• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
5413541o4jtt.gif

sogood

Why is she slowly sliding forward for no reason?

FloatOn

since I've committed to Ys this month, I'm not going to play any of these hot new games anytime soon. However, I know day one sales are important.

So what dev would benefit most from a purchase: derek yu, drinkbox, or 3909?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Derek Yu never got back to me about Aquaria receiving cards so you can cross him off. :p

Edit: I'd say Papers, Please. Yu has Aquaria and the XBLA version of Spelunky HD under his belt while Guacamelee has been on PSN since the end of May.

Edit edit: Oh, and of course Drinkbox also has the two Tales from Space games.

HoosTrax

since I've committed to Ys this month, I'm not going to play any of these hot new games anytime soon. However, I know day one sales are important.

So what dev would benefit most from a purchase: derek yu, drinkbox, or 3909?
Wow that's a tough one...You could make the case for any of them.

- Reward Drinkbox for simultaneous PC and console releases
- Throw Derek a bone since Spelunky sort of flopped on XBLA, plus he's adding a new challenge mode to the PC version
- Promote more games that break out of the mold and are thought-provoking by buying Papers, Please

Fireblend

Banned
Can't wait for Spelunky today :D a shame I have to pass on the Guacamelee offer (and Papers, Please) , but my wallet's already complaining from last and this month's spending so far :p

fantomena

I have Mutant Blobs in my Vita. It's so damn awesome. I got it for free through PS Plus and I was actually suprised about how good it actually was. It made me buy Guacamelee on my Vita, and today Im buying it on Steam. :)

I will give Mutant Blobs about 8/10. Only con is that it's a bit short, but that's it. Hoping for a sequel.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I have Mutant Blobs in my Vita. It's so damn awesome. I got it for free through PS Plus and I was actually suprised about how good it actually was. It made me buy Guacamelee on my Vita, and today Im buying it on Steam. :)

I will give Mutant Blobs about 8/10. Only con is that it's a bit short, but that's it. Hoping for a sequel.

I thought your review scale just goes from 8-10 since you gave Alien: Colonial Marines an 8? So I guess that makes Mutant Blobs a massive turd.

Addnan

People on TF2outpost are saying Resident Evil Revelation with RU/CIS tags can be activated/played from outside. Anyone confirm? Can you run into problem in the future?

Gbraga

I don't get it. So RE6 is now considered good?

If we're talking about a TPS, specially mechanics-wise, then it has always been, it probably has the deepest combat mechanics in any TPS ever, Vanquish included (even though it's more polished and better, really). Mercenaries is truly amazing (where the mechanics shine the most), but the campaign is pretty ass, it lacks focus and it shows a lot, there are some good moments, but it's mostly bad, I liked most of Leon's campaign and one or two Chris chapters, the rest was meh, aside from one or two Jake boss battles.

If you like Mercenaries, you'll have a blast. If you just want to beat the campaign and move on to the next game then it's shit (I still enjoyed my time with the campaign, but mostly because I was finding out new combat stuff, after I started playing Mercs, the campaign became a pain in the ass).

I think RE5 is the better game overall, but RE6's mechanics are godlike. I really want a RE: Mercenaries retail game with tons of maps and characters and using RE6's mechanics.

Why is she slowly sliding forward for no reason?

Because the player is pressing forward while laying down.

You can duck, roll, slide, roll on the ground, move on the ground, melee and so on. There is a lot of depth because of all the movement options, so if you have a hand grenade you can slide with it equipped and your character will plant it on the ground instantly. You can also put your enemy into a stun state and then hit him with your second melee hit, slide into him or something like that to put him on a spin state allowing you to hit a coup-de-grâce (also possible to set up a coup with a flash grenade), you can parry attacks as well, quick shot by swapping weapons/changing shoulders, and I'm sure I forgot a lot of stuff. The enemy reaction is pretty damn good when it comes to gameplay variety (the animations of said reactions are better in 5).

EDIT: Yeah, I forgot a lot of stuff, quick shots for example and their chains depending on your weapon. The Hydra quick shot combo is beautiful.

creamsugar

I saw IGN said Guacamelee vita could be 100% in 8 hours, what about PC version?
and this will never go to humble bundle, right?

didamangi

People on TF2outpost are saying Resident Evil Revelation with RU/CIS tags can be activated/played from outside. Anyone confirm? Can you run into problem in the future?

Yup, I've activated and play it just fine. Problem in the future is always a concern with this kind of thing but my Hard Reset was a steam gift with a CIS tag on it, I can still run it today with no problem since release.

Deques

A small giveaway

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Lucid -- MB-0FFD174CE44FF26B - Taken by Kifimbo

Derek Yu never got back to me about Aquaria receiving cards so you can cross him off. :p

Edit: I'd say Papers, Please. Yu has Aquaria and the XBLA version of Spelunky HD under his belt while Guacamelee has been on PSN since the end of May.

Edit edit: Oh, and of course Drinkbox also has the two Tales from Space games.

I still want this "promised" sequel of Aquaria after the real ending. I know it wont ever happen, but I really really loved Aquaria.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Drinkbox hasn't had anything in a humble bundle game yet, but they're a Toronto studio and they're good friends with Capybara who have had games in humble bundles and their games are definitely good enough to make it into the Humble Indie Bundle, so I could see it happening at some point. But probably not at least for the next 6 months to a year or so. :)

Addnan

Yup, I've activated and play it just fine. Problem in the future is always a concern with this kind of thing but my Hard Reset was a steam gift with a CIS tag on it, I can still run it today with no problem since release.

Okay. 6 keys is not even that much really. Think I might buy it later.

Good games deserve real money. 8 hours for $15 is good amount. Don't wait for Humble!

Ledsen

Well, it's the same game.

Good review, but that (non-)point about the damsels is really dumb in my opinion.

I don't see why it's dumb, he's saying a game that does so many things right unnecessarily uses a tired sexist trope, which I agree with. It's not a big deal in any way, but still a fair point. I actually reacted the same way when I was watching some gameplay earlier ("well that's unnecessary but ok").

Fireblend

Banned
Good review, but that (non-)point about the damsels is really dumb in my opinion.

I can totally understand and agree with his point. I'll be switching the "damsel" to the dog, which I guess is an ok enough solution for me :p

Doesn't take a bit away from what is already a day 1 buy and what I'll be playing for the rest of the month. I think the reviewer made it pretty clear in his writeup that's what he thinks as well.

Ew, they actually had to point this out? What entitled, agenda-obsessed babies. Rescuing a girl and getting kiss makes this guy "uneasy," but he seemed to get a lot of enjoyment from the rest of game being about murdering animals and other humans or that you can rob stores or make human sacrifices. Yeah, that's a healthy mindset to have.

Grief.exe

Ew, they actually had to point this out? What entitled, agenda-obsessed babies. Rescuing a girl and getting kiss makes this guy "uneasy," but he seemed to get a lot of enjoyment from the rest of game being about murdering animals and other humans or that you can rob stores or make human sacrifices. Yeah, that's a healthy mindset to have.

The video game sexism agenda is getting out of control.

You can set the damsel to be a man or a dog if you feel 'uneasy.'

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I don't see why it's dumb, he's saying a game that does so many things right unnecessarily uses a tired sexist trope, which I agree with. It's not a big deal in any way, but still a fair point. I actually reacted the same way when I was watching some gameplay earlier ("well that's unnecessary but ok").

The game went out of its way to give you the option to change the damsels to men or dogs. It's clearly satire. Being offended by it to any real extent is just pure oversensitivity in my opinion.

Ledsen

The game went out of its way to give you the option to change the damsels to men or dogs. It's clearly satire. Being offended by it to any real extent is just pure oversensitivity in my opinion.

He never says he's offended by it, he just mentions it as the one thing he would change about the game. It's a sexist trope and I'm sure it's ok to feel something about it, he's not making it out to be a big deal.

Dolor

X: Rebirth just announced for November.

Rome 2 in September, new X in November. I'll be quite satiated until 2014 :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom