• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidguts

OaUhWAP.png

yeaboiiiiiiiiiiii. le memes aside, great little game. 100%ed it just in time, too - latest patch makes it run really funky for me. now to work on Spelunky..

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this Steam thread and fewer than five posts in the immediate previous Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Men of War: Assault Squad GOTY -- MB-D3B40180973589A4 - Taken by trailmix16
King's Bounty: The Legend -- MB-33DFA8A95C3E9936 - Taken by Cth

BruteUA

If you're referring to trading with keys (TF2 keys etc.) it's safe as even if the game was purchased fraudulently and got removed from your account, you would be reimbursed the keys, effectively getting your money back.

Just to expand on this a bit, I'm pretty sure to have this protection you have to exchange the keys and the game in the same trade. So if the seller wants you to give them the keys first, then they'll trade you in a separate trade later with the game, you may not be able to get the keys restored if something goes sour.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I just saw that Kingpin is available on Steam. I remember liking the demo back then, so maybe I'll use my card money to get it. Anything I should know about it before I do so?

OaUhWAP.png

yeaboiiiiiiiiiiii. le memes aside, great little game. 100%ed it just in time, too - latest patch makes it run really funky for me. now to work on Spelunky..
Would Hard be too hard for my first playthrough? I don't want to have to play it twice in order to 100% it (though I don't know if I'll be able to, anyway), but I also don't want to get frustrated due to excessive difficulty.

Voidguts

Would Hard be too hard for my first playthrough? I don't want to have to play it twice in order to 100% it (though I don't know if I'll be able to, anyway), but I also don't want to get frustrated due to excessive difficulty.

honestly I think it'd be pretty frustrating for your first time - bosses can get you in 3-4 hits (or less if you aren't diligent about finding health upgrades.) the game is pretty good about resetting you quickly, which makes it less of a pain to try over and over.. so maybe play on hard for a bit and get a feel for it.

Just to expand on this a bit, I'm pretty sure to have this protection you have to exchange the keys and the game in the same trade. So if the seller wants you to give them the keys first, then they'll trade you in a separate trade later with the game, you may not be able to get the keys restored if something goes sour.

correct!

Valve said:
If you did not trade any items/gifts for the game directly then we are not able to restore anything to your account (i.e. if the game was a gift). Please contact Steam Support if a game that you traded for is missing from your inventory or account.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
honestly I think it'd be pretty frustrating for your first time - bosses can get you in 3-4 hits (or less if you aren't diligent about finding health upgrades.) the game is pretty good about resetting you quickly, which makes it less of a pain to try over and over.. so maybe play on hard for a bit and get a feel for it.
Mmm... That doesn't sound too nice. I may have to play it on Normal then.

After all, if it's good enough for 2 playthroughs I won't mind having to replay it then. And if it's not, I won't care about 100%ing it.

chronomac

Just beat Guacamelee. Thanks to everyone with advice on the final boss. Took me another 5 or 6 tries but I got him. Honestly, just being patient paid off. That and rolling through the missile things he throws out there. I didn't know I could do that until the very end.

Tenrius

Well, I ended up getting Inquisitor in the end. The combat in this game seems to be Diablo-esque (which is something I don't care very much for) and not particularly well-done to boot, but they say the writing is supposed to be good and that there is plenty of dialogue and "investigative quests". The latter was the last straw. Just think about it! Investigative... quests. A man can only resist so much temptation.

adaen

Pretty excited for Europa Universalis IV in ~12h. First day one purchase in a few months for me.
Played a ton of the third one and seems like they toned down the randomness a bit, which should be good.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm pissed.

All it means is the game is now ruined, I regret my pre purchase :(
I'm pleased because it might mean casual games actually become casual rather than just unranked games that people take too seriously and vote you off of if you aren't all CS+10 years pro level.

Tenrius

Pretty excited for Europa Universalis IV in ~12h. First day one purchase in a few months for me.
Played a ton of the third one and seems like they toned down the randomness a bit, which should be good.

I remember like 80% of the actual gameplay being sending merchants and colonists to various places while waiting for various cooldowns. Sometimes you can go to war and it's also mostly a waiting game. All of this still manages to make a pretty decent game though, I did spend quite a few hours playing it after all. That was back around the original release date, and as far as I know they replaced that stupid merchant system in some of the later updates, so it's probably much better now.

Blizzard

Banned
OaUhWAP.png

I was really liking it too, though it's kind of scary that the patch happened last night and there aren't any details about what it did and people are complaining about performance. Are there any patch notes or anything?

Storm360

I'm pleased because it might mean casual games actually become casual rather than just unranked games that people take too seriously and vote you off of if you aren't all CS+10 years pro level.

CS is too big of a target for hackers to be F2P IMO, Hell, even in the very start of the beta (Keys were given out at expo's by valve employees or a few select people got them), I was running into hackers, plus, its CS, I don't want to have people focused on trading rather than the game, I've never seen or been voted off either and I'm not exactly great

73V3N

Banned
And with that im on the move to shift my gift copy of csgo thats been sitting in my inventory for a few weeks. Am I making the right call? If it is to go F2P, how long do you think it will take until it changes over, and would there be any benefits for having a paid copy tied to your account?

Maybe it will be the same as with TF2 and there will be "premium" users.

Tenrius

And with that im on the move to shift my gift copy of csgo thats been sitting in my inventory for a few weeks. Am I making the right call? If it is to go F2P, how long do you think it will take until it changes over, and would there be any benefits for having a paid copy tied to your account?

Judging by TF2 — definitely yes.

jediyoshi

If it's like TF2, I imagine at the very least they'd provide more item spacing for owners of the game. There's no way they'd make OG owners unidentifiable from f2pers, don't have to look around much at the evolution of TF2 to gather that.

Feature wise the first thing I'd imagine they'd lock behind a purchase would be competitive mm.

Storm360

Honestly, if it's going F2P too, I'm going to be miffed. I didn't spend much on it, but I spent some on it.

You don't know how angry it makes me, I hate free to play games, and refuse to play them, if it wasn't for classmates being console gamers I wouldn't touch TF2, I played during the first hour of the beta, pre purchased as soon as it was available, I feel betrayed

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I don't think CS:GO items showing up on the marketplace is an indication that it's going F2P, I think you guys are jumping the gun a little bit on that train of thought.

From the look of things, it'll just have cosmetic weapon enhancements that can be purchased or traded on the Steam marketplace. With the user base of CS:GO being what it is, I think it's a pretty solid move on Valve's part.

iavi

You don't know how angry it makes me, I hate free to play games, and refuse to play them, if it wasn't for classmates being console gamers I wouldn't touch TF2, I played during the first hour of the beta, pre purchased as soon as it was available, I feel betrayed

I don't have any larger issues with F2P.

Not a fan of f2p but this news was inevitable. All this means though is mute all will become even more necessary.

It was inevitable, which is what annoys me. Valve's doing right by Dota, but if it's going to be f2p, be f2p from the jump.

E: it really might be jumping the gun.

Sister just broke my second Pulse Elite Headset, came home from class to find one cup completely crushed and split. Fuck. Really frustrated that she try to hide it.

I'm not getting another one of those, had back luck with the first so I'm going to say good buy to that line despite the general quality probably. Although I will miss it on my PS3.

What is the best PS3/PC headset within a reasonable price range? Would like decent sound quality and the like, and as mentioned cross system compatibility is important.

jediyoshi

Is your issue with f2p that it doesn't cost people to play a game?

I echo the comments above. I've gotten my money's worth from both TF2 and CS:GO, so it's not a money issue. What bothers me is that when TF2 went F2P it killed the game. The flow of new items increased, tons of teenagers/young kids and poor teammates started playing. The community died and the game became filled with people trying to make a quick buck, more so then before it went F2P.

The same thing is now going to happen to CS:GO.

I don't think CS:GO items showing up on the marketplace is an indication that it's going F2P, I think you guys are jumping the gun a little bit on that train of thought.

From the look of things, it'll just have cosmetic weapon enhancements that can be purchased or traded on the Steam marketplace. With the user base of CS:GO being what it is, I think it's a pretty solid move on Valve's part.

I agree. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me at this stage.

Either way all Valve games become next to free at some point or another.

The flow of new items increased, tons of teenagers/young kids and poor teammates started playing. The community died and the game became filled with people trying to make a quick buck, more so then before it went F2P.

The same thing is now going to happen to CS:GO.

Probably but I don't see how you can really ruin pub CS. If anything it might result in more real players and servers.

Eanan

A chat some guy had with the "beta tester" guy on the steam forums. Apparently hes involved with CSGO MP testing

40EKA.png

jediyoshi

First item up, but according to a steam friend its gone
http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/730/SG 553 | Tornado (Battle-Scarred)

"The terrorist-exclusive SG553 is a premium scoped alternative to the AK47 for effective long-range engagement"

Sounds pay 2 win, but maybe i'm reading it wrong

That's just an existing weapon in the game and its description.

"Tornado Battle-Scarred" probably just means it'll have unique visuals. Unlike TF2, CS doesn't have as much leeway in its gameplay.

Did you hate these games when they were free mods as well? I mean there are optional (mostly) aesthetic investments you could make, but the spirit is the same.

First item up, but according to a steam friend its gone
http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/730/SG 553 | Tornado (Battle-Scarred)

"The terrorist-exclusive SG553 is a premium scoped alternative to the AK47 for effective long-range engagement"

Sounds pay 2 win, but maybe i'm reading it wrong
The SG553 isn't a new weapon to CS, it's been there all along. These items sound like skins and nothing more.

Card Boy

Banned
Honestly, if it's going F2P too, I'm going to be miffed. I didn't spend much on it, but I spent some on it.

My issue isn't it might be going F2P it's that Valve fucks over legacy buyers. When TF2 when F2P we got nothing much a shitty hat. Whoopty do.

I know when Gotham City Imposters when F2P WB actually gave us a ton of good shit. (too bad they never supported that game)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom