• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might make one tomorrow if I can find the time to do so, unless someone else wants to - then just go ahead.

Was also thinking about perhaps making one big Shareware appreciation thread if there's interest in that since I think most of the exposure to these titles where from Shareware releases. There's an old thread that hasn't been active since 2007, so it should be ok to do a new one?

What do you think?
The great majority of the shareware games I played were from both Apogee and Epic. Either way, go for it, I also don't have the time, patience and know-how to make an awesome looking thread like most of the folks here. But I'll definitely subscribe it!

Totally forgot about it! Thanks!

Man, who else misses those old DOS catalogs?? I remember learning english when trying to read those for hours!

Tenrius

You have to go to
Macondo Lane
in KR0. Was pleasantly surprised upon seeing this One Hundred Years of Solitude reference.

Veezy

que?
If any one needs a Steam game or trading buddy add veezybaby to your friends list. Excited about following this thread.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If it does the currency conversion that is very handy. I've wanted to know how much I've made selling cards, but it is too hard to work out.

Yes this tallies each of the five currencies Steam supports, converts them to your local currency, then totals it. Should (hopefully) do exactly what you're looking for.

The only thing is - it takes the current exchange rates, not the exchange rates as they were when you sold whatever. So it won't be 100% accurate, but it'll be really close. Until one of the currencies tanks.

Yes this tallies each of the five currencies Steam supports, converts them to your local currency, then totals it. Should (hopefully) do exactly what you're looking for.

The only thing is - it takes the current exchange rates, not the exchange rates as they were when you sold whatever. So it won't be 100% accurate, but it'll be really close. Until one of the currencies tanks.

Cool, that'll be close enough.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I might make one tomorrow if I can find the time to do so, unless someone else wants to - then just go ahead.

Was also thinking about perhaps making one big Shareware appreciation thread if there's interest in that since I think most of the exposure to these titles where from Shareware releases. There's an old thread that hasn't been active since 2007, so it should be ok to do a new one?

What do you think?
Yeah man, go ahead! 6 years is a long time, so a new one would be fine I think.

Can't wait to see it. Nostalgia overload right into my veins.

Thanks a lot for this!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Don't you dare track all this next gen mud all over my pretty rosy memories! ;)
I wouldn't do freelook in Doom because it's made to work well without it, but in Heretic/Hexen there is a lot of vertical play and flying creatures so it's nice. I am 100% against filtering crisp pixel textures/sprites into smeared garbage, but other enhancements are pretty cool.

Coming soon to Enhanced Steam:

eE85V0R.png

Nice, pretty awesome feature, can't wait for it. Thanks Jshackles.

Ever since trading cards came outta beta I've been wondering how much "profit" I made from using the market to trade instead of actually trading 1:1 for cards. Kinda regret getting level 5 for the Steam summer and Dungeons of Dredmor badges instead of using that money for games but eh, as long as I don't use my own money to buy cards its alright.

Decided I'd spend the day playing Quake; played most of it with Carmack talking in the background to replace the soundtrack. While back in the day GLQuake blew my mind, these days I prefer the software rendering look, as well as 640x480 resolution. Gibbing zombies with lobbed nades never gets old, but whoever designed the slimes in act 4 can go step on a lego; just a horrible, terrible enemy to fight.

The whole thing clocked at 3.9 hours, so it was around the perfect length to get all the card drops.
IF IT HAD THEM

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Decided I'd spend the day playing Quake; played most of it with Carmack talking in the background to replace the soundtrack. While back in the day GLQuake blew my mind, these days I prefer the software rendering look, as well as 640x480 resolution. Gibbing zombies with lobbed nades never gets old, but whoever designed the slimes in act 4 can go step on a lego; just a horrible, terrible enemy to fight.

The whole thing clocked at 3.9 hours, so it was around the perfect length to get all the card drops.
IF IT HAD THEM

I told myself I was only going to load up HeXen 2 for a quick test of the resolution and mouselook autoexec.

5 hours played.

Caerith

I had the same problem with them yesterday.

Poor girl: I want an apple.
Me: 130.
Poor girl: Nope, lower please.
Me: 110?
Poor girl: I"M NOT MADE OF MONEY! *leaves*
Me: Well, screw you bitch! Don't come back.

On the other hand, the old guy is old so he accepts any high price you offer.
Oh, little Suzie Combo-Breaker? The Recettear - The Manliest Game In Existence thread is full of rage-reactions to some of your customers.

didamangi

Got an extra Zeno Clash 2 from the 2 pack, anyone interested in it for $6 paypal? (Or Quake Collection if you're feeling generous :D)

IF IT HAD THEM

Have you tried the Epsilon mod for Quake?

Tenrius

Kentucky Route Zero is really something special. Especially played alone in a dark apartment, accompanied only by two cats, like I'm doing it now.

I told myself I was only going to load up HeXen 2 for a quick test of the resolution and mouselook autoexec.

5 hours played.
The games are a lot shorter than I remember, but with the added controls complexity of freelook and jumping, the map designs have less backtracking compared to Doom while still maintaining the fpsleveldesign.jpg meme. People thinking these games were maze-like need to play Quake, the levels do a great job of guiding you while still being more than a vessel for enemy encounters.

Have you tried the Epsilon mod for Quake?
My god man, I had the dry heaves upon entering that page. I pretty much hate all of the visual "upgrade" mods and sourceports for Quake, they just come off slapped together with no discretion and look awful.

Arozay

Still shitty deals on Skyrim DLC, serves me right for buying a game on launch...

I finally got every collectible in Saint's Row The Third. And a few secons later I get the 30 hour achievement, fuck yeah.

Is the Saints Row III DLC worth it? Was thinking about picking it up and finally going through the game since it's on Humble Bundle now (got the main game on the THQ bundle).

Wanny

Is it me or the Quakecon pack is by far the best value I've ever seen on Steam? Hours and hours and fucking hours until you die of playtime for 90$...

denx

Is it me or the Quakecon pack is by far the best value I've ever seen on Steam? Hours and hours and fucking hours until you die of playtime for 90$...

That Quakecon bundle is ridiculous. If I had a steady job I would had bought that shit right away.

And holy shit next Thursday will be insane. I'm very looking forward to Papers Please, but I'm not sure the concept and mechanics of the beta can hold up for an entire game. I'm excited, but also cautious, so I'll be waiting for some reviews and word of mouth first.

Fireblend

Banned
Well, finally finished my no-kill (and only) run of Dishonored. That was fun! The ending was a bit abrupt, but I guess it was a pretty decent ending and the game itself was very, very good. I might give it another shot some other day. I'd never done any sort of special run for any game (as in, no killing any enemies or something like that), so I feel kinda proud about this one
3AQmK.gif

That makes 7 games I've beaten since the end of the Steam sale. This weekend I'll go to the beach and next week I'll resume Tomb Raider. Playing games is actually fun! Who knew.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Pretty damn good, although there have been some outstanding publisher packs at insane prices. This one is definitely a must for guys who just got a gaming PC together and want to cover a lot of FPS ground in their library.

didamangi

My god man, I had the dry heaves upon entering that page. I pretty much hate all of the visual "upgrade" mods and sourceports for Quake, they just come off slapped together with no discretion and look awful.

:)) I used to play Quake with my Rendition Verite (I haven't played Quake since then) and thought the mod looks great.

Is there a widescreen option if you play Quake without the mods?

Is the Saints Row III DLC worth it? Was thinking about picking it up and finally going through the game since it's on Humble Bundle now (got the main game on the THQ bundle).

It's not the greatest DLC ever but it's fun enough. Can't go wrong for $5 ;)

You get three mission DLC and a bunch of cosmetic stuff too.

DryvBy

If any one needs a Steam game or trading buddy add veezybaby to your friends list. Excited about following this thread.

But...but... I already added you, buddy! I need to gift you some games. I got so many freakin' codes sitting around for various indie.

Oh, and people, please add me. DryvBy. I need internet friends to show off my profile stuff to.

:)) I used to play Quake with my Rendition Verite (I haven't played Quake since then) and thought the mod looks great.

Is there a widescreen option if you play Quake without the mods?
These mods look like the Final Fantasy iOS releases in cheap aesthetics to me. The textures actually come off looking like pictures being pasted onto the environment rather than convincingly being part of the cohesive whole and shaders are just everywhere for no reason. The art used also happens to look very very ugly, most things have a grit to them to look sharper and more detailed but just ... yeuch. But I'm more of a purist when it comes to these things, so I know a lot of people clearly love this stuff.

I don't know about widescreen support on the unmodded version of the game, but I was content with 4:3 at 640x480; the assets of the game actually look best to me at that resolution. Going higher and the cleaner polygonal edges clashed with the chunky unfiltered texturing, and since the HUD doesn't scale I'd imagine going to 1080p would make it microscopic.

DryvBy

If people want avatars, I can draw some. I drew this ugly drunken Doug one and I drew my Kratos avatar for Steam. My art work, if I don't mind saying so, is the best. I'll post some 1st draft stuff in a minute.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
one more sleeping dogs dlc question

are they all postgame dlc or do they integrate in with the main game?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I'm selling pretty much every card I put in the market in a matter of minutes. Those 10 or so cents are slowly adding up. Not enough to cover the cost of the id games I want to buy, but it's still nice.

Let's hope the same is true for Mark of the Ninja, which I started idling right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom