• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
The very beginning of System Shock 2 could be seen as a little rough (though I'd argue the same is true for Deus Ex if you count the tutorial) in my opinion. Melee feels pretty janky, there isn't much ammo at the start, the music is surprisingly loud and energetic by default, and areas won't stay clear for long thanks to the respawning enemies. Someone mentioned in a different thread that the that the game gets easier once you clear the Engineering level, and I think that's true due to a combination of skill and less frequent enemy respawns right behind your back.

I also thought each deck had a different feel thanks to its music and atmosphere, but compared to Deus Ex I can understand how some might find it a little repetitive in terms of the visuals. You do get some variety in there though, such as (early-to-mid environment spoilers)
pitch-black cargo holds filled with robots, or deserted shopping areas

I don't know. I played both System Shock 2 and Deus Ex for the first time this year and loved them for different reasons. System Shock 2 does lean more towards survival horror however, and isn't quite as flexible in how you upgrade your character or traverse the environment.

thanks for your impressions, going to dive right into ss2 after i finish up far cry 3. From what you played so far do you consider deus ex to be the better game?

t-ramp

I'm actually downloading System Shock 2 now on this very slow hotel internet. Will probably play a bit later, assuming no technical issues prevent playing on my laptop.

Exeunt

thanks for your impressions, going to dive right into ss2 after i finish up far cry 3. From what you played so far do you consider deus ex to be the better game?

I've beaten both System Shock 2 and Deus Ex once, but I don't know whether I would say one is definitely the better game.

In System Shock 2, you're focussed by design on a relationship with one or two characters, and you can listen to audio logs to learn about those who died before you if you're interested; Deus Ex features a fuller cast, but you'll often end up leaving characters behind after you've helped them out. In some ways, System Shock 2 hides its age better by having AI creatures and robots as opposed lots of (dumb) humans in Deus Ex, and most of the environments also hide the low polygon count a little better rather than attempting real world areas. The sound positioning in System Shock 2 is also far superior to what you'll hear in Deus Ex, making it much easier to hear where enemies are in the game. On the other hand, the game sort of falls apart near the end, whereas Deus Ex is more consistent in my opinion. There's a great horror vibe and a sense of unravelling the events that have conspired on the ship while your character was in cryosleep.

Deus Ex is a bit more RPG-ish, and its upgrade system is a little more flexible and robust like I mentioned. You have two-way NPC interaction (versus either being told what to do or listening to things that already happened), and small actions that you take are factored into future dialogue and events in small-to-fairly-large ways. But while System Shock 2 mainly gets cheesy by the end with only a few spotty voice actors here and there, Deus Ex has a load of charming-but-cheesy voice actors throughout the game. There's more variety in how you approach your objectives, but you're still taken from area to area rather than staying in one main location that gradually opens up to you like in System Shock 2. It's quite the adventure, and avoids some mechanics that some might find frustrating about System Shock 2 like respawning enemies and breaking weapons. It gives you a more directed adventure that recognizes how you attack its individual episodes.

FloatOn

Think Im done with XCOM: EU. Getting boring.

too difficult?

Once cyber disks were introduced I was getting my ass handed to me on the regular. So much so that I put that game on hiatus. I really should finish it one day. I'll probably polish it off once I get done with The Bureau.

Just played through all of Kairo, and I dig it. It's pretty abstract, but satisfying without being impossibly confusing. The secret ending is worth getting too. I had a good time with the 4ish hours I spent doing everything.

...and the cards are going for Trading Card beta prices...

maneil99

Where you you getting your copies from? nearly all of them on tf2outpost are ~15$ and you are in Canada according to your Steam profile. Just curious.

Are prices that low? I don't buy them from the store, I normally get a seller to buy them, will adjust price. He only takes keys so the price is normally about 1$ more then average

Echoplx

Are prices that low? I don't buy them from the store, I normally get a seller to buy them, will adjust price. He only takes keys so the price is normally about 1$ more then average

If you can just lower the price by $5 like that doesn't that mean you are getting the game for even lower? If not you would be selling at a loss..

RavenHawk

Can anyone use any the following coupons?
  • 66% off Awesomenauts - Exp 8/5
  • 50% off Shank 2 - Exp 8/7 and 8/8 (2 coupons)
  • 50% off Strike Suit Infinity - Exp 8/8
  • 33% off Twin Sector - Exp 8/9
  • 25% off Dungeon Hearts - Exp 8/10

Nah, think Im playing on medium or something, it's easier than expected. Just some maps where I need to load a new save because my tactics were wrong, but that's all.

I have played it in 14 hours according to Steam.

That may be why you're already bored of it. Lots of people start it on normal due to the fear of classic crushing them, but you're not doing yourself any favours. Classic/Ironman adds a layer of tension you can't find on medium, which is way too easy imo. Part of the replayability of the game is losing and having to try again - adjusting your tactics along the way.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I somewhat dug all the grey and muted colors in this one but there's a color mod for it if you're interested:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/214250/discussions/0/864945865138023200/

I don't know if there's any way to remove the noise filter though.
Yeah, but it still looks ugly, and the blur and stupid effects are still there. I'm gonna give this game another chance, but if it craps on me again I'm uninstalling it letting it rot in my HDD forever.

I loved the Wind Waker, I want to buy a Wii U just for the HD remake!
It's great, even with that big fetch quest. Though I had to ask a friend where to find a certain item I needed, and I haven't beaten the final boss.

masterkajo

Nah, think Im playing on medium or something, it's easier than expected. Just some maps where I need to load a new save because my tactics were wrong, but that's all.

I have played it in 14 hours according to Steam.

That's the problem right there. For me the enjoyment of XCom EU comes from playing on Classic (or Impossible) on Ironman. When your tactics fail and you play on Ironman you don't even think about reloading but just about how you can handle the situation with the least casualties possible. I tried playing it without Ironman but everytime even a very little thing went wrong I just reloaded (because I could). Did take all the fun out for me and got boring really quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom