• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
What are you talking about, I don't follow. I do know that I was just messing around whilst farming cards since the drops were so slow... and it hooked me, pretty damn fun game, and deep enough to keep you there for a good while. Don't worry about skill level because it drops you in the noob leagues at the start.
I did the initial tutorial, joined a match and kept dying very fast whenever I got to the middle area. Maybe the opposing team was too good and/or me and my team just sucked, but when the game announced the other team was "dominating" I realized I wasn't having much fun, lol. I know this is very babby of me though!

You might not get a smaller version on your resolution, try moving the slider to get larger pictures. If one more image won't fit that row Steam won't try to put one there.

I've dragged my window size and slider to all sorts of combinations, but it doesn't get any smaller than the picture I just posted.

Awesomenauts is appealing but damn, I haven't played multiplayer in a while (unless you count a couple matches in Tomb Raider, lol) and I forgot how it feels to be quickly and utterly annihilated by monsters who have already invested hours upon hours into the game, all the while you're still trying to figure out what's what.

Yeah, I started playing it too during the card rush and it was pretty fun, but I eventually got up to League 3 somehow and completely hit a brick wall. All of a sudden I was playing with people who've played a million hours and were prestiged a countless number of times. I had to put it down because of it.

Tame

Found a couple doublers from an old humble bundle, thought id give this modbot lark a go

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Hotline Miami -- MB-B5A8685DEB087490 - Taken by ZeroXZee
Intrusion 2 -- MB-FBEAC7C9AFCF9727 - Taken by scorpscarx

Deadbeat

Banned
didn't play rage yet, so that could be, but it looks different from all the other rage art I've seen so far.
Its either something obvious im missing and I will realize later (and thus be too late because someone will prove me wrong with the correct answer) or its a typical version of concept art for a game where its got its own style that kind of deviates from what the game presented.

In other words, we need someone to go ask.

Acorn

Hmm I really should finish my second run through New Vegas (first with DLC), I started a year ago and kinda forgot about it.

Awesome thanks!, I've been wanting to ride that wolf for ages! Muahahaha

ss_7dc914382a73883443a128bc0da6d865a4c7b1c3.1920x1080.jpg

BruteUA

Found a couple doublers from an old humble bundle, thought id give this modbot lark a go

Cool giveaway.

Of course I just bought this yesterday for some TF2 keys. I boot it up and see the Russian in the title screen and panic thinking I traded for the Russian version.

Deadbeat

Banned
It's true, it's not there. And on it's own it costs $5. Damn, I wanted the whole Quake saga, since I never played IV :/
I liked Quake 4. Its singleplayer was pretty fun. People will tell you otherwise and they are wrong and very bad. The game is worth the money.

The_Monk

Quake 4 either got pulled off Steam or was never added to begin with. The iD pack came out circa 2008. Quake 4 got (re-)added in 2011.

I wonder if those game that were pulled off Steam will ever be going back.

If not, at least I don't see a reason for keeping their game page on Steam, I was browsing a game I wanted only to find out that, despite they having their game page the game is no longer possible to buy.

sibarraz

Banned
Thanks to CosmicQueso for gifting me Spec ops the line without asking for it

I wanted to play this for a long time, oddly enough, I was reading yesterday the cracked article about 6 twists in videogames which where told in advice within the game, and I read the entry of spec ops the line since I thought that ''I will not play this game in a near future''

Tame

I couldn't understand where the Quake 4 hatred came from when it was released

I really enjoyed it

repeat the above statement for Doom 3 too

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I liked Quake 4. Its singleplayer was pretty fun. People will tell you otherwise and they are wrong and very bad. The game is worth the money.
That's great to hear, but I still think 5 bucks for it is a lot. I admit I must have become spoiled, but if I'm paying $7.49 for the franchise pack I want to get them all, including that one.

Besides, I also want to get the Doom packs (classics and Doom 3 non-BFG), and that would be a lot of money. Hell, even the Quake franchise pack would be a lot of money on its own.

I couldn't understand where the Quake 4 hatred came from when it was released

I really enjoyed it

I hated the Doom 3 demo back then, and I couldn't bring myself to finish it. Didn't feel like a Doom game at all, though I can't speak of the full game.

Doom 3 wasn't an interesting shooter with good mechanics to learn. It also wasn't dumb and crazy enough that could let you blow off steam. It was just "meh" all around.

This morning was a bit of a blow to the old wishlist. Pixeljunk monsters, papers please and Skullgirls? Not a bad day.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yeah, I started playing it too during the card rush and it was pretty fun, but I eventually got up to League 3 somehow and completely hit a brick wall. All of a sudden I was playing with people who've played a million hours and were prestiged a countless number of times. I had to put it down because of it.
Played another match where my team won so I guess that aside from playing badly I was unlucky the first time. The game itself is fun so I'll probably still play some more matches (they take a tad longer to end than I expected though). It's my first time playing a MOBA game actually, with so many stuff to play I can't really justify putting too much time into these unless I have a friend playing it too.

Turfster

You guys should get Commander Keen. 1.24 for 5 rad classic PC platformers.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/9180/

Second this. It's a pity the Softdisk one isn't included (nor is Aliens ate my Babysitter), but still, serious blast from the past.
Last time I played them was on a 386, but they run well under dosbox and you can of course sai or eagle them for a smoother look.

I never played much of the first Commander Keen, which was the only one I tried. But your mention of Jazz Jackrabbit (whose sequel I consider to be the best platformer of all time) has made me want them now.

The Keens are quite different from Jazz Jackrabbit, which was basically the PC answer to Sonic. Keen is more about precision jumping, I guess.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You guys should get Commander Keen. 1.24 for 5 rad classic PC platformers.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/9180/

Totally worth owning. I hope Jazz Jackrabbit gets put on GOG/Steam sometime too.

Keen guys.
I never played much of the first Commander Keen, which was the only one I tried. But your mention of Jazz Jackrabbit (whose sequel I consider to be the best platformer of all time) has made me want them now. I will get them. Just need to decide if I want all the Dooms too (of course, no BFG Edition for me) or the Quakes. And no, I won't get both.

Salsa

I finished (100% on Hard) Bit.Trip Runner 2:

I did as well, but 100% overall. Was disappointed that it wasnt as challenging as the first :/ I ended up perfecting each difficulty just to had more to do cause the game itself is great. I wish there were some sort of challenge DLC with harder stages instead of the character thing we got.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
every man and his dog posting 5 inane comments just so they can have a crack at codes.

Much prefer giving whichever current Gaf reader a chance to win

Feel free to give away codes however you want, of course, but also know that what you're talking about has nothing to do with ModBot. People who give stuff away set their own rules. The default rules don't require 5 posts. But also I doubt many people are spamming the thread to hit the threshold, you're most likely just observing the fact that GAF has twice as many active posters as it did even a year ago. *shrugs*

Salsa

Man that Papo & Yo discount is too good too soon. Bought it at release and havent played it yet. Been a while since something got a 75% discount this quick after release.

I never played much of the first Commander Keen, which was the only one I tried. But your mention of Jazz Jackrabbit (whose sequel I consider to be the best platformer of all time) has made me want them now. I will get them. Just need to decide if I want all the Dooms too (of course, no BFG Edition for me) or the Quakes. And no, I won't get both.

They're pretty different games, but the complete pack gives you options at least. The newer ones had bigger sprites and more exploration. In my young mind Keen was to Mario, as Jazz was to Sonic, even though that comparison is pretty worthless. I just associate the two games together as platformers from my childhood.

Though you do get a pogo stick in Keen.

* 2 rad classic PC platformers (1/4), one pretty decent one (5), and some duffers no one plays (2/3)

This is probably true, though now I need to hear what you think about Keen Dreams.

Gbraga

Man that Papo & Yo discount is too good too soon. Bought it at release and havent played it yet. Been a while since something got a 75% discount this quick after release.

I got it day one on PSN and I'm really thinking about double dipping now, the game has some really nice art and I'm sure it looks great on PC.

Also, my card money would cover almost half the price.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The Keens are quite different from Jazz Jackrabbit, which was basically the PC answer to Sonic. Keen is more about precision jumping, I guess.
ARGGGHHHH, I hate future quotes!

Pet peeves aside, I know that, since I played the first few levels of the first CK. I just meant that I'll get them because Buttonbasher talked about one of my favorite games ever (well, I love the sequel, but the first one is great too). Gotta show support to our fellow Jazz lovers!

Turfster

ARGGGHHHH, I hate future quotes!

Pet peeves aside, I know that, since I played the first few levels of the first CK. I just meant that I'll get them because Buttonbasher talked about one of my favorite games ever (well, I love the sequel, but the first one is great too). Gotta show support to our fellow Jazz lovers!

Well, with all the complaining about people padding their post count and me having posted just before, I figured I might as well add it to that previous post so as not to offend anyone ;)

But yeah, the day Jazz Jackrabbit (and Jill of the Jungle) appear on Steam or GOG is the day I'll buy them in a snap, no matter the price. Do you hear me, Epic? Make it so.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This is probably true, though now I need to hear what you think about Keen Dreams.

Dreams has some flaws but it's better than 2 or 3 which are both frustrating. 6 is great. Keen 1 was my first PC game as a child--along with some early NES games, I owe my whole life's direction to Keen.

Do you hear me, Epic? Make it so.

The problem is that Epic licensed all their classic games to some sort of shell company possibly ran by one of the Epic guys' fathers who continued mail-order sales of the games up until around 9 months ago. I assume that morass needs to be sorted out before their games can become available.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
If I know nothing about the game except that the author based the game on his abusive and alcoholic father, would I still want it?

They're pretty different games, but the complete pack gives you options at least. The newer ones had bigger sprites and more exploration. In my young mind Keen was to Mario, as Jazz was to Sonic, even though that comparison is pretty worthless. I just associate the two games together as platformers from my childhood.

Though you do get a pogo stick in Keen.
I like Jazz more than Sonic. Will I like Keen more than Mario?

Turfster

The problem is that Epic licensed all their classic games to some sort of shell company possibly ran by one of the Epic guys' fathers who continued mail-order sales of the games up until around 9 months ago. I assume that morass needs to be sorted out before their games can become available.

I know, I'm just saying that there's worldwide demand, and it's in their best interests to work it out somehow. ;)

Dreams has some flaws but it's better than 2 or 3 which are both frustrating. 6 is great. Keen 1 was my first PC game as a child--along with some early NES games, I owe my whole life's direction to Keen.

Right on. Yeah Keen came early on for me too, and I think I only played the shareware ones (I know I've played 1, Dreams, and 4), but have been working my way through the rest through this collection. It's definitely more challenging than I remember it being/I'm getting worse at games as time goes on.

But yeah, the day Jazz Jackrabbit (and Jill of the Jungle) appear on Steam or GOG is the day I'll buy them in a snap, no matter the price. Do you hear me, Epic? Make it so.

Jill of the Jungle yessssss!

I like Jazz more than Sonic. Will I like Keen more than Mario?

Jazz is more like Sonic than Keen is like Mario. You might like Keen more than Apogee's Crystal Caves though, but to be honest that game was pretty cool too so it could go either way.

Anyone knows the deals for the next days?

Thursday: id Sale, with all id games 75% off
Friday: Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, and all Fallout DLC 75% off
Saturday: The Elder Scrolls Sale, with Elder Scrolls titles and DLCs selling for 40-75% off
Sunday: Dishonored, including DLC 66% off

http://www.bethblog.com/2013/08/01/...d-mobile-sale-freemium-weekend-of-quake-live/

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Well, with all the complaining about people padding their post count and me having posted just before, I figured I might as well add it to that previous post so as not to offend anyone ;)

Jill of the Jungle! Can I give you an internet high five? Amazing games, they defined my childhood along with Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure (one day I gotta get past E2M2!), Secret Agent, Hocus Pocus and Duke Nukem 3D (already have it on Steam).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom