• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Original Doom 3 doesn't work out on my computer. I blame ATI again. I want to try BFG edition to see if I can work out at least that much but I don't want to just potentially throw away $5 on something that likewise doesn't work, especially when it could go to getting New Vegas tomorrow.

So Dishonored on Sunday then? In part of a very specific venn diagram of people who want that game and didn't have a computer two weeks ago.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I finished (100% on Hard) Bit.Trip Runner 2:

+ Greater mechanical variety than the original
+ I love the hilarious character skins
+ Retro stages were great fun and I like the way they're implemented here better
+ There's a dance button
+ Bosses were great fun
+ The last boss was super great fun

~ Narration by Charles Martinet: he's clearly having fun and the dialogue is written as much to twist his tongue and make you giggle as it is to make sense, but I can't help but think that none of this really adds something to what is absolutely an arcade game. I mean, if Martinet narrated Pac-Man with an opening narration, I'm sure that would be neat, but... Pac-Man also doesn't need opening narration.

- Retro stages don't distinguish between completion and perfect completion
- The game punishes you in terms of score if you're not constantly mashing the dance button
- Perfect+ is pretty infuriating. I mean the cannon thing itself is cute (I loved the different visuals for each character skin) and about 75% of the time, no trouble to do right... but it just feels a little artificial.
- Significantly easier than the original game even on hard, and I'm inclined to believe that'd even be true if you disabled checkpoints. My bonk:completion ratio was around 3.5
- Completing on hard doesn't give you completion on easy, so the game has a handful of achievements/challenges that would basically punish you for choosing Hard as your first difficulty. I replayed a handful of levels on easy and medium, but there's really no reason you'd ever want to.

See:
cCrvIkK.png

msuh1we.png

- The controls are a bit of a mess on keyboard because of how many things you can do. Perfect on a controller though.
- Startup load times are crazy. Boot game -> load -> fake promotional screen -> load -> plot narration -> load -> menu -> world select -> level select -> if it's the first level of the world plot narration -> level

My inclination would be if you haven't played either, play Runner (1) first because it's the better game. But if you played Runner and want more and like it a lot, check out Runner 2 because it's still a pretty great game.

It doesn't screenshot well. I wish I had something pretty to show
T2nURjdl.jpg

I played like 90% of the game as Uncle Dill, the Pickle, because Pickles are awesome. I loved this skin, which is basically a nude bulbous white redneck pickle. LOL.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
GZDOOM lets you enhance it in a million different ways to exactly the level you want in each way. I like it because it lets me play high res with AA and AF but keep texture and sprite filtering off. Here is Heretic on it. The realtime lighting adds a lot to the magicalness of them.

Bassmidi lets you use custom midi drivers instead of shitty windows drivers you can turn music it into this.

Post with more info on bassmidi. And post for launching using gzdoom in Steam.

Sweet, I'm gonna buy the pack and give this a try, thanks!

Original Doom 3 doesn't work out on my computer. I blame ATI again. I want to try BFG edition to see if I can work out at least that much but I don't want to just potentially throw away $5 on something that likewise doesn't work, especially when it could go to getting New Vegas tomorrow.

BFG didn't work out of the box for me on a 7970. Can't remember what I had to do, but it was pretty easy to find the solution in the steam forums. Haven't tried the original Doom 3 yet, but I got it mainly to try out all the mods. So I don't plan to keep it vanilla for long.

But everything for a 10€/$? That would be a great deal!

Come to think of it, the alternative is getting just the Bethesda titles for $10. Considering their complete editions will both be $5 tomorrow, getting them separately would technically be cheaper. They'd have to pack something else into that pack to make it seem like a better deal.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
BFG didn't work out of the box for me on a 7970. Can't remember what I had to do, but it was pretty easy to find the solution in the steam forums. Haven't tried the original Doom 3 yet, but I got it mainly to try out all the mods. So I don't plan to keep it vanilla for long.
See I'm also too afraid to get Rage because of this. I just need to switch to nVidia and be done with it forever.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
A few people quoted my Cloudberry Kingdom demo review. Just wanted to mention that aku:jiki reviewed the full game in the XBLA thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=74224063&postcount=4375

Just played my first real session of Cloudberry and, man, do I regret buying this shit. On top of the amateurish graphics and music, the gameplay is about as uninteresting as it can possibly get. The levels are nothing but simplistic, sloppy and consistently unengaging, the obstacles are lame and the jumping is floaty. It gets even worse when you get the backpack "upgrades", like the crappy double jump where the second jump has entirely different momentum and speed or the jetpack that's of the useless kind; you can really only use it to rise and it can hardly hover at all.

And to whoever theorized that it might be good for bite-sized gaming: nope! Sure, the levels are really short, but the episodes are long as fuck! The "arcade games" (which is just an endless mode of more random levels, no effort put into it at all) are 500+ levels long, the "story" chapters are 40 levels each. And, you guessed it, there's no mid-chapter saving!

Chapter 2 forces you to roll around on some ball with even more annoying physics and the first level in it demanded that I perfectly time an off-screen laser. I just said fuck that and permanently quit the game. I thought there was something to it since all my XBLA friends are playing the crap out of it, so I bought it, but I guess it's just the draught, because this game just sucks on every level.

See I'm also too afraid to get Rage because of this. I just need to switch to nVidia and be done with it forever.

Yeah Rage had stuttering issues for me. There was a fix for it, Something along the lines of disabling ingame AA, and forcing driver AA. BFG just flat out wouldn't launch.

Yeah I like my ATi video card, but nvidia definitely has the upper hand when it comes to games working out of the box. Especially with Nvidia experience.

Tenrius

Hows Call of Cthulhu?

It's really great for several hours, atmospheric first-person adventure stuff, then you suddenly get a gun and it turns into a really awkward shooter. I dropped the game soon after that when I originally played it, so I'm not sure if it gets better. I dare say that those first few hours are quite worth it though.

Turfster

It's really great for several hours, atmospheric first-person adventure stuff, then you suddenly get a gun and it turns into a really awkward shooter. I dropped the game soon after that when I originally played it, so I'm not sure if it gets better. I dare say that those first few hours are quite worth it though.

Yeah. I dropped it too when you got the gun, because as a shooter, it's really not up to snuff. The atmosphere before that was creepy and interesting, though.

Deadbeat

Banned
Hey kids its free candy from a stranger! what could possibly go wrong?

edit: I am amazed (and disappointed) it wasnt the herpes of steam.

JakeD

Hey kids its free candy from a stranger! what could possibly go wrong?

edit: I am amazed (and disappointed) it wasnt the herpes of steam.

hah, i already have bad rats. and secretly want to try secret of the magic crystals. so i figure whats the worst that could happen?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Awesomenauts is appealing but damn, I haven't played multiplayer in a while (unless you count a couple matches in Tomb Raider, lol) and I forgot how it feels to be quickly and utterly annihilated by monsters who have already invested hours upon hours into the game, all the while you're still trying to figure out what's what.

Awesomenauts is appealing but damn, I haven't played multiplayer in a while (unless you count a couple matches in Tomb Raider, lol) and I forgot how it feels to be quickly and utterly annihilated by monsters who have already invested hours upon hours into the game, all the while you're still trying to figure out what's what.

What are you talking about, I don't follow. I do know that I was just messing around whilst farming cards since the drops were so slow... and it hooked me, pretty damn fun game, and deep enough to keep you there for a good while. Don't worry about skill level because it drops you in the noob leagues at the start.

Unless there is a separate slider that I don't know about. This is the closest I can get the games adjusting the slider.
eIZNTtNl.jpg

You might not get a smaller version on your resolution, try moving the slider to get larger pictures. If one more image won't fit that row Steam won't try to put one there.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I finished (100% on Hard) Bit.Trip Runner 2:

+ Greater mechanical variety than the original
+ I love the hilarious character skins
+ Retro stages were great fun and I like the way they're implemented here better
+ There's a dance button
+ Bosses were great fun
+ The last boss was super great fun

~ Narration by Charles Martinet: he's clearly having fun and the dialogue is written as much to twist his tongue and make you giggle as it is to make sense, but I can't help but think that none of this really adds something to what is absolutely an arcade game. I mean, if Martinet narrated Pac-Man with an opening narration, I'm sure that would be neat, but... Pac-Man also doesn't need opening narration.

- Retro stages don't distinguish between completion and perfect completion
- The game punishes you in terms of score if you're not constantly mashing the dance button
- Perfect+ is pretty infuriating. I mean the cannon thing itself is cute (I loved the different visuals for each character skin) and about 75% of the time, no trouble to do right... but it just feels a little artificial.
- Significantly easier than the original game even on hard, and I'm inclined to believe that'd even be true if you disabled checkpoints. My bonk:completion ratio was around 3.5
- Completing on hard doesn't give you completion on easy, so the game has a handful of achievements/challenges that would basically punish you for choosing Hard as your first difficulty. I replayed a handful of levels on easy and medium, but there's really no reason you'd ever want to.

See:
cCrvIkK.png

msuh1we.png

- The controls are a bit of a mess on keyboard because of how many things you can do. Perfect on a controller though.
- Startup load times are crazy. Boot game -> load -> fake promotional screen -> load -> plot narration -> load -> menu -> world select -> level select -> if it's the first level of the world plot narration -> level

My inclination would be if you haven't played either, play Runner (1) first because it's the better game. But if you played Runner and want more and like it a lot, check out Runner 2 because it's still a pretty great game.

It doesn't screenshot well. I wish I had something pretty to show

I played like 90% of the game as Uncle Dill, the Pickle, because Pickles are awesome. I loved this skin, which is basically a nude bulbous white redneck pickle. LOL.
Great review. I loved the game, probably as much as I loved the first one, despite being WAY easier. Haven't played much on Hard, but it still felt really easy.

Regarding the bonking, I often did it on purpose whenever I missed a gold bar or hard path, so my rating isn't probably too good. And the leaderboards are an awesome feature.

Unkle Dill is one of my favorite characters, along with Pitazo. CaptainVideo is cool too, but I haven't unlocked Retro Commander Video yet (I'm missing 5 or so retro carts).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom