• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

I just pushed version 4.1 of Enhanced Steam to Google so Chrome users should be getting it soon. Here is the changelog:

• Adds automatic language settings detection
  • Adds marketplace transaction summary to market homepage
  • Fixes a bug where coupons were showing incorrect expiration dates
  • Optimized some code for faster loading
  • Adds a "Remove from wishlist" button the app page of wishlisted items

As always, let me know if you have any problems!

For info, the bug with the market transactions is correctly fixed.
YAvZKM0.png

However, there is a discrepancy between the total spent on the market above and below:

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Well, sometimes random Steam adds can be... interesting, to say the least:

5:12 AM - SuperFrendlyDude: i wanna be just frendly that's all
5:13 AM - SuperFrendlyDude: if am i booring just tell me i will stop
5:16 AM - SuperFrendlyDude: cn i help u whit something
5:16 AM - SuperFrendlyDude: i can do whatewer u wan't
5:18 AM - SuperFrendlyDude: just don't ask me where is my dad ok
5:18 AM - Xelios: umm why not?
5:18 AM - SuperFrendlyDude: becouse i don't have one and i don't wanna talk about it

Salsa

5:18 AM - SuperFrendlyDude: becouse i don't have one and i don't wanna talk about it

look pussy

someone's totally gonna forget this reference and im gonna end up banned you bigpussybiiitch

I guess you are too nice to people. That must be why you get all the random adds, that and the free games.

Freezard

Using stereotypes in games... thats nothing new. Look at those evil germans(Sometimes i feel really offended by this stuff. One german in the Story. He is clearly the evil guy. Oh he really is.) and russians in games.

On the other hand the genius/mad scientists are almost always German, so at least you got that. It's like Swedes always being dumb in movies (or making fun of penguins/ice bears). But actually Russia are portrayed as heroes in CoH2 and a few other war games.

I have spent like 500 hours on Pacman DX CE (I was in the WW top 100 at one point...) and now I want the Steam version for the extra stages :'(

Milamber

PacMan DX looks like a title that Wario would dominate us all in the leaderboards with.

I may need an arcade stick for this game... Can a Flight Stick work?

HoosTrax

That same kid added me as well.
[7:29:07 PM] SuperFrendlyDude: hey
[7:29:13 PM] HoosTrax: heya
[7:29:25 PM] SuperFrendlyDude: i am Teo
[7:29:39 PM] HoosTrax: hi, i'm lily :p
[7:29:48 PM] SuperFrendlyDude: nice to meet u
[7:29:48 PM] HoosTrax: how did you find me anyway lol
[7:30:00 PM] SuperFrendlyDude: searching some frends
[7:30:05 PM] HoosTrax: ah i see
[7:30:08 PM] SuperFrendlyDude: xD
[7:30:13 PM] SuperFrendlyDude: are u an girl
[7:30:18 PM] HoosTrax: ya
[7:30:23 PM] SuperFrendlyDude: oh :3
[7:30:38 PM] HoosTrax: what oh lol
[7:30:57 PM] SuperFrendlyDude: girl and gamer
[7:31:02 PM] SuperFrendlyDude: i like it xD
[7:31:19 PM] HoosTrax: hehe, they do exist
[7:31:27 PM] SuperFrendlyDude: i see that
[7:31:52 PM] SuperFrendlyDude: i GTG now
[7:31:56 PM] SuperFrendlyDude: cee ya
Seems harmless enough so far...but I'm really curious who this friend that he found me through is. He hasn't started begging me for free games or TF2 items yet, so I guess he can stay for now...

---

Ok so Guacamelee. Very enjoyable so far (I'm at the last area right now and 9 hours in). It's more of a demanding platformer than I expected, and there's at least one optional Super Meat Boy-esque section that looks like it would rival the infamous Veni Vidi Vici level from VVVVVV in terms of difficulty. It also has a bit of a fighter feel to it with the juggling and combos.

ArjanN

oh man, I talked to death about this quite a few pages ago, too lazy to find it

to sum it up: I get that its fair ground cause its satire, but the whole mexican cliche stereotype stuff just kinda does nothing for me other than going all "oh c'mon" cause its been done to death and its becoming boring

luchadores! tacos! blabla

Says man from South America with 'Salsa' in his username.

;)

Gvaz

Banned
Borderlands 2 ended up being the third highest amount of time I've put into a game on Steam clocking at 103 hours. The game is complete fluff and aside from feeling like Magneto due to Siren's skillset there's nothing about it I think is particularly noteworthy. I wouldn't have been able to put that much time into it were I not co-oping it with a friend the entire way through.

But I could attribute the same criticism to most loot ARPGs, it's just in an FPS format where it feels especially shallow. It's just really good for vegging out with friends for stretches if nothing else.

See, you put in 103 hours. I saw this with borderlands 1, gave up after level 10. Tried borderlands 2. didn't even get to level 10. Tried to pick it up again, and it was only fun when playing with friends.

Playing by myself however, i'd rather jump off a bridge.

It's handled poorly. They just literally slap every reference they can possible think of all over the place non stop.

"Trolololololol" is also an actual line of dialog in the game and one of your special moves is called the "derp dash".

It's a really good game but the writing and humor are beyond awful.

To be fair, if you have to put references anywhere, the background is easily the best place for it. It'd probably be better if it was just store names and not posters and stuff, but I'll let it slide.

Still, there isn't a good excuse for the Trololol or the Derp Dash.

To be fair, if you have to put references anywhere, the background is easily the best place for it. It'd probably be better if it was just store names and not posters and stuff, but I'll let it slide.

Still, there isn't a good excuse for the Trololol or the Derp Dash.

It is only backround stuff and only in one town of the game. Plus, it's more like 50% meme stuff and 50% game references (like Zelda or Super Mario). The trololol and Derp Dash are the only memes that aren't in the backround and even then it's only one line of dialogue and one special move name.

I can get that some people are bothered by seeing this stuff in game but it isn't something that should prevent a person from enjoying the combat, exploration or the art style.

It is only backround stuff and only in one town of the game. Plus, it's more like 50% meme stuff and 50% game references (like Zelda or Super Mario). The trololol and Derp Dash are the only memes that aren't in the backround and even then once it's only one line of dialogue and one special move name.

I can get that some people are bothered by seeing this stuff in game but it isn't something that should prevent a person from enjoying the combat, exploration or the art style.

I thought there were a few references in the first town as well.

But yeah, it is a really good game.

It is only backround stuff and only in one town of the game. Plus, it's more like 50% meme stuff and 50% game references (like Zelda or Super Mario). The trololol and Derp Dash are the only memes that aren't in the backround and even then once it's only one line of dialogue and one special move name.

Honestly, I didn't even notice half the references; I'm oblivious to stuff like that.

I really enjoyed the gameplay; I played through it in coop with the girlfriend and it was a ton of fun.

Grief.exe

I would also like to throw in my displeasure for BL2.

True, this thread has moved along pretty quickly, post-sale.

Do you have a theme in mind, Grief, assuming you'll once again be working your magic with the next thread? SteamGAF eagerly awaits a sneak peak of your next header graphic etc.

Probably going to stick with the SS2 theme for a while.

Until I feel like making more or I get some inspiration.

Its actually a good amount of work since there is about 30 or so banners and icons.
It will take significantly less time now that I have the pipeline set up.

oh man, I talked to death about this quite a few pages ago, too lazy to find it

to sum it up: I get that its fair ground cause its satire, but the whole mexican cliche stereotype stuff just kinda does nothing for me other than going all "oh c'mon" cause its been done to death and its becoming boring

luchadores! tacos! blabla

I know this wouldnt be the game to do it cause it revolves around it so this is besides the point, but i'd like a game taking place in mexico (or any other place for that matter) where characters are not straight up speedy gonzales type caricatures

I'm not an english major or anything,
I chose a major that is actually lucrative ;)
I have noticed in various forms of media, books movies, games, TV shows, etc, that characters become a caricature of themselves.

They don't protest a normal person or location, but they become exaggerated in such a way to more easily portray a personality.

Gbraga

Just found out we're getting a Van Helsing II :D

Great news, can't wait, the first was great, if they make it even better with more budget (assuming the sales were good, of course), it'll be awesome.

I hope co-op works this time though

Momentary

Banned
Just looked on my Humble account and found an extra beta key for Skullgirls.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this Steam thread and fewer than five posts in the immediate previous Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Skullgirls -- MB-CA96740EBD4E5E8B - Taken by fokkusu

Grief.exe

Sigh

What's up with that Day Z mod on Steam? It doesn't seem up to date....

Any word on the update?

Download DayZ Commander for the mod, that will keep it up to date.

As for the Standalone, they have another milestone test at the end of August for the client/server. If everything passes, we will see the Standalone in early September.

The artists have been working hard on updating the map and objects while the programmers rewrite the engine. Looks gorgeous.

tumblr_mqxpuoeFrJ1rd90z0o6_1280.png

tumblr_mqxpuoeFrJ1rd90z0o8_1280.png

tumblr_mqxpuoeFrJ1rd90z0o9_1280.png

fantomena

Lol so much for Halo 2 Steam. Frankie probably killed the project just to be a dick.

Fankie don't want money confirmed.

I seriously don't understand why they don't want to release Halo 1,2,3 or at least the first 2 games on Steam for the time being since they already are on PC. Is there a contract or something? Have MS any idea how much money they are gonna make?

Overdoziz

Banned
Fankie don't want money confirmed.

I seriously don't understand why they don't want to release Halo 1,2,3 or at least the first 2 games on Steam for the time being since they already are on PC. Is there a contract or something? Have MS any idea how much money they are gonna make?
They didn't even bother putting it up for digital purchase on their GFWL store so that shows you how little they care about Halo on PC.

They didn't even bother putting it up for digital purchase on their GFWL store so that shows you how little they care about Halo on PC.

Which is baffling. You can bet they'll be re-releasing everything on the Xbox One at one point. And since so many people are migrating to PC, it's just weird that they don't recognize the market they could be playing with.

I was supposed to post this a while ago, but I got distracted. As a result, you only have a couple minutes to enter.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this Steam thread and fewer than five posts in the immediate previous Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Skullgirls Beta -- MB-F4597572A231BC70 - Taken by DaBoss

fantomena

migrating to PC

That's one of the biggest things here. A lot of guys in my class who has been console-only gamers on their entire lfie (like myself) are jumping over to PC gaming. I jumped over to PC gaming about 4 years ago and it's the best gaming decision ever. I still use my consoles, but the PC is getting most use in terms of gaming.

An example is that I had a pro-Xbox fanboy in my class who is now a PC-only gamer, he even sold his Xbox 360including al lhis X360 games to set him ready for the summer sale.

Just finished Guacamelee, clearly an excellent game. I'm kinda disappointed by the ending though, is there an alternate one in the game ? The ending is kinda weird so that's why I'm asking.

Anyone got any tricks for making money in Guacamelee?

Go. Hunt. Kill Skeletons.

That's honestly the best I have, besides seeking out chests.

Just finished Guacamelee, clearly an excellent game. I'm kinda disappointed by the ending though, is there an alternate one in the game ? The ending is kinda weird so that's why I'm asking.

I've read that there are at least two endings.

FloatOn

just built a tunnel to the jungle. good thing too because it's so much harder than the mines. practice makes perfect and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom