• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

DukeBobby

I haven't played any of the sequels (or prequel) yet, but the original DE is a-fucking-mazing. It holds up perfectly well, and...

Why are you still reading this? Go and buy it and play it right now, silly!

Oh, and if Grief says something about mods (he already did), please disregard his advice. This game does not need them AT ALL.

I would say that the New Vision mod is worth getting. Other than that, no.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah there's a demo, give it a shot and see how it treats you. It sucks that it's causing difficulty for you because it really is something.
Thanks for the link, I'll try it too. I agree with Dunder that while the concept sounds interesting, the videos and screenshots fail to sell me on the game.

However, I've learned some time ago (thanks to No More Heroes and Hotline Miami) that videos don't properly capture the experience of actually playing the game, and I'm incredibly glad I decided to get both of those games anyway, so I'll give the Teleglitch demo a chance.

I would say that the New Vision mod is worth getting. Other than that, no.
Vanilla all the way! At least on my first playthrough, unless it's absolutely required (Durante's DSfix for Dark Souls comes to mind.)

Can I just say that I'm on a bit of a PC gaming high right now? The wife was out for a few nights last week, so I had some time to sit down and actually poke around with the sale games that I picked up, and I love them all. Chivalry is ridiculous fun online, it's easy to jump into and contribute to a team (I'll be totally honest and say that most of my kills as of now are ganking people who don't see me coming) but I can see that there is still plenty of depth and experience that comes into 1 vs 1 duels that I still need to learn. And the extra plus is how lean the rest of the game is, no crazy complex controls, the leveling is fairly innocuous, simple server browser without any extra logons needed. And perhaps best yet, no time wasted trying to shoehorn anything single player more than a basic intro, it knows that it's a game about wacky multiplayer fun and chooses to focus just on that.

Also loving SASR:Transformed. It's like a love letter from the Dreamcast crammed into a modern package. All the good points of a kart racer without stupid crazy rubber banding AI. All the levels that I've hit so far are completely beautiful and the bright colors and characters are a breath of fresh air. Plus, as a PC gaming rarity, they were smart enough to realize that this is a local co-op genre and actually supported it, controller configuration is a bit wonky, but it was mad fun playing with the kids locally.

Put time into Super House of Dead Ninja and Hotline Miami as well, and those are also both super unique little time killers.

I think the common theme for the games above is speed and leanness. I'm guessing that once or twice a year I'll still like a "traditional" AAA game for the spectacle. But I'm actually super glad that I avoided Tomb Raider and FarCry 3 on this sale. I might get to one of them eventually, but as a busy Dad when I have 30 min to play a game all of the stuff that I listed above lets me actually "play a game" for that amount of time. No long tutorials, embarrassing B-movie grade cutscenes, filler gameplay to extend playtime. So yeah, that's my happy rant.

lmpaler

Can I just say that I'm on a bit of a PC gaming high right now? The wife was out for a few nights last week, so I had some time to sit down and actually poke around with the sale games that I picked up, and I love them all. Chivalry is ridiculous fun online, it's easy to jump into and contribute to a team (I'll be totally honest and say that most of my kills as of now are ganking people who don't see me coming) but I can see that there is still plenty of depth and experience that comes into 1 vs 1 duels that I still need to learn. And the extra plus is how lean the rest of the game is, no crazy complex controls, the leveling is fairly innocuous, simple server browser without any extra logons needed. And perhaps best yet, no time wasted trying to shoehorn anything single player more than a basic intro, it knows that it's a game about wacky multiplayer fun and chooses to focus just on that.

Also loving SASR:Transformed. It's like a love letter from the Dreamcast crammed into a modern package. All the good points of a kart racer without stupid crazy rubber banding AI. All the levels that I've hit so far are completely beautiful and the bright colors and characters are a breath of fresh air. Plus, as a PC gaming rarity, they were smart enough to realize that this is a local co-op genre and actually supported it, controller configuration is a bit wonky, but it was mad fun playing with the kids locally.

Put time into Super House of Dead Ninja and Hotline Miami as well, and those are also both super unique little time killers.

I think the common theme for the games above is speed and leanness. I'm guessing that once or twice a year I'll still like a "traditional" AAA game for the spectacle. But I'm actually super glad that I avoided Tomb Raider and FarCry 3 on this sale. I might get to one of them eventually, but as a busy Dad when I have 30 min to play a game all of the stuff that I listed above lets me actually "play a game" for that amount of time. No long tutorials, embarrassing B-movie grade cutscenes, filler gameplay to extend playtime. So yeah, that's my happy rant.

More Chivalry love. Bro fist. Also press C to win :)

Grief.exe

Oh, and if Grief says something about mods (he already did), please disregard his advice. This game does not need them AT ALL.

I just noticed something about that mod guide that I didn't before. It includes a mod titled, 'The Shifter' that adds gameplay changes, buggy scripted events, weapons, and more.

I will recommend that people do not use that mod the next time I post that guide. Other than that, the post is entirely cosmetic changes.

I know why you put them there, but that Steam logo looks so out of place, but that Witcher cover is fucking fantastic. Should have been the original

Just keeping parity with other physical releases, they always have a section dedicated to the platform.

I agree, it does look out of place when viewed in a vacuum, but I think they will look much better when viewed as part of a collection.

Hey, is Modbot still working? I'll do a giveaway for Shogun in a raffle.

Stump fixed it yesterday.

While he is on vacation!

The_Monk

I'm really loving Torchlight 2 despite not playing that much. The main reason is, it's my go-to game when I finish one and I am thinking on what to play next.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
good luck

And if you don't win, I have 3 more left for tonight that I'll put on Twitter, I'll just drop them in tweets with missing letters/clues, the usual drill

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this Steam thread and fewer than five posts in the immediate previous Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Skulls of the Shogun -- MB-D2F050E432C82638 - Taken by eyeless

More Chivalry love. Bro fist. Also press C to win :)

I can't deny that I've been sniped by an archer a few times while getting my battlecry on. That's not going to hold me back though.

There is just something about the design of the game that seems to lead to people having a good time while playing it. Obviously there is still some purposeful TK jerks or rude teammates around, but the community just seems nice for an online multiplayer game. The battlecrys, inadvertently funny death animations, game objectives (Burning a hut is worth two peasants) all combine to have an air of fun to them. When you get shot in the back in Halo folks rage, but in Chivalry you just respawn, battle cry and get back into it.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I finally downloaded a bunch of the games from the sale. Time to choose what to start up now :(

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I just noticed something about that mod guide that I didn't before. It includes a mod titled, 'The Shifter' that adds gameplay changes, buggy scripted events, weapons, and more.

I will recommend that people do not use that mod the next time I post that guide. Other than that, the post is entirely cosmetic changes.
To be honest, I meant it both as a joke (I knew you were going to post a modding guide :p) and to let him know that I consider the game to be perfectly playable without mods.

I may have to try some of them myself, because I already played the vanilla version on my first (and only) playthrough. But still, I really liked the aesthetics of the game, and didn't find the graphics ugly.

To be honest, I meant it both as a joke (I knew you were going to post a modding guide :p) and to let him know that I consider the game to be perfectly playable without mods.

I may have to try some of them myself, because I already played the vanilla version on my first (and only) playthrough. But still, I really liked the aesthetics of the game, and didn't find the graphics ugly.
Try The Nameless Mod if you want more Deus Ex. It's an entirely new story to play that's a bit on the sillier side but holds true to the game's design.

Anyone here have R6 Raven Shield? When I launch from Steam, the game starts in windowed and I can't find any options to set to full screen.

And then I have a weird issue with the cursors, one in the game screen and one on the computer screen. My mouse moves both of them

Volotaire

What type of game is Skulls of the shogun, I see on wiki it's strategy and turn based. Anyone can give me better definition/comparison for it?

Keep your eyes on my spreadsheet, feel bad for you guys overpaying :)
First come, first served.

EDIT: They fixed the price now, so apparently it was an error.

Here is what we have been using as the FF7 OT, it has some mod advice in the OP and you can always ask for more in the thread.

Anxious Heart is a necessity for the music.

EDIT: Sorry for double post. Still used to the extreme speed of the sale thread.

Hmm, I feel really stupid now, because I find nothing about it in OP?

Edit: Nice giveaway Wario64, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom