• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deques

oh i understand the point of getting the steam version, but is it possible to have those things function with Steam, but have it work like the GOG version without steam running?

Unless you know some hacking I don't think you can run a Steam version without having Steam running.

If the humble store offers a DRM-free version and a Steam key then you can have both

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
oh i understand the point of getting the steam version, but is it possible to have those things function with Steam, but have it work like the GOG version without steam running?

Yes:

The only logical explanation is that some don't realise CEG is optional. To my knowledge there are just three Steamworks games that are DRM-free on Steam: Divinity: Dragon Commander, Scribblenauts Unlimited and Super Meat Boy.

Edit: Err, I may have misunderstood your post. Steamworks features won't work without the client present - that much should be obvious. But supporting Steamworks features doesn't preclude your game being DRM-free.

JakeD

Yes:

Edit: Err, I misread your post (maybe?). Steamworks features won't work without the client present - that much should be obvious. But supporting Steamworks features doesn't preclude your game being DRM-free.

hah i dont think you did, i mean have your game use all steam functions if you launch the game through steam, while at the same time have an independent launcher that is DRM free (like humble or GOG version)

it would be the best of both worlds (obviously because humble provides steam keys, it already is the best of both worlds.....but...steam sales...)

i can only think it's either not knowing steamworks is optional, like you said.. or maybe a subtle nudge to try to push buyers towards the humble store

Deques

hah i dont think you did, i mean have your game use all steam functions if you launch the game through steam, while at the same time have an independent launcher that is DRM free (like humble or GOG version)

it would be the best of both worlds (obviously because humble provides steam keys, it already is the best of both worlds.....but...steam sales...)

Steam doesn't provide DRM-free versions of the games at all. So you won't get cheap DRM-free games from Steam. Luckily the last sale, several games that have a Humble store option price-matched the sale prices.

metalshade

Well after months of back and forth, I finally spent £22.69 on Star Trek Voyager Elite Force 1&2+Expansion.
Shame I had to buy it on disks through ebay as it is not available on any DD service.
It really does surprise me just how many classics just aren't available, at all, you would think that between them, Steam and GoG would have almost everything covered.
So often I remember a gem of a game from my childhood, I run to Steam to check for it.....nope.....I regretfully check GoG....also nope.
So many people are missing out on great experiences....do something about it Garry!

JaseC

i can only think it's either not knowing steamworks is optional, like you said.. or maybe a subtle nudge to try to push buyers towards the humble store

In the case of CDPR's own games, at least, tethering the Witcher titles to the Steam client is understandable from a business perspective as GOG's selection being DRM-free is one of the cornerstones of the service, so there's a conflict of interest there.

JakeD

In the case of CDPR's own games, at least, tethering the Witcher titles to the Steam client is understandable from a business perspective as GOG's selection being DRM-free is one of the cornerstones of the service, so there's a conflict of interest there.

CDPR actually gives you the Witchers on GOG for free if bought them on steam, so interestingly enough steam is the best place to buy them.

and to go along with this theme, the makers of Inquisitor gave me a free steam key after i proved to them i bought it on GOG awhile back. thanks xelios for letting me know

Deques

CDPR actually gives you the Witchers on GOG for free if bought them on steam, so interestingly enough steam is the best place to buy them.

and to go along with this theme, the makers of Inquisitor gave me a free steam key after i proved to them i bought it on GOG awhile back. thanks xelios for letting me know

Witcher is only exception since CDPR owns GOG.com. And they advocates DRM-free games

On a side note, Spelunky is now available in GOG

JaseC

Yeah, but that would be largely unnecessary if the games were DRM-free on Steam; the only incentive would be the bonus miscellaneous items (PDF maps, soundtracks and whatnot).

Witcher is only exception since CDPR owns GOG.com. And they advocates DRM-free games

On a side note, Spelunky is now available in GOG

$15 - 10%, as expected.

5413541o4jtt.gif

sogood

This looks fucking terrible

Nillansan

The non-deluxe edition of Splinter Cell Blacklist has disappeared from the store page.

Hopefully it is just a bug that will get fixed soon.

Card Boy

Banned
Summer of the Arcade is a piece of shit, anyone that doesn't have a 360 gets screwed over and this is coming from some with a 360. I don't want inferior Xbox games that wont carry to next gen and want them on Steam.

I really want Flashback and Brothers.

Kabouter

But it's only natural that it dwindles when in the face of three months of nothingness. :p

Such a shame though, I replayed it earlier this year (have it on disc), and it's such a great game. I would probably consider it the best 'traditional' RTS, better even than Age of Empires II. I love the Conquer the World campaigns in particular, they're really great, and quite varied.

JaseC

Such a shame though, I replayed it earlier this year (have it on disc), and it's such a great game. I would probably consider it the best 'traditional' RTS, better even than Age of Empires II. I love the Conquer the World campaigns in particular, they're really great, and quite varied.

I haven't played the game in yonks but I do recall thoroughly enjoying it. I'd love to see a Steam release, though I'd have to say that highest on the list of Microsoft-related Steam things I'd like to see happen, however, is a HD remaster of the original Age of Empires and the Rise of Rome expansion.

Still have hope, even if it takes years. :)

Oh, sure: I was merely suggesting to keep expectations in check. Evidently the desire is there, at some level, to release the game. (Release Tintin and King Kong, already, Ubi.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom