• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
OT : I've been wondering about this for a while now but what does the circled S means next to a person on TF2Outpost ?

That means the user is a donator.
IIRC there are green, orange and blue levels for donators, which give you some benefits like autobumping trades and higher limit for amount of trades.
Apparently donation is closed now, which is why we don't see any info about it.

Gintoki

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this Steam thread and fewer than five posts in the immediate previous Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

La Mulana -- MB-DD7B3BA298647218 - Taken by Raytow

I got a new PC recently, and I'm getting super deep into Steam; figured this is the place I'll spend most of my time so I thought I should introduce myself.

No better way to introduce oneself, than to copy what everybody else is doing..

Steam Key for Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed.

So on that note, hello and good luck.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this Steam thread and fewer than five posts in the immediate previous Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Sonic All Stars -- MB-B14FFCEA57AF24A6 - Taken by Terra_Ex

I got a new PC recently, and I'm getting super deep into Steam; figured this is the place I'll spend most of my time so I thought I should introduce myself.

Thanks for the giveaway! Was going to try for a 4 pack but my paypal is in the negative :(

oipic

Silly me, I've been looking at my Steam download speeds sitting at ~250KB/s for the past couple of hours, wondering what the heck is wrong... and only just noticed I had, for some reason, previously throttled downloads to 256KB/s. I could've been, like, PLAYING something new had I noticed that sooner. (still, it's a nice feature)

Hi folks, I'm new around here. Been a lurker for quite a while but after seeing how great the community in here is (not to mention the sheer generosity throughout the sale which appears to be continuing) I figured I'd finally get around to registering and join in the fun.

Hey scokem - welcome to SteamGAF. :)

Is it just me, or is the Dunder Store more slower the more users open it? The comments seem to load forever

Rumour has it that the Google Docs community will soon rebel against Dunder's dominant presence, and force him out.

Yep, that's some entrance, StWilson - welcome. :)

I bought a copy of this today (thanks again, Beast), but by all accounts, it belongs in everyone's Steam library - so it'll find a happy home, I'm sure.

Fireblend

Banned

Welcome to the light, brother. Soon enough you'll see you whole life's been a mistake, and let the great sales wash you away.
And great giveaway!

Kabouter

What a way to introduce yourself! I'm going to enter as well, though I don't think I actually will be eligible. Just got a new PC myself, and have been too busy playing games instead of actually posting in Steam threads :p.

Slyjss

Silly me, I've been looking at my Steam download speeds sitting at ~250KB/s for the past couple of hours, wondering what the heck is wrong... and only just noticed I had, for some reason, previously throttled downloads to 256KB/s. I could've been, like, PLAYING something new had I noticed that sooner. (still, it's a nice feature)

You're lucky to live in a place where 250 Kb/s is slow. That is the average speed where I live.

Dolor

Oh what I wouldn't give for a Steam handheld with Nintendo and Atlus games :/

Has there been any more news about the potential for Steam mobile hardware? "Littlefoot" is what I think it was codenamed.

I think a cheap Linux x86 tablet that runs Steam would be really nice option for me. It doesn't have to run all AAA games, but if it could run indie games and light strategy games (e.g. Civ or X-Com), I'd be sold for one.

scokem

Neo Member
Thanks for the welcome folks and the quick invite to the steam group. Here's the first of my giveaways (hope I've done it right). Good luck.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Aquaria -- MB-91F9422ED9A8C22C - Taken by PandaPedinte
Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed -- MB-A36CE8A981246D0C - Taken by Kandrick
Crayon Physics Deluxe -- MB-8D4AFEA1097A5586 - Taken by statham
Anomaly Warzone Earth -- MB-B8EFDEAAEB23DE46 - Taken by sprinkles
NightSky -- MB-B19A52A866110A7A - Taken by Nymphae

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
it really boils down to having enough patience and play carefully, the difficulty mainly comes from traps and carelessly falling off the maps, etc, it's not comparable to action games because the combat is a lot slower. Unless you messed up your character stats or playing as lvl1, it's not too bad. You will die here and there but the bonfire system is pretty forgiving for the most part, but I guess compared to some modern games, that's enough to turn some people off who "has no time to replay a section if he dies".
Or who don't want to deal with enemies that take half your life bar with a single hit. Or going the wrong way and being obliterated by a skeleton/knight. Or having a
dragon attack you from out of nowhere, killing you with a single fire breath.

I don't know, of course I suck at it, but it was too frustrating.

oipic

You're lucky to live in a place where 250 Kb/s is slow. That is the average speed where I live.

It wasn't so long ago that I felt your pain (certain parts of Australia had quite a wait for decent broadband deployments), and even in relative terms, the 1.5MB/s or so that I now typically see for Steam downloads is probably very slow compared to many others here!

Where are you based, Slyjss?

kafiend

Or who don't want to deal with enemies that take half your life bar with a single hit. Or going the wrong way and being obliterated by a skeleton/knight. Or having a

Point 1. I agree for any game. Nothing more annoying than being quickly pwned and then have to go running back thinking "what went wrong"? only for it to happen again :/

Point 2. Haven't played much of the game because according to my time spent in Demon Souls I really do need to be in the right mood. But the harder enemies don't have signs like glowing eyes?

Point 3 just sounds like fun times :)

Slyjss

It wasn't so long ago that I felt your pain (certain parts of Australia had quite a wait for decent broadband deployments), and even in relative terms, the 1.5MB/s or so that I now typically see for Steam downloads is probably very slow compared to many others here!

Where are you based, Slyjss?

In a town in Spain. In some cities you can get 1 Mb/s, but in the majority of places the infrastructures haven't been updated in ages. Basically there's an ISP, Telefonica, which is almost a monopoly and doesn't even care about the service, and the only few who provide a better service don't have the resources to reach everyone. I am lucky, though, as the connection is not fast but it's reliable. In some rural towns getting a 24/7 connection is a miracle.

Nillansan

Wonderful. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that you and the folks that you are gifting Hammerwatch to, need to sign into their Humble account in order to 'claim' the link. Just click your respective links and once you are on the Humble Hammerwatch page, just sign in to claim it.

wilflare

i fell asleep after a long day. lol. what did i miss.
for a moment I thought Dunder gave JaseC Divinity xD

on my MBP now, my PC is taken apart.. was blowing out the chalks of dust zzz

Acccent

I don't know, of course I suck at it, but it was too frustrating.

The
dragon attack
is the only time so far where I was killed 'unfairly'. Usually, even if you take the wrong path and do end up facing huge enemies that you're clearly not meant to fight right now, you can still block or dodge their attacks and they don't kill you in one hit - you get a chance to escape. And even if you don't, and you die, you can go back to reclaim the souls you lost. The game knows it's 'severe' but it always gives you ways to succeed :)

Of course it does require a lot of patience and persistence, it's not for everyone - not liking the game or finding it too frustrating isn't a sign of weakness or anything, I can't survive for 10 seconds in Ninja Gaiden's harder modes for example - but it does what it intends to do perfectly imo.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Point 1. I agree for any game. Nothing more annoying than being quickly pwned and then have to go running back thinking "what went wrong"? only for it to happen again :/

Point 2. Haven't played much of the game because according to my time spent in Demon Souls I really do need to be in the right mood. But the harder enemies don't have signs like glowing eyes?

Point 3 just sounds like fun times :)
No idea if there are tell-tale signs about what the enemies are going to do next. I played 4 hours, spent 80% of that time running to my corpse, and decided the game wasn't for me. I'd still like to try it again, but I don't believe I'll enjoy it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Dishonored is currently downloading a 915MB patch at my end. I assume it's the Brigmore Witches DLC assets.

Slyjss

Revenge of the Titans cards haven't even been officially announced and they're already at 0.14 € (and dropping). This must be a new record.

Speaking of coupons, I have two -50 % for Garry's Mod and a -50% for Euro Truck Simulator 2. If anyone wants them, PM me.

Nillansan

PAYDAY 2 release date has been confirmed.

3WOcRfg.png

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Revenge of the Titans cards haven't even been officially announced and they're already at 0.14 € (and dropping). This must be a new record.

Speaking of coupons, I have two -50 % for Garry's Mod and a -50% for Euro Truck Simulator 2. If anyone wants them, PM me.

The problem is people start undercutting as soon as they get the cards, forgetting that the people who want to buy the cards will a) be in the game themselves trying to get them and b) waiting for prices to drop anyway. So the prices get driven down because people want to sell before the prices drop too low, and it becomes this vicious cycle that leads to cards being worth very little. Then when everyone's drops are used up people can swoop in, grab the few cards they want at a low price, and everyone complains that the market has crashed.

PriitV

After winning Chivalry and Infinite, I figured I should give atleast something back again, it's not much but best I can do right now.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

LA Noire -- MB-E59A19E4F96D1B5E - Taken by Ledsen
GTA: Vice City -- MB-E74CAF16B9E65FCB - Taken by greendomo's ghost

The_Monk

Very kind of you fellow GAFfer PriitV .

Part of me is really curious for the Halloween Sale. Halloween is not a common celebration in here but it's been getting more fame. However, what I like regarding the sale is that they do some decent Point & Click sales in it!

Grief.exe

What a way to introduce yourself! I'm going to enter as well, though I don't think I actually will be eligible. Just got a new PC myself, and have been too busy playing games instead of actually posting in Steam threads :p.

Welcome! Always great to have new regulars!

Very kind of you fellow GAFfer PriitV .

Part of me is really curious for the Halloween Sale. Halloween is not a common celebration in here but it's been getting more fame. However, what I like regarding the sale is that they do some decent Point & Click sales in it!

We know you like the point and click games for that cold winter season.

Will be excellent timing.

Slyjss

The problem is people start undercutting as soon as they get the cards, forgetting that the people who want to buy the cards will a) be in the game themselves trying to get them and b) waiting for prices to drop anyway. So the prices get driven down because people want to sell before the prices drop too low, and it becomes this vicious cycle that leads to cards being worth very little. Then when everyone's drops are used up people can swoop in, grab the few cards they want at a low price, and everyone complains that the market has crashed.

If this trends continues, nobody will be able to make real money with cards, although the price is ideal to complete collections. I recently crafted Saints Row 3, System Shock 2 and Indie Game: The Movie badges by selling very few cards. Well, I guess I'll never sell a card for 3 € again.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
If this trends continues, nobody will be able to make real money with cards, although the price is ideal to complete collections. I recently crafted Saints Row 3, System Shock 2 and Indie Game: The Movie badges by selling very few cards. Well, I guess I'll never sell a card for 3 € again.

True, but that just suggests that the true "value" of a card is something like 7-10p, there's no reason that people should be able to make money from the cards after all. It's supply and demand, and there's lots of supply where people have made no initial investment.

Edit: actually, the price of the game is the initial investment I suppose, but seeing as the cards are being given freely on top of that I don't really think that counts. People certainly shouldn't be buying games just to sell the cards.

Nymphae

Banned
Did they stop giving you cards for every $10 spent? I thought this was still happening after the sale? I bought almost $40 worth of games this weekend didn't any cards for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom