• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Attention also I Am Michael Bolton
Also ModBot is broken. Tried to do a giveaway but nothing.

Just woke up. The overnight ModBot issue was from someone with some sort of weird-ass unicode symbol in their username trying to send a PM to ModBot. I have it fixed two ways--first, the weird-ass unicode symbol shouldn't break things anymore. Second, when one PM breaks the bot like that it'll now just ignore that PM instead of refusing to process.

On that note, does anyone know of a Python best practice for taking a string that can be encoded in any kind of character encoding with any kind of symbols in it, and transcoding it to ASCII without any errors? I have tried so many combinations of unicodedata, the .encode and .decode methods, etc. I just want a simple function I can call that takes in a string of any character encoding and outputs ASCII.

Finally, raffles are ready for testing
Add the rule RAFFLE for 3 hour raffles, and RAFFLE24 for 24 hour raffles. Other rules can be combined. Raffles wait the appropriate amount of time and then choose randomly from all valid entries. I'm open to suggestions on the timers; I'm not implementing arbitrary timers.

cicero

So you mean 6€ for a card is bad? :p I guess if you constantly babysit and undercut the card for an hour or two you might get some more, if you're lucky and the right buyer shows up. But yeah... the average value for a foil is less than 2€.
yeah... and how did it get to be that average? Largely because people like you bottomed out the market when rich businessmen in Japan were perfectly willing to pay $10-15 for a foil. Your standard for value is nothing but a race to the bottom. If you see someone listed at 2€, why wouldn't you be compelled to list at 1€ then? Your way is the way of the unthoughtful impatient mob, willing to take pennies on the dollar to frantically grab at some tiny slice of a pie RIGHT NOW.

Why is the price of the Cherry Tree High Cards so high?

I just sold one for about 1,30€, then another one for 1,86€. I actually wanted to craft a badge of it.

Wow. I wanted to craft a badge but with the cards going for these prices I'll be better selling it. Hope the prices don't go down until I get ny cards

Game's only gone on sale twice including summer sale. Makes me wish I picked it up, those profile backwards are kawaii~~

I just wonder why these cards are that high. Could it be because these are the first "anime"-cards?

But it just seems 2 cards are selling that high. Sara Croft and some other card were about 60cent, the MC and some student council president were that high.

liezryou

On that note, does anyone know of a Python best practice for taking a string that can be encoded in any kind of character encoding with any kind of symbols in it, and transcoding it to ASCII without any errors? I have tried so many combinations of unicodedata, the .encode and .decode methods, etc. I just want a simple function I can call that takes in a string of any character encoding and outputs ASCII.

Did that just go over anyone else's head? Also thanks for the raffle update :).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Add the rule RAFFLE for 3 hour raffles, and RAFFLE24 for 24 hour raffles. Other rules can be combined. Raffles wait the appropriate amount of time and then choose randomly from all valid entries. I'm open to suggestions on the timers; I'm not implementing arbitrary timers.

3 hours, 6 hours, 12 hours and 24 hours? There's no need to go higher than a day, I think, but a couple of median options wouldn't go astray.

Fireblend

Banned

Maybe you can detect the encoding of a string using something like chardet and then just use the decode() and encode() functions to convert the string to ASCII as described here?

And why not implement arbitrary timers? Maybe impose a limit of 24 hours or something like that if you're worried someone will ask ModBot to make a raffle a year from now.

Any chance you'll publish the code at some point, by the way? I'm curious about it.

Knurek

yeah... and how did it get to be that average? Largely because people like you bottomed out the market when rich businessmen in Japan were perfectly willing to pay $10-15 for a foil. Your standard for value is nothing but a race to the bottom. If you see someone listed at 2€, why wouldn't you be compelled to list at 1€ then? Your way is the way of the unthoughtful impatient mob, willing to take pennies on the dollar to frantically grab at some tiny slice of a pie RIGHT NOW.

Uhh, so are you suggesting what, price fixing? Market speculation?

I mean, these are just digital thingies you (should) get for playing a game you like, with no real-life worth. If someone wants to part with his for pennies, that's his call, and there's really nothing you can do about it.

Grief.exe

Morning guys!

Good news for people waiting to get STALKER!

Yesterday, SoC + CoP bundle added to the registry.

Today, SoC publisher was changed from THQ to GSC (the IP holder).

We might see a discount soon.

Freezard

Can I change my giveaway to a raffle?

Wow. I wanted to craft a badge but with the cards going for these prices I'll be better selling it. Hope the prices don't go down until I get ny cards

The more people that own a game = the less the cards are worth.

That seems to be the general 'rule'. I sold my Dust cards for .30, where stuff like Psychonauts/GSB is like <.10

Nillansan

Ittle Dew has just been released on Steam.

8LYsbiX.png

Ittle Dew is a puzzly adventure game from Ludosity

Gameplay Trailer

Store Page

EDIT: B10 :(

JakeD

Morning guys!

anybody know of the DRM on these games? i've wanted them for a while but i've heard at one point they had TAGES or securom

Freezard

It's not about being impatient, it's about how much you're willing to gamble. Sooner or later people will put out their foils for much less and in the end you'll lose money on stalling. A many NeoGAF members can attest to this :p

cicero

Uhh, so are you suggesting what, price fixing? Market speculation?

I mean, these are just digital thingies you (should) get for playing a game you like, with no real-life worth. If someone wants to part with his for pennies, that's his call, and there's really nothing you can do about it.
I know there is nothing I can do, except comment about it here and wish that people were a little more thoughtful, less impulsive, and less driven by mob mentality.

JaseC

anybody know of the DRM on these games? i've wanted them for a while but i've heard at one point they had TAGES or securom

According to The Big List of 3rd Party DRM on Steam, none of the Stalker games contain third-party DRM measures. Clear Sky had TAGES but this was apparently rendered inert with a later patch.

All of the DRM has been removed, made inert, or was for the retail version.

Not true: there's still Steam's own CEG.

Edit: Oh, you edited. ;)

Morning guys!

Ow yeah. My friend will be delighted to hear this. Do you think we'll get a Clear Sky discount any time soon?

JaseC

Ow yeah. My friend will be delighted to hear this. Do you think we'll get a Clear Sky discount any time soon?

I think it's likely that the games will be featured as a Midweek Madness deal/Weekend Deal in the near future now that they're all under the one roof.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I know there is nothing I can do, except comment about it here and wish that people were a little more thoughtful, less impulsive, and less driven by mob mentality.

But what is thoughtfulness in this context? Most people who sell probably also buy. The idea of sellers uniting to artificially keep prices high by agreeing not to undercut makes no sense for anyone who is also a buyer. And not everyone is trying to get the same thing out of it. Some people are trying to make money, others are just trying to make an easy sale. I mean, if I go to sell a table on craigslist, what's my tradeoff? I price higher and I make more money, but people are less likely to buy or I'm likely to wait longer. Most of the time, I look at what other people are selling for and price a little lower. If I had ten cards I wanted to sell today, I'd sell them all today. It's nice that some other sellers would rather tease out the sales over a long period of time to maximize revenue, but most of us just want to sell now and don't want to manage or relist for different prices or watch the daily average or anything like that.

This is made worse by the fact that Steam cards are 100% a substitutionary good--each is equivalent to the other--and people are listing dozens and dozens and dozens a day, probably more than are being bought. Of course price is going to go down.

you can change any giveaway rules by resubmitting with new rules.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Early morning coffee mode folks. Nothing to see here.

Interested in that 4 pack. I can host it tomorrow but not today. The only thing I want is to be covered incase there is PP fees. Something I'm sure most are aware of without saying.

MikeDown

Banned
According to The Big List of 3rd Party DRM on Steam, none of the Stalker games contain third-party DRM measures. Clear Sky had TAGES but this was apparently rendered inert with a later patch.

Not true: there's still Steam's own CEG.

Edit: Oh, you edited. ;)
Ubisoft's uplay DRM is down right despicable, when ever I want to play From Dust, I got to login, then update, download my cloud saves and then launch the game. Then after closing I have to upload my saves. Fun game but it is really annoying.

Thanks Stump.

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both five or fewer posts in this Steam thread and five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Journey Down -- MB-0E4DBC49EE4A8E83 - Taken by ricochetguro
Zeno Clash -- MB-0DF06579B825FDB5 - Taken by friedeggs
Galaxy on Fire 2 -- MB-2BAFD5C69505D2DF - Taken by liezryou

cicero

It's not about being impatient, it's about how much you're willing to gamble. Sooner or later people will put out their foils for much less and in the end you'll lose money on stalling. A many NeoGAF members can attest to this :p
You are describing an impatient standard for listing right here though. How does this move to drop the list price by 50% to reduce your "gamble" actually reduce it when you know that someone with the same mentality is merely going to see your listing and drop it by another 50% as well, and on and on, until it hits $.50? You have no guarantee, why not drop it to $.50-$1 to begin with? And that is what so many of them are doing now, and that is how you bottom out the market. Your standard is nothing but impatient.

backdrifter

Neo Member
It's only now that I sit back and take a long hard look at my Library that I realise it's unlikely I'll ever manage to play half of them in my lifetime as it currently stands. Broken the 500 games owned barrier by a considerable number during the Summer Sale

Oh well, Teleglitch to play soon :D

def sim

Thomas Was Alone is pretty good. I bought all these games, but I feel like playing through some indies. Weird!

Michael Bolton, I will enjoy this weirdo game. Thanks for the giveaway; I love your work.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

you can change any giveaway rules by resubmitting with new rules.

You are describing an impatient standard for listing right here though. How does this move to drop the list price by 50% to reduce your "gamble" actually reduce it when you know that someone with the same mentality is merely going to see your listing and drop it by another 50% as well, and on and on, until it hits $.50? You have no guarantee, why not drop it to $.50-$1 to begin with? And that is what so many of them are doing now, and that is how you bottom out the market. Your standard is nothing but impatient.

Experimentation?

If the average price of a card is $2 and you list for $1.90 and fail because you get undercut, and your priority is a quick sale, next time you'll try harder. So next time the average price of the card is $2 and you post for $1. It sells quickly. Okay, so you've managed to undercut enough for a quick sale. That's why you don't post for $0.50 at first. Because a figure higher than $0.50 but lower than 1 cent lower than the previous low is going to guarantee you a quick sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom