• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
A shoutout for another game that deserves it.

Aztaka is DEFINITELY a great game and you can grab it really cheap in this bundle atm: http://groupees.com/arpg
azzz.jpg

aztaka46.jpg

I highly recommend grabbing it for cheap in that bundle: http://groupees.com/arpg

The visuals are good looking, the music is quite soothing, and the game played pretty well.
Also Aztaka does a few things in which I haven't seen before in a side scrolling adventure. For example, the inventory system has a very Western RPG feel. Think Baldur's Gate, only not as complex. There is also a spirit element that you use your mouse to help manipulate the environment. There seems to be a Metroid element in the game where as you gain new abilities you can access new areas that you couldn't before. I seem to also have a hummingbird companion (similar to the spirits in Symphony of the Night) that can also be leveled up as well, but I haven't learned how to use him yet.

Very, very engaging game. Its a bit "slower" as an action RPG, but it teaches you how to properly position and attack instead of just mashing and the rewarding character progression, exploration and art style make this game a small gem of a game. Fantastic game, also I want the soundtrack.

Kaladin

It sucks that you have to buy the Legendary package to get the Legendary upgrade for Skyrim. At least I didn't buy any of the DLC though, so I'm not double dipping with that. Also, you don't get a second copy of anything you previously own since it just upgrades it....that sucks.

Kaladin

The best thing I liked about Morrowind that wasn't a part of Skyrim is that jump was something you could level....and you could level it really high (maybe infinite). I got to the point where I was leaping tall buildings in a single bound and not taking any damage on the landing. Just jump everywhere you go.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It sucks that you have to buy the Legendary package to get the Legendary upgrade for Skyrim. At least I didn't buy any of the DLC though, so I'm not double dipping with that. Also, you don't get a second copy of anything you previously own since it just upgrades it....that sucks.

The Legendary Edition is just a standard Steam bundle consisting of Skyrim and the three DLC packs. You're free to purchase what you need separately if you already own the base game; it's not a repeat of the Fallout 3 situation where Fallout 3 + DLC and Fallout 3: GOTY are separate.

Kaladin

The Legendary Edition is just a bundle consisting of Skyrim and the three DLC packs. You're free to purchase what you need separately if you already own the base game.

The Legendary upgrade (legendary difficulty, mounted combat, ect.) is not an item you can purchase separately (like the old GTA or Doom games when those packs come up). Sure you're free to get the DLC packs, but that doesn't give you those bonuses that come with the Legendary Edition.

The Legendary Edition includes the original critically-acclaimed game, official add-ons – Dawnguard™, Hearthfire™, and Dragonborn™ – and added features like combat cameras, mounted combat, Legendary difficulty mode for hardcore players, and Legendary skills – enabling you to master every perk and level up your skills infinitely.

NIN90

The Legendary upgrade (legendary difficulty, mounted combat, ect.) is not an item you can purchase separately (like the old GTA or Doom games when those packs come up). Sure you're free to get the DLC packs, but that doesn't give you those bonuses that come with the Legendary Edition.

Wasn't that just a patch for the main game?

JaseC

Those elements were introduced via patches. They're not exclusive to the Legendary Edition. If you look at the page for the LE you'll see it's literally just a bundle of Skyrim and the DLC, as I said.

I don't think that's true, those were added into the standard game via patches.

JaseC

Not that I could tell.

Mounted combat: http://www.bethblog.com/2012/05/24/mounted-combat-arrives-in-latest-skyrim-update/
Legendary difficulty: http://www.bethblog.com/2013/03/04/now-on-steam-skyrim-1-9-beta-update/
etc.

Edit: Beaten.

Well damn....should have looked into that or posted here before buying it then. Could have saved ~$10.

Eh, not that big of a deal.

The way they present it on the steam page though, it looks like it's something extra:

see the last item here
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/28187/

That's just a link to the very same page. ;)

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Aztaka is DEFINITELY a great game and you can grab it really cheap in this bundle atm: http://groupees.com/arpg
azzz.jpg

aztaka46.jpg

I highly recommend grabbing it for cheap in that bundle: http://groupees.com/arpg

The visuals are good looking, the music is quite soothing, and the game played pretty well.
Also Aztaka does a few things in which I haven't seen before in a side scrolling adventure. For example, the inventory system has a very Western RPG feel. Think Baldur's Gate, only not as complex. There is also a spirit element that you use your mouse to help manipulate the environment. There seems to be a Metroid element in the game where as you gain new abilities you can access new areas that you couldn't before. I seem to also have a hummingbird companion (similar to the spirits in Symphony of the Night) that can also be leveled up as well, but I haven't learned how to use him yet.

Very, very engaging game. Its a bit "slower" as an action RPG, but it teaches you how to properly position and attack instead of just mashing and the rewarding character progression, exploration and art style make this game a small gem of a game. Fantastic game, also I want the soundtrack.

Toma is right. The game is a real gem.

Grief.exe

Dishonored should be a daily deal soon, right?

Tomorrow.

How is it better (love Skyrim btw), how big is the world, and is the combat just hack-slack or any tactical elements?

Question about Morrowind GOTY: are the expansion areas added seamless to the map?

Better atmosphere, story, not dumbed down to ludicrous levels, not shallow, deeper quests/factions, and, actually, the same engine.
I would liken it to the System Shock 2 version of Skyrim. It plops you down in this huge world, and tells you where to go but doesn't directly show you.

The most substantial change to the combat is making every swing guaranteed to connect.
Laughable really.

Needless to say, Morrowind is one of my favorite games of all time. If you can handle an older game, then it is great.
I personally think that Skyrim was a huge step down for the series. But had a great open world for people who like to wander around.

Nymphae

Banned
Better atmosphere, story, not dumbed down to ludicrous levels, not shallow, deeper quests/factions, and, actually, the same engine.
I would liken it to the System Shock 2 version of Skyrim. It plops you down in this huge world, and tells you where to go but doesn't directly show you.

The most substantial change to the combat is making every swing guaranteed to connect.
Laughable really.

Needless to say, Morrowind is one of my favorite games of all time. If you can handle an older game, then it is great.
I personally think that Skyrim was a huge step down for the series. But had a great open world for people who like to wander around.

There's no fast travel, right? That has kept me from trying it, and I loved Oblivion & Skyrim.

There's no fast travel, right? That has kept me from trying it, and I loved Oblivion & Skyrim.
The best part IMO about games like this is the journey. Traveling across the map and experiencing whatever happens along the way. Fast travel while useful deprives a player of that. Just my two cents

Oh, and does Morrowind have third person? I like 3rd Person view when traveling and not in combat

Nymphae

Banned
The best part IMO about games like this is the journey. Traveling across the map and experiencing whatever happens along the way. Fast travel while useful deprives a player of that. Just my two cents

I understand that 100% and agree with you, I just don't have the time for it anymore. These games take me upwards of 60 hours WITH fast travel, I would never finish them if I couldn't take advantage of FT. If I was younger I probably wouldn't mind as much.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Fast travel is for casuals who are ruining all these games bro. Time is not as valueable as you think. You should treasure every tedious trip back to your home to drop off loot that you might want to use down the road.

Nymphae

Banned
Fast travel is for casuals who are ruining all these games bro. Time is not as valueable as you think. You should treasure every tedious trip back to your home to drop off loot that you might want to use down the road.

It's more valuable than anything in my mind. To quote Jeff Gerstmann from this weeks Bombcast, time is the ultimate resource. I don't waste it anymore like I did when I was a teenager. More power to you if you enjoy that kind of slog though.

Darkroronoa

Aztaka is DEFINITELY a great game and you can grab it really cheap in this bundle atm

Fisrt time i hear about this,i am getting it since its cheap ,looks very interesting.Thanks!

It's more valuable than anything in my mind. To quote Jeff Gerstmann from this weeks Bombcast, time is the ultimate resource. I don't waste it anymore like I did when I was a teenager. More power to you if you enjoy that kind of slog though.

It's a video game, but you're right ;). Personally exploring the world casually is usually more fun that the forced sections for me anyway. I don't really remember doing any quests from any of the three elder scrolls, boring games where running around the fields for a couple of hours is the high point.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

I was actually joking. I love fast travel and I do hate wasting my time on menial traveling.

I'm unreasonably confused as to why my Castle Crashers and Blocks badges show up as completed on the Badge page, and yet the other ones still show this 'to the next level' garbage.

Thanks for the review. I know i can trust you if it comes to indie games so i bought it instantly.

So I just started to play Batman: Arkham City and I am getting both GFWL achievements and steam achievements whereas when I played Arkham Asylum the steam achievements were there but I only got GFWL achievements. I guess the transition is a slow process.

PriitV

If you already own the base game then you just need to buy the DLC.

If you own the base game, it's ~23€ to buy the DLC's, not owning the base game and it's 24€ for the complete package. I just can't get myself to buy the DLC's like that.

JaseC

So I just started to play Batman: Arkham City and I am getting both GFWL achievements and steam achievements whereas when I played Arkham Asylum the steam achievements were there but I only got GFWL achievements. I guess the transition is a slow process.

City has supported Steam achievements from the off.

If you own the base game, it's ~23€ to buy the DLC's, not owning the base game and it's 24€ for the complete package. I just can't get myself to buy the DLC's like that.

Ah, right. I'd assumed you were in the US (though the situation isn't much better). That's the annoying thing about price drops on base games: the DLC discounts tend to suffer.

Rflagg

I get tempted to get Skyrim every time they have a sale, but so far I haven't pulled the trigger. The main reason is I could never get into oblivion I played for about 40 hrs, but it never really clicked for me.

Maybe it is just the setting or the fact that Fallout 3 had vats, which kind of gave combat a turn based feel to me, but I loved that game do death, and have yet to get into a Elder scrolls game.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this Steam thread and fewer than five posts in the immediate previous Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ben There, Dan That -- MB-FD675B6BBB059AD0 - Taken by statham

Grief.exe

Arkham City has had Steam Achievements since release. Arkham Asylum and Bioshock 2 have had Steam Achievements added to the registry, but not unlocked for use yet.

My guess is they are going to get development completely done on the titles and then release everything at once.

I get tempted to get Skyrim every time they have a sale, but so far I haven't pulled the trigger. The main reason is I could never get into oblivion I played for about 40 hrs, but it never really clicked for me.

Maybe it is just the setting or the fact that Fallout 3 had vats, which kind of gave combat a turn based feel to me, but I loved that game do death, and have yet to get into a Elder scrolls game.

If you didn't like Oblivion than you won't like Skyrim.

They have dumbed it down even further and the world and quests have become infinitely more shallow.
At least Oblivion had interesting quest lines.

There isn't fast travel like Oblivion or Skyrim where you just open the map and hit a button.

You have to travel to specific locations to use the travel system. There are boats, mage guilds, propylon indices, and Slit Striders (flying bugs).

I agree with More Badass on this, fast travelling around really disconnects me from the world.

KingKong

I'm trying to get into System Shock 2 and I don't know, I'm not feeling it. Compared to classic games like Thief or Deus Ex, it just feels like it's missing something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom