• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

I wouldn't think so as they're completely different games.

Eh, in the eyes of the people that want to make money at Zenimax, they're both 'multiplayer Quake', but Live is the one they can actually keep getting money from with subscriptions and other ingame purchases, while the other one isn't.
Yes, I'm wearing my cynical glasses.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously now, what's with this shit?

OL1Dez6.png

I mean, I knew about the Doom games being all over the place before buying them, but this?

The problem is that you only bought seven games.
Hahaha, for some reason I think you're right. Return to Castle Wolfenstein tempts me, but I skipped it due to never liking the original game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Eh, in the eyes of the people that want to make money at Zenimax, they're both 'multiplayer Quake', but Live is the one they can actually keep getting money from with subscriptions and other ingame purchases, while the other one isn't.
Yes, I'm wearing my cynical glasses.

Quake Live is F2P and isn't exactly doing well while Quake Wars, being a paid title, would see the occasional spike in revenue thanks to sales.

What is the business model for Quake Live?

Premium account subscriptions.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Anybody have any experience with Gamestop PC downloads? I'd rather get Fallout 3 from there since I have a little bit of credit. Do I get a Steam key or do they have their own client?

JaseC

Anybody have any experience with Gamestop PC downloads? I'd rather get Fallout 3 from there since I have a little bit of credit. Do I get a Steam key or do they have their own client?

You have to install the GameStop client to retrieve your key.

Fracas

#fuckonami
You have to install the GameStop client to retrieve your key.

So I just install that, then retrieve a Steam key through there? That's not too bad.

edit: Also, if I buy New Vegas GOTY from GS, do I get separate keys for the DLC + vanilla game? I already have the main game, and I'd like to give it away.

denx

nvm, found a custom grid icon for ME3. If you can post some others that would be appreciated though. :)

EDIT: also an icon for DEFCON beta demo, since that has been bugging since forever.

maneil99

Finally overcame my OCD and let the scorch marks on my PSu go, and let the random screw that was laying in the bottom of my case go. Going to enjoy this PC for once. New GPU, new OS, new life. :p I hate OCD, it's wrecked my pc gaming life.

Grief.exe

Finally overcame my OCD and let the scorch marks on my PSu go, and let the random screw that was laying in the bottom of my case go. Going to enjoy this PC for once. New GPU, new OS, new life. :p I hate OCD, it's wrecked my pc gaming life.

What are you using for audio?

Ledsen

Call of Cthulhu®: Dark Corners of the Earth - any good?

I've heard good things about CoC, kind of cult classic. From what I remember, it's Amnesia-esque with weapons, have to worry about your sanity, stuff like that

Brilliant game, some of the best atmosphere ever. Gameplay can sometimes be frustrating but it's so, so worth it.

Sober

1) Splinter Cell Blacklist
2) XCOM TPS
3) Castelania Lords of the Late Port

500) Indie stuff
I hope you are on a media blackout if SC Blacklist is #1 for you, aka don't read my threads. Because I think I just got GAF uninterested/disappointed in it three weeks earlier.

Grief.exe

I hope you are on a media blackout if SC Blacklist is #1 for you, aka don't read my threads. Because I think I just got GAF uninterested/disappointed in it three weeks earlier.

Spoiler text me

What happened.

I'm really not interested due to UPLAY.

Grief.exe

Why are headsets bad?

Audio and build quality is terrible for the price.

Significantly better, and cheaper, going with a nice pair of headphones and a standalone mic.

On PC, you really should have headphones due to the open nature. On console, I can understand having headsets for convenience.
You really have to jump through hoops to get good audio quality through headphones on console.

I'm a real stickler for good audio quality. I think its a shame people don't experience some of these games with sublime audio design with headsets.

I do a PSA every once in a while to convince people not to buy headsets. I've converted so many people over to the light.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this Steam thread and fewer than five posts in the immediate previous Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

King's Bounty: The Legend -- MB-C7B03B07AB98606C - Taken by Gez

Sober

Spoiler text me

What happened.

I'm really not interested due to UPLAY.
Nothing spoiler worthy, but the first 15 minutes of the game are out - as in a video which is really just barely 5 minutes of gameplay sandwiched between the opening cutscenes - (I posted a thread) and suddenly everyone remembered "No Ironside = No Buy", "WTF UE2.5?", "So this is like Conviction right?" and some other stuff.

Why are headsets bad?
Because audiophiles are insufferable.

JaseC

hmm is Voxatron added to Steam now?
Humble now has a Steam key for it.. but the game isn't searchable on Steam

Where? My account page just shows a key for Gish and a general key for the Voxatron bundle.

Speaking of the former: YLXFG-K9CHL-MDXNG

The key was in an unclaimed state on the bundle page, but this may be an error, so I didn't want to give it away via ModBot.

73V3N

Banned
Where? My account page just shows a key for Gish and a general key for the Voxatron bundle.

Speaking of the former: YLXFG-K9CHL-MDXNG

The key was in an unclaimed state on the bundle page, but this may be an error, so I didn't want to give it away via ModBot.

I tried it and it worked, thanks! looks like a fun game.

Smash88

Banned
Nothing spoiler worthy, but the first 15 minutes of the game are out - as in a video which is really just barely 5 minutes of gameplay sandwiched between the opening cutscenes - (I posted a thread) and suddenly everyone remembered "No Ironside = No Buy", "WTF UE2.5?", "So this is like Conviction right?" and some other stuff.

Hi, Team No Ironside = No Buy here. I just can't, come on we both saw the video and the voice. It's just completely out of place for some one who is supposed to be Fisher. This guy sounds like a kid. As someone who has been playing Splinter Cell since the first one this is just wrong on so many levels.

Grief.exe

Can someone explain to me how their excuse for not using Ironside was valid?

They wanted someone who could act out the scenes while mocapping and voice acting? Implying they haven't been dubbing people in like that for years. Seriously.

JaseC

I tried it and it worked, thanks! looks like a fun game.

Ah, cool. I wasn't sure if it'd work as I earlier in the year I went through my indie bundles and made note of all the keys that were in an unclaimed state -- I must have missed the Voxatron HIB.

Sober

They wanted someone who could act out the scenes while mocapping and voice acting? Implying they haven't been dubbing people in like that for years. Seriously.
You're not wrong, since any non-English VO has to be dubbed anyways.

I think Ironside just wanted out after Conviction; didn't like where the character was going, but Ubi wanted to turn Sam Fisher into more of an icon of the franchise (which isn't wrong because he's literally the only memorable Tom Clancy character
that isn't Ding Chavez
).

Either way they were fucked because no Ironside = no buy even if they introduced a new agent, because people would probably say it wouldn't be Splinter Cell without Sam Fisher.

Caerith

Artistic integrity. Could you imagine Star Wars if the guy in the Darth Vader costume wasn't the same guy providing the voice? Same with Chewbacca.

Lain

I grabbed the Sleeping Dogs DLC pack Dragon Master but when I try to activate it, I get a Error: Limit Exceeded error. Is there a way to solve this?

JaseC

I grabbed the Sleeping Dogs DLC pack Drunken Master but when I try to activate it, I get a Error: Limit Exceeded error. Is there a way to solve this?

Check your DLC tab as this usually means that the copy has already been activated. I encountered this issue when I redeemed a gift copy of Jagged Alliance 2 Gold -- the games were added to my library but the gift is still sitting in my inventory, collect dust in its unusable state.

Shambles

Audio and build quality is terrible for the price.

Significantly better, and cheaper, going with a nice pair of headphones and a standalone mic.

On PC, you really should have headphones due to the open nature. On console, I can understand having headsets for convenience.
You really have to jump through hoops to get good audio quality through headphones on console.

I'm a real stickler for good audio quality. I think its a shame people don't experience some of these games with sublime audio design with headsets.

I do a PSA every once in a while to convince people not to buy headsets. I've converted so many people over to the light.

My problem is that my wife and I can both be in the same room chatting at the same time so that if we both have a table top mic it picks up both of our voices. There was a product, called modmic?, that i saw that let you attach a face mic to a pair of headphones that looked useful but wasn't quite ready for prime time yet. Is that the way to go or is a fancy directional mic my only real option? What do you use?

Lain

Check your DLC tab as this usually means that the copy has already been activated. I encountered this issue when I redeemed a gift copy of Jagged Alliance 2 Gold -- the games were added to my library but the gift is still sitting in my inventory, collect dust in its unusable state.

I'm actually an idiot. I had already bought the Dragon Master pack once this past January, it's just Steam doesn't show some DLC of the pack as being owned for some reasons, so I bought a second one that obviously wouldn't activate. I feel like a sucker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom