• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momentary

Banned
Is there a program that deletes needless files from the Steam folder. I know there's one to move files. I've only got 36gb left in my 2TB external and I'm trying to stretch it out as much as possible.

But there is a very popular statistic that said LoL reached 5 mill CONCURRENT. And what do you mean by "in total?"

My bad. Info that I was looking at was from 2011.

And by total mean the entire DOTA 2 user base, not just concurrent players.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Is there a program that deletes needless files from the Steam folder. I know there's one to move files. I've only got 36gb left in my 2TB external and I'm trying to stretch it out as much as possible.

Yes, it deletes "redistributable" files, like DirectX and .NET Framework installations.

http://steamcleaner.tikione.fr/en/

However, if you "check installation" on those games, they will re download those files.

HoosTrax

Started a thread dedicated to roguelikes. If you want to discuss your favorite game, share your desperate moments, or just why you enjoy the genre, come over to RogueGAF
This seems like the kind of thread that going to degenerate into curmudgeons claiming that any newish game that doesn't use ASCII graphics doesn't count as a true roguelike.

---

On a similar note, if you're going to use an old-school genre, it doesn't hurt to put a modern spin on it. Text adventures and Monster Loves You being an example.

denx

I'm hovering over the play button for Dota 2.

Me too. I played a couple of hours of Dota 2 last year against bots. Played as Lich and Jakiro and had some fun with it. The best thing for me was the feeling of constantly learning new things, either by playing the game itself, reading/watching tutorials, or watching other people play.

Then I left the game and didn't play it again. I felt overwhelmed by the insane learning curve. Watching TI3 is making me want to try the game again.

Sober

Me too. I played a couple of hours of Dota 2 last year against bots. Played as Lich and Jakiro and had some fun with it. The best thing for me was the feeling of constantly learning new things, either by playing the game itself, reading/watching tutorials, or watching other people play.

Then I left the game and didn't play it again. I felt overwhelmed by the insane learning curve. Watching TI3 is making me want to try the game again.
I haven't played in a year but I had played dota2 then and DotA: Allstars and the original DOTA before that. It's really interesting to watch especially once you pick up some of the nuances of the game and you can see how everything starts to work together.

This seems like the kind of thread that going to degenerate into curmudgeons claiming that any newish game that doesn't use ASCII graphics doesn't count as a true roguelike.

Probably. Demon Souls isn't exactly the best start.

On LoL popularity, as an outsider to both games I see it as a much more accessible experience...which has probably resulted in a lot of female players and streamers. I think that sort of thing becomes self perpetuating after a while.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm thinking about playing DoTA 2 because you have to have a lot of MOBA playtime to even comprehend what's going on in a tourney. But the match times combined with the stories about the community really put me off.

Oddly enough, I had none of those issues with Awesomenauts.

That's primarily why I'm interested in getting in to it as well, but I just can't bring myself to take the plunge right now. School starts up again in about two weeks and I still want to finish a bunch of my summer sale games.

Tenrius

So I tried Men of War: Assault Squad and it's a bit different from what I expected. Being that the only previous game of this series I played was the demo of the first one, aka Soldiers: Heroes of World War II, I expected something more like an action-oriented Commandos game, with a few specialized soldiers, hijacking tanks and whatnot.

Instead, it seems to be heavily reminiscent of CoH, even the intro mission is very similar to CoH's D-day. One thing I don't understand is why I have a big squad of soldiers that is supposed to act as a whole, but each of them has a separate inventory which can only be accessed by selecting them individually. That makes looting dead enemies and crates kinda uncomfortable if you have the whole squad selected.

denx

I'm thinking about playing DoTA 2 because you have to have a lot of MOBA playtime to even comprehend what's going on in a tourney. But the match times combined with the stories about the community really put me off.

Oddly enough, I had none of those issues with Awesomenauts.

That's because Awesomenauts is much more newbie friendly by not having the insane amount of abilities/item combinations and mechanics that Dota does, and puts a twist on the MOBA genre by being a 2D action platformer. The mechanics, art style and overall feel of the game makes it harder to get angry when playing it, so the community there is not nearly as awful as in other MOBA's.

jyoung188

Cross post from the stupid question thread:

I installed GTA4 Episodes From Liberty City today on my PC (Windows 7) and I played it a couple times today for over an hour in total and I shut my PC off.

About 5 hours later I get back home and turn on my PC and click on Episodes From Liberty City in Steam to launch it and I get an error, the title of the popup is "EFLC" and it says "Could not write license data! Please contact Customer Support for further instructions."

I tried googling it seems to be and issue with secuROM and there seems to be a fix but its all about permissions and command line shit and I am useless when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Has anyone had this issue with GTA? Is there an easy fix?

Please help me GAF!

Anyone have this issue?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yo Grief you ignored this challenge last time I suggested it, but I think that you should man up and stand by your promise for GFWL being removed from Bestshock 2 and Batmans by fasting with your posts (stop posting) until it gets removed. It would be really moving to see someone so dedicated to the cause commit to something like that.

We would all be standing behind you in support/

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yo Grief you ignored this challenge last time I suggested it, but I think that you should man up and stand by your promise for GFWL being removed from Bestshock 2 and Batmans by fasting with your posts (stop posting) until it gets removed. It would be really moving to see someone so dedicated to the cause commit to something like that.

We would all be standing behind you in support/
Poor Grief :(

But now that you mention it, maybe if he stops posting the mod guides for Deus Ex and System Shock 2 every time someone says they've bought one of those games Valve will patch them on the Steam versions!

still <3 you Grief

You should throw your support behind half life 3.

thanks for the impression exenut, can't wait to dive into it. Deus ex is one of my favorite games so that only gets me more excited for ss2. Did you use the graphic mods on your first playthrough?

Graphics mods are recommended.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
No I saw that but I just wanted to check that applies to all of the games in the bundle.

Of course it does, otherwise it wouldn't be on the page. :p If you check the pages of the included games, though, you'll also see that Steam is mentioned on all of them.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

---

On a similar note, if you're going to use an old-school genre, it doesn't hurt to put a modern spin on it. Text adventures and Monster Loves You being an example.

Pfff, shows what you know. The only real games were text based. And none of that white text on black screen nonsense.

That Rayman deal is incredible but I'm grabbing the Vita version so I'll use restraint.

Did you ever get the Humble Bundle you were after? I was going to PM you but I was too tired.

Danj

Of course it does, otherwise it wouldn't be on the page. :p If you check the pages of the included games, though, you'll also see that Steam is mentioned on all of them.

Okay, thanks.

EDIT: Max Payne complete bundle cost me £9.12 with the 20% off voucher, and Bully cost me £2 with the same voucher.

Went to finish off Sleeping Dogs today... all my saves were gone, not in the Cloud, not on my hard drive. Bummer.

That sucks. Good excuse to play through again though.

I finished Hitman story today. Now to decide if I want to try 100%ing the missions or just move on to Dishonored.

Card Boy

Banned
Dunder is selling it for 12$ paypal I am selling it for 14$ Steam funds ( 7 tf2 keys ) Its the rayman legends + origins pre order bonus

Dunder is selling stuff again? He has no post in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread and i see nothing note worthy according to his post history.

I really wanted Payday 2/Skullgirls.

JaseC

Oh.

My.

God.

weedjxx04.jpg

Best $7 I've ever spent.

The next groupees bundle
mYlssBR.jpg

Cherry Tree High Comedy Club, Ether Vapor Remastered and Yatagarasu Attack. The first 2 games have steam cards.

Thank you for Cubemen Dimitri!

Shaping up to be a neat bundle. Looks like it's a build-a-bundle, so hopefully the other games involved are good too.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Finally started Remember Me tonight, despite buying it just a couple weeks after launch. While it definitely feels kinda clunky, the style is more than enough to get me to enjoy it. I'm consistently in awe of how cool it looks. My only legit beef with the game is how long it holds your hand. I finished episode two and I'm only just now getting to a point where they've slowed down with the tutorial stuff. If you've played a game before, you know what to do. They really make sure you understand, though.

Dundee selling Rayman for $12 is nuts. I may take them up on the offer, I really enjoyed Origins. Only problem is that I don't have enough wired 360 controllers for 4-player co-op, but for $12 I can live with that.

edit: whoops, meant Dunder obviously, but Dundee made me laugh so I'm keeping it

hamchan

Why does LoL have so many more players?

Unless I'm way out of mark here, It was a paid game, it had a small amount of characters, became F2P rapidly after being released, it has characters behind the pay wall...

Other than being an easier take on the (original) DOTA gameplay, I don't understand why it's so popular.

Everybody and their mother plays LoL in Brazil, and I can't understand why they would, then there's Dota 2.

The original Dota was already one of the most played games in the world.

Offering up a F2P version of that addictive formula, with it being easier to play, plus adding meta layers with exp and in game currency, that's just a recipe for success.

LoL pretty much had no competition for a long time too. HoN was played but that's merely a small blip in the grand scheme of things.

Also Dota 2 just launched so I wouldn't expect it to reach anywhere near LoL's numbers for a very long time. Valve is also being very weird about this launch, seemingly not bothering to market it at all, besides the International 3. It didn't even get a splash page on the Steam store or any picture anywhere that says "hey Dota 2 is out, click here to play". Pretty sure some TF2 updates have gotten more marketing than Dota 2 has so far.

I'm sure they're doing it because they don't want to crash the servers or disrupt the play of the regular players, which is a good thing I guess. The downside is that they made the launch of their game feel like a non-event.

JaseC

I don't know if I should list it now at ~$24 or wait about a week and see how the market fares. The sales history graph is all over the place.

zkylon

zkylewd
Why does LoL have so many more players?

Unless I'm way out of mark here, It was a paid game, it had a small amount of characters, became F2P rapidly after being released, it has characters behind the pay wall...

Other than being an easier take on the (original) DOTA gameplay, I don't understand why it's so popular.

Everybody and their mother plays LoL in Brazil, and I can't understand why they would, then there's Dota 2.
it's just easier to get into

I played lol once and got hooked, I played dota after playing lol for a year and a half and I was lost beyond help

also people play the multiplayer games their friends are playing, so lol's playerbase just snowballs off the huge amount of people already playing it.

it's the same as call of duty

also waifus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom