• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tellaerin

One of the best games? Was the Gunplay that good? Or the skills?

Just think again about the actual gameplay. Dont think about the twist at the end or the graphics or artdesign. Just about the actual GAME in this.

There's more to a game than just play mechanics

(Maybe not for you personally, but it's true for a lot of us.)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Just think again about the actual gameplay. Dont think about the twist at the end or the graphics or artdesign. Just about the actual GAME in this.

Damn, I'm thinking about it now and you just made me realize it was shit. Total shit. Omg how can I recommend the game anymore? The magic story and gaphics tricked me!

FloatOn

I love the whole trilogy too. Hopefully Infinite's story DLC will live up to Minerva's Den.

Infinite's story DLC is equivalent to when the star trek crew was playing around in the holodeck and became characters from robin hood or sherlock holmes.

switching familiar characters into different roles does not make for good story. It will be a neat novelty at best.

Grief.exe

This is my take on it.

The actual gameplay of Infinite isn't that good.

Not saying that the game isn't worth playing, or that it doesn't have a good story.

Just the gameplay isn't that solid.

Dolor

So if I jump in with X3: Albion Prelude, will I be completely lost or does the plot draw heavily from the previous games?

Unless things have changed, you really aren't playing the X series for the story. It's very...loose.

Yeah, the "story" is basically a way of introducing you to the gameplay elements (e.g. here is a fighting quest, here is a transportation quest, here is a building quest), but it's basically a giant sand-box where you can trade/fight/build however much you want. Think Mount & Blade single player with spaceships, and you're on the right track.

Razorskin

----- ------
Watching Dunders Spreadsheet as he adds new games is hilarious.
0hcljTO.png

Prices are probably placeholders.

Never used the dude but people are dicks

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Your comparison to a prison economy is spot on.

Steam Prison Economy will remain my greatest contribution to humanity. My other attempts at lexicographical history, while good, have never quite hit the same high bar.

Other terms I've attempted to coin:
Steamrolled
Steam Toilet Account
599/10

nexen

I agree. It was a much better game in terms of story, production, gameplay. However, I do have to give Bioshock 1 the edge when it comes to atmosphere. There were levels in rapture where I was there. Overall, Infinite is my GOTY so far.
Yeah, Rapture > Columbia but the plot holes in Bioshock 1 really ripped me out of the game.

I love the whole trilogy too. Hopefully Infinite's story DLC will live up to Minerva's Den.
I can't wait to play Minerva's Den. I hope Grief is right about it coming to steam.

The story is a large (the largest?) part of the experience to me. I have lots of games with amazing gunplay but if the story sucks it doesn't matter past the first few hours. Could BI's gunplay be better? Sure. But it was good enough. The art design was amazing, the story was amazing, the writing and dialogue were good, and the atmosphere was great.

The entire package is head and shoulders above most anything I've ever played. It is an incredible game.

Nabs

Steam Prison Economy will remain my greatest contribution to humanity. My other attempts at lexicographical history, while good, have never quite hit the same high bar.

Other terms I've attempted to coin:
Steamrolled
Steam Toilet Account
599/10

599/10 will save me so much money in the future.

tmespe

I am in the mood for an ARPG and van helsing is tempting at that price. How does it compare to Diablo 3 and torchlight 2?

Grief.exe

I can't wait to play Minerva's Den. I hope Grief is right about it coming to steam.

There is no question as to whether Minerva's Den is coming to Steam.

The BioShock 2 achievements reference it, there is a separate app for the entry now, they added a BioShock 2 + Minerva's Den app with purchasing options.

Just a matter of time.

There seems to be a lot of noise about Gaucamele and Spelunky. I'm thinking about picking one. Which is the better game?

I already own both on other platforms, and personally I'm double dipping on Spelunky now and waiting for a sale on Guac. You will get a LOT more bang for your buck with Spelunky.

Guac was solid, but once I beat the game, I didn't really feel compelled to go back and explore the areas I had missed. It was a little too dumbed down and linear as far as metroidvanias go.

cammy84

Nice too see Spelunky do so well. I'm tempted by that and Papers Please but think I'm going to hold off a little bit. I just hope I don't get tempted

Dont get blinded by pretty graphics and a good story. If you want something like that go and watch a CGI movie.

This is my take on it.

The actual gameplay of Infinite isn't that good.

Not saying that the game isn't worth playing, or that it doesn't have a good story.

Just the gameplay isn't that solid.

The game HAS a good story and is worth a shot just for the ending alone. But calling this one of the best games is just a bit too much. I mean if it comes down to shitty gameplay and good story we could say that Spec Ops The Line would be one of the best games too. But we dont. But Bioshock Infinite is? Just a bit too much.

nexen

There is no question as to whether Minerva's Den is coming to Steam.

The BioShock 2 achievements reference it, there is a separate app for the entry now, they added a BioShock 2 + Minerva's Den app with purchasing options.

Just a matter of time.

Oh good. I could really use more Bioshock.

Benedict

EWmof.gif
Just discovered the wonders of keys
p0QHO.gif

It's like Christmas (steam sale) all year round...

Got Rayman Legends and Spelunky for 7 and 5 keys each.

Number 1 on Wishlist is Spelunky. That trailer on the Steam page was awesome, I'd hadn't seen it in motion with the improved graphics. Looks 10x's better than the freeware version

Guess I know what I'll be getting during the Autumn/Halloween/Winter sale

kaleii

I've decided to buy Papers Please, wait for Spelunky to come out on PSN (for a PS3/Vita Crossbuy) and skip Guacamelee.

Good choice or best choice? BEST CHOICE?!

naib

Spelunky is pretty much the only thing I've turned my xbox on for since letting my gold expire.

Looks like I'll be grabbing Papers as well.

Not double dipping on Guac but its highly recomended.

What a day.

What? Who are you to tell me how I derive entertainment from a video game?

Herewego.gif

The story is a large (the largest?) part of the experience to me. I have lots of games with amazing gunplay but if the story sucks it doesn't matter past the first few hours. Could BI's gunplay be better? Sure. But it was good enough. The art design was amazing, the story was amazing, the writing and dialogue were good, and the atmosphere was great.

The entire package is head and shoulders above most anything I've ever played. It is an incredible game.

The dialogues are worse than Bioshock 1 for me. I mean hear what Andrew says... then go to Bioshock Infinite. Everything feels so dumped down. If you know anything about Chaos Theory you could laugh about the shit Elizabeth says when you had to save the chinese guy.

DagsJT

Hmm, can't buy Guacamelee as getting error "All games already in cart" and below it says "*It looks like you have packages which overlap in your cart. You need to remove the redundant packages from your cart before you can checkout."

Removing and re-adding does nothing.

nexen

Dont get blinded by pretty graphics and a good story. If you want something like that go and watch a CGI movie.

The game HAS a good story and is worth a shot just for the ending alone. But calling this one of the best games is just a bit too much. I mean if it comes down to shitty gameplay and good story we could say that Spec Ops The Line would be one of the best games too. But we dont. But Bioshock Infinite is? Just a bit too much.

Not everyone has the same value system as you, friend. I'd easily place this in my top 20 games of all time, warts and all.

The dialogues are worse than Bioshock 1 for me. I mean hear what Andrew says... then go to Bioshock Infinite. Everything feels so dumped down. If you know anything about Chaos Theory you could laugh about the shit Elizabeth says when you had to save the chinese guy.
I barely listened to any of the tape recordings in BI so I have no opinion on that. Bioshock 1's story didn't even make logical sense. While I find BI's interpretation of the multiple-worlds view of quantum mechanics very suspect, it was (mostly) logically consistent which is all I ask of a piece of fantasy. It wasn't aiming to be hard sci-fi.

Blizzard

Banned
I am going to pick up BOTH Spelunky and Guacamelee (which I'm hoping looks decent in high resolution), where is your god now.

For added rebel points, I'm going to skip Papers Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom