• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I told myself I never would like Civ 5 and then I bought it and

hypno.gif

I hope I like it too. Bought it under pressure from my friends, but from what I've seen of it it looks so boring... I hope I'm wrong though, or else that's 10€ down the drain.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What's the release schedule looking like for the rest of the episodes? How long are each? I found the wait between Walking Dead episodes fine and part of the appeal I suppose.

The final three are due out "over the coming year". Act I lasted me somewhere between 2 and 3 hours, but if you're one to rush things, you could smash through it in half that time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Since I've been getting tons of "how do I follow basic directions" questions, I made these helpful tutorial GIFs for using ModBot

HOW I CLAIM GAEM???? I WANT GAEM U GIEV???? HOW U????
howtoclaim.gif.gif1vlh0.gif

I GOT GAM 2 GIVE?!?!?! HOW GET HUGZ FROM U??????? NEED NO!!!????
howtoregister.giflvb8t.gif

I disagree. Look at Gal Civ 2, an amazing game made by a developer who is not the most agreeable person. A lot of people care about how the developers act outside of the final product. When someone asked for info on Gal Civ 2 during the summer sale, Stump felt motivated enough to spend time describing the behavior of the developers instead of just posting an objective view of the game.

To be fair, it was not GalCiv2, it was Elemental: Fallen Enchantress, and I did post what I had heard about the game, as well as the history of the game's development (as a reboot of another game that released). I said that I heard that it was vastly improved over the original failure, but mostly I hadn't heard many people suggest it was a must-have. Then I mentioned the developer's behaviour, which I thought was germane because there's an ongoing lawsuit specifically about this game. But yes obviously I agree with you that in cases where the developer's actions would give someone pause about purchasing the game, it's probably better to be forthcoming with them rather than say "who cares as long as the game is good"

I'm assuming you've played the game and probably are a good person to ask:

I've heard a lot of criticism for the default controls, and I've also heard lots of people that say tweaking them made the game much better for them. Do you have any recommendations as to how to change the key/button bindings? I bought Infinity and tried playing the tutorial and I couldn't stand it because the controls felt clunky as hell.

The controls of the game are indeed the hardest topic of them all. Some people loved the mouse+keyboard aspect. I personally used a 360 pad and lowered the aiming sensibility a bit to make it manageable to aim at big ship parts in Strike Mode. For Flight Mode I stuck with the machinegun (no need to aim just align sights and fire away to chip shields down) and the plasma cannon or the railgun for precision shots.

Took me a bit to get used to but eventually I mastered the controls. I put nearly 28 hours on Infinity (100/100 the thing) and 31 on the base version where I need to play the new campaign they added so I smell another 10 hours.

What a lot of people don't understand is where the inspirations of the game come from: the game uses a "focus" button in mech mode to point you at your current target. Combined with the lock-on system, those mechanics are straight out from Omega Boost, a PSX classic, so I felt right back at home when switching to Strike mode to shoot down 15+ fighters at once. So it's a game like that, kind of arcadeish, with a space sim coating but it's not really all that sim. It's about taking off threats in flight mode, build up flux then switch to strike mode to wipe out everything on screen.

It could've used better voices and a better ship design with huge stuff but, well, that's where perhaps mods could come into play.

derExperte

The final three are due out "over the coming year". Act I lasted me somewhere between 2 and 3 hours, but if you're one to rush things, you could smash through it in half that time.

Steam says I got through A1 in 0.8 hours. I hope the second one is longer.

Volotaire

Since I've been getting tons of "how do I follow basic directions" questions, I made these helpful tutorial GIFs for using ModBot

howtoclaim.gif.gif1vlh0.gif

howtoregister.giflvb8t.gif

Oh man, you keep delivering.

Pakkidis

I'm new to the whole steam thing so bear with me. I bought some games in the summer sale however the transaction has not showed up on my credit card bill. How long does it take to show up? Its been about 3 days now.

(This is going to be pathetic) but my account name on steam is pakkidis, I would like some neogaf friends :p

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Buy KR0. Amazing presentation. I'm not a fan of these types of games, but cheese's post on it pushed me into getting it. Well that and the art style. I'm happy I brought it.

Acorn

I hope I like it too. Bought it under pressure from my friends, but from what I've seen of it it looks so boring... I hope I'm wrong though, or else that's 10€ down the drain.

Its anything but boring, especially with how BNW switched everything on its head.

I'm new to the whole steam thing so bear with me. I bought some games in the summer sale however the transaction has not showed up on my credit card bill. How long does it take to show up? Its been about 3 days now.

(This is going to be pathetic) but my account name on steam is pakkidis, I would like some neogaf friends :p

I am not sure, but with the credit card I have (in Germany) it always has a fixed date in the month were everything that you bought with it, gets listed and "paid".

Grief.exe

I would always just send the code in to modbot when I was trying to redeem a game.

So if it was Bioshock -- MB-B5315192FD

I would just copy/paste this portion MB-B5315192FD in the PM.

Its always worked, but I will start copy/pasting the entire line.

I can literally feel the taste of salt reading that.

it probably show as POS check on your credit card bill for now, then it properly show later

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I would always just send the code in to modbot when I was trying to redeem a game.

So if it was Bioshock -- MB-B5315192FD

I would just copy/paste this portion MB-B5315192FD in the PM.

Its always worked, but I will start copy/pasting the entire line.
I thought we only had to copy the code portion.

Makes no difference, ModBot doesn't care. I just put the whole line in the rules and in the tutorial so that a) people don't accidentally copy the wrong game code in a multi-game giveaway, and b) people don't start thinking they don't need the MB- part or otherwise chop it down even further. Your way works fine. If double-clicking MB-whatever and copy-pasting that is faster for you, go for it.

Grief.exe

Makes no difference, ModBot doesn't care. I just put the whole line in the rules and in the tutorial so that a) people don't accidentally copy the wrong game code in a multi-game giveaway, and b) people don't start thinking they don't need the MB- part or otherwise chop it down even further. Your way works fine. If double-clicking MB-whatever and copy-pasting that is faster for you, go for it.

Its all about speed Stump

vermadas

Epic. Now how can we combine these GIFs with scenes from Terminator?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Why is Stump so awesome? Is he getting paid for this or something?

But I don't do it for the money, I do it from the heart
I'll do it with the beatbox, I did it from the start
I'll do it for the DJs, I'll do it for the charts
The Van Gogh flow, Luda do it 'cause it's art

Prophane33

Okay, I'm idling for games, but I really want to play a game right now that does not feature cards drops. Can anyone give me the definitive answer: Do multiple games idling work or not? My friend that tried it during the sale had no luck whatsoever with that method. I would like to idle for cards, but I actually want to play(!?) a game at the same time.

maty

I sent a PM to ModBot yesterday to create a giveaway but didn't get an answer yet. Should I send it again or should I use another bot?

Grief.exe

Okay, I'm idling for games, but I really want to play a game right now that does not feature cards drops. Can anyone give me the definitive answer: Do multiple games idling work or not? My friend that tried it during the sale had no luck whatsoever with that method. I would like to idle for cards, but I actually want to play(!?) a game at the same time.

Yes.

I launched FFVII, then Awesomenauts last night to idle.

Steam showed I was playing FFVII to my friends, but i was getting cards from Awesomenauts.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Someone in this thread said something about Alice 2 being on sale for 3 euro's on Origin.
I've just installed Origin. I'm holding you responsible. ;)

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Someone in this thread said something about Alice 2 being on sale for 3 euro's on Origin.
I've just installed Origin. I'm holding you responsible. ;)

Alice: Madness Returns is/was 3€ here in Switzerland. Some other games were discounted too. But Alice price is definitely the best considering Steam sells it for 49.99€.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

There is no definitive answer. Sometimes it works and you can use up all your drops; other times you either get just a single card or something in-between. I've experienced all three myself.

DTKT

Yes, it works. Though, it doesn't work when you try to idle in 15 games at once. I got 3 cards for the first 3 games I launched and then nothing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I sent a PM to ModBot yesterday to create a giveaway but still didn't get an answer. Should I send it again or should I use another bot?

I see the PM being recorded, but not the giveaway. Send again. I put in some code last night and this morning that should make it impossible for this kind of thing to happen again.

RE: Another bot--Always send to ModBot. ModBot 2 and ModBot 3 do NOT receive PMs.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
It is/was 3€ here in Switzerland. Some other games were discounted too. But Alice price is definitely the best considering Steam sells it for 49.99€.
It is in The Netherlands as well.
Man, do those downloads go sloooow. I'm used to steam's 15MB, now i'm barely getting 1MB. :p

But anyhow, i'm getting a bit OT here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom