• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
the asus one I posted last ? it seems okay size wise

No, I meant the first one.

The Asus one not having the trackpad and having to use a mouse can be cumbersome though, I'd definitely get the K400 if I were you, worth the extra bucks, the software is great and you can customize the FN + keys to make your own app shortcuts, etc.

cb31f70f01747b1a823b9354ad5a926a.gif

Salsa

No, I meant the first one.

The Asus one not having the trackpad and having to use a mouse can be cumbersome though, I'd definitely get the K400 if I were you, worth the extra bucks, the software is great and you can customize the FN + keys to make your own app shortcuts, etc.

idk man its more than double

ill just rest the mouse on my leg or somethin

Downloaded and played the demo for Teleglitch off of IndieDB (link) that another GAFfer kindly pointed out and quite enjoyed what I played of it up to my first death on the second level. Teleglitch is this weird, top-down shooter/rogue-like mash-up love letter to Doom. The visuals are super basic and there's no soundtrack to speak of but Teleglitch still manages to ooze atmosphere with its spare use of ambient sound punctuating the otherwise dead silence of the world and how it plays with light and your line of sight.

Teleglitch is hard as hell, you have to scavenge for ammo, food, medical supplies, items for crafting and make judicious use of it all. Miss a few too many of your shots and suddenly your fending off hordes of mutants and zombies with nothing more than a knife and slowly dying. What makes it really hard is how your health (or lack there of) carries over from level to level and when you die, that's it, you start over again.

The thing that separates Teleglitch from the other rogue-likes I've played is how there's a narrative structure sort of driving the experience. As you explore, scavenge and fight your way through the levels you come across journals and logs that detail what was happening in the facility. It's neat but it's totally an homage to Doom.

The gunplay, weirdly, is super satisfying. I say weirdly because the visual aesthetic of the game is beyond lean, you're literally looking at ten to twelve pixels when you character is holding and firing a gun. But it feels meaty and impactful and it's all with a little effect blur on your characters sprite, some camera shake and decent effects (mainly the more explosive weapons you can find and craft).

Really liked what I played of the demo, enough that I bought the game.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
but what if someone mods pedestrians to look like hunk wolves

Someone already modded Star Fox characters in GTA.

I dunno. GTA never clicked with me. At least JC2 and SD had something other than "yay sandbox gangsters!" One has over the top explosions and insane grappling physics set on a Banana Republic. The other has Jet Li fighting thugs who spout Mandarin vulgarity in a non-American ghetto setting.

Salsa

this one looks pretty great regardless of what people might think of previous entries IMO

its the most different yet with the 3 protagonists thing

and it has max payne 3 gunplay

GTA V just looks damn amazing. Goddamn amazing, even.

That said, I'm considering cancelling my pre-order. If Rockstar were to just come out and say "it's coming in so and so months", I'd wait immediately. My backlog is big enough.

Addnan

I probably won't be able to wait for the PC version, even if it comes out couple of months after. I need it now. Will buy again though.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
The new Dishonored DLC is out today, right? Feels like nobody is talking about it at all.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Hmm, will need to know what the specs are to see if my laptop I just got could run GTA V. The article doesn't really make it clear that they're saying it'll come to PC in the fall though, just that gamers will be playing it on their "current systems". Still, might be enough to make me hold off until I know more.

iavi

GTA V just looks damn amazing. Goddamn amazing, even.

That said, I'm considering cancelling my pre-order. If Rockstar were to just come out and say "it's coming in so and so months", I'd wait immediately. My backlog is big enough.

That's exactly why they don't announce it.

maneil99

No reason from a buisness point to relase it on pc at launch same time as consoles. Market is smaller and you get a high double dip rate aswell as time to fix up the port

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh definitely it looks good. At the very least its visuals should be good.

Oh Chivalry. If only there are servers with less than 100 ping :/

I know. But I'm still torn on waiting or just going in.

My plan:

* Purchase PS3 version for about $70, play it through.
* Sell for about the same on ebay a couple of days later.
* Pick up PC version once some fun mods are available.
* Download it and play for around 15 seconds then never touch it again.

Arthea

Does anybody use Coupons at all? I have:
66% OFF Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten
50% OFF Garry's Mod
75% OFF Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter
50% OFF Sanctum

if anybody wants them, contact me on steam much later today or any other day. They still be valid for 10 days or so.

Benedict

Can you trade coupons on tf2outpost.com for keys/games or is that meaningless?
For the sellers I guess coupons would be valuable if they can get the games cheaper and then sell them for more keys than what it was purchased for.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Can you trade coupons on tf2outpost.com for keys/games or is that meaningless?
For the sellers I guess coupons would be valuable if they can get the games cheaper and then sell them for more keys than what it was purchased for.

You can certainly try, but you're not going to get anywhere. ;)

Arthea

I'm under impression that most coupons offers discounts that are less than steam offers freely at certain points of time. If they would somehow stack, that would be other story (><)
As it is, I much much more would prefer to get cards instead of coupons *sighs*

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It drags on for way too long, but you kind of keep playing it till the end and rather enjoy it. Then you never want to touch another AC game again in your life ever. At least that was my experience ;)
Oh, that sucks. With the perfect length it would have been fantastic, because it has a nice setting and fun gameplay (while the novelty lasts, at least). Apparently it's been a long time since I played the beginning of AC1, because I haven't got tired of this yet.

But yeah, I couldn't imagine playing through 4 (soon to be 5) more similar games, especially if you're the kind of person that has to 100% their games. No idea how Jase did it. Or didn't he do that in some AC titles?

It shouldn't take too long if you stick purely to the story. Maybe 15-18 hours. If you pace it out to doing maybe a memory sequence a day it should go very smoothly.
15 hours for only the story missions sounds like stretching it a bit, almost to breaking point. Hopefully I continue to be hooked so it doesn't feel like that much time. But yeah, now I'm afraid I may get bored, which I don't want to.

JaseC

I'm under impression that most coupons offers discounts that are less than steam offers freely at certain points of time. If they would somehow stack, that would be other story (><)
As it is, I much much more would prefer to get cards instead of coupons *sighs*

It's also worth noting that, coupons publishers have allowed to stack aside, they can't be used on games with a pre-existing discount, even if the discount the coupon offers is greater than that of the store. For example, if Garry's Mod was 33% off on Steam at the moment and the coupon for 50% off wasn't flagged as stackable, it'd literally be useless until the store discount expired -- this is something Valve should change, I think.

Arthea

It's also worth noting that, coupons publishers have allowed to stack aside, they can't be used on games with a pre-existing discount, even if the discount the coupon offers is greater than that of the store. For example, if Garry's Mod was 33% off on Steam at the moment and the coupon for 50% off wasn't flagged as stackable, it'd literally be useless until the store discount expired -- this is something Valve should change, I think.

Ya, I think it's stated on them that coupons don't stack with any other discounts.
This need to be fixed, wasn't aware that they even don't work if already there is discount.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Driver: San Francisco...done!

I liked it a lot, but I didn't think it was GOTY material. Iunno. I guess people kinda overhyped it. But, like I said, it was a fun game and I don't regret it one bit.

For my next game, I'm trying to decide between Dragon Age, Darksiders or Spec Ops the Line. I think I'm leaning towards Dragon Age since I've been wanting to play an RPG with a character customizer.
I'd suggest Spec Ops. It's amazing, and it's also very short, so it won't take you much time.

Sad to hear about you feeling that Driver:SF was overhyped. In my case, it brought back memories of playing Midtown Madness 1 & 2 a little over ten years ago, hitting that nostalgia spot hard. I loved it.

In Tomb Raider 2013, towards the end of the campaign, Lara yells, "I'm going to fucking kill you all!" (or something similar) out of nowhere as you're shooting at people. She was no longer a survivor, but a hunter.
And suddenly I don't feel like protecting her anymore...

JaseC

Ya, I think it's stated on them that coupons don't stack with any other discounts.
This need to be fixed, wasn't aware that they even don't work if already there is discount.

Publishers can allow their coupons to stack on top of a pre-existing discount (Two Tribes did this with the HIB Toki Tori 2+ coupons, for example), however this is exceedingly rare -- but, yeah, in cases where stacking is disabled, users should certainly be able to use a coupon in lieu of the store discount if it offers a better deal.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Driver: San Francisco...done!

I liked it a lot, but I didn't think it was GOTY material. Iunno. I guess people kinda overhyped it. But, like I said, it was a fun game and I don't regret it one bit.

For my next game, I'm trying to decide between Dragon Age, Darksiders or Spec Ops the Line. I think I'm leaning towards Dragon Age since I've been wanting to play an RPG with a character customizer.

Darksiders is a kind of quick. Really good 15-18 hour playthrough. Dragon Age is great but much longer. Spec ops is about 4 hours long and borderline terrible.

fantomena

Just got my paycheck. Looking into pre-ordeing Pac-Man, also thinking about KOF and Castlevania. No way Im pre-rodering XCOM, Blacklist, Saints Row IV etc. games that cost over 20€. They I will just get on a cheap sale sometime.

The problem I did before that I pre-ordered many 49,99€ and the time I started playing them was when they were on sale for less than 20€.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Downloaded and played the demo for Teleglitch off of IndieDB (link) that another GAFfer kindly pointed out and quite enjoyed what I played of it up to my first death on the second level. Teleglitch is this weird, top-down shooter/rogue-like mash-up love letter to Doom. The visuals are super basic and there's no soundtrack to speak of but Teleglitch still manages to ooze atmosphere with its spare use of ambient sound punctuating the otherwise dead silence of the world and how it plays with light and your line of sight.

Teleglitch is hard as hell, you have to scavenge for ammo, food, medical supplies, items for crafting and make judicious use of it all. Miss a few too many of your shots and suddenly your fending off hordes of mutants and zombies with nothing more than a knife and slowly dying. What makes it really hard is how your health (or lack there of) carries over from level to level and when you die, that's it, you start over again.

The thing that separates Teleglitch from the other rogue-likes I've played is how there's a narrative structure sort of driving the experience. As you explore, scavenge and fight your way through the levels you come across journals and logs that detail what was happening in the facility. It's neat but it's totally an homage to Doom.

The gunplay, weirdly, is super satisfying. I say weirdly because the visual aesthetic of the game is beyond lean, you're literally looking at ten to twelve pixels when you character is holding and firing a gun. But it feels meaty and impactful and it's all with a little effect blur on your characters sprite, some camera shake and decent effects (mainly the more explosive weapons you can find and craft).

Really liked what I played of the demo, enough that I bought the game.
You must mean Doom 3. 1 & 2 had none of that shit, just pure unadulterated fun.

I've already downloaded the Telefragglitch demo, so hopefully I'll like it too when I play it.

this one looks pretty great regardless of what people might think of previous entries IMO

its the most different yet with the 3 protagonists thing

and it has max payne 3 gunplay
I don't see the appeal of having 3 playable characters, to be honest. Especially if they all play the same.

And it's located in San Andreas again, which is a complete hype killer. It's about time we see a new city, I think.

idk man its more than double

ill just rest the mouse on my leg or somethin

We are talking about something that will probably last you a decade, I wouldn't cheap out and try to make an effort, believe me when I say you will regret not having a touch pad on the Asus keyboard.

Also, try to look for some deals, It's 35$ on amazon, there might be some deals on Uruguay too.

Arthea

Compulsion to get all achievements is horrible disease!
I spend probably 10 times more time on getting 2 last achievements in Faerie Solitaire than finishing a game. May be I just got unlucky, but consider yourself warned. (><)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Compulsion to get all achievements is horrible disease!
I spend probably 10 times more time on getting 2 last achievements in Faerie Solitaire than finishing a game. May be I just got unlucky, but consider yourself warned. (><)

Getting a 360 in the first year broke me of that habit after about the 3rd or 4th year with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom