• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ducktales seems to have gone the route of Far Cry Blood Dragon and be region locked all over the place, even when it's a $15 game.

Strange, Disney going to Disney I guess. Just for that I'm not going to preorder so that I can .... well whatever reason they thought people would preorder a digital game for with no discount or incentive.

Salsa

Also I bought 2 copies of Ducktales for a gaffer in Ukraine cause apparently the version they got is "weird", according to him

not sure if it means language stuff or what

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Strange, Disney going to Disney I guess. Just for that I'm not going to preorder so that I can .... well whatever reason they thought people would preorder a digital game for with no discount or incentive.
Gotta preorder in case they run out of keys!

Wait a minute...

Salsa

Eh honestly I expect every dev/pub to do this in the future to avoid all this stuff of people getting games cheap. Steam just needs to find a better way around prohibiting regional gifting.

Cause as it stands now, games that are region locked = no "gift" button available in countries where the game is cheaper (not in all cases, but in most), and that's just fucked, cause you might wanna just buy the game for a buddy on your same region, but you cant.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ducktales seems to have gone the route of Far Cry Blood Dragon and be region locked all over the place, even when it's a $15 game.

so yeah if you wanna get that ugliness dont expect any deals on it or it showing up for tf2 keys or whatever you weirdos do

Blood Dragon isn't region-locked -- there's one app and one sub. Ducktales has an RU/CIS-specific sub but there's no region info attached to it at the moment.

Edit: Oh, you're referring to the ability to buy it as a gift.

Salsa

Blood Dragon isn't region-locked -- there's one app and one sub. Ducktales has an RU/CIS-specific sub but there's no region info attached to it at the moment.

you cant gift it from any CIS country, that's what this guy was telling me and why he asked me to get 2 copies instead of 1

I remember blood dragon being weird about something and I just figured it was similar, maybe im wrong

They put a Gizmoduck or Scrooge hat for TF2, I would buy it no sweat.

JaseC

you cant gift it from any CIS country, that's what this guy was telling me

Yeah:

aw7kxrr.jpg

Edit: Are there any Russian equivalents to the likes of GamersGate or GMG?

Dice

It costs $10 in Russia? Holy shit. Did they even bother going to economics class?

wilflare

will the 4pack trick work on it though?

Open two tabs of the Steam Store on your browers

(1) On Tab ONE, add a random item to cart and proceed with checkout WHERE you get to select (Email/Friend/Add to Inventory)

(2) On Tab TWO, add the needed item to cart. At the Cart screen, remove the random item.

(3) Back to Tab ONE, continue with checkout as normal, on the final confirmation screen, the needed item should appear.

It worked for me when I needed to host multiple 4packs

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Steam still hasn't recovered from the sale. I put an item up on the market 30 mins ago and it still hasn't appeared.

JaseC

will the 4pack trick work on it though?

Open two tabs of the Steam Store on your browers

(1) On Tab ONE, add a random item to cart and proceed with checkout WHERE you get to select (Email/Friend/Add to Inventory)

(2) On Tab TWO, add the needed item to cart. At the Cart screen, remove the random item.

(3) Back to Tab ONE, continue with checkout as normal, on the final confirmation screen, the needed item should appear.

It worked for me when I needed to host multiple 4packs

Someone in RU/CISland will have to try this as "The current payment method does not match the country of the store" will kick in when confirming what type of gift purchase you'd like to make.

So tempted to get Ducktales, Spelunky, Skullgirls and Guacamelee but I already bought Papers, Please and Castlevania Lords of Shadow and I need some cash for Etrian Odyssey 4 and Shin Megami Tensei Soul Hackers. Not like I don't have the money but I really shouldn't be spending this much.

Blizzard

Banned
Petey, the Cannon Brawl developer, seems to be updating and replying very quickly on the Steam forum, which is cool. I just hope they don't burn out from reading the mess that the Steam forums tend to be.

They did say that configurable controls should be coming, so yay! There are also some balance patch(es), and maybe new resolutions and vsync upcoming.

It's a clever idea for a game. It quickly sank down the top seller list, but I hope it's at least moderately successful.

Grief.exe

So tempted to get Ducktales, Spelunky, Skullgirls and Guacamelee but I already bought Papers, Please and Castlevania Lords of Shadow and I need some cash for Etrian Odyssey 4 and Shin Megami Tensei Soul Hackers. Not like I don't have the money but I really shouldn't be spending this much.

Console games hurt the wallet.

They are so expensive.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Petey, the Cannon Brawl developer, seems to be updating and replying very quickly on the Steam forum, which is cool. I just hope they don't burn out from reading the mess that the Steam forums tend to be.

They did say that configurable controls should be coming, so yay! There are also some balance patch(es), and maybe new resolutions and vsync upcoming.

It's a clever idea for a game. It quickly sank down the top seller list, but I hope it's at least moderately successful.
I played the Cannon Brawl alpha and it was awesome. It's an early release so I think they'll get a second chance at a full launch, with the benefit of months of balance testing and tweaking.

Blizzard

Banned
I rather want Ducktales despite some people not liking the graphics. However, a couple of dollars off as a preorder incentive WOULD be nice.

Also I don't think Papers, Please would compete with Spelunky or Guacamelee since they are different genres. Watching a video of a playthrough on youtube, I don't mean to be rude, but...is there more to the game than investigating and stamping the passports? :S

Also I don't think Papers, Please would compete with Spelunky or Guacamelee since they are different genres. Watching a video of a playthrough on youtube, I don't mean to be rude, but...is there more to the game than investigating and stamping the passports? :S

Being polite.

Grief.exe

I rather want Ducktales despite some people not liking the graphics. However, a couple of dollars off as a preorder incentive WOULD be nice.

Play the demo see the buzz for yourself

http://dukope.com/

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

It's a puzzle game based on looking for tells, so most likely not. The dev has said that the beta (which is what you're seeing online) was more of just a proof of concept, with the main game having more to it.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Anyone use a wireless 360 controller in one room while their PC is in another? I'm getting a 120hz tv tomorrow and would like to hook my computer up to it, but my desk is in the bedroom. I would only be one room away.

mrgone

It's a puzzle game based on looking for tells, so most likely not. The dev has said that the beta (which is what you're seeing online) was more of just a proof of concept, with the main game having more to it.

I hope the full game more accurately depicts the patriotic benefit of being ruthlessly xenophobic. I really didn't appreciate being second-guessed by "superiors" in the beta for being entirely practical and turning away every foreigner that had even a whiff of criminal intent (as foreigners they all smelled terriible, of course).

denx

Hvae you tried the Papers Please beta/demo? It's free and it will take you about 20 minutes to complete. Try it and see wether or not it is your thing. I found it surprinsigly compelling.

With the news that Left 4 Dead 3 is being worked on, what do you think Valve will call the fourth game in the series?

Some ideas:
- Left 4 Dead: The Fourth
- 4 Left 4 Dead
- Left 4 Hats
- Half-Life 3

JaseC

Oh wow. I didn't get to take a shot of it, but on my tour I saw a bunch of photos of Big Picture Mode used as a media player. There was an album view and some basic player options for video. Probably wouldn't be too useful on my main rig but would be pretty hot on an htpc.

I wonder if there's an option to broadcast that info to your friends list in a similar manner to how your status changes when in-game.

Exuro

Oh wow. I didn't get to take a shot of it, but on my tour I saw a bunch of photos of Big Picture Mode used as a media player. There was an album view and some basic player options for video. Probably wouldn't be too useful on my main rig but would be pretty hot on an htpc.
So I guess the Spotify integration will be bundled with this update.

Dice

I'm probably not going to get Ducktales at first because it's $15 for like 6 levels. It really is just a remastered version of the original. Salsa is right that Shovel Knight will probably be better, though that doesn't come out till winter so for right now Rogue Legacy would probably be a more interesting alternative for that money.

JaseC

I'm probably not going to get Ducktales at first because it's $15 for like 6 levels. It really is just a remastered version of the original. Salsa is right that Shovel Knight will probably be better, though that doesn't come out till winter so for right now Rogue Legacy would probably be a more interesting alternative for that money.

The game is short? How disappointing.

You know what needs to be "remastered" next? The MegaDrive version of TailSpin.

Blizzard

Banned
That's actually good to know, thanks. I never played the original and didn't realize it was so short. I'll keep it on the wishlist for now and grab the other upcoming stuff. :p

Grief.exe

I just had a realization a few minutes ago.

There are children growing up during this generation. They never experienced any other games besides the ones produced in the last 7-8 years.

iIltVzfmezPNI.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom