• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

cicero

Do you really think there are that many people willing to pay that much for cards? Everyone can't be a seller in a market.
There are enough to make it worth the while of sellers to take notice and price accordingly. And I am referring now to foils or cards for games that haven't had sales or that are high priced. Right now I see cards immediately listed at the same $.10-20 cent price point even thought there are hardly any available for sale because hardly anyone has paid full price for the newer game. It makes no sense other than that they are following a pricing trend and doing the typical frantic seller bit where they drastically undercut everyone else so they can get their pennies on the dollar.

antitrop

What's the early buzz on Shadowrun Returns? Is it going to be any good?

I've heard very little about it, but I have seen the pic of Mitch Geitleman holding the "I'm Sorry" sign.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I've heard very little about it, but I have seen the pic of Mitch Geitleman holding the "I'm Sorry" sign.

Rough and underwhelming is the vibe I've been getting from those who have seen it.

antitrop

Rough and underwhelming is the vibe I've been getting from those who have seen it.
Will probably ignore then, I have no nostalgia for the Shadowrun franchise and the game looked questionable from what I saw on the Steam store in the first place. Such is Kickstarter.

louiedog

No clog, you just submitted while I was doing a live code edit and it paused generating new raffles while I was doing that.

I'm not against this, but in general I favour less freeform flexibility in order to protect users. What do people think the major use-cases for raffles are? Clearly there needs to be a short option to make something basically not a raffle but to prevent sniping; clearly there needs to be a slightly longer option but no one wants some shitheel bumping their own giveaway 20 times to draw attention to themselves, so much longer than 24 hours and we run afoul of that. But is there value in granularity of 7 hours versus 8 hours versus 9 hours? Would those actually constitute separate outcomes in terms of what people are looking to do?

One reason I can think of for controlling the number of hours would be if the game being given away was currently a Steam deal. If there were only a few hours left in the sale it would allow them to end it with enough time to spare so that anyone who was interested but didn't win could still buy it at a discount or avoid a situation where the winner ended up caving and buying it 30 minutes prior.

MikeDown

Banned
I've not encountered any frustrating issues with Uplay thus far. *touch wood* It does take its time to update, though.
It isn't fun on a 56k modem.
wi-five-too-slow.jpg

The release day review embargo doesn't inspire confidence. I'm rethinking if I should pre-order.
Same here, when are product is under embargo it always makes me hesitant on purchasing. Generally I try to avoid preorders

It really seems its a hate-it-or-love-it kind of Game. A lot of people here loved it, but also a lot of users disliked it.

I think they should've probably let you pilot the Strike Suit from the go (that's where Strike Suit Infinity comes into play) because due to the story constraints, you are stuck with rather crappy ships on the first three missions and they are nothing out of the ordinary. There is also the difficulty settings. While they tuned up that part a lot, a lot still find it quite hard.

I personally freaking loved the game and was waiting over 10 years for a dev to make something like this. It even has official mod tools now so god knows what may come out from those!

edit: but, yeah, there doesn't seem to be a middle ground, you either love it or hate it.

Thanks to friedeggs for the raffle of Gianna Sisters.
Wanted to buy it today from the Steam Card money, but seems I dont need to now.

Thanks friedeggs!!!!!!!! :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Will probably ignore then, I have no nostalgia for the Shadowrun franchise and the game looked questionable from what I saw on the Steam store in the first place. Such is Kickstarter.

I do like the game's visuals and my eyes lit up when I noticed there was a DDE, but even at Dunder's price I decided it was a game best purchased during the post-Summer Sale lull. I'm rather glad I waited.

antitrop

I think they should've probably let you pilot the Strike Suit from the go (that's where Strike Suit Infinity comes into play) because due to the story constraints, you are stuck with rather crappy ships on the first three missions and they are nothing out of the ordinary. There is also the difficulty settings. While they tuned up that part a lot, a lot still find it quite hard.

I personally freaking loved the game and was waiting over 10 years for a dev to make something like this. It even has official mod tools now so god knows what may come out from those!

edit: but, yeah, there doesn't seem to be a middle ground, you either love it or hate it.
I guess I'll give Strike Suit Infinity a chance, then. It's a small download, misewell.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

This is a pretty good summation of the criticisms:

You're running damage control, so this needs to be addressed.

Regarding DRM, the DRM-free version was intended as the main release of the game, with other platforms like Steam investigated after the fact in a secondary capacity, explicitly in the Kickstarter campaign. Post-Kickstarter this turned into the DRM-free version being made available to Kickstarter backers only and not sold otherwise, with limited support for mod content and updates, while the Steam version became the main supported release, due to a licensing agreement with Microsoft requiring DRM that was not finalized until after the Kickstarter campaign ended. This fact and its implications for the promises of the campaign were not disclosed until after the Kickstarter ended and they received everyone's money.

The Berlin campaign was a stretch goal for inclusion in the game. As with Doublefine's project, post-Kickstarter this was shunted into a separate release, which can be an understandable consequence of management setbacks and time/money allocation, but the kicker here is that Berlin will be sold as paid DLC to everyone except the Kickstarter backers. Berlin was never described as such during the Kickstarter.

Kickstarter is a system of patronage, not just a preorder system, in the case of Shadowrun's campaign. Consumers funded a project not just to receive the project or bonus swag, but in order to have a game made that could not otherwise be made, and for that game to be available to the general public with the parameters described in the Kickstarter pitch.

Harebrained Schemes acted in bad faith with the DRM situation and the Berlin campaign by not disclosing the status of the licensing deal with Microsoft (which led to DRM restrictions) and by selling a stretch goal as paid DLC after the fact. It may not matter to many of the backers as it does not affect them directly in terms of what they specifically receive, but it's not as simple as that. How I (and others) back a project is influenced by the inclusion of a DRM-free release, the platforms it's being made available on, and the content being included in the game.

Fireblend

Banned

I'm assuming you've played the game and probably are a good person to ask:

I've heard a lot of criticism for the default controls, and I've also heard lots of people that say tweaking them made the game much better for them. Do you have any recommendations as to how to change the key/button bindings? I bought Infinity and tried playing the tutorial and I couldn't stand it because the controls felt clunky as hell.

It really seems its a hate-it-or-love-it kind of Game. A lot of people here loved it, but also a lot of users disliked it.

Guess I'll give it a try later to see which side of the fence I'm on.

I did give Evoland a go last night for a few minutes. In theory I like the concept, but I'm not sure it's enough to hold my interest long enough to finish it.

Acorn

Same. It seems (at least its my perception may not be true) that Kickstarter games aside from a select few like FTL are besieged by issues.

I guess I'll give Strike Suit Infinity a chance, then. It's a small download, misewell.

I played it last night, and I thought it was fun, if a little mediocre. At least you get to play a semi-modern looking frantic space combat game for a while. The controls really aren't tight enough for me, and there is something really terrible about the fov, and the whole mech angle is kind of retarded. I wish they would have larger battles, larger arenas, and ditched the mech aspect.

Kifimbo

Ok, in the last two weeks, several people complained they were getting duplicated cards. Some joked that Steam/Valve/Gaben hated them and was punishing them. I knew getting duplicates was completely normal. Now I just want to give you the probability of getting duplicates. Basically, it’s always equal or higher than not getting duplicates. Someone probably already did this somewhere, but whatever. So, assuming each card has the same probability of dropping and each drop is independent:

Games with 3 card drops out of 5 cards:
- Probability of 3 different cards = 28,6%
- Probability of 2 different cards (one pair + 1 other) = 57,1%
- Probability of only one card (three of a kind) = 14,3%

Games with 3 card drops out of 6 cards:
- Probability of 3 different cards = 35,7%
- Probability of 2 different cards (one pair + 1 other) = 53,7%
- Probability of only one card (three of a kind) = 10,7%

Games with 4 card drops out of 7 cards:
- Probability of 4 different cards = 16,7%
- Probability of 3 different cards (one pair + 2 other) = 50%
- Probability of 2 different cards (three of a kind + 1 other) = 20%
- Probability of 2 different cards (two pairs) = 10%
- Probability of only one card (four of a kind) = 3,3%

Games with 4 card drops out of 8 cards:
- Probability of 4 different cards = 21,2%
- Probability of 3 different cards (one pair + 2 other) = 50,9%
- Probability of 2 different cards (three of a kind + 1 other) = 17%
- Probability of 2 different cards (two pairs) = 8,5%
- Probability of only one card (four of a kind) = 2,4%

Hopefully I didn’t make any mistake. If you guys want, I could do the same for 5 out of 9, 5 out of 10, etc. But I just wanted to show that getting duplicates is more likely than not getting duplicates. So don’t be upset when you do and be thankful when you receive different cards. You are lucky when that happens.

I'm going to be playing some co-op games with a friend and we wanted to do voice chat while we played.

Is the integrated voice chat in Steam good enough or do you prefer to use another service?

Thanks

fallout

There are enough to make it worth the while of sellers to take notice and price accordingly. And I am referring now to foils or cards for games that haven't had sales or that are high priced. Right now I see cards immediately listed at the same $.10-20 cent price point even thought there are hardly any available for sale because hardly anyone has paid full price for the newer game. It makes no sense other than that they are following a pricing trend and doing the typical frantic seller bit where they drastically undercut everyone else so they can get their pennies on the dollar.
Yeah, that I can agree with to a point. Of course, to some degree, if the demand was there for those cards, they would get eaten up at the lower price and drive the price up.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just to verify that the raffle worked:
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request Kifimbo for 09F35EBCA2AFD1ED 10:34:42.827000
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request NingenJanai for 09F35EBCA2AFD1ED 10:34:43.006000
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request Nabs for 09F35EBCA2AFD1ED 10:35:17.881000
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request Chairmanchuck for 09F35EBCA2AFD1ED 10:36:27.860000
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request liezryou for 09F35EBCA2AFD1ED 10:37:02.879000
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request MMBosstones86 for 09F35EBCA2AFD1ED 10:37:37.878000
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request Deadbeat for 09F35EBCA2AFD1ED 10:37:38.078000
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request nexen for 09F35EBCA2AFD1ED 10:38:12.902000
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request kaleii for 09F35EBCA2AFD1ED 10:38:13.111000
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request chronomac for 09F35EBCA2AFD1ED 10:38:47.910000
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request PriitV for 09F35EBCA2AFD1ED 10:38:48.095000
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request nacimento for 09F35EBCA2AFD1ED 10:38:48.277000
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request Uiki for 09F35EBCA2AFD1ED 10:39:22.929000
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request Kipp for 09F35EBCA2AFD1ED 10:39:57.938000
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request sapsari for 09F35EBCA2AFD1ED 10:42:53.010000
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request louiedog for 09F35EBCA2AFD1ED 10:42:53.210000
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request Tak3n for 09F35EBCA2AFD1ED 10:44:02.977000
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request Terra_Ex for 09F35EBCA2AFD1ED 10:46:22.978000
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request faceless007 for 09F35EBCA2AFD1ED 10:48:07.994000
GA: Claim Process: Poster doesn't meet no-lurker requirements: Tak3n 10:48:12.938000
GA: Claim Process: Poster has won in last day: Kifimbo. Proof: 1374516805/1374504493 10:48:13.101000
GA: Claims Process: I am going to give Giana Sisters to Chairmanchuck. Added to PM Queue. 10:48:13.198000
GA: Claim Process: Begin post edit mark, looking for post to edit out 10:48:13.200000
GA: Claim Process: Did not find an edit URL, begin thread search 10:48:13.203000
GA: Claim Process: I am looking for the key MB-09F35EBCA2AFD1ED 10:48:13.207000
GA: Claim Process: I am opening http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=631011&page=999999&nojs=1 10:48:13.209000
GA: Claims Process: Succesfully located edit URL, proceeding to edit. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=72325311&nojs=1 10:48:15.218000
GA: Claim Process: Edited out key 09F35EBCA2AFD1ED 10:48:16.017000
GA: PM Queue: PM Sent to Chairmanchuck with subject You win Giana Sisters! using ModBot 1 10:48:17.045000

Yay!

p.s. Did you see my post about converting strings to ASCII?

Yeah I did. That's basically what I'm doing now in a hacked up ad-hoc way, but I guess I was hoping for a magic black box that someone else had written that would 100% guarantee exception-free conversion :p Thanks for the response though obv.

Knurek

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Geneforge Saga -- MB-5AA7B8E8EAEEA41C

The raffle feature is a great addition, Stumpokapow, honestly, ++

antitrop

Admittedly, that's not about the game itself, only the Kickstarter controversy. This shouldn't really concern people planning to just play the Steam version anyway.
I was going to say something about that, how that controversy barely has anything to do with the game itself, but whatever.

On top of the poor practices of the development team with regards to their Kickstarter backers and the mediocre looking quality of the game itself, I am over the whole thing.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Sold a Retro Virus card for like $2.70. Loving the new cards, getting decent prices off them and made profit off Retro/Grade

Sold a Retro Virus card for like $2.70. Loving the new cards, getting decent prices off them and made profit off Retro/Grade

Yeah. Its kinda strange to see such prices. Also made 6€ with the Cherry Tree High Cards, sold one of them for 1,85€.

Gotta go fast, or the prices will fall I guess.

backdrifter

Neo Member
So lets see if this works!

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Poker Night At The Inventory -- MB-72ADC11DC6B5D1F7 - Taken by sapsari

Firebrand

Really strange that FTL has cards but not achievements.
I assume card drops don't require modification to the game itself, but just uploading card images and enabling the feature.

More than achievements though I'd really like for the game to get SteamCloud support, so I can sync my ships and stats a bit easier between machines. Actually, seems like it does have it? Hmm.

Tenrius

I was going to say something about that, how that controversy barely has anything to do with the game itself, but whatever.

On top of the poor practices of the development team with regards to their Kickstarter backers and the mediocre looking quality of the game itself, I am over the whole thing.

I was going to sit it out myself, but then the card beta started and I was able to get it (as well as a bunch of other games lol) for free with the card money, so I'll be there for the release.

Really strange that FTL has cards but not achievements.

It even has in-game achievements, too.

Just sold my first thing, a Reus Foil for $2.25. They were closer to $3 yesterday but oh well. Next sale I'll be able to buy a cheap indie for a quarter. Cool.

I feel like I've opened the door to something that will eventually ruin me.

Copons

I think I read somewhere the Devs didn't want achievements to change the way people played the game. Makes sense I guess.

Uh, I just realized that FTL doesn't have achievements.
I was totally sure it had them, as there are in-game achievements.

So devs think that Steam achievs change the way people play, but in-game achievs don't?

ArjanN

I think I read somewhere the Devs didn't want achievements to change the way people played the game. Makes sense I guess.

No that was the Don't Starve dev I think.

FTL essentially already has achievements in-game, so that argument doesn't make much sense. (it never makes much sense anyway, because IMO it just means you should design your achievements better)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom