• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not like I'm not enjoying it though, the abilities system is pretty cool, blinking is useful as hell and when you get used to the way the game does stealth, it all just clicks. I have like 9 spare runes though, and I have no idea what to use those points for. I think I'll go for the possession skill next. (Only have Blink + Dark Vision).

I found blink 2 vision 2, agility 2 and possession 2 are the only skills really necessary for stealth.

Grief.exe

This is the source of the Cave Story image: http://flyingmilkpig.deviantart.com/art/Cave-Story-Promotional-art-200275526

The original is 4492×2776, it was resized after posting but if the one Rickenslacker posted isn't big enough maybe you can get in touch with the guy for it, Grief.

Random but cool: this dude works as a background designer for Legend of Korra.

edit: this post is useless since that one was good enough but I'll leave it here!

Oh man I wish I could get a hold of that original copy at 2776p. That would be perfect, the one Ricken posted isn't quite big enough without resizing.

DagsJT

So has Dunder closed shop or not? Does that spreadsheet still work etc?

Just did a quick search and it seems he's saying he's closing up the store? I'm confused.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I just realized I called FlyingMilkPig a dude in that post, but she's a girl called Angela. Oops!

Wok

Just did a quick search and it seems he's saying he's closing up the store? I'm confused.

DH still sells, but he has less copies and he does not answer requests or PMs. You have to use the spreadsheet and wait for an answer.

FloatOn

I'm bored here at my office so I decided to look into this CastleStorm game.

It seems that it's actually good.

Has anyone played this?

masterkajo

I've made a huge mistake.

I played Dark Souls and enabled Steam Cloud Sync as well as Backup Saves in DSfix. This created a new file (up to 10 and then deletes the oldest) in my folder with a different name every 25 mins. After having played for about 25 hours now and synced with the cloud for quite a bit my Cloud Save capacity limit is now reached. I cannot delete these old cloud saves using this method because the files have a different name each time. Basically my Dark Souls Steam Cloud is now full with save backups which it won't download again unfortunately.

Any tips or tricks to empty my steam cloud?

EDIT:

Nevermind, I just found the solution. It's wasn't that Steam Cloud has all my old files it is just that Dark Souls Steam Cloud doesn't just sync the Live Folder but all folders in "NBGI\DarkSouls\*". So I had some copies of my Live folder there in case something goes wrong with the cloud saves and this triggered the cloud to upload all and thus be full.

EDIT 2:

Well, it seems the first EDIT was a bit too early to celebrate. It turned out that the method did not work for files not in my Live folder. Anyway, I managed to do it by some fidling around myself. If anyone is interested here it is:

1) Start the game in question (here Dark Souls).
2) ALT+TAB out of the game and delete all the saves (for Dark Souls under C:\Users\<username>\Documents\NGBI\DarkSouls\<Live username>) you don't want anymore.
3) Go to Steam\userdata\<your user id>\<app id> (Dark Souls App ID 211420) and open remotecache.vdf with a text editor.
4) Delete all the entries corresponding to the save files you deleted earlier (every save file entry is enclosed by { ... })
5) Save remotecache.vdf and - IMPORTANT - right click on it and make it "read-only".
6) Tab back in the game and quit it. Steam will now sync the saves listed in remotecache.vdf with the cloud deleting everything that isn't listed in remotecache.vdf in the cloud.
7) Uncheck "read-only" on remotecache.vdf and enjoy.

This still applies:

Stupid Cloud!
grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud.jpg

How does this DunderHassan spreadsheet work? If I wanted mercenary kings I would just fill a box?

Place a comment in a box with your GAF profile link + Steam profile link to make it easier for me. Steam profile link isn't really that necessary though.

A bit of both, I took my selling out of NeoGAF and just rely on Google Docs now.
I have also shutted down requesting for other games and will likely shut down completely anytime soon, but for now I will sometimes update the spreadsheet with some new stuff until I've cleaned out my inventory completely and so.

By the way, what the hell is this Teleglitch.
I'm all for retro look and the game seems kinda neat, but god, those graphics make my eyes bleed.
I was kinda interested in it, but I really cant stand how it looks in the videos, reminds me of a top-down view liero, just a mess of ugly pixels everywhere.

hitoshi

I'm bored here at my office so I decided to look into this CastleStorm game.

It seems that it's actually good.

Has anyone played this?

Yes. It is a pretty enjoyable game, not nearly as casual as it looks at first glance. It combines the archery mechanic of Angry Birds with some RPG mechanics (leveling up troops) with a great, small strategy side (building and expanding your own castle). Also, the PC version turned out to be real good! The usual ZEN quality. Okay, i am kinda biased, they are great friends of mine :)

Kifimbo

Hey guys,

I thought it would be useful to create a release dates list for the SteamGAF community. I tried to create something simple, yet comprehensive (Steam Coming Soon list isn't great). Here's a small sample, just to give you an idea:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Games of July 2013

7/29/2013 - CastleStorm - Tower Defense - Zen Studios/Zen Studios - $9.99 -
7/29/2013 - Skulls of the Shogun - Turn-based strategy - 17-BIT/17-BIT - $14.99
7/30/2013 - Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny - RPG - UIG Entertainment/Crafty Studios - $19.99
7/30/2013 - Rise of the Triad - FPS - Apogee/Interceptor Entertainment - $14.99
7/31/2013 - Cloudberry Kingdom - Platformer - Ubisoft/Pwnee Studios - $9.99

Games of August 2013

8/1/2013 - Take On Mars - Simulation - Bohemia Interactive/Bohemia Interactive - $ XX.XX
8/6/2013 - Divinity: Dragon Commander - SRPG - Larian Studios/Larian Studios - $39.99 (4-Pack for 119.99$)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A few things:

1 - I don't want to waste time, so just be honest: would this be useful ?

2 - If the answer is yes, do you have any suggestions to improve the list ? Already thinking about banners to replace "Games of July, 2013", "Games of August, 2013", etc. but I'm not good with Photoshop.

HoosTrax

Most of that info is easy enough to find at a glance by looking at the Steam "Coming Soon" tab. I'd be more interested in seeing a quick summary of games that are known to be coming to Steam, and possibly even have a known release time frame, but aren't shown in that "Coming Soon" section, like Splelunky.

Anustart

Playing through Deus Ex: Human Revolution and I'm thinking.....why the hell did I not grab this earlier? I'm absolutely loving the game. And with that said, if I'm really liking this one, would the first Deus Ex be up my alley as well? I'm not afraid of older games, and I'm playing through System Shock 2 concurrently and loving that as well.

Is the first as good, worse or better than HR?

Grief.exe

Playing through Deus Ex: Human Revolution and I'm thinking.....why the hell did I not grab this earlier? I'm absolutely loving the game. And with that said, if I'm really liking this one, would the first Deus Ex be up my alley as well? I'm not afraid of older games, and I'm playing through System Shock 2 concurrently and loving that as well.

The first one still holds up today, and if you are enjoying SS2 and Human Revolution, than it would be easy to recommend.

Bookmark the mod guide http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/ceuyh/step_by_step_moddingguide_deus_ex_i_spilled_my/

Most of that info is easy enough to find at a glance by looking at the Steam "Coming Soon" tab. I'd be more interested in seeing a quick summary of games that are known to be coming to Steam, and possibly even have a known release time frame, but aren't shown in that "Coming Soon" section, like Splelunky.

this.

I think the idea is great, but how many people actually check the OP? Most people will just ask here anyway

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
By the way, what the hell is this Teleglitch.
I'm all for retro look and the game seems kinda neat, but god, those graphics make my eyes bleed.
I was kinda interested in it, but I really cant stand how it looks in the videos, reminds me of a top-down view liero, just a mess of ugly pixels everywhere.

Teleglitch is an incredible roguelike top down shooter that excels as a horror game as well. It's desolate and dripping with goofy yet grim sci-fi, its minimal approach to audio and harsh visual presentation work really well together to create a stifling atmosphere. I can understand why it wouldn't appeal to some looking at it, and I was unsure about the quake 1 software mode look myself until I played it. Now I can't see it going any other way.

Scavanging for items and crafting bigger, badder things while on the run from dozens of very lethal creatures that will end you in so many ways while trying to prepare yourself for the eventual run-in with a much larger foe gets the hairs standing on end sometimes. All it takes is one second of being off your guard and you are completely fucked if you don't have a backup plan basically auto-installed into your muscle memory. The AI is dastardly too, they've caught me by surprise and screwed up even my best made of plans. It's a huge pleasure when you get something to really put the odds in your favor like the Meatrap:

Smearing a canned meat over higher grade explosive lets you make a trap to deviate attention away from you and towards what they think should be a tasty treat. Give it a few seconds though...
and BOOM, liquidation sale on aisle 5! Of course, this is just some early game stuff in a relatively controlled environment and a decent run. About 20 minutes after this shot was taken I died with a lot of armor and health because of one misplaced explosive trying to take a chunk out of a wave of 20 which liquidated me instead.

Something else to note is that the trailer for the game shows footage with the camera tilt and zoom activated. I have the zoom turned off out of personal preference and not because of any sort of sickness I got from playing, so the options to make the game less hard to follow are there. You can also play it windowed which shrinks it down to its native resolution which is 320x240 iirc. Teleglitch is pretty unique and a lot of fun and dudes should really jump on it.

It's a lot better if you can accept the fact that you're a complete klutz at using most weapons unless you have a laser sight attachment or enough skillpoints allocated into its proficiency.

The game allows for more specialization, has more ways of navigating the world than just hack, has actual melee combat so you're not just munching on granolas in-between pressing the win button, and just executes on the formula better (requiring only a single mandatory kill by normal playthrough means).

And the music's catchy, so it's got that going for it too.

Grief.exe

I really think that the Bioshock 2 and Batman:AA/AC updates have been contracted out to the same company.

The frequency of updates just seems to line up too perfectly.

There were only one updated for both Bioshock 2 and Batman:AA/AC updates all of last week, and they occurred at similar times.
They have lined up like this for the entire time I have been watching the registry apps.

There was just an update to Bioshock 2.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The last few Lego games were, so Marvel Superheroes will probably be so as well.

It depends on the publisher. The last couple were published by WB so they were. This is Disney so nothing is guaranteed. The last Disney property Lego game that came out was Pirate of the Caribbean and that didn't even get released on Steam (worst case scneario for Marvel).

Vecks

I played the first game for the first time like a year or two ago and liked it more than human revolution.

Volotaire

The first is better than this one.

Although I like the inclusion of side quests in HR, as well as the shooting not being based on RPG stats and the world design.

It depends on the publisher. The last couple were published by WB so they were. This is Disney so nothing is guaranteed. The last Disney property Lego game that came out was Pirate of the Caribbean and that didn't even get released on Steam (worst case scneario for Marvel).

Last I checked, WB is publishing this one as well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hey guys,

I thought it would be useful to create a release dates list for the SteamGAF community. I tried to create something simple, yet comprehensive (Steam Coming Soon list isn't great). Here's a small sample, just to give you an idea:

Most useful if it's a) totally comprehensive + b) manually curated to mention releases of significance

Kifimbo

The Steam Coming Soon tab has 30 games. This list is gonna have 200+ games. :) Splelunky will of course be there. I just showed a small sample for you guys to see how it looks.

I think the idea is great, but how many people actually check the OP? Most people will just ask here anyway

In the future, in could be post #2. Would be easy to paste the URL when someone asks for a date.

Anyone know if the upcoming Lego: Marvel is going to be Steamworks?

Reminds me I have to find a way to identifty Steamworks games from regular Steam games.

a) totally comprehensive

It will be. I expect people here to contribute if games are missing or informations are wrong.

b) manually curated to mention releases of significance

What do you mean ? What do you have in mind ?

*Teleglitch review*

Thanks for an excellent review of this, i like this kind of games and it really seems great but...
Seriously...
Those pics are just nauseating, if I didn't know what game it was, I would have no idea what the hell I'm looking at.
I keep watching videos over and over again to decide if I can live with that, but man, it really looks awful.
When you walk it looks like everything in the screen is moving around and flickering.
I guess I have to see this in person to decide, is there a demo?

On another note, was thinking of starting a game of Final Fantasy 7, my fourth or fifth playthrough, can I finally make it the whole way? (quitted right before the last boss each time)
I always see those excellent mods being posted for some old games, are there some for FF7?
Is there an OT for FF7, it's quite hard to find it.

Grief.exe

On another note, was thinking of starting a game of Final Fantasy 7, my fourth or fifth playthrough, can I finally make it the whole way? (quitted right before the last boss each time)
I always see those excellent mods being posted for some old games, are there some for FF7?
Is there an OT for FF7, it's quite hard to find it.

Here is what we have been using as the FF7 OT, it has some mod advice in the OP and you can always ask for more in the thread.

Anxious Heart is a necessity for the music.

EDIT: Sorry for double post. Still used to the extreme speed of the sale thread.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Thanks for an excellent review of this, i like this kind of games and it really seems great but...
Seriously...
Those pics are just nauseating, if I didn't know what game it was, I would have no idea what the hell I'm looking at.
I keep watching videos over and over again to decide if I can live with that, but man, it really looks awful.
When you walk it looks like everything in the screen is moving around and flickering.
I guess I have to see this in person to decide, is there a demo?

Yeah there's a demo, give it a shot and see how it treats you. It sucks that it's causing difficulty for you because it really is something.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Man, I was in some underground area in Stalker and I got surprised by an invisible mutant and right as I sprayed bullets in panic my gun jammed.

Most pants shitting moment of the year!

Tellaerin

The original DX is considered a classic for good reason. The visuals are a bit dated now (though there are mods that help with that), but the music is timeless (Alexander Brandon FTW), and the openness and freedom to approach objectives the way you want to is still virtually unmatched. (Oh, and the story's phenomenal, too.)

KNT-Zero

I finished Rayman Origins last week. I.LOVE.THIS.GAME. (I already posted that before, but whatever!)
Didn't get all the Electoons though, but I did get to finish Land of the Livid Dead. I would be generous if I just said that that stage is challenging....o_O

Anyway, I'm drooling over Legends, now that it comes to PC :p Hopefully Ubi won't make a "FF7 Squeenix" move and force people to use their shitty Ubi service :/

I've also been playing Dungeon Hearts. Really awesome game, definitely worth the price it has. The bad thing is that I got a weird error on a MAC (which I posted on the game's Community Hub last week) and I can't play it even though I delete its local content and reinstall it :(

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

I haven't played any of the sequels (or prequel) yet, but the original DE is a-fucking-mazing. It holds up perfectly well, and...

Why are you still reading this? Go and buy it and play it right now, silly!

Oh, and if Grief says something about mods (he already did), please disregard his advice. This game does not need them AT ALL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom