also has pre-purchase reward tiers but I'm not sure how it fared. Steam's age gate trips up Archive.org's crawler so there's no way to travel back in time and check.

lmpaler

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is one of the best games of last year and the best place to begin the series.

I hope this one does. EU just got me hooked on these types of games. And it's extremely enjoyable because I love Sci Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom