• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Too lazy, just posting this lol

Mr Elysia: I must be if everyone keeps saying.
Xelios: We have just updated the beta, with the following changes:

- change Steam to not require a restart when going from offline mode to online mode at login time
Xelios: yay
liquidmetal14: lawd

Do any of you guys want a 50% Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army coupon? I'm never going to use it so if someone else wants it they can just have it.

Turfster

Take that back, you hurenshon you!

These insults are amazing. I'd like to start using those words in my everyday language :p

So you called him (typo'd, correct is sohn) the son of a whore, and he called you... something I'm going to translate as annoying monkey ass.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I also have something to give away, heh. Does anyone want access to the Skullgirls beta?

It expires on the 22nd when the actual game comes out, so I want to give it to someone who's actually interested in trying the game and would actually play it. :p

Cth

I also have something to give away, heh. Does anyone want access to the Skullgirls beta?

It expires on the 22nd when the actual game comes out, so I wanted to give it to someone who would actually play it instead of just putting it up via ModBot. :p

I'd like to give it a shot!

NZNova

OK so this is a question. Is there any actual way to change the assigned quadrant of a 360 controller hooked up to a pc? If I have a gamepad hooked up assigned to quadrant 1 and plug in a fight stick for some skullgirls it gets assigned to quadrant 2, even if I've unplugged the original gamepad first. There doesn't seem to be any way to change the assignment after the fact - and indeed plugging the original gamepad in more often than not ends up with it being assigned quadrant 3. I've found the only way to resolve the problem is to unplug everything, reboot the pc and then plug in the fight stick first to make sure it gets quadrant 1.

How on earth can there be no "change quadrant/player number" option?

Does Spelunky still send a ghost after you after a certain time period in each map? That aspect killed the XBLA release for me; the exploration and decision making was compelling but I found it hard to enjoy with the gun to your head at all times.

Pikmin is another game I wrestle with for the same reason.

Salsa

Does Spelunky still send a ghost after you after a certain time period in each map? That aspect killed the XBLA release for me; the exploration and decision making was compelling but I found it hard to enjoy with the gun to your head at all times.

yes

gotta go fast

avoiding the ghost is easy

LiquidMetal14

Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/ap...er_292x136.jpg
Rayman Origins -- MB-8BD3EF4CD76133BA - Taken by C00kie M0nster

Testing the waters.

Smash88

Banned
The biggest glaring problem for me is the lack of resolution options in Spelunky.

It's kind of a turn off. Especially on a 27" monitor - and even those with a 30" monitor. It looks small and slightly less crisp.

What a shame.

Despite this the game is fun from the little I have played it.

Turfster

I'm sorry :/

Thought they just were made up words. Didn't mean to insult you, alr1ght.

To be fair, he started it ;)
The one he used is probably a lot worse than my translation, but I (thankfully) haven't had to use any german for the last... 16 years or so, so I'm rusty.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
LM14: You copied and pasted the text from the message instead of quoting it and copy/pasting the quote. It's not big deal, as you can see the system works regardless, but if you want it to look nice, show the game icon, and have the link to PM ModBot to make it easier on people, you'll want to copy the quoted version, not the text.

As per:
howtoregister.giflvb8t.gif

Acccent

Dark Souls update! I just finished Anor Londo, I think it was HoosTrax who was wondering what I'd think of two specific passages?

First, the two Silver Archers. Yeah, that's the first time since the start of the game where I went 'oh come on, that's just gratuitously frustrating.' It added nothing, I don't know what they were thinking. It reminded me of the worst parts in that swamp level in Demon's Souls. But anyway, I got through after like 10 tries...

Then, Smough and Ornstein! Man what an INCREDIBLE fight. I beat them just now, and I have trouble typing because my fingers are numb. Got them on the fourth try, and I think they do fit my earlier description of the game: you need to be patient and concentrated first and foremost. All of their attacks had pretty forgiving timing. I loved how it forced me to keep switching the lock-on from one to another, I was always flicking the right stick left and right to keep them both in sight. I killed Smough first (after seeing his deadly electrified hammer on my first try...) and Super Ornstein wasn't that much trouble, apart from his empalling attack which got me a couple of times, but it only removed a bit less than a third of my life, so, no big deal.
And gosh that music! aaaagh

ANYWAYS this game is awesome.

LiquidMetal14

LM14: You copied and pasted the text from the message instead of quoting it and copy/pasting the quote. It's not big deal, as you can see the system works regardless, but if you want it to look nice, show the game icon, and have the link to PM ModBot to make it easier on people, you'll want to copy the quoted version, not the text.

As per:
howtoregister.giflvb8t.gif

I admit

geboblwf5z.jpg

I'm new to this.

Turfster

Was just going to ask about this. Is base Civ 5 worth it or should I wait until the whole package gets to a lower price?

Have you ever played any Civ 5? Or Civs before it? If not, Civ 5 is a great starting point. You can do a rather cheap upgrade during the summer/winter sale.

Have you ever played any Civ 5? Or Civs before it? If not, Civ 5 is a great starting point. You can do a rather cheap upgrade during the summer/winter sale.

Would be a first for me yeah. Think ill grab it now and hope that everything gets pulled together on the cheap eventually.

fantomena

Just got a Steam update:

Code:
We have just updated the beta, with the following changes: 

- change Steam to not require a restart when going from offline mode to online mode at login time 
- fixed cases where the client could become stuck in Offline Mode 
- fixed timeout error uploading or downloading Workshop items to the Steam Cloud 
- fixed bug that prevented login after encountering a network error 
- fixed loading sound caches for Zombie Panic Source Mod

Big Picture: 

- Decreased texture memory usage and increased performance in some scenarios where parts of the UI are transformed offscreen 
- Added new multi-user login and create account UIs 
- Added shutdown UI 
- Added Go Offline / Go Online to the Quit UI 
- Added network connectivity error UI during login 
- Improved OpenGL renderer (used on OSX and Linux), added support for more complex gradient types, fixed inset shadow renderering and fixed jittering of some effects due to float to int rounding 

Linux: 

- Fix overlay crash on non-Steam app shutdown. 
- Big Picture mode store can show Linux support icons. 
- Fix Steam crash on systems with no USB support. 
- Fix game shortcut names for games with non-ASCII letters in the name. 
- Fix some Big Picture crashes playing YouTube videos. 
- Improve Steam client support for XFS and large drives. 
- Fixed web browsing while in offline mode to load the proper offline mode page

bronson

Someone just put up a shit-ton of Spelunky emoticons and backgrounds for 4 cents. I grabbed them all. What makes someone do that? Rich kids feeling generous after they've crafted a level 5 badge?

Anyone pick up that Duke Nukem/Shadow Warrior bundle? Opinions?

I already own Duke Nukem through GoG so I just picked up Shadow Warrior. It's nice to play one of these old schools shooters without having to boot it up through DOSbox for once. Mouse aiming works out of the box and they redid the menus so they also work with the mouse. The UI also looks nice and crisp in widescreen.

Took my time going through the first mission in the Dunwall dlc, spent around 3 hours in that area only to leave and find out via the end mission stats that somewhere along the way I killed one person ;-;

Turfster

Took my time going through the first mission in the Dunwall dlc, spent around 3 hours in that area only to leave and find out via the end mission stats that somewhere along the way I killed one person ;-;

You murderer. But yeah, after I spent like, 7? hours in Dunwall, I laughed at all the people that said it wasn't worth it for "only" 3 levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom