• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wario, I really appreciate your enthusiasm in using ModBot. At some point I'm going to be expanding it for the iOS thread--I know you manage to get your hands on a lot of promo codes, so if you have some spares you aren't planning to give out would you mind holding on to them and getting in touch with me when I'm ready to expand over there? I could go rob a bunch of Starbucks app-of-the-week cards but I'd rather not :p

56 entries so far

Turfster

Damn, now I feel bad after that, Wario64!

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this Steam thread and fewer than five posts in the immediate previous Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

King's Bounty Armored Princess -- MB-26FE7AB3FFB7A27C - Taken by Eanan

mug

Wario, I really appreciate your enthusiasm in using ModBot. At some point I'm going to be expanding it for the iOS thread--I know you manage to get your hands on a lot of promo codes, so if you have some spares you aren't planning to give out would you mind holding on to them and getting in touch with me when I'm ready to expand over there? I could go rob a bunch of Starbucks app-of-the-week cards but I'd rather not :p

56 entries so far
cooooool! gotta love modbot.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

56 entries so far

Sadly, I don't really get iOS codes

Still looks and plays great. Forgot how much fun the combat was. Might replay it just to get to the point where I can play the DLC. You can choose to play as the Player 2 character almost from the beginning, which wasn't in the PS3 version I played.

EDIT: Steam + imgur compression = bad

Daellon

Neo Member
You have probably already seen this, but they have just uploaded some new footage, Scale and Detail.

This got me very excited!

I played the life out of Freelancer years ago and I've always been on the lookout for a game like it since. (I'm a Star Citizen backer but that won't be out for a while yet.)

I picked up the X series bundle a while back but have yet to play any of them yet, mainly because I have no idea where to begin. Any fans of the series here that could give a newcomer some advice where to begin with these games?

Uiki

What are poeple talking about then when they say they have played it in over 50+/100+ hours?

I'm playing it for over a year on XBLA and I never got to the last boss.

It takes you hundreds of hours to become good.

And even after that, you don't become "good". You just learn how to react in every random situation.

Then you need to do an insane 4 step secret combination through 15 levels to reach the ending. And it's fucking hard.

The point of spelunky is not reaching the end. You can finish it every run you do and keep playing. It's that good.

rybrad

What are people talking about then when they say they have played it in over 50+/100+ hours?
Just like any other Roguelike(like), it is about the journey and not necessarily the end. You can play these kind of games endlessly and always have a different experience.

fantomena

I'm playing it for over a year on XBLA and I never got to the last boss.

It takes you hundreds of hours to become good.

And even after that, you don't become "good". You just learn how to react in every random situation.

Then you need to do an insane 4 step secret combination through 15 levels to reach the ending. And it's fucking hard.

The point of spelunky is not reaching the end. You can finish it every run you do and keep playing. It's that good.

T

Just like any other Roguelike(like), it is about the journey and not necessarily the end. You can play these kind of games endlessly and always have a different experience.

So it's like Rogue Legacy and FTL where every journey is never the same?

Uiki

The levels are random generated every time you launch the game.

Except for the daily challenge where everyone gets the same world and one try only for the high score possible.

Ugh, wanted to go for the Shadow achievement in Dishonored (not getting discovered) but I must have been seen somewhere... I completed the first real mission, had no allerts but somehow the ghost box wasn't checked... I have no idea where I got detected. I'm not going to start over though...

Fireblend

Banned

Yep. There's a huge amount of random situations, traps, enemies, and special scenarios you can encounter at pretty much any time during a given run. For example running into a darkened room in which you have to use a torch, or a cemetery with special enemies, or even finding the entrance to an alien ship. Those might never occur in a given run, and then they might all happen in the next.

15 minutes to go!

Dolor

Any fans of the series here that could give a newcomer some advice where to begin with these games?

If you are unsure that you will like it, I would start with the last one. It's got the most features and polish.

My biggest advice would be to use autopilot a lot (Ctrl+A) so as not to crash while you do other things and to download a mod for unlimited salvage insurance (allows you to save anywhere). Both of those will save you a lot of unnecessary frustration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom