• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

Renegade Ops is funnier than I thought, but Avalanche did a really bad job porting it. I can't even find the resolution settings if there are any.

Turfster

How is The Knife of Dunwall DLC for Dishonored? Recently finished Dishonored which I enjoyed, and the DLC is only 3,39€ right now.

Finished it a few days ago. It's only 3 maps, but I think it took me about 5 hours.
It's great, but can be pretty hard if you want to ghost/clean hands it.

Renegade Ops is funnier than I thought, but Avalanche did a really bad job porting it. I can't even find the resolution settings if there are any.

They are there, in the options, you're just not looking good enough - I clearly remember playing in 1600x900 because I was losing fps in 1080p. You may need to press Enter after changing them there to take effect.

Knife is story extension (first part, second part, 'Witches', gets released sometime this month I think). Trials is more axed towards killing and is random challenge maps.

Knife of Dunwall is the only real expansion. The city trials pack is fun but pretty insubstantial and has no story.

Let me get this straight: Knife of Dunwall is a yeah
City Trials is a meh

And are any of the Void Walker Arsenal abilities worth it?

Grief.exe

Hey now, Deus Ex ain't obtuse. The game is pretty clear in that aspect: "Here's what you have to do. How you do it is up to you."

No idea. Here's hoping for a crack emoticon.

More obtuse when compared to modern games where they tell you what to do, show an arrow on screen, and a bright line in he ground.

I remember reading the development of Dishonored when Arkane was QA'ing the game.
A guard would tell a player that they couldn't go upstairs, the player would get confused, and was unable to complete the mission.

I can't even make this shit up. I worry about our hobby.

OK, so, here's the situation. I am sort of interested in trying Dishonoured, but I hate stealth games. It's not the games' fault, I just do not click with the genre - including Mark of the Ninja, which upset me because I really wanted to like it.

Anyway, I can get it with card money, but am I going to be getting the best experience playing it without stealth?

Turfster

Let me get this straight: Knife of Dunwall is a yeah
City Trials is a meh

And are any of the Void Walker Arsenal abilities worth it?
You got it.
Void walker arsenal...
Oh, this is just the preorder bonus shit packed together.
Don't bother.

Anyway, I can get it with card money, but am I going to be getting the best experience playing it without stealth?
I've seen people have lots of fun killing everything, it's just not for me ;)

Yeah, full stealth play in that game is boring anyway
Lies!

Addnan

OK, so, here's the situation. I am sort of interested in trying Dishonoured, but I hate stealth games. It's not the games' fault, I just do not click with the genre - including Mark of the Ninja, which upset me because I really wanted to like it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've only seen The Lovely Bones, creepy ass movie.

It's not one I'd recommend someone watch if they're after something great or are expecting a solid adaptation of the book, but I think the strong performances of Stanley Tucci and of course Saoirse herself are worthy of the temporal investment -- it's also well shot, and Brian Eno's score is amazing, but I loathe Jackson's CGIfest interpretation of "the in-between" (the CGI being of questionable quality certainly doesn't help). Her performance in the film I'd still rate as her best to date, and on a related note I'd probably put Byzantium ahead of Hanna in this regard, but I'll watch it again before making a final judgement.

I never wanna know

Your wish is my command. ;)

They should be in the options menu. The 16:9 example screenshot on WSGF is 1920x1080.

Actually.... yea, I just did this, you can just slowly walk through the world admiring it and brutally kill everything, bust through the front door and shoot everything in slow mo. It is slightly more enjoyable to kill everyone stealthily without other people around seeing, more exciting. The upside then is that you can just leisurely explore and rob the world then free of any npc's, at all, but this kinda breaks the game.

JaseC said:
It's not one I'd recommend someone watch if they're after something great or are expecting a solid adaptation of the book, but I think the strong performances of Stanley Tucci and of course Saoirse herself are worthy of the temporal investment. Her performance in the film I'd still rate as her best to date, and on a related note I'd probably put Byzantium ahead of Hanna in this regard, but I'll watch it again before making a final judgement.

I thought it was pretty excellent, very powerful, and I enjoyed it. You have to agree that the source material is a tad creepy though, especially the underground den bit.

Grief.exe said:
Oblivion straddles the large gap between Skyrim and Morrowind.
There are certain points where Bethesda began to dumb down the game.
But it still has the deep leveling system and good quests.

The leveling system in Oblivion is arguably one of its biggest flaws because of how enemies scale as you level up. You're free to choose whatever stats you want but if you don't level up the same two stats that enemies always scale up with each level you're going to have a bad time. Nevermind that loot is complete garbage in that game, always scaled to your level and enemies gear will scale with yours. Outside of the Dark Brotherhood questline, I'm hard pressed to think a decent quest with unique, worthwhile rewards in Oblivion.

You need to download a couple of mods to make Oblivion an enjoyable game.

Senator Soufflé;74708011 said:
Is No Time To Explain worth picking up?

I would say absolutely not. It's frustrating but in a "this mechanic is too fiddly" way, rather than a clever level design Super Meat Boy way.

JaseC

Ditto. It's a wonderfully creative action game, but a decidedly mediocre stealth game.

I thought it was pretty excellent, very powerful, and I enjoyed it. You have to agree that the subject material was a tad creepy though, especially the underground den bit.

Certainly, though that scene is probably my favourite one in the film.

After watching Filming The Lovely Bones (an excellent ~three-hour documentary that chronicles production), I couldn't help but feel a little bad for Jackson that the film was lambasted as much as it was -- it was clearly a labour of love.

You're gonna get the bad ending if you kill too much, but I found that the game is much more enjoyable if you just go guns blazing. There's so many awesome ways to kill enemies.

Tellaerin

The leveling system in Oblivion is arguably one of its biggest flaws because of how enemies scale as you level up. You're free to choose whatever stats you want but if you don't level up the same two stats that enemies always scale up with each level you're going to have a bad time. Nevermind that loot is complete garbage in that game, always scaled to your level and enemies gear will scale with yours. Outside of the Dark Brotherhood questline, I'm hard pressed to think a decent quest with unique, worthwhile rewards in Oblivion.

You need to download a couple of mods to make Oblivion an enjoyable game.

I'm running Oblivion with Francesco's for my first playthrough, along with the unofficial patches and some cosmetic mods, and I've actually been having a good time with it. (Level scaling annoys me enough that I wanted to mod it before I started playing) I thought about going with OOO or FCOM, but I figure I'll get more fancy once I've finished it once. Didn't we have an Oblivion modding thread here at one point?

Grief.exe

Its so satisfying to kill the targets in Dishonored.

The Pendeltons had some custom kill animations. Felt right considering how evil and corrupt they were.

Otherwise, I'm going for a no kill and no alert play through.

JaseC

I'd have to say that Thief 2 is still my favourite stealth game. I wasted so many hours exploring every inch of the level(s?) in the demo way back when.

JaseC

Haven't played the original Thief games, but my favorite stealth game is Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

Followed by Hitman Blood Money and Mark of the Ninja

I've never played a Hitman game. I'm pretty good at ignoring franchises. :p

Mark of the Ninja I'll probably resume now that I'm done with Just Collectables 2.

I've never played a Hitman game. I'm pretty good at ignoring franchises. :p

Mark of the Ninja I'll probably resume now that I'm done with Just Collectables 2.
Well they're less about sneaking than about hiding in plain sight. Blood Money is my favorite in the series. Hopefully IO can redeem themselves next gen after Absolution

Also, regarding Thief 2: Are the graphics in this gameplay video modded? They look better than I expected. Now I regret getting Deadly Shadows instead of 2

Grief.exe

It's my first playthrough and reading up on Shifter, it seems like it's a nice addition and "smooths" the experience.

Any strong reasons for not using it?

The blurb from that reddit post makes it seem like a community patch similar to Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines.

But when I go to the Moddb page, it describes how it adds new weapons, alt-fire options, and all these other gameplay changes.

I'd have to say that Thief 2 is still my favourite stealth game. I wasted so many hours exploring every inch of the level(s?) in the demo way back when.

I started playing The Dark Project this morning. I've only played the first mission, but I'm already getting into this game much better than I did with my first attempt at System Shock 2.

It's my first playthrough and reading up on Shifter, it seems like it's a nice addition and "smooths" the experience.

Any strong reasons for not using it?
It changes the game's design. You won't be playing Deus Ex, you'd be playing Shifter. I think it's a fine remix to things for replay value, but isn't how you should be experiencing the game fresh.

One big thing it does is give you exp for every encounter, and modifies your gains depending on approach. It rewards you more for stealth, and while that is typical for most games it's not how Deus Ex traditionally works; you're supposed to play how you feel like and the game doesn't normally incentivize it one way or another within its systems.

Tellaerin

Now you guys have me trying to find my old Thief disc. So far I'm failing miserably. (Though I did find my old Blind Guardian CD's. And my copy of Unreal Tournament 2003, though that's probably better off left buried. >.> )

Fewr

I've got the following discounts to give away. PM me if interested.

-50% Garry's Mod
-90% Serious Sam HD First Encounter
-60% Sins of a Solar Empire Trinity
-50% Triple Town

Divius

If I sell my very last card on the market I have exactly enough wallet funds to buy SMB (I promised myself not to spend any more money on steam until the next sale). So if someone here is looking for Axis Assault - Day of Defeat: Source Trading Card and is willing to pay 2 cents more than the lowest bid; that'd be great :p

I'm running Oblivion with Francesco's for my first playthrough, along with the unofficial patches and some cosmetic mods, and I've actually been having a good time with it. (Level scaling annoys me enough that I wanted to mod it before I started playing) I thought about going with OOO or FCOM, but I figure I'll get more fancy once I've finished it once. Didn't we have an Oblivion modding thread here at one point?

There was an Elderscrolls modding thread but it's pretty old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom