• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, it is.
Did you read about the removal of jumping to only be "contextually acceptable"?

And rope arrows can only be fired where the game allows them?
so_good.gif

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I hope Half-Life 3 has QTE-filled cinematic sequences.
Becoming an action movie type game is the best thing that could possibly happen to HL3. It might be the first HL game to keep me awake.

Man, playing through Deus Ex 1 is almost too hard on my mind. Every single time I finish a level, I look up what I missed and I end with a lot of stuff. Stuff I didn't even think about doing.

The most obvious one is the interrogation sequence in UNATCO. When the Fed dude leaves Manderley's office and goes downstairs, I stayed on the same floor and got some supplies. Because of that, I missed the window where you follow him and enter the cell. From there you can directly talk to one of the prisoner and have a great conversation.

What? Hm.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Went for 6 and change during the summer sale.

All of the games are worth playing, so you should probably wait for that.

I didn't mean to imply it hasn't been cheaper. But, really, what's a couple of extra bucks for two of the finest games the stealth genre has to offer?

Grief.exe

You don't own the greatest stealth game of all time already?

I was playing N64 when that game was released!

I am 12 and what is this? Literally because I was 12 lol. That might not be a valid excuse, but I really had no idea how to consume compelling media back then.

If you don't want to wait around for a sale, there are traders offering the Thief Collection for 4 keys (~$8.60).

I have plenty of games in my library to hold out until then.

I didn't mean to imply it hasn't been cheaper. But, really, what's a couple of extra bucks for two of the finest games the stealth genre has to offer?

This is true.

I am 12 and what is this? Literally because I was 12 lol. That might not be a valid excuse, but I really had no idea how to consume compelling media back then.

That's about the age I was when I played it back in '01...my dad had just bought our first PC and my uncle lent me his copy of Thief 2.

It blew my mind...good times.

Okay. So while I get their whole deal about "missing a jump as a Master Thief makes no sense".... why can't you have jumping as well as context-jumps?

That to me makes the most sense.

Grief.exe

Okay. So while I get their whole deal about "missing a jump as a Master Thief makes no sense".... why can't you have jumping as well as context-jumps?

That to me makes the most sense.

Because it makes for significantly simpler level design.

They don't have to account for vertical movement except in those few situations where the developers put it in. Essentially, they don't have to design any vertical elements in their levels at all.

This also streamlines the game, makes it simpler for the lowest common denominator. If there are no vertical elements, then it is one less factor for people to get confused or lost in.

That 'missing a jump as a Master Thief makes no sense,' line is just there to disguise bad design as a feature. Marketing 101.

I'm going to bed, talk to you guys tomorrow.

Turfster

I still have my original discs for the thief trilogy (which I guess I'll start calling by that name from now on...) Strangely, I'd still double dip. What's wrong with me.

Because many of the AAA game designers these days are cowards.

I don't think it is cowardly to avoid huge financial risks.

I get what you are saying, but "cowardly" isn't the right word.

They don't have to account for vertical movement except in those few situations where the developers put it in. Essentially, they don't have to design any vertical elements in their levels at all.

This also streamlines the game, makes it simpler for the lowest common denominator. If there is no vertical elements, then it is one less factor for people to get confused or lost in.

That 'missing a jump as a Master Thief makes no sense,' line is just there to disguise bad design as a feature. Marketing 101.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

I still have my original discs for the thief trilogy (which I guess I'll start calling by that name from now on...) Strangely, I'd still double dip. What's wrong with me.

Making your steam library bigger is never a bad thing...at least that is what I told myself when I double dipped.

Making a Thief game is already a financial risk...why bother? The games didn't sell very well then and it probably won't now.

*edit* eh, double post...i need to stop posting. I should already be in bed.

Milamber

This also streamlines the game, makes it simpler for the lowest common denominator. If there is no vertical elements, then it is one less factor for people to get confused or lost in.

Far Cry 3 did it pretty well.

Tellaerin

I knew literally nothing about Sacred Citadel apart from it being connected to the Sacred series, and had zero expectations for it going in. (From the title, I was half-expecting it to be a tower defense spinoff or something.) Turns out it's a pretty solid scrolling beat-'em-up with some light RPG elements. I'm having a surprisingly good time with it.

Other companies need to release brawler spinoffs based on RPG's like this. I'd love to see a beat-'em-up in the Deus Ex universe, where you beat the change out of people, then duck into LIMB clinics to upgrade your cyberwear.

Tak3n

Banned
Got round to playing Alien Vs Predator, that I picked up in the Amazon sale a while back...

it looks damn decent playing in DX11 mode....

I am playing as predator mode, as I was not that impressed with Marine mode, Predator mode though is fantastic....

Nice to see them still supporting the game and updating it 3 years post release......Gearbox take note, who have now dropped all support for their Aliens game

Sajjaja

I knew literally nothing about Sacred Citadel apart from it being connected to the Sacred series, and had zero expectations for it going in. (From the title, I was half-expecting it to be a tower defense spinoff or something.) Turns out it's a pretty solid scrolling beat-'em-up with some light RPG elements. I'm having a surprisingly good time with it.

Other companies need to release brawler spinoffs based on RPG's like this. I'd love to see a beat-'em-up in the Deus Ex universe, where you beat the change out of people, then duck into LIMB clinics to upgrade your cyberwear.

Michael-scott-no-god-no.gif

Tellaerin

As a spinoff? Why not? Not like it'd have any effect on any main line titles or anything. And a brawler where you're a cyborg running around beating the living hell out of Belltower forces/Triads/whoever while uncovering clues about a conspiracy would probably still be a better DX game than IW was. >.>

Fair enough considering how good Thief 2 was...and how Looking Glass still died after it.

I think times have changed though and the "pie" is a much bigger one with things like steam. I would like to think that niche markets are now sustainable and growing fast enough to support titles such as that was.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
So should we start pretending that Dishonored is Thief 4?

Light and shadows don't even affect stealth/detection in Dishonored, while this is one of the primary elements of Thief, so not really.

Edit: Even though Dishonored very well may end up being a better game.

denx

Light and shadows don't even affect stealth/detection in Dishonored, while this is one of the primary elements of Thief, so not really.

Edit: Even though Dishonored very well may end up being a better game.

It seems though like Dishonored might still end up being the closest thing we get to a modern Thief(-like) game. :(

oipic

Nearing the end of System Shock 2 (well, from memory, 13 years is a long time, y'all)... but... so, so good. Still holds up, for sure.

To those that picked it up during the recent sale but are yet to tackle it, please do yourself a favour, mod the thing, and try to squeeze it into your backlog playlist sometime soon. Just be prepared to have your butt kicked a little (but in a satisfying way).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom