• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nillansan

Calling that tweet disgusting requires almost exactly the same amount of hyperbole as that person using the word "abusive."

interesting word choice.

I apologise for the poor word choice. I agree, I went overboard with that one.

Since going up, the game has featured this icon:
HHdqyWr.png

They only said they wouldn't be honoring it via Twitter, yet they didn't remove the icon from the page.

The guy had a legit grievance, as the game was marketed -- either maliciously so or negligently so -- as providing a Steam key in the future.

Right, I understand now, I can't believe that I missed such a crucial detail despite following the Twitter conversations. Sorry. What a shitty way of getting back into the Steam thread.

liezryou

Since going up, the game has featured this icon:
HHdqyWr.png

They only said they wouldn't be honoring it via Twitter, yet they didn't remove the icon from the page.

The guy had a legit grievance, as the game was marketed -- either maliciously so or negligently so -- as providing a Steam key in the future.

Incorrect! They changed their decision, they said they WILL be giving out steam keys now. But i'm still not buying and downvoting it on steam greenlight because they attempted to punish customers forcing them to double dip.

https://twitter.com/nyumedia/status/365117804950732800

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Oh, only two games on the Dounjin Bundle have steam keys?

Maybe I should've looked the games up before buying the entire bundle....

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Incorrect! They changed their decision, they said they WILL be giving out steam keys now. But i'm still not buying and downvoting it on steam greenlight because they attempted to punish customers forcing them to double dip.

I know I just got through saying that it's hard to miss parts of the conversation... but reread the last few posts and see what is being responded to.

In short: the page, since going live on the internet, featured the "you'll get a Steam key" icon. On Twitter they said they weren't going to honor it. The page didn't change. Then they changed their mind about Steam keys.

dani_dc

I know I just got through saying that it's hard to miss parts of the conversation... but reread the last few posts and see what is being responded to.

In short: the page, since going live on the internet, featured the "you'll get a Steam key" icon. On Twitter they said they weren't going to honor it. The page didn't change. Then they changed their mind about Steam keys.
Actually, when I checked the page earlier Croixleur did not feature that icon, it featured a simular one without the "you'll get a Steam key" part.

Human Tanks, on another hand, always featured that icon, from the looks of it probably because they didn't actually expect it to be greenlight.

And they don't even acknowledge the deceitful move they did, that reply is kinda dicky.
Like they are doing us a favor, when they promised it from the start.

Edit: apparently they did not, not so sure about this shitstorm anymore, so I'll just leave it.
I wont buy anything from that bundle anyway, nothing interesting.

Nillansan

Oh, only two games on the Dounjin Bundle have steam keys?

Maybe I should've looked the games up before buying the entire bundle....

Ether Vapor and Cherry Tree High Comedy Club are the only games that are currently on Steam, if War of the Human Tanks and Croixleur are greenlit you will receive Steam keys for both games.

morningbus

Actually, when I checked the page earlier Croixleur did not feature that icon, it featured a simular one without the "you'll get a Steam key" part.

Human Tanks, on another hand, always featured that icon, from the looks of it probably because they didn't actually expect it to be greenlight.

Ah, I must of missed when they did that change, then. The turnaround did happen pretty quickly, though.

Acccent

I'm thinking about following a podcast from now on... would you guys recommend one in particular? One that doesn't necessarily talk only about PC games, but I can't create a thread and I feel most comfortable asking about this here :)

morningbus

Like, any podcast? if so:

This American Life
Judge John Hodgman
On Point with Tom Ashbrook

I'm thinking about following a podcast from now on... would you guys recommend one in particular? One that doesn't necessarily talk only about PC games, but I can't create a thread and I feel most comfortable asking about this here :)

8-4 Play
A Jumps B Shoots Podcast
Cape Crisis
Caustic Soda
Cheap Popcast
Laser Time
Retronauts
The Comic Conspiracy
The Death of Comics
Mysterious Universe

omg_mjd

Idle Thumbs

morningbus

I stand by my recommendations.

If you need a videogame related one, I'll throw in Retronauts.

Fireblend

Banned
8-4 Play
A Jumps B Shoots Podcast
Cape Crisis
Caustic Soda
Cheap Popcast
Laser Time
Retronauts
The Comic Conspiracy
The Death of Comics
Mysterious Universe

What's the difference between 8-4 Play and the Giant Bombcast?

Also, props for including Mysterious Universe. Damn fine podcast.

Totally agree, Plus member for years.

Also hppodcraft.com (HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast) is a fun one if you like Lovecraft...It's a tad short for my liking but the guys have a great chemistry and the production is great. Lots of eerie music and quality reading.

8-4 Play is hosted by the 8-4 localization team in Japan. So a bunch of their news relates to japanese/foreign culture, as well as major gaming topics.

Fonz72

Any videogame-related podcast.

Weekend Confirmed is my favorite, Garnett/Canatta are a great combo.
Final Score show is really good too, Scott Johnson is a great personality.
Back in my play. This show is still pretty new, but so far so good. I heard about it here on GAF!
Retronauts is epic too! They focus on old stuff, but man it's good.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Shouldn't I get some sort of message when a game I upvoted on Greenlight gets greenlit? I just noticed Deadly Premonition got approved but I had no idea. Kind of backwards that after I vote I have to go out of my way to keep checking to know the result. Does the system at least tell you when the game gets released on the store?

Does the system at least tell you when the game gets released on the store?
Um, no, but it's not that hard to keep track of what gets greenlit. They announce a couple of games every 2 weeks or so.

But you can join the official greenlight group and every time they make an announcement you will get a notification.

Turfster

I was fumbling around for a minute to try to figure out if it was just an Attract Screen demo.

ZXCVA and arrow keys, fyi.

Yeah, I figured that out after some trial and error.
Esc doesn't quit menus, it just quits the game.
The problems go deeper than that though.
In-game, the shooting and moving is really jerky and you need to keep hitting the keys, making it pretty much impossible to play.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Um, no, but it's not that hard to keep track of what gets greenlit. They announce a couple of games every 2 weeks or so.

But you can join the official greenlight group and every time they make an announcement you will get a notification.
I was thinking of something like when you get a specific notification when a game you wishlisted goes on sale or when you sell an item on the market, instead of having to know about everything that got greenlit through the group. Since there's not much that gets greenlit in the first place I guess it's not a big deal.

morningbus

I was thinking of something like when you get a specific notification when a game you wishlisted goes on sale or when you sell an item on the market, instead of having to know about everything that got greenlit through the group. Since there's not much that gets greenlit in the first place I guess it's not a big deal.

I believe they do a pop-up message when you first start Steam when a Greenlight game goes up for sale.

HoosTrax

It's hardly a game wtih mass appeal, La-Mulana is a difficult and obtuse game.
It has to be one of the clunkiest-feeling platformers I've ever played, in terms of character movement. It might even surpass Shank 1 in that regard.

I've come to expect a certain level of elegant handling in games like this, whether it's Castlevania, Cave Story, Dust, or any other 2D platformer, and this game just feel completely devoid of it in comparison.

KarmaCow

Yea I'm an idiot and bought CTHCC in the hopes of making some card money while also getting a game but it's already falling apart.

sprinkles

I have sold my five Cherry Tree High cards for ~8€ total over the last few days, and can now craft a full badge for the price of one card before the bundle. I like Steam economics.

Addnan

That is quite cheap (it's $20 on Steam AU), but I'll be chasing an RU copy which I assume is cheaper still. :p
I actually don't think it is. 300 russia money is over £5

Unless you are not getting the upgrade and the full thing is cheaper

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I actually don't think it is. 300 russia money is over £5

Unless you are not getting the upgrade buy the full thing is cheaper

Ah, yeah, I don't have the game at all -- no beta and no regular edition pre-purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom