• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarmaCow

ExWcR1H.png

It's actually closer to 12 hours but I really enjoyed Guacamelee. Those last two achievements are for doing a Hard run, which I'll do later after a little break from the game. It was more a beat 'em up than a Metroid game but there were still some neat platforming puzzles and the combat was still fun. They were pretty shameless in aping some Metroid staples (Choozo was especially lazy) and while doing some Shinesparking-esque manoeuvres I wished they went even further. The game is still very unique even if on the surface it looks like it's straight copying other games and memes.

It's a shame that this seems to be forgotten due it coming out at the same time as Spelunky and Paper Please. While I don't think I would ever attempt it, I would be interested in seeing a speedrun of it at something like AGDQ. The progression was very linear but it felt like at moments there were places where you do some unintended sequence breaks.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
ExWcR1H.png

It's actually closer to 12 hours but I really enjoyed Guacamelee. Those last two achievements are for doing a Hard run, which I'll do later after a little break from the game. It was more a beat 'em up than a Metroid game but there were still some neat platforming puzzles and the combat was still fun. They were pretty shameless in aping some Metroid staples (Choozo was especially lazy) and while doing some Shinesparking-esque manoeuvres I wished they went even further. The game is still very unique even if on the surface it looks like it's straight copying other games and memes.

It's a shame that this seems to be forgotten due it coming out at the same time as Spelunky and Paper Please. While I don't think I would ever attempt it, I would be interested in seeing a speedrun of it at something like AGDQ. The progression was very linear but it felt like at moments there were places where you do some unintended sequence breaks.

It looks very fun, shame about some of the shitty writing I've been reading about. Though tbh it was the Manny skin that just about sold it to me.

KarmaCow

It looks very fun, shame about some of the shitty writing I've been reading about. Though tbh it was the Manny skin that just about sold it to me.

The story is just kinda there and it's fairly easy to ignore. There some moments with the characters that I didn't care for but I was playing this while listening to podcasts.

Zuggie

Neo Member
I'd also love to get an invite to the steam group.

Steam ID: Swatseal

I've caught the Dota 2 bug recently, but am not very good yet. If anyone wants to play a few games add me.

Edit: Thanks Wok for the invite

Caerith

After playing a few hours of Sacred Citadel, it seems kind of off, somehow. It feels too... gear and stat dependent. If I join a game where I'm underleveled, everything takes forever to kill. On the flip side, if someone really high level joins, bosses die insanely fast.

I'll probably still go through the entire thing, but I'm looking for recommendations for other online beat'em ups.

I know about Chronicles of Mystara and Castle Crashers, but are there any others?
Well, Dragon's Crown just came out, but it's Sony-exclusive.

Grief.exe

Is KOF XIII an easy fighter to pick up and play ? I may buy it when it hits Steam but it's mainly to play with friends when they come to my place and they don't play fighting games at all. Are special moves easy to do ? Can it be enjoyed by someone who hasn't a single idea of what he's doing (like Tekken) ?

I feel like MK is one of the best pick up and play fighters. Combos are easy, fatalities are fun.

I literally know nothing about fighting games.

I am so ready for Sir You Are Being Hunted. Anyone know if it will be $20 on Early Access as well?

No pricing information was in that article. And since that was written by the game's producer, I'm sure there hasn't been any released.

I would imagine it will be more expensive than the Kickstarter purchase. You don't want to alienate those who bought in early.

Copons

Before I played Runner 2, I also thought that without the frustration it wouldn't be as fun. I don't know exactly why, but somehow it still is.

Frustration is (obviously) not fun when the game is "wrong", like when in some ways tricks the player to fail. I think, but I'm in clear minority here, when you have to calculate jump distances in Mirror's Edge, or when you inadvertently switch bidimensional level in Little Big Planet. These stuff plainly aren't intended by the game and, at least for me, they ruins how I enjoy playing it.

In Runner everything is "open-face". When a mischievously hidden obstacle hits you it's always your fault, never the game's.
Also, all the try and retry and retry, is part of how this game should be played. You may not like it, you may of course find it frustrating, but it isn't frustrating per se, as it's more a mnemonic exercise than anything else (yes, you need reflexes and coordination, but in some ways they come second).

Apparently, it's all kinds of fucked up. I've read somewhere that they sent 2000 keys for the 30000 bundles or something.

Seriously? They stated that once the game is greenlighted, you will receive a steam key, no matter how bundles they sold, that's bs!

Thanks man for the info!

Is KOF XIII an easy fighter to pick up and play ? I may buy it when it hits Steam but it's mainly to play with friends when they come to my place and they don't play fighting games at all. Are special moves easy to do ? Can it be enjoyed by someone who hasn't a single idea of what he's doing (like Tekken) ?

Most top players will tell you how good Kof13 is as a fighting game. However very few actually played it because of the difficulty and investment required.

Street fighter 4 is still your best bet for casual multiplayer play on steam. Single player would be MK9.

Seriously? They stated that once the game is greenlighted, you will receive a steam key, no matter how bundles they sold, that's bs!

Thanks man for the info!

Could cynically suggest they will takes as long as they can to sort it out. That is a lot of "lost" sales (I wouldn't actually buy or play it despite owning the bundle)

Turfster

Thanks man for the info!

I'm going by stuff I read on the internets, so take with the appropriate truckload of salt. There's also stuff where they say they sent the keys to groupees, and people posting back groupees mails that say they haven't received anything yet, so...
I'm not going to hold my breath. If it appears, good. If it doesn't... eh.

ArjanN

But I actually dig frustration in games like Runner, I think it's the very foundation of their whole gameplay.
Without that, players won't really apply themselves retrying over and over again to beat that fucking part where there are 5-6 brown bouncing boxes alternating with 5-6 black ones and players start hating their lives.

Anyway, I find sincerely hilarious how the guy get hit in the crotch by every single brown bouncing box, especially those that fall without notice from above. I hope at least this one thing has been carried over to the sequel. :D

Runner 2 is way more forgiving, it's probably a bit too easy actually. Then again Runner 1 was too hard, some of those achievements were pretty insane.

I'm going by stuff I read on the internets, so take with the appropriate truckload of salt. There's also stuff where they say they sent the keys to groupees, and people posting back groupees mails that say they haven't received anything yet, so...
I'm not going to hold my breath. If it appears, good. If it doesn't... eh.

Most top players will tell you how good Kof13 is as a fighting game. However very few actually played it because of the difficulty and investment required.

Street fighter 4 is still your best bet for casual multiplayer play on steam. Single player would be MK9.

Could cynically suggest they will takes as long as they can to sort it out. That is a lot of "lost" sales (I wouldn't actually buy or play it despite owning the bundle)

Someone in the Groupees chat told me this

The developers sent 2000 keys, Shifty said they won't send out the keys until they have one for every purchaser of the bundle. So there's been no word yet on when that will be.

We will, it's just a matter of time. Probably won't be for a couple days, though, since I don't think the Groupees people work weekends.

Nabs

If you're in the Skullgirls beta, you should check the lobby system out. It's still really early, but you can now play with a group of friends (or randoms). Unlike other Lobby systems, you can have multiple games going at the same time. It's a nice way to get some practice in.

ArjanN

If you're just looking to have some fun throwing fireballs / dragon punching at each other with some friends, KoF13 really isn't any harder than SFIV, and worth getting.

Copons

Runner 2 is way more forgiving, it's probably a bit too easy actually. Then again Runner 1 was too hard, some of those achievements were pretty insane.

Excluding the "complete worlds at perfect" ones, the others are all unlocked just by playing and finishing the game, or retrying a couple of times the last boss (which as said before, is actually very easy, at least compared to the rest of the third world) doing something I don't want to spoiler, but they're super easy again. ^^

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
If you're in the Skullgirls beta, you should check the lobby system out. It's still really early, but you can now play with a group of friends (or randoms). Unlike other Lobby systems, you can have multiple games going at the same time. It's a nice way to get some practice in.

No more setting my region to Africa to play with friends. Excellent news.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
2013 is the year of indies: KRZ, The Cave, Proteus, Antichamber, La-Mulana, Papo & Yo, Don't Starve, Monaco, FEZ, Dust, The Swapper, Scrolls, Gunpoint, SpyParty, 7 Grand Steps, Wyv & Keep, The Splatters, Toki Tori 2, Papers Please, Spelunky, Guacamelee, Maia. And now, Gone Home, Sir You Are Being Hunted, Brothers: a Tale of two Sons, Ethan: Meteor Hunter, Escape Goat 2, Tetrobot, Shelter, Nidhogg, Chess the Gathering, Faerie Solitaire 2, The Novelist, The Witness, Octodad, Teslagrad, Morphopolis, maybe Owlboy, etc.
No Runner 2? Your list sucks!

Revisited Bit.Trip Runner 1 for the first time since mid-2011; it's not as difficult as I remember. It only took me 5 or 6 tries to beat the last boss again. And it's way uglier than I remember. So I maybe take back saying that I thought Bit.Trip Runner was the better game than Bit.Trip Runner 2--still wish the second game was harder, but I think it's probably the better game.
That's a shame. I went back to it a couple of days ago and thought it still looked nice, and played fine too.

Have you played the other Bit.Trips? Do yourself a favor and get Flux when it gets released on Steam. In fact, everyone should get it AND play it.

But I actually dig frustration in games like Runner, I think it's the very foundation of their whole gameplay.
Without that, players won't really apply themselves retrying over and over again to beat that fucking part where there are 5-6 brown bouncing boxes alternating with 5-6 black ones and players start hating their lives.

Anyway, I find sincerely hilarious how the guy get hit in the crotch by every single brown bouncing box, especially those that fall without notice from above. I hope at least this one thing has been carried over to the sequel. :D
No red/violet squares nor snakes (how I call those alternating patterns you described) in Runner 2, sadly :(

I would imagine it will be more expensive than the Kickstarter purchase. You don't want to alienate those who bought in early.

90 dollars confirmed

Also: Hate Plus's description on steam is one of the most annoying things I've ever read, can only hope it's satire. Played Analogue which had some interesting themes and was worth going through but I was really put off by the ending sequences where you basically take an AI for yourself almost as a dating game along with some of the dress up stuff. Very bizarre and contradictory towards the general theme of the game.

Copons

No Runner 2? Your list sucks!

That's a shame. I went back to it a couple of days ago and thought it still looked nice, and played fine too.

Have you played the other Bit.Trips? Do yourself a favor and get Flux when it gets released on Steam. In fact, everyone should get it AND play it.

Never understood how non-Runner Bit.Trip games work.
They all seems like some kind of rhythm/shooters, and I dunno, it seems I cannot force me to find some interest in them.

Going to wait and see if GMG offers anything for preordering Pacman CE DX+.
I played a shit-ton of the game when it first came out, I was even #1 in the world for a brief moment.

How can I know if a game has multiple versions? (like RU or ROW). If someone gives me a gift it should say which region it came from, right?

dot

90 dollars confirmed

Also: Hate Plus's description on steam is one of the most annoying things I've ever read, can only hope it's satire. Played Analogue which had some interesting themes and was worth going through but I was really put off by the ending sequences where you basically take an AI for yourself almost as a dating game along with some of the dress up stuff. Very bizarre and contradictory towards the general theme of the game.

It's a visual novel. Also you have to go out of your way for the dress up stuff so i don't see what the problem is.

Definitely, it works really well, the 15 second timer is kinda annoying to start the match, rather it be like 5. Getting some good practice in.

bender

What time is it?
I feel like MK is one of the best pick up and play fighters. Combos are easy, fatalities are fun.

I literally know nothing about fighting games.

No pricing information was in that article. And since that was written by the game's producer, I'm sure there hasn't been any released.

I wonder if the $20 pre-order on their website (via Humble?) will have a Steam key included.

http://www.big-robot.com/forum/showthread.php?90-Questions-And-Answers/page15

Nabs

Definitely, it works really well, the 15 second timer is kinda annoying to start the match, rather it be like 5. Getting some good practice in.

I guess they could add in some time options. I'd like if they added sounds so people would know when someone joins, or when that the timer is counting down. I've been in a few lobbies where people quit before the 15 seconds was up.

It's a visual novel. Also you have to go out of your way for the dress up stuff so i don't see what the problem is.

It's not really out of the way, I accessed it without trying. Just think it goes against the game's themes of patriarchy and submission of women when you can dress up one the main female characters in suggestive outfits without any real point made in doing so. Although if you do choose the maid one she will act sad and ask what is wrong with you or something of that nature. In any case, that wasn't my main issue, hell I put on the detective one because it was fun to look at. The endings are what struck me as just totally out of place and from another game. Choose which AI you want to have feelings for you! You even get one of those visual novel ending images, one for example being the ai's hand pressed against the computer screen in yearning. Just feel it really is at odds with what the rest of the game often does so well.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Never understood how non-Runner Bit.Trip games work.
They all seems like some kind of rhythm/shooters, and I dunno, it seems I cannot force me to find some interest in them.
You could try Beat. It's a twist on Pong, when you control a paddle that has to prevent the dots from reaching the left border of the screen. Or Void, where you control a black hole that has to grab the black dots and avoid the white ones. Or Fate, an on-rails (literally) twin-stick shooter.

But yeah, the whole series relies heavily on rhythm, with Core and Fate being shooters too (if you can call Core one, that is).

Yeah, nailing them is as rewarding as it can be.

Copons

You could try Beat. It's a twist on Pong, when you control a paddle that has to prevent the dots from reaching the left border of the screen. Or Void, where you control a black hole that has to grab the black dots and avoid the white ones. Or Fate, an on-rails (literally) twin-stick shooter.

But yeah, the whole series relies heavily on rhythm, with Core and Fate being shooters too (if you can call Core one, that is).

Thanks for all the infos!

I'm totally gonna check them out more deeply, or at least wait for something like a Humble Bit.Trip Bundle, who knows?

Yeah, nailing them is as rewarding as it can be.

It is, indeed.
But still, when you beat the first level where they appears (3-9 The Gauntlet IIRC) and you have to nail them again, and again and again in reverse... well, in those moments, my face, THAT, I'm quite sure, was "sad". :D

I guess they could add in some time options. I'd like if they added sounds so people would know when someone joins, or when that the timer is counting down. I've been in a few lobbies where people quit before the 15 seconds was up.

I'm going to play for about an hour if you or anyone else want's to play some. I'm veryyyyy beginner though. It's fun practicing at this :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom