• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get charged tax when I buy games (live in NY). So I won't get charged tax on added funds either, right? Only have $7, going to get $5 more. At least I'll be able to get 9.99 games

KingKong

Prolly sick grafx mods.

the graphics are actually surprisingly decent for what I thought was just minimal improvements.

Maybe it's how it starts, in Thief or Deus Ex you're fighting against interesting human enemies and have good level design and here you have zombies and a really cramped ship. Also the UI at my res (1920x1200) is basically unreadable

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I swear every time you post about a game, I spend money.

>.>

You didnt see me posting about Fray I guess:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39878405&postcount=11902

A few highlights:
- The game is unbelievably bad optimized and runs like shit no matter the PC configuration
- The game has 120 seconds turns in its slowest setting, which is actually needed if you properly want to play the game. But for beginners it makes the game unplayable. Additionally: if you end your turn faster, you'll get a fighting bonus. No time to play/train. This game is crazy beginner hostile.
- Load times between turns are horrible. Load times everywhere. Game stuck on the last turn for 10-15 seconds just to have the end screen pop up.
- And to add insult to injury, their main selling point: graphics. The awesome style in the trailer looks in fact... HORRIBLE ingame.

Clear recommendation: Don't go near this game. EVER. And NO, not even in a sale.

That was shortly after launch, so I should revisit the game sometime to see whether my points still stand. And I do post about other games too (mainly in the Indie thread), but I usually only go the extra length to post heavily and often about very good games that have a big chance of being liked by most people if they just checked it out.

Or about horrible, horrible games. Another game you wouldnt buy after I told you about it was Eternities Child.

i have 3 copies of skullgirls at $11.25 each if anybody is interested.

Dropped ya a PM. Skullgirls isn't quite my style of fighting game, so I didn't grab it on the 360. But now that a purchase is supporting both an indie fighting game developer and supporting fighting games on the PC I feel like I need to get onboard and give it a try.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
the graphics are actually surprisingly decent for what I thought was just minimal improvements.

Maybe it's how it starts, in Thief or Deus Ex you're fighting against interesting human enemies and have good level design and here you have zombies and a really cramped ship. Also the UI at my res (1920x1200) is basically unreadable

You can actually change the UI scaling in one of the cam.cfgs. cam_ext or something.

Ah...Teleglitch

Finally made it to Level 2. And then I died.

86014B0D8A011DF7238E36ECF1982440DD083134

043446F912C3D75504EB12786564A7B00EFFF30B

It may not look like much, but the gameplay, the tension of the unknown, the joy of finding a new gun or a medkit, is fantastic. When you enter a room with two shotgun rounds, 25 health, and one explosive, and a horde of mutants and zombies rush out of the area where you can't see and you just turn and flee the other way...it's worth every penny

I think that's what I like about roguelikes. Stealth games are unique because you have to outsmart and outmaneuver the enemy, and roguelikse are unique because half the time all you can is fucking run and hope for the best.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I put my Organ Trail booster pack up for 40 cents and it never sold. Took it off the market and opened it. Sold the foil it contained for $1.

Boosh.

Momentary

Banned
Saints Row IV, The Bureau, Lost Planet 3... Which one should I get out of those 3. Halp!!

Was thinking about getting Rayman Legends, but I haven't even beat my copy of Origins. I figured I should just wait for the winter sale. I was too late for Dunder's special. Has he said anything about getting more copies?

I think I'm definitely going to bite on Papers Please if I can get 2 more dollars from card sales.

Hopefully this will be my last haul of games until MGR and Naruto hit the store... and certain indie titles.

I have a problem.

Addnan

Saints Row IV, The Bureau, Lost Planet 3... Which one should I get out of those 3. Halp!!

Was thinking about getting Rayman Legends, but I haven't even beat my copy of Origins. I figured I should just wait for the winter sale. I was too late for Dunder's special. Has he said anything about getting more copies?

I think I'm definitely going to bite on Papers Please if I can get 2 more dollars from card sales.

Hopefully this will be my last haul of games until MGR and Naruto hit the store... and certain indie titles.

I have a problem.

Saints Row, the others will bomb. Prices will dive quicker, but then again Capcom

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Definitely not Lost Planet 3. It'll most assuredly be at least half off by the Winter Sale, not to mention there's a giant question mark over the quality of the game.

Tecl0n

I have a problem.

This reminds me how we've yet to recieve news about MGR :(

fantomena

Skyrim DLCs still seem expensive...

I think i'll pass until 75%

Me and you both.

I have a problem.

Saint's Row. The others will...
tumblr_m713p9Hcr01rzkjufo1_400.gif

Grief.exe

I have a problem.

Stay the hell away from Lost Planet 3. Capcom has obviously thrown that game out to die. There last trailer didn't include any gameplay footage whatsoever.

The Bureau and Saints Row IV look like solid products.
I would say the better value would probably be Saints Row IV. I think the Bureau could have benefited from some time of multiplayer, either co-op or horde mode.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The Bureau is a mystery. Could be the best third person squad shooter ever made. Could be unspeakably bad. It all comes down to the AI and the interface.

Momentary

Banned
Well, with The Bureau, I looking at getting Spec-Ops and all the other X-COM titles since Enemy Unknown is the only one I have. But, if Saints Row IV is going to be that awesome and I can pick it up for cheap on Nuuvem, maybe I should get that.
You should buy Castlevania Lords of Shadow instead.

That was acquired the moment it was available for purchase.

Well, with The Bureau, I looking at getting Spec-Ops and all the other X-COM titles since Enemy Unknown is the only one I have. But, if Saints Row IV is going to be that awesome and I can pick it up for cheap on Nuuvem, maybe I should get that.

Or you could get 3 fantastic Indie games : Papers please, Guacamelee and Spelunky.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Started playing I Am Alive. From the screenshots it looked nice, but in motion it's horrible to look at. Annoying filters all over the place, the backgrounds are blurred way beyond the realms of what's acceptable, and the greyscale color palette suits the game like a hip.hop song in a Pink Floyd album would.

The controls are pretty bad too, at least from what little I've played. Which was only 50 minutes, because the game decided to suddenly crash to desktop (even though I properly cleaned my PC right before playing it). I don't think I made it to any save point, so if I have to replay everything up to that moment
(when I entered the apartment)
I will be pissed.

At least I had been warned by Antitrop that the game wasn't good, so I brought this upon myself. Oh well, maybe I need some LSD to appreciate this, so I can actually see some colors (although that's not how the drug really works, from what I've been told.)

Tokubetsu

Good man.

I can understand why they don't let you roll back patches on Steam, but i'm still quite annoyed at not being able to do it.

Long ago, a patch for Deus Ex: HR broke a lot of lighting in ENB series. You would get these huge polygonal shapes in place of light sources.

Determined to fix this, I caved in and downloaded a crack of an earlier version of the game. It feels dirty and you lose some Steam functionality, but it's the only way.

At least it wasn't GTAIV downgrading..

Being a big fan of Oblivion, and Skyrim to a lesser extent, I just bought Morrowind.

I saw the link earlier to Morrowind Overhaul, are there any other mods I should install before diving in?

EDIT: Ah. Big, dumb me didn't read that overhaul IS a collection of mods...Off to install I go!

fantomena

Guys. Im stick in Fez. Im where all the epeople live right now, the big tree or whatever it is, where Fez starts. Where do I go?

Edit: Found it out.

Grief.exe

Being a big fan of Oblivion, and Skyrim to a lesser extent, I just bought Morrowind.

I saw the link earlier to Morrowind Overhaul, are there any other mods I should install before diving in?

EDIT: Ah. Big, dumb me didn't read that overhaul IS a collection of mods...Off to install I go!

This is what I used http://www.somethingfornobody.com/blog/morrowind-modding-guide/

Don't know what the differences are between this guide and the overhaul. The latter is probably significantly easier to install though.

People already mentioned how to fix the UI so I won't repeat that but as far as the game itself I thought it was the weakest of the "immersion sims" and Dark Engine games. Survival horror and repetitive environments don't make for an experience that I'm as fond of as the Thiefs, Deus Ex or Vampire Bloodlines. I still think it's really good, and definitely the best of the Shocks, but it's lowest on the totem pole of greats.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Started playing I Am Alive. From the screenshots it looked nice, but in motion it's horrible to look at. Annoying filters all over the place, the backgrounds are blurred way beyond the realms of what's acceptable, and the greyscale color palette suits the game like a hip.hop song in a Pink Floyd album would.

The controls are pretty bad too, at least from what little I've played. Which was only 50 minutes, because the game decided to suddenly crash to desktop (even though I properly cleaned my PC right before playing it). I don't think I made it to any save point, so if I have to replay everything up to that moment
(when I entered the apartment)
I will be pissed.

At least I had been warned by Antitrop that the game wasn't good, so I brought this upon myself. Oh well, maybe I need some LSD to appreciate this, so I can actually see some colors (although that's not how the drug really works, from what I've been told.)
I somewhat dug all the grey and muted colors in this one but there's a color mod for it if you're interested:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/214250/discussions/0/864945865138023200/

I don't know if there's any way to remove the noise filter though.

Freezard

So my first impressions of Tomb Raider: Underworld. I got to Mexico and it has been pretty fun so far. A lot of puzzles and platforming which is nice, thought it would be more action oriented. Fortunately it's not since the fighting system sucks ass, all there is to it is to lock-on to enemies and kill them without ever having to aim. The platforming is nice but Lara doesn't control that well, sometimes you jump through a long part and on the last jump she decides to mess up so you have to redo it all. After having played through PoP: The Forgotten Sands I miss the smooth movements and "targeted jumps" even though I hated them while playing the game. Backtracking through a whole dungeon to the entrance also sucked since it was literally doing everything in reverse.

The graphics are nothing special, kind of bland and boring caves and underwater scenes, but hey, the game is five years old already. Thailand is beautiful though with its turquoise water and exotic landscape. Not sure what Norse mythology has to do with the places you visit but the story is still pretty interesting. I still like Anniversary better because I think it had better puzzle/platforming elements, but at least I didn't quit after an hour like with Legend. Also
Dark Lara
scared the crap out of me.

Exeunt

The very beginning of System Shock 2 could be seen as a little rough (though I'd argue the same is true for Deus Ex if you count the tutorial) in my opinion. Melee feels pretty janky, there isn't much ammo at the start, the music is surprisingly loud and energetic by default, and areas won't stay clear for long thanks to the respawning enemies. Someone mentioned in a different thread that the that the game gets easier once you clear the Engineering level, and I think that's true due to a combination of skill and less frequent enemy respawns right behind your back.

I also thought each deck had a different feel thanks to its music and atmosphere, but compared to Deus Ex I can understand how some might find it a little repetitive in terms of the visuals. You do get some variety in there though, such as (early-to-mid environment spoilers)
pitch-black cargo holds filled with robots, or deserted shopping areas

I don't know. I played both System Shock 2 and Deus Ex for the first time this year and loved them for different reasons. System Shock 2 does lean more towards survival horror however, and isn't quite as flexible in how you upgrade your character or traverse the environment.

Kifimbo

For the last time:

Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this Steam thread and fewer than five posts in the immediate previous Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gratuitous Space Battles -- MB-69AB24DB6C0CA035 - Taken by AbundantChoice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom