• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ubisoft's uplay DRM is down right despicable, when ever I want to play From Dust, I got to login, then update, download my cloud saves and then launch the game. Then after closing I have to upload my saves. Fun game but it is really annoying.

I've not encountered any frustrating issues with Uplay thus far. *touch wood* It does take its time to update, though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I see you have come over to the optimistic side with me.

I never said nor implied that the games wouldn't go on sale in the future. ;) What I did address, though, was your assumption that they weren't discounted during the Summer Sale because of issues over publishing rights.

fallout

I know there is nothing I can do, except comment about it here and wish that people were a little more thoughtful, less impulsive, and less driven by mob mentality.
Do you really think there are that many people willing to pay that much for cards? Everyone can't be a seller in a market.

Since no one took it before, here it is again sans any rules!

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Avadon: The Black Fortress -- MB-EEE674EB62C09086 - Taken by Deques

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Avadon: The Black Fortress was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I also added SHORTRAFFLE as a rule; this makes a 15 minute raffle. Might be useful for "fairer" giveaways if you're giving away a high value game during a high impact situation, like a Steam sale, and you think someone claiming it after 15 seconds is really too fast and unfair for other people who don't F5 all the time.

I also added SHORTRAFFLE as a rule; this makes a 15 minute raffle. Might be useful for "fairer" giveaways if you're giving away a high value game during a high impact situation, like a Steam sale, and you think someone claiming it after 15 seconds is really too fast and unfair for other people who don't F5 all the time.

Sounds awesome, thanks Stump.

antitrop

Turns out the Strike Suit bundle, even at like $4 or whatever, was a waste of money.

Played Strike Suit Zero for five minutes and uninstalled it.

Tenrius

You should feel proud, my friend. But most of all you should put that card out right now! Half the price, maximum.

Wait, I thought that was a snarky joke about undercutting. It's actually serious? Oh my. Listing a card at half a price, especially if it's from a relatively unpopular game, is a terrible idea. For example, I was selling Magical Diary cards today. I got all three drops and they all were initially going for $1.5 - $2 each and I actually sold two of the cards for that price. Third card would be sold for the same price, too, if not for some doofus who undercut me to 60¢. Then a bunch of other folks came in and in a blink of an eye the price went down to 30¢.

Nice addition Stump.

Fireblend

Banned
Ideally wouldn't it be better to add something like a minutes/hours commands to ModBot and just limit it at 24 hours? Something like:

Code:
RAFFLEMINUTES 15         #Hold the raffle for 15 minutes

or:

Code:
RAFFLEHOURS 8             #Hold the raffle for 8 hours

def sim

Let's try this raffle thing out.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both five or fewer posts in this Steam thread and five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Giana Sisters -- MB-09F35EBCA2AFD1ED - Taken by Chairmanchuck

antitrop

I played a little bit of Giana Sisters last night, just like 10 minutes, but I thought it was pretty neat. I'll play it later, definitely leaving that one installed.

DukeBobby

The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief is sitting on the front page, teasing me.

It's just a little out of my price range, at the moment.

Anyone else still can't launch Trials Evolution besides me? UbisoftLauncher stopped working here, no response after starting there... Steam forums are full of problems with the game and I'm regretting buy it since no "solution" is working, for fucks sake I just want to play the game...
The beta worked fine for me.

Prophane33

I played a little bit of Giana Sisters last night, just like 10 minutes, but I thought it was pretty neat. I'll play it later, definitely leaving that one installed.

Looks like a neat platformer. I would enter the raffle except I won something yesterday.

Do you really think there are that many people willing to pay that much for cards? Everyone can't be a seller in a market.

There has to be. Just look at the market graph where initially people bought summer cards for $3.00 a pop, it's just insane....but clearly these people exist.

Turns out the Strike Suit bundle, even at like $4 or whatever, was a waste of money.

Played Strike Suit Zero for five minutes and uninstalled it.

That's why I never listen to recommendations over here, one guy says this game is awesome and you buy it and then found out its a piece of a crap and people troll you just because they don't like what because they are a shill/Dev/troll.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Modbot might be clogged.

No clog, you just submitted while I was doing a live code edit and it paused generating new raffles while I was doing that.

Ideally wouldn't it be better to add something like a minutes/hours commands to ModBot and just limit it at 24 hours? Something like:

Code:
RAFFLEMINUTES 15         #Hold the raffle for 15 minutes

or:

Code:
RAFFLEHOURS 8             #Hold the raffle for 8 hours

I'm not against this, but in general I favour less freeform flexibility in order to protect users. What do people think the major use-cases for raffles are? Clearly there needs to be a short option to make something basically not a raffle but to prevent sniping; clearly there needs to be a slightly longer option but no one wants some shitheel bumping their own giveaway 20 times to draw attention to themselves, so much longer than 24 hours and we run afoul of that. But is there value in granularity of 7 hours versus 8 hours versus 9 hours? Would those actually constitute separate outcomes in terms of what people are looking to do?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Respect!

ETS3 needs co-op - we can share the long-haul driving, then you can park the bloody thing.

#cannotpark
To be honest, it took me less time to park the truck than my dad's car when I started driving in real life. I haven't driven in over 2 years, so I don't know if the practice with this game will help me or not, but I hope it does.

I have to admit though, sometimes the trailer seems to have a mind of its own. And yes, a co-op mode would be great!

derExperte

It feels kind of bad to see people trashing ittle Dew in the Community Hub.

$13 may be way too much for it, though.

At least it's 9,99€ instead of a 1:1 conversion. But they could have handled the release better. No initial discount, no gameplay video, no demo, what are the supported Steam features? Achievements are there but what about cloud support?

cicero

But what is thoughtfulness in this context? Most people who sell probably also buy. The idea of sellers uniting to artificially keep prices high by agreeing not to undercut makes no sense for anyone who is also a buyer. And not everyone is trying to get the same thing out of it. Some people are trying to make money, others are just trying to make an easy sale. I mean, if I go to sell a table on craigslist, what's my tradeoff? I price higher and I make more money, but people are less likely to buy or I'm likely to wait longer. Most of the time, I look at what other people are selling for and price a little lower. If I had ten cards I wanted to sell today, I'd sell them all today. It's nice that some other sellers would rather tease out the sales over a long period of time to maximize revenue, but most of us just want to sell now and don't want to manage or relist for different prices or watch the daily average or anything like that.

This is made worse by the fact that Steam cards are 100% a substitutionary good--each is equivalent to the other--and people are listing dozens and dozens and dozens a day, probably more than are being bought. Of course price is going to go down.
I guess thoughtfulness as I see it would be more of a realization by the current mob that by dropping down the price to ridiculous levels, despite non-new cards having regularly sold at much higher prices, they are getting much less than they possibly could, they are helping undermine the perceived value of cards within the market, as well as creating momentum for the general outlook where cards HAVE to be listed immediately at the lowest possible prices to get ANYTHING from them. I have no "solution" to this other than to point out the positive benefits to patient thoughtfulness, because frantic mob mentality should be expected as just one more typical aspect of human behavior.

If you know there are a number of Japanese businessmen types that go around buying up everything they can no matter if they are at very high or very low prices, why not push for a more thoughtful approach which understands this potential. Informal price fixing based on a mutual understanding of these trading card "whales". I have had them buy normal cards I listed at $3-5. Cards that I bought off of frantic sellers who had them listed below $1, because I noticed that some of these European "whales" show up later on. I didn't even need to drop down below someone listed near that same $3-5 price. I merely listed at the same price they were at, knowing they would sell before I would, and being fine with that.

antitrop

Looks like a neat platformer. I would enter the raffle except I won something yesterday.
I think the ability to switch between the sisters and activate a special move in the process is a really nice mechanic. You can either do like a "spin jump" or a "fireball dash", and it changes the look of the world when you activate either one.

Reminds me of Trine 2, but the art is not quite at that level. Game still looks very good, though. "A little bit below Trine 2" is still a huge compliment.

Other than that it looked like a standard "collect the gems" platformer. Controls seemed fine.

cammy84

Love the raffle idea. I know it's down to luck of the draw but this feels fairer than the other method of fastest fingers basically. Gives everyone a chance to enter before the draw is made

Grief.exe

I never said nor implied that the games wouldn't go on sale in the future. ;) What I did address, though, was your assumption that they weren't discounted during the Summer Sale because of issues over publishing rights.

Oh, I never thought IP rights were in dispute.

I just thought that Sergey hadn't gotten in touch with Valve to ink a discount deal. And now the registry updates show that someone has been in contact, and readying the games to reflect changes in publishing and getting them ready for future discount.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm not against this, but in general I favour less freeform flexibility in order to protect users. What do people think the major use-cases for raffles are? Clearly there needs to be a short option to make something basically not a raffle but to prevent sniping; clearly there needs to be a slightly longer option but no one wants some shitheel bumping their own giveaway 20 times to draw attention to themselves, so much longer than 24 hours and we run afoul of that. But is there value in granularity of 7 hours versus 8 hours versus 9 hours? Would those actually constitute separate outcomes in terms of what people are looking to do?

Well, having that kind of flexibility would prevent you from having to take those decisions in the first place (what settings will you allow for? 15 mins? 30 mins? an hour? 3 hours? 5 hours? 7? 10? etc). Let's say I have 5 keys in my possession and I want to make a raffle that will give away a key every hour. I could then register 5 the keys with different time settings at the same time and post them all at the same time (still would have to send 5 different PMs, but that's besides the point), instead of having to wait an hour just so I can use the 1-hour setting between each giveaway. Just an example of a use-case that came to mind when you asked, I'm sure as it is now you're accounting for 99% of use cases. I'm just a fan of flexibility :p

p.s. Did you see my post about converting strings to ASCII?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom