• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Asus sound card and a DAC are essentially the same thing. You might know that, just clarifying.

You will get good sound sound from the Asus Sound Card.

I haven't played Far Cry 3, but it could be the game causing the issue. I know with Bioshock Infinite, sounds were just 2 channel.
Sorround Sound was useless in that game.

Yeah, at this point I'm just mulling over the pros and cons of each. Leaning towards the DAC. The only real con I can come up with is that it'll take up a USB port, which are in short supply for me. I have too much stuff hooked up to my computer.

Turfster

Yeah, at this point I'm just mulling over the pros and cons of each. Leaning towards the DAC. The only real con I can come up with is that it'll take up a USB port, which are in short supply for me. I have too much stuff hooked up to my computer.

I'm... leery of USB stuff. USB is shitty tech and rather bandwidth limited.

Grief.exe

I'm... leery of USB stuff. USB is shitty tech and rather bandwidth limited.

Turf has a point, I doubt you are getting uncompressed audio through a USB port. I also don't understand the need for a USB DAC over a PCI one, unless you plan on using it in your laptop.

With that said, I have done all of 0 research on USB DACs, so I am not an expert in the area by any stretch of the imagination.

Turfster

With that said, I have done all of 0 research on USB DACs, so I am not an expert in the area by any stretch of the imagination.

I've had way too much USB hardware (and this is basic stuff, like mice and keyboards) fail on me intermittently to ever trust it for anything time sensitive and high bandwidth like 5.1+ audio.

Salsa

I might buy this super ghetto thing for big picture since people talk to me on chat or whatever and its a bummer

sku_58528_1.jpg

26 bucks free shipping

Turfster

I might buy this super ghetto thing for big picture since people talk to me on chat or whatever and its a bummer

26 bucks free shipping

I picked up a cheap Hebrew (because it's about half the price of a normal qwerty on ebay) Microsoft entertainment 7000 bluetooth keyboard.

I thought I was going to be so slick by plugging in my wireless KB+M and using them where necessary for couch gaming/browsing/chatting but the dumb pos can't pick up a signal six feet from my PC :(

Turfster

I thought I was going to be so slick by plugging in my wireless KB+M and using them where necessary for couch gaming/browsing/chatting but the dumb pos can't pick up a signal six feet from my PC :(

Got an USB extender cable lying around? Even a 5cm one can do wonders.

Mattiator

What's the verdict on Rome 2???
I play almost anything and everything.
I have never played something like that before though. Is it pretty simple to get into if I'm not fimilar with the genre?
Thanks for any info!

Tizoc

@JaseC- Didn't know what the Aus Tax for it was, but I wanted to further support the game anyway and decided to gift it as I got it off US PSN for $7-8 =3
Game should be available for downloading later today for Steam though~

maneil99

What's the verdict on Rome 2???
I play almost anything and everything.
I have never played something like that before though. Is it pretty simple to get into if I'm not fimilar with the genre?
Thanks for any info!

Pick up Shogun 2 or Empire before buying it

Get a Logitech K400 instead, much better.

wireless-touch-keyboard-k400-emea-glamour-images.png

my gf has that kb and I gotta say I hate it, it gets me on my nerves. I use to fail a lot pressing the keys, it's really uncomfortable. maybe it's just because I have big hands, but man, it's a pain in the ass.

I gotta say I use a Dinovo Edge, while it's really expensive it's one hell of a keyboard. I bought it 6 years ago and it's still working like a charm, though it cost me 100€, I can't help but praise how good it is.

Oh god, I'm so excited for my Oculus Rift which should ship sometime this week. I'm going to walk off buildings in Mirror's Edge until I throw up

Also: Best keyboard
Edit: Ah, Salsa was looking at mini ones. I really don't get the appeal of big picture mode though, it's awful and restrictive. Not as easy to use as XMB either. I use my PC on a big T.V. and still use the normal mode and a mouse.

Thanks for the reply!
I will look into both of those tonight and see how I feel about the situation.

In general they are reasonably easy to get into. I think they are hard to love though because of how long it all takes.

Normally I start playing and enjoy a big battle. Then I start skipping to save time and lose out on what makes the series special. Then I stop playing.

my gf has that kb and I gotta say I hate it, it gets me on my nerves. I use to fail a lot pressing the keys, it's really uncomfortable. maybe it's just because I have big hands, but man, it's a pain in the ass.

I gotta say I use a Dinovo Edge, while it's really expensive it's one hell of a keyboard. I bought it 6 years ago and it's still working like a charm, though it cost me 100€, I can't help but praise how good it is.

If you find that uncomfortable you would totally hate the one Salsa posted, which is almost half the size.

TheD

The Detective
Turf has a point, I doubt you are getting uncompressed audio through a USB port. I also don't understand the need for a USB DAC over a PCI one, unless you plan on using it in your laptop.

USB has by far enough bandwidth for lossless audio, 2 channel PCM at 16bit and 44.1Hz is only 1411 KBITs per a second!

Driver: San Francisco...done!

I liked it a lot, but I didn't think it was GOTY material. Iunno. I guess people kinda overhyped it. But, like I said, it was a fun game and I don't regret it one bit.

For my next game, I'm trying to decide between Dragon Age, Darksiders or Spec Ops the Line. I think I'm leaning towards Dragon Age since I've been wanting to play an RPG with a character customizer.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How else would I pretend to have real friends? Make a facebook account??

Dupe Steam accounts, of course!

Driver: San Francisco...done!

I liked it a lot, but I didn't think it was GOTY material. Iunno. I guess people kinda overhyped it. But, like I said, it was a fun game and I don't regret it one bit.

I found that it was fun to play but disappointingly easy.

My only Dunder regret will be I forgot to grab myself a copy of Payday 2 after buying a friend one. Thanks for all you've done though <3

Edit: Whoops, this was a post meant for several hours ago when it was more relevant. This is why you close tabs!

maneil99

Anyway to stop getting random steam group invites? I just got one that was called " Holocaust GMOD recreation 2011 "

Steam groups are so shitty, theres like maybe 50-100 popular groups with active chat rooms

JaseC

Speaking of bundles, it looks like my guncraft key appeared (no notification, had to manually go to my groupees page). So here it is:

Oh, nice. I'd been wondering when this would happen.

Anyway to stop getting random steam group invites?

Nope. Even if your profile is set to private, people can still invite you to a group, regardless of whether or not they're on your friends list.

USB DAC are actually pretty good. They deliver fine clean audio quality as well. I used to use a ALPEN-E17 when I was rocking a laptop.

JaseC

I love that your character, a by-the-book cop, becomes a fucking psycho once he learns how to shift. It's just so random.

In Tomb Raider 2013, towards the end of the campaign, Lara yells, "I'm going to fucking kill you all!" (or something similar) out of nowhere as you're shooting at people. She was no longer a survivor, but a hunter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom