• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Now I feel bad... I want more potential free money, Gaben!
(I also don't want to think about what your initial investment would be for that many drops ;)

At least 50 card games or so were in cheap indie bundles, so maybe he didn't spend that much. I know this because 99% of the games on my boyfriend's Steam account are from indie bundles I've activated and I still need to idle over 50 games there and take the cards for myself (but I haven't even finished idling my own yet).

On that note I've stopped crafting badges for games where the cards are worth 40+ cents for weeks now and started accepting the money Valve's been trying to give me. So far it's paid for Spelunky & Guacamelee for myself and Castlevania for a friend.

Edit: This also reminds me that I've kind of started secondarily collecting games on my bf's account in addition to my own. Help me.

oipic

So is phil fish really gone, thought he'd settle down by now?

Still can't help but feel it's all part of the Phil Fish 'show' - none of which should detract from or reflect on his creations, I feel, but ultimately, it seems to.

(Disclaimer: I shamefully still don't have/haven't played Fez)

Salsa

D4214204EF6E7CDEB6B6D52EEB28ECE8936BD5FC

welp fuck being subtle

day 1 on Pacman, arcade stick woot

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
That kind of humor works if not handled poorly.

I've yet to play the game though.

It's handled poorly. They just literally slap every reference they can possible think of all over the place non stop.

"Trolololololol" is also an actual line of dialog in the game and one of your special moves is called the "derp dash".

It's a really good game but the writing and humor are beyond awful.

It's handled poorly. They just literally slap every reference they can possible think of all over the place non stop.

"Trolololololol" is also an actual line of dialog in the game and one of your special moves is called the "derp dash".

It's a really good game but the writing and humor are beyond awful.

I wonder what you think about Borderlands 2.

oipic

I did not realize how close we are to Steam Announcements and Updates 2013 V

True, this thread has moved along pretty quickly, post-sale.

Do you have a theme in mind, Grief, assuming you'll once again be working your magic with the next thread? SteamGAF eagerly awaits a sneak peak of your next header graphic etc.

Unlike Quacamelee, Borderlands 2 doesn't have good gameplay to help buffer the awful writing.

Or more simply, Borderlands 2 is a steaming pile of festering dogshit.

Great. I like you.

I also thought that BL2 was shit.

Guacamelee feels like a Nintendo game for me so i have no problem with those references at all. But those Meme references... ugh. Payday 1 had those and it wasnt great either.

Salsa

Tell me why its racist. I havent played it for long so i cant judge about that.

oh man, I talked to death about this quite a few pages ago, too lazy to find it

to sum it up: I get that its fair ground cause its satire, but the whole mexican cliche stereotype stuff just kinda does nothing for me other than going all "oh c'mon" cause its been done to death and its becoming boring

luchadores! tacos! blabla

I know this wouldnt be the game to do it cause it revolves around it so this is besides the point, but i'd like a game taking place in mexico (or any other place for that matter) where characters are not straight up speedy gonzales type caricatures

to sum it up: I get that its fair ground cause its satire, but the whole mexican cliche stereotype stuff just kinda does nothing for me other than going all "oh c'mon" cause its been done to death and its becoming boring

I know this wouldnt be the game to do it cause it revolves around it so this is besides the point, but i'd like a game taking place in mexico (or any other place for that matter) where characters are not straight up speedy gonzales type caricatures

Using stereotypes in games... thats nothing new. Look at those evil germans(Sometimes i feel really offended by this stuff. One german in the Story. He is clearly the evil guy. Oh he really is.) and russians in games. Even japanese people are using stereotypes on women (Tsundere and what they are all called). You will never find a fictitious person in a game or movie that is not build on stereotypes. You have your hero that is strong. The princess that isnt etc.

The Stuff Valve put in TF2 isnt great either. "Oktoberfest" screams the Medic when he drinks out of his Medigun. As if every german is a fucking alcoholic.

You just have to ignore it. Its not worth the time.

Ledsen

I don't get it. Isn't Guacamelee basically realistically Mexican? I've seen the movies, pretty sure I know what goes on over there.

Salsa

Using stereotypes in games... thats nothing new. Look at those evil germans(Sometimes i feel really offended by this stuff. One german in the Story. He is clearly the evil guy. Oh he really is.) and russians in games. Even japanese people are using stereotypes on women (Tsundere and what they are all called). You will never find a fictitious person in a game or movie that is not build on stereotypes. You have your hero that is strong. The princess that isnt etc.

The Stuff Valve put in TF2 isnt great either. "Oktoberfest" screams the Medic when he drinks out of his Medigun. As if every german is a fucking alcoholic.

You just have to ignore it. Its not worth the time.

sure, I just think skome games go further than others

oipic

I find BL2 to be good, dumb fun (although I may be easily pleased). Have only ever played it solo, but when I just feel like shooting things, and not thinking too much, it meets that need. I'm open to alternatives, though, if anyone can suggest some?

Borderlands 2 ended up being the third highest amount of time I've put into a game on Steam clocking at 103 hours. The game is complete fluff and aside from feeling like Magneto due to Siren's skillset there's nothing about it I think is particularly noteworthy. I wouldn't have been able to put that much time into it were I not co-oping it with a friend the entire way through.

But I could attribute the same criticism to most loot ARPGs, it's just in an FPS format where it feels especially shallow. It's just really good for vegging out with friends for stretches if nothing else.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I think Borderlands 1 was the beginning of the end for lootfiend games for me. It was while I was playing it that I began to sort of notice the seams with the whole genre and I wasn't able to enjoy it as much. Borderlands 2 was much better when it came to writing but damn I did not feel compelled whatsoever to play once my first group stopped playing. Something off about it I can't quite put to words.

Peacock fron Skullgirls reminds me a bit of Platinum the Trinity from BlazBlue with the item dropping.

Really enjoying the game though, although I spent an hour on one of the tutorial combos which is embarrassing.

Also: Squiggly is rad but I could never play her with all the charge up attacks. Too much!

Guacamelee feels like a Nintendo game in nothing but the gameplay tbh. And it never struck me as racist either, it's just dumb.

Luckily the gameplay, music and artstyle are a blast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom