• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addnan

Steam Trades I'd recommend over TF2 Outpost if you're wary about being scammed as there's a clear positive/negative feedback system (e.g. someone with a +150/+0 rating has been given the tick of approval 150 times).

You can't really be scammed in tftoutpost though. If the seller reverses payment on something you traded for steam will reverse the trade. Just make sure you are getting what you asked for.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You can't really be scammed in tftoutpost though. If the seller reverses payment on something you traded for steam will reverse the trade. Just make sure you are getting what you asked for.

Ah, I wasn't aware that a trade is automatically reversed if the seller initiates a chargeback on the traded item. I'd assumed that's something you'd need to hit up Support about.

Addnan

Ah, I wasn't aware that a trade is automatically reversed if the seller initiates a chargeback on the traded item. I'd assumed that's something you'd need to hit up Support about.

I wasn't sure either. Then I check with Dunder and then steam rule book. I'm not sure if its automatic anymore, this suggests automatic, but then says about contacting support. Hmm.

What if I redeemed a game from a trade that is fraudulently purchased?

If this happens, the account where the fraud took place will be suspended. Your account will not be suspended, however the game you redeemed/unpacked to your account will be removed. We will restore the items/gifts that were associated with the trade that you performed to receive the game. If you did not trade any items/gifts for the game directly then we are not able to restore anything to your account (i.e. if the game was a gift). Please contact Steam Support if a game that you traded for is missing from your inventory or account.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9958-MJDG-3003#scampolicy

Can't remember who gifted it (sorry) but just finished playing Cave Story.

Really enjoyable six hours or so despite a few quibbles here and there. If you passed it up like me for a long time, I recommend giving it a go.

Deques

I wasn't sure either. Then I check with Dunder and then steam rule book. I'm not sure if its automatic anymore, this suggests automatic, but then says about contacting support. Hmm.

It says nothing that the trade will be reversed.
Last year when I got scammed, the trade was not reversed. It took me one month to lesson the Steam support that I have the right to get my games back. Yet I only got one of three games back, since I had a receipt for it

Addnan

Last year when I got scammed, the trade was not reversed. It took me one month to lesson the Steam support that I have the right to get my games back. Yet I only got one of three games back, since I had a receipt for it

'We will restore the items/gifts that were associated with the trade that you performed to receive the game.'

Deques

'We will restore the items/gifts that were associated with the trade that you performed to receive the game.'

The support still didn't restore all gifts. I had to give them a receipt for all purchased games. Since at that time I trade quite a lot I did not have receipt for all gifts that were in that trade

JaseC

Ah, good-o.

The support still didn't restore all gifts. I had to give them a receipt for all purchased games. Since at that time I trade quite a lot I did not have receipt for all gifts that were in that trade

Perhaps that the was policy of the time or a case of a Support staff member not being acutely familiar with the terms and conditions: some people have had Support refuse to remove games from their account even though it's explicitly stated in the SSA that a user can terminate subscriptions by their own volition, for instance, which is why I recommend people quote that section verbatim when submitting such a request.

Uiki

The ghost is a real annoyance. I I like to explore and that causes me issues

The ghost is essential to high scores.

He can
turn normal gems into diamonds.

2:30 is a LOT of time for exploring. It really becomes a pain in the ass just in world 4.

Deques

Ah, good-o.

Perhaps that the was policy of the time or a case of a Support staff member not being acutely familiar with the terms and conditions: some people have had Support refuse to remove games from their account even though it's explicitly stated in the SSA that a user can terminate subscriptions by their own volition, for instance, which is why I recommend people quote that section verbatim when submitting such a request.

At that time trading has been around for almost a year. I would say that the staff members would know their company's policy by that time. The policy seems to be same as it was then as it is now.
Another note, just checked my ticket with the support. I didn't even receive the gifts at all. I got money back instead.

Anyway, I think it's all about who you will help you if you got scammed. Some might know the policy, some might be dumbasses. So I suggest to copy and paste the entire policy several times to get your gifts back

Correct, Steam really are assholes about this and I've had "second-hand" experience with friends who had issues with fraudulently purchased games.
It took like 3 weeks before they restored a gift, which they refused to do at first.

This extremely bad and unhelpful support from Steam blows my mind, when they are so huge in this market.
They have no support phone, they have no live chat support and if something happens, have fun waiting 1 week for a reply and even then it's often just an automated reply which have nothing to with the support ticket.
More often then not they have denied our rights and in some cases even straight out lied.

If this was like Amazon or any other retailer, there would be big headlines every other day.

JaseC

At that time trading has been around for almost a year. I would say that the staff members would know their company's policy by that time. The policy seems to be same as it was then as it is now.
Another note, just checked my ticket with the support. I didn't even receive the gifts at all. I got money back instead.

Anyway, I think it's all about who you will help you if you got scammed. Some might know the policy, some might be dumbasses. So I suggest to copy and paste the entire policy several times to get your gifts back

You'd be surprised. Consistency isn't exactly Steam Support's strong suit.

Correct, Steam really are assholes about this and I've had "second-hand" experience with friends who had issues with fraudulently purchased games.
It took like 3 weeks before they restored a gift, which they refused to do at first.

This extremely bad and unhelpful support from Steam blows my mind, when they are so huge in this market.
They have no support phone, they have no live chat support and if something happens, have fun waiting 1 week for a reply and even then it's often just an automated reply which have nothing to with the support ticket.
More often then not they have denied our rights and in some cases even straight out lied.

If this was like Amazon or any other retailer, there would be big headlines every other day.

Yeah, Valve's limited support options is an unfortunate consequence of the desire to keep a tight-knit corporate culture. It'd probably be begrudgingly acceptable if internal support resulted in better service, but alas.

Caerith

What's a guard break? Kicking the enemies to break their defense? And the backstab was with RB, right? I can't seem to make it work, they always hear me and turn around whenever I'm near.

Parrying is hard too. I can only make it work like 1 out of 10 times. Never know exactly when to press LT, and whether I should tap RB at the same time, immediately after or a few seconds later.
You know how your stamina is drained when you block a hit? Blunt weapons drain more stamina. Using a club or mace against enemies who like to block all the time is a valid strategy for staggering them and killing them instead of the poke poke dance.

Backstab is R1. Practice it on the undead just above the shrine, just go up the stairs and keep your shield up and spend time circling them until you can get the backstab to work. I think you need to lower your shield before you R1 though or it won't work.

Parrying is hard. If you can master it, Dark Souls will be easy for you. R1 as soon as the parry succeeds and they're staggered. Practice makes perfect.

I think Valve is too small a company to manage Steam. I get the impression they have like two people handling all customer support issues, and each working only two days a week and reporting to different managers and clueless as to the actual policies.

Just had a discussion with a friend, who said "games aren't made for PC anymore, they're made for consoles". I then pointed out to him that with the money he spends on one game, I bought nearly twenty during the summer sale.

I think I officially switched sides at this point. :lol

Addnan

I've contacted support twice since joining. First time didn't get a reply, this was a few years ago. Second time I contacted them was Christmas sale 2012 asking for a refund and got a reply within a few hours.

Dingotech

I've earned 4.50 or so from card sales all day, but it seems I'm about to hit my market limit for the year unless I provide details to steam, oh well...

Maybe I should just spend real $$ to make up the difference for Spelunky.

Kifimbo

Update on a Greenlit game:

Lastly, I have some Agarest news for you all. Thanks to the hard work of the guys at Laughing Jackal along with our intrepid band of beta testers, we are now fast approaching our first Agarest: Generation of War PC master candidate. We’ve been busy squashing the last few remaining bugs as well as integrating the DLC, so this means that while we’re not quite there yet, we’re not too far off being able to announce a release date.

http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/a-look-at-the-devil-survivor-2-gold-edition

Kifimbo

I didn't know Microsoft still had a PC gaming division. Hopefully Holtman will be able to set things straight over there.

Holtman to bring Microsoft 360 games on Steam ! He wasn't fired by Valve, he's just working behind the scenes at Microsoft.

FloatOn

I posted this to the steam group and I'll go ahead and post it here as well. I've been kicking around the idea of setting up a steamGAF mibbit IRC channel so that we can all discuss steam related things in real time in addition to the quality material that is posted here.

I know there is a group chat function in Steam but I'm also sure that I'm not the only office worker that isn't allowed to install the client to access such a good feature. It would be a good way to pass the time if nothing else.

let me know.

edit: also I don't know if posting this violates any rules but if it does I will edit this message into oblivion.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Steam Trades I'd recommend over TF2 Outpost if you're wary about being scammed as there's a clear positive/negative feedback system (e.g. someone with a +150/+0 rating has been given the tick of approval 150 times).
I was looking at that site last night. Saw that pretty much every gift trade asks for TF2 keys or refined (no idea what they are), but according to the Steam Market the cheaper key can be bought for around $2.50. So when someone wants 5 keys for Spelunky, it's actually not a good price at all.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You know how your stamina is drained when you block a hit? Blunt weapons drain more stamina. Using a club or mace against enemies who like to block all the time is a valid strategy for staggering them and killing them instead of the poke poke dance.

Backstab is R1. Practice it on the undead just above the shrine, just go up the stairs and keep your shield up and spend time circling them until you can get the backstab to work. I think you need to lower your shield before you R1 though or it won't work.

Parrying is hard. If you can master it, Dark Souls will be easy for you. R1 as soon as the parry succeeds and they're staggered. Practice makes perfect.
Thanks for the tips! Enemies have stamina too? That sounds useful.

I have no idea where's the shrine you're referring to. Still haven't learned the names of the places, weapons and enemies :p

EDIT: c'mon, why did you guys let me double post?

HoosTrax

but according to the Steam Market the cheaper key can be bought for around $2.50.
Mann Co price for TF2 keys is $2.50.
Steam Community Market price for TF2 keys is currently $2.15 (it was as low at $1.80 during the Summer sale due to the special crates being dropped that used a special key instead of the regular crate key)

Grief.exe

Rionaa for Backstabbing, I believe you have to be directly behind them with no space in between you and the enemy.
You cant be moving when you stab either, let go of the stick and hit rb.

strafer

Thanks!

eumEvCv.jpg

Does anyone know what Wanted or Tracker was? It was in the games list when Valve first revealed Steam in 2002:

Oh, want old vomit green Steam back. :(

Question about Guacamole, is the game supposed to move lightning speed or is something wrong with my computer. Rogue Legacy randomly started moving lightning speed as well, so that is why I am presuming something is up with my computer.

Uiki

I was looking at that site last night. Saw that pretty much every gift trade asks for TF2 keys or refined (no idea what they are), but according to the Steam Market the cheaper key can be bought for around $2.50. So when someone wants 5 keys for Spelunky, it's actually not a good price at all.

In euro: 5x1.58= 7.9 €.

Spelunky is 12.59 €. Same thing for Guacamelee.

Seems good to me.

Caerith

I have no idea where's the shrine you're referring to. Still haven't learned the names of the places, weapons and enemies :p

EDIT: c'mon, why did you guys let me double post?
Firelink Shrine, the main hub area you start at after the Asylum.. You know when you go up those stairs and there are a handful of like level 1 undead just hanging out? They're not bad for practicing on (although the ones outside the chapel are better IMO).

And yeah, most enemies are bound by the same mechanics you are. They'll parry and backstab you, too.

Autofokus

What kind of trades? When I trade a bunch of tf2keys for a gift, I don't get any receipt. I assumed everything gets reversed if something bad happens.

HoosTrax

Question about Guacamole, is the game supposed to move lightning speed or is something wrong with my computer. Rogue Legacy randomly started moving lightning speed as well, so that is why I am presuming something is up with my computer.
I haven't seen that issue myself.

I did run into issues with Rogue Legacy where some enemies moved at lightning speed because that game is unable to handle >60fps properly (animation speeds go out of whack).

Guacamelee, on the other hand, doesn't appear to have those issues at 144fps, so something else must be wrong in your case.

I haven't seen that issue myself.

I did run into issues with Rogue Legacy where some enemies moved at lightning speed because that game is unable to handle >60fps properly (animation speeds go out of whack).

Guacamelee, on the other hand, doesn't appear to have those issues at 144fps, so something else must be wrong in your case.

Hmm, I think it happened when I changed my battery setting on my laptop from balanced to performance, not sure why though.

Acccent

Shrine is Firelink Shrine I guess, the very first area :)

For backstabs, you have to exit out of lock on (not sure if it's necessary, but I find it a lot easier that way). Just keep locked-on, circle around the enemy until they try attacking and get vulnerable, and if you managed to dodge that and can get behing them quickly press RS to de-lock and RB to backstab.
You can stealth some enemies if they're not facing you and you go near them while walking slowly, but you do have to get fairly close and press RB before they turn around. Basically they turn around as soon as you get within the backstab range so you can quickly press RB as soon as they start moving and still land the backstab.

For parries, yeah, LB and if the enemy is stunned and you hear the sound effect, press RB to counterattck. The timing isn't super severe but you do have to do it right away and you must be real close. Not all attacks can be parried either, you should practice against sweeps rather than thrusts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom