• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acccent

Detail View/No Icon is the only right way to Steam.
This guy gets it.
Those guys get it.

I'm surprised there isn't more love for the Air theme though? It's pretty awesome.
cdd4XZG.png

JakeD

just spent 20 minutes trying to speed-decipher jonathan blow's steam code puzzles on twitter....only to look and see it was for indie game the movie which i already own

Blizzard

Banned
Expeditions: Conquistador actually looks pretty neat. $5 would be good, but considering the game just came out 2 months ago, I can understand why they might not. I will probably get it at $10 anyway since I apparently missed it at that price during the summer sale, or I just plain hadn't heard of it.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Cool. Which games did you download or buy this sale?

Some are Euro truck 2, Civ 5 BNW, house of super dead ninjas, chivalry, dark souls, magical drop v, don't starve, dyad, giana sisters, kerbal, hotline miami, mount and blade warband, prison arch, risen, roller coaster tycoon 3, sleeping dogs, infinite space, sins judgement, they bleed pixels, stronghold collection, under the ocean, magical drop V.

Please help me pick, My download caps don't let me download much so I need to make the choice count!

smr00

Banned
Is there any way of selecting multiple games to put them in X category? It's starting to get tiresome to it individually.

HoosTrax

Ok, here's a bigger sample of what I'm working on. More games coming. What do you think ? Gonna add pre-order discounts later.
Looking good so far.

I wonder if there's a date set in stone yet, for Project CARS to open up to Early Access. Looking forward to trying that one.

---

Wonder if the NASCAR game that released last week is any good...sounds boring on paper. Need more GT racing games.

So 5 hours into Warband...yeah it's definitely my favorite game in my library. And yet, it feels like I've barely scratched the surface

Maybe it's because I've been taken prisoner like 6 times...keep losing my entourage

In the options, says X to toggle weapon mode. What does that mean? I've tried it with swords and daggers and axes and nothing happens.

Oh, so far nothing is more satisfying than doing a custom battle of 100 on 100. So fun. In Siege, how do I open the castle gate?

Has anyone tried the Floris mod? I see there are three types: basic, general, and expanded. On ModDB, it says that the mod is very performance intensive. I don't want basic; all the good stuff is in general and expanded. To those who remember my specs, could I run the general or expanded Floris mod? I can already run Warband on high.

Nabs

Some are Euro truck 2, Civ 5 BNW, house of super dead ninjas, chivalry, dark souls, magical drop v, don't starve, dyad, giana sisters, kerbal, hotline miami, mount and blade warband, prison arch, risen, roller coaster tycoon 3, sleeping dogs, infinite space, sins judgement, they bleed pixels, stronghold collection, under the ocean, magical drop V.

Please help me pick, My download caps don't let me download much so I need to make the choice count!

You really can't go wrong with a lot of those. If bandwidth is an issue, I recommend going with Hotline Miami. Download the beta patch, but put your volume all the way up.

I'm a big fan of Sleeping Dogs as well, but it's about 12gb. Grab that whenever you have the bandwidth to spare (along with this High Res pack).

Wynnebeck

Banned
Doing my install run of Retro/Grade and halfway through it, it's pretty fun. After I beat this tonight, I'll get back on Dishonored.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
You really can't go wrong with a lot of those. If bandwidth is an issue, I recommend going with Hotline Miami. Download the beta patch, but put your volume all the way up.

I'm a big fan of Sleeping Dogs as well, but it's about 12gb. Grab that whenever you have the bandwidth to spare (along with this High Res pack).

Excellent, thanks! I hope to go download crazy at the end of this months billing to get as close to my cap as possible without going over. Sucks having all these games you can't actually play haha.

Crayons

Banned
Expeditions: Conquistador actually looks pretty neat. $5 would be good, but considering the game just came out 2 months ago, I can understand why they might not. I will probably get it at $10 anyway since I apparently missed it at that price during the summer sale, or I just plain hadn't heard of it.

But it would have been $5 if it won community choice.

DukeBobby

Euro Truck Simulator 2 is all you need.

Tecl0n

So 5 hours into Warband...yeah it's definitely my favorite game in my library. And yet, it feels like I've barely scratched the surface

Maybe it's because I've been taken prisoner like 6 times...keep losing my entourage

In the options, says X to toggle weapon mode. What does that mean? I've tried it with swords and daggers and axes and nothing happens.

Oh, so far nothing is more satisfying than doing a custom battle of 100 on 100. So fun. In Siege, how do I open the castle gate?

Has anyone tried the Floris mod? I see there are three types: basic, general, and expanded. On ModDB, it says that the mod is very performance intensive. I don't want basic; all the good stuff is in general and expanded. To those who remember my specs, could I run the general or expanded Floris mod? I can already run Warband on high.

As long as you don't go crazy on high in-battle numbers you should be ok. (Then again reducing battle number, reduces difficulty...)

Nabs

Excellent, thanks! I hope to go download crazy at the end of this months billing to get as close to my cap as possible without going over. Sucks having all these games you can't actually play haha.

You picked some really good games. I would definitely download as many as possible before the end of the month.

It has to be open to actually launch the game. But you can browse it with your client closed. Also great for people who are at work/etc and don't have access to the client but want to browse it.

Also, if you click the "Play" button while the client is not open, it will simply launch the client, ask you to sign in, then launch the game.

This is probably impossible but would you be able to add an option to register a Steam serial key?

Afro

Ok, here's a bigger sample of what I'm working on. More games coming. What do you think ? Gonna add pre-order discounts later.

Very helpful, thanks. Never know if I should rely on IGN, VGReleases, etc. for an accurate, consolidated list of game release dates.

Good work.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This is probably impossible but would you be able to add an option to register a Steam serial key?

This is my own personal #1 wanted feature. Other sites do it, and some do it really well.

Unfortunately Enhanced Steam can't really help you with that. But if I'm hired by Valve I vow to make it a top priority. (Seriously, we need to start a petition or something to get me hired there).

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Is there anything (beside x360ce) that runs system level that converts Direct Input (normal controller commands) into XInput? For the life of me I can't get x360ce to run properly, plus it requires me to drop dll files into every game directory.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
this front mission business has to end

At least Front Mission: Evolved isn't installed. It's the worst in the series and, ironically, the only one available on Steam.

zkylon

zkylewd
:3

iirc you press x to lower your lance and get in "jousting" mode, which basically means you 1 hit kill anyone your lance strikes.

weird, floris doesn't really take that many extra resources, just some higher res textures and stuff

and the mod adds up a lot of great gameplay stuff (teleporting to town elders is beautiful)

well worth the install

Grief.exe

At least Front Mission: Evolved isn't installed. It's the worst in the series and, ironically, the only one available on Steam.

Square probably released the worst game in the series to test the waters for ports of older games or newer titles being released.

One of the worst run companies in gaming right now. Just an absolute joke.

zkylon

zkylewd
it's basically the same, I just like switching it up for the sake of it

and just went back to metro, I like its layout better

this front mission business has to end
it'll end, only one game left

I've gone through 1, 3, 4 and 5 in about a month, couldn't really get into 2 because fan-translation was rubbish.

yeah, good luck getting me to play that

Acccent

All this talk of Steam interfaces led me to come up with a new way to categorized my games, which I realize is a pretty odd thing to do at 3AM, but I guess it was nocturnal inspiration because I think it looks pretty clean:

CKCEgsw.png

I'm adding to Favourites all the stuff I do play regularly or intend to start playing asap.

Bonus points to whoever can guess which game is currently selected!

I like this new theme. Thanks to whoever brought it up.
Ya welcome

KingKong

I always end up buying a bunch of old classic games on Steam Sale and then never want to play them. Oh well at least its only a few bucks each and I like owning them

I always end up buying a bunch of old classic games on Steam Sale and then never want to play them. Oh well at least its only a few bucks each and I like owning them
Steam has basically become a double dipping dumping ground for me, I just want to have these games in my digital collection to maybe replay one day, or not. With the cost to quantity ratio it's not an inconvenience either.

Crayons

Banned
Gotcha. I kind of want to support the developers for doing something somewhat unique, either way. If I end up playing it maybe I will remember to eventually post impressions here.

Yeah, ask anyone here I was dying for it half the summer sale and it never came. I still want to buy it and $10 is very tempting.

denx

Finished Tomb Raider's single player campaign, enjoyed it, I try the multiplayer, makes me wish I was playing Mass Effect 3's multiplayer instead. Damn the mp in TR is dull. :(

Someday I'll play those Fallout games I bought for 3 bucks at the end of the sale. I swear!

Grief.exe

Steam has basically become a double dipping dumping ground for me, I just want to have these games in my digital collection to maybe replay one day, or not. With the cost to quantity ratio it's not an inconvenience either.

And the ease of downloading and playing, say, Soul Reaver on any machine at 1080p should not go unrecognized.

Much more difficult, and significantly more expensive, to track down a physical copy.

I don't remember your specs, but if you can run Warband on high, you can probably run expanded Floris all right. Just don't cap the number of NPCs in battle past 100 or so. And if your PC chugs, maybe turn down settings or switch to Normal Floris. I'm playing on a MacBook Pro so I'm only running Basic Floris but it still looks good.

Weapon Toggle with the X key switches between throwing and melee mode for projectile weapons like javelins and throwing axes. There is an achievement for getting kills with a throwing weapon's alt (melee) mode.

If you keep losing battles and getting captured, try training your troops and leveling them up. It's better to have 20 higher level troops than 40 peasants, in my experience. Nord Huskarls and archers have been my bread and butter so far. A point or two into First Aid and Surgery wouldn't hurt either. Like you, I'm new to Warband, but I've learned that these things help a lot!

And in regards to your question about mod installation that you asked about in Steam (on my iPhone now so I'll just answer here): when you dl a mod and unpack it with 7Zip, place the folder into C: / Program Files (x86)[for Win7 users like me]/ Steam/ steamapps/ mount&blade warband/ modules

If you look in the modules folder, you'll see a folder called "Native." That's the vanilla warband game. Put your other modules in here and when you launch the game from Steam, you'll get the normal Warband launch window. From there you can use the drop down menu to choose which module you'd like to load up and play. The vanilla game's data doesn't get overwritten, so you can always switch between vanilla Warband and the other mods. Hope this helps!

Also, the Game of Thrones mod (ACOK) has been updated to 0.94. I'm gonna install it when I get home.

Edit- seems my iPhone doesn't register the backslashes in the windows directory location I typed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom