• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is good, who knew I had an excellent metroidvania in my backlog all along D:. It uses GFWL though but that's not a big deal and it's understandable since the game was ported back when the 360 had a lot of indies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Damn Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is good, who knew I had an excellent metroidvania in my backlog all along D:. It uses GFWL though but that's not a big deal and it's understandable since the game was ported back when the 360 had a lot of indies.

It's not a big deal until your saves are considered corrupt. :p

Miker

RE Revelations worth the price?

Quoting myself:

A lot of fun if you enjoy RE4/5 style combat. The campaign has a strong start and gets duller as it goes along, but raid mode is straight up amazing.

Quoting Neiteio from ages ago:

Lemme break down Raid Mode for you. It's a separate mode, and you can play in single-player or co-op, offline or online.

You start at lv. 1. You level up to lv. 50. Your enemies range from lv. 1 to lv. 50, as well. And in Raid, there are other twists like tiny versions of enemies that are super-fast (hilariously terrifying, in the case of the chainsaw monster), or supersized versions of enemies that are slow but tremendously strong and resilient.

Where the weapons are concerned... You have a variety of handguns, shotguns, machine guns, magnums and rifles. Each has a level -- the higher the level, the stronger the weapon, but you must match or exceed the level in order to equip. Weapons also have a randomized number of slots -- I think the max is like eight or 10. Each slot can house a "part," with the best parts being the "illegal custom parts" squirreled away in optional corners of the levels.

Parts can increase firing speed, hitting power, accuracy, ammo capacity, penetration (for striking multiple foes in one shot), and so on. There are even ones that increase your shots in power the closer/farther you are to an enemy, or that scale in power based on other factors. Some even increase or decrease the target's aggression once shot.

Naturally, the more slots your weapon has, the more ways you can power it up. This makes the pursuit of high-level, high-slot loot in the game VERY addictive, and adds to your incentive to level up, and complete levels on higher difficulties. You also unlock characters as you level up, which you can view in great detail in Raid's model viewer.

There are also other weapons, like decoy bombs that lure away enemies before exploding, and underwater bombs you can use, well, underwater. (And swimming controls are superior here to what they were in RE6, and I say that as someone who otherwise loved the mechanics in that game.)

And remember, there's NO TIME LIMIT in Raid. Unlike Mercs, you don't have the clock breathing down your back. Don't get me wrong, I -love- Mercs, but Raid is definitely a nice change of pace. There are 20 levels, all expansive missions lifted from the game, each with three difficulty levels. There are at least 12 characters now.

And Ghost Ship, the secret 21st level, is INCREDIBLE. It spans the ENTIRE ship, with multiple false exits and multiple paths to the true ending. With the heart-thumping music, and the HUGE challenge, it's a freaking adventure in itself. A Ghost Ship run can take a solid hour. No saving, no starting over, just BRACE YOURSELF.

L.O.R.D

Quoting myself:

And Ghost Ship, the secret 21st level, is INCREDIBLE. It spans the ENTIRE ship, with multiple false exits and multiple paths to the true ending. With the heart-thumping music, and the HUGE challenge, it's a freaking adventure in itself. A Ghost Ship run can take a solid hour. No saving, no starting over, just BRACE YOURSELF.

in the 3DS version, you could stop the exit the level from breaking the clock in the hall when you reach it or save it for later , but you can't return to this spot, you start from the beginning
i used this method to level up faster
they removed it in the HD edition

Mattiator

Hello all, bought a new pc last Saturday, ( I5 3750 k, 660 OC) I've been reading this forum everyday for he last couple years, can't post a lot because a lot of my reading is done from work (won't allow me to login). Seems like it's a real good community and I look forward to participating more regularly now that I can actually play everything! Soon enough ill be able to contribute more also :).

I enjoyed it very much on PC.

It's not a big deal until your saves are considered corrupt. :p

Gamesave Manager is a lifesaver.

Skulls of the Shogun is pretty good. I usually play 1-2 missions at a time and I also approach it more like a puzzle game than a strategy game.

Wok

I'm curious at which point in Anor Londo you're at, to give that opinion ;)

I didn't have any difficulty with the game at all, until a certain point in Anor Londo...

I am in Anor Londo. Could you be more precise? Is it
the boss or the archers
?

JaseC

Medal of Honor 2010 and Medal of Honor warfighter both on sale over at gamersgate, £5/£8. Either of these even remotely worth going near?

Medal of Honor 2010 is practically indistinguishable from a modern Call of Duty title, at least as far as the SP campaign is concerned. I can't imagine that a sequel titled "Warfighter" fares any better.

mrgone

I feel much happier knowing this. Rather spend my money for full priced expansion of EU and wait for the bureau to get discounted :D.

Nice! Probably means at least a few of the long-standing issues will get squashed, too. I'd kind of figured they were done with it, with work on the sequel being announced. Good time to be an XCOM fan :)

Medal of Honor 2010 and Medal of Honor warfighter both on sale over at gamersgate, £5/£8. Either of these even remotely worth going near?

MoH 2010 isn't a bad game. It's *very* short, and horrifically blatant in it's attempts to ape Call of Duty (especially in the Tier 1 Spec Ops Supah Killah segments), but there's some nice "average grunt on the ground" stuff that was kind of neat. I also thought they did a pretty good job of emulating the desert environment moreso than most shooters.

So yeah, if you want a very CoD-esque single player experience that lasts 5-6 hours, you can do far worse than MoH at that price. Can't speak to Warfighter; didn't pick it up.

Just saw the announcement on the new games added on the Deep Silver Bundle. Seeing that i have Metro 2033, and i'm not interested in the other games, maybe someone here will. Have Fun :D
ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this Steam thread and fewer than five posts in the immediate previous Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Metro 2033, Risen, and Sacred Citadel -- MB-332C995CABD3A2CD - Taken by Nymphae

Flayer

Can't believe how much fun I'm having with Sonic Racing. Get get get. Not the type of game I usually like at all either.

Is anyone else unable to purchase a game? I purchased Krater 10 minutes ago and went to buy RE: Revelations just now but I keep getting an error message:

"Your purchase has not been completed. Your credit card information has been declined by your credit card company.

Note that in some cases, your credit card company may put a 'hold' on funds in your account, but you will not be charged. After correcting any errors in the information displayed below, please try your purchase again."

Any ideas what's causing this?

well guys, I just found these spare keys. I know most of you already have them, but well I hope some can enjoy them

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this Steam thread and fewer than five posts in the immediate previous Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Tiny and Big in Grandpa's Leftovers -- MB-F1F65C4460C34C85 - Taken by Pestilence11
Oil Rush -- MB-83F534D578EA70D5 - Taken by fantomena

JaseC

Is anyone else unable to purchase a game? I purchased Krater 10 minutes ago and went to buy RE: Revelations just now but I keep getting an error message:

"Your purchase has not been completed. Your credit card information has been declined by your credit card company.

Note that in some cases, your credit card company may put a 'hold' on funds in your account, but you will not be charged. After correcting any errors in the information displayed below, please try your purchase again."

Any ideas what's causing this?

That can happen due to server errors, so try again in a little while if you're absolutely sure that your card details are correct and your bank hasn't frozen the account.

Nymphae

Banned
Just saw the announcement on the new games added on the Deep Silver Bundle. Seeing that i have Metro 2033, and i'm not interested in the other games, maybe someone here will. Have Fun :D

Thank you good sir! I've been very interested in Metro 2033, can't wait to try it out.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Medal of Honor 2010 is practically indistinguishable from a modern Call of Duty title, at least as far as the SP campaign is concerned. I can't imagine that a sequel titled "Warfighter" fares any better.

I actually disagree with this to a big extent. To me it felt a lot more 'grounded'. There was a quietness to some of the levels I really enjoyed and it was this vibe they should have continued on with in Warfighter. I'm not claiming realistic or anything and of course you shoot loads of fools but the sniper levels/Seal Team levels were of a style I really liked. That describes Warfighter a lot better IMO what you said. I really quite like MoH 2010 and would recommend it but Warfighter is a bit naff. By no means the worst FPS I've played or anything but you can just tell it was fucked with by EA, I really wish they had continued in the style of MoH 2010.

RE:R, Spelunky, Papers Please, and Payday 2 all in 1 week?

Wallet am cry.

Might have to hold off on Spelunky till it gets its Humble Store release for both Steam and DRM free versions.

Has there been any further announcement of when it's supposed to hit the Humble Store? It was announced as shortly after but I haven't seen anything else.

JaseC

I actually disagree with this to a big extent. To me it felt a lot more 'grounded'. There was a quietness to some of the levels I really enjoyed and it was this vibe they should have continued on with in Warfighter. I'm not claiming realistic or anything and of course you shoot loads of fools but the sniper levels/Seal Team levels were of a style I really liked. That describes Warfighter a lot better IMO what you said. I really quite like MoH 2010 and would recommend it but Warfighter is a bit naff. By no means the worst FPS I've played or anything but you can just tell it was fucked with by EA, I really wish they had continued in the style of MoH 2010.

How is Airborne? Although I suspect it doesn't comparable favourably to yesteryear's Allied Assault, the WW2 setting would be a refreshing change of pace if I find myself in want of an FPS to smash through over an uneventful weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom