• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenrius

I love 'em, that's why I entered to win it.

Also, every booster pack I've gotten so far have been ones that sell for $.50-.60 :/

I got a Serious Sam 3 pack two days ago, opened it (since the difference between its price and the combined prices of three regular cards was negligible) and got a foil lol.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
At least you guys get boosters.

I'm really unlucky. I had 2 booster packs only and no foils, no rare backgrounds or emoticons, most of the cards are dupes of each other etc. I did get to lvl 24 only by selling/trading cards though so no real complaints from me.

Hinomura

Since it seems Sega is loving PC/Steam in these years, I'm dreaming about Nagoshi san releasing Ryu Ga Gotoku / Yakuza games (1-5 and Kenzan) on Steam, with full Steamworks support, extra modes, a bit of hd textures here and there for the first two games, etc.

Okay, one can dream :(

But isn't thinking about releasing a game on an immortal platform with pratically infinite backward compatibility, and having the possibility to sell it forever (with usual peaks occuring with deals, dlc releasing, collections etc) enough appealing for Japanese publishers/developers?

Without this option, there are tons of previous console generations games that are buried and won't probably see the light again... if I think ie about a PC/Steam BeatMania IIDx uber collection with worldwide leaderboards... well I got shivers...

Okay sorry for the interruption ^__^

Grief.exe

Since it seems Sega is loving PC/Steam in these years, I'm dreaming about Nagoshi san releasing Ryu Ga Gotoku / Yakuza games (1-5 and Kenzan) on Steam, with full Steamworks support, extra modes, a bit of hd textures here and there for the first two games, etc.

But isn't thinking about releasing a game on an immortal platform with pratically infinite backward compatibility, and having the possibility to sell it forever (with usual peaks occuring with deals, dlc releasing, collections etc) enough appealing for Japanese publishers/developers?

Without this option, there are tons of previous console generations games that are buried and won't probably see the light again... if I think ie about a PC/Steam BeatMania IIDx uber collection with worldwide leaderboards... well I got shivers...

I have dreams of more older Sega games on PC as well. There are so many great titles from the Xbox/GC era that I would love to see on Steam.

Panzer Dragoon Orta, Otogi 1/2, Jet Set Radio Future, Shenmue II, and Skies of Arkadia are some of the ones at the top of my wish list.

Gbraga

Man, just the idea of localised Kenzan is enough for me to throw money at the screen.

Seriously, it's not even about being on PC anymore, I just really want Kenzan in english, ever since it was announced.

Turfster

Well, they've done HD remakes of the first 2, so they'd have those already.
Sadly, Japanese devs really don't care all that much for the PC, so it'll stay a pipe dream. (Sorry, but I thought it better to pop that dream before it festered)

You must mean Doom 3. 1 & 2 had none of that shit, just pure unadulterated fun.

I've already downloaded the Telefragglitch demo, so hopefully I'll like it too when I play it.

Yeah, the narrative through logs is Doom 3 but the setting, the scenario and enemies of Teleglitch all evoke Doom. You are the lone survivor on a secret military installation on remote planet (not Mars) where an experiment with teleportation goes horrible awry. Something comes through and all hell breaks loose. The military bases defences turn on the inhabitants, all of the other experimental weaponry are let loose and the very fabric of reality starts to warp. Your character holed up with some supplies to wait for help but now those are running out and you've got to make a break for it.

If I had to compare Teleglitch directly to another game it would be Pineapple Smash Crew. There are a few key differences tho, Teleglitch is harder than PSC in that you don't have "4 lives" (4 mercs in a squad that you level up as you play), your health does not reset between levels in Teleglitch and ammo/food/medical supplies/items for crafting are a lot harder to come by than PSC's grenade power-ups, which are doled out like candy. Teleglitch is dark and moody, Pineapple Smash Crew is bright and kind of irreverent. Pineapple Smash Crew has a righteous soundtrack whereas Teleglitch makes use of its audio quite sparingly, I'd say effectively tho.

Hinomura

Sadly, Japanese devs really don't care all that much for the PC, so it'll stay a pipe dream. (Sorry, but I thought it better to pop that dream before it festered)

Well, in previous gen era (PS2 Xbox etc) it was unthinkable to have Japanese publishers regularly publishing games on PC. Street Fighter aside a few horrid ports was a chimera, Sonic? Just lol and so on.

For the first time in gaming, during this generation, some Japanese publishers are approaching to PC platform (a lot of Capcom and Sega games on PC? Are you joking? Street Fighter IV on PC? What are you smoking?), but they've not had a total approach, and most of them are still reluctant to touch a PC with a stick. Will the things change furthermore?

Grief.exe

Atlus on PC would be madness.

Catherine on PC, Persona 5 TT_TT

Oh man :/

That acquisition makes me excited for the future.

Well, in previous gen era (PS2 Xbox etc) it was unthinkable to have Japanese publishers regularly publishing games on PC. Street Fighter aside a few horrid ports was a chimera, Sonic? Just lol and so on.

For the first time in gaming during this generation some Japanese publishers are approaching to PC platform (a lot of Capcom and Sega games on PC? Are you joking? Street Fighter IV on PC? What are you smoking?), but they've not had a total approach, and most of them are still reluctant to touch a PC with a stick. Will the things change furthermore?

The future is looking good as far as Japanese ports.

Namco Bandai, SNK, and Konami have all jumped in very recently.

Turfster

For the first time in gaming, during this generation, some Japanese publishers are approaching to PC platform (a lot of Capcom and Sega games on PC? Are you joking? Street Fighter IV on PC? What are you smoking?)

Yes, but like you said, these are mostly limited to a few types of games.
Ah well, here's hoping for the future. The closer consoles move towards just being standardised TV PCs, the easier it should be to just release a Steam version too, in theory (yes, I know I'm discounting the hours and hours of hardware and software compatibility testing involved in getting a game to work on everyone's windows box)

Why was the Humble Deep Silver Bundle extended?

To end at midnight in Europe, obviously.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the narrative through logs is Doom 3 but the setting, the scenario and enemies of Teleglitch all evoke Doom. You are the lone survivor on a secret military installation on remote planet (not Mars) where an experiment with teleportation goes horrible awry. Something comes through and all hell breaks loose. The military bases defences turn on the inhabitants, all of the other experimental weaponry are let loose and the very fabric of reality starts to warp. Your character holed up with some supplies to wait for help but now those are running out and you've got to make a break for it.

If I had to compare Teleglitch directly to another game it would be Pineapple Smash Crew. There are a few key differences tho, Teleglitch is harder than PSC in that you don't have "4 lives" (4 mercs in a squad that you level up as you play), your health does not reset between levels in Teleglitch and ammo/food/medical supplies/items for crafting are a lot harder to come by than PSC's grenade power-ups, which are doled out like candy. Teleglitch is dark and moody, Pineapple Smash Crew is bright and kind of irreverent. Pineapple Smash Crew has a righteous soundtrack whereas Teleglitch makes use of its audio quite sparingly, I'd say effectively tho.
The story sounds like a weird mix between Doom and Half-Life. You know what, I'm gonna try the demo right now, because why not?

Never heard of PSC, gonna google it.

Gbraga

No, but Sega is in the mix and rumored to be at the top of the pile.

I like the sound of this

Mlpfb.gif

Uraizen

Banned

I still dream of Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown being released on PC.

I have the game, and I'm a little exasperated that the game maker put so little effort into adding typical Steam bells and whistles that I've come to expect (especially in the case of indie games).

Beyond a lack of steam achievements I'm not quite certain what bells or whistles PSC is missing.

HoosTrax

Beyond a lack of steam achievements I'm not quite certain what bells or whistles PSC is missing.
Controller support, cloud saves, leaderboards etc.

Hell, this is the type of arcade game that seems ideal for in-game challenges, and it follows naturally that those types of things can be turned into achievements. Goals to work towards etc. For luddites -- I'm perfectly fine with games like Dear Esther and Proteus eschewing achievements, but with some genres, there's little reason not to have them.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't look half bad.

On the other hand, I didn't like the Teleglitch demo. Managed to reach level 2 on my second try, and then died quick. Absolutely hate the way it looks, and that distortion effect.

The gameplay reminds me of Hotline Miami, but it doesn't feel as good (or "visceral", if you like) as that game. It also lacks that Perturbator and Scattle goodness as soundtrack.

Shame you didn't enjoy it, and yeah Hotline Miami is another good game to compare Teleglitch to. The pacing is a bit different, Teleglitch can be as frenetic as Hotline Miami when you encounter a swarm of enemies but I find myself moving through the environments a lot more cautiously.

I do agree about the lack of soundtrack. It's weird how they've got some pretty decent tunes in the trailer on the Steam store page but so far the game itself has been devoid of music.

Hinomura

Yes, but like you said, these are mostly limited to a few types of games.
Ah well, here's hoping for the future. The closer consoles move towards just being standardised TV PCs, the easier it should be to just release a Steam version too, in theory (yes, I know I'm discounting the hours and hours of hardware and software compatibility testing involved in getting a game to work on everyone's windows box).
Correct. It's easier to port a game written in C (++/#/etc) which uses OpenGl (PS3 and probably PS4) or DirectX (Xbox 360/1) with frameworks and middlewares than writing from scratch a game most of the time written in ASM for huge parts and with hardware specific calls (PS2 and before).

Emulators are a solution, but the best you can offer -now- to the wide audience of PC gamers (according to Steam hardware surveys) is limited to PS1 gen and previous generations platforms, since ie a PS2 emulator requires too much beef. For instance Sega jumped in with Genesis/Megadrive games (iirc they use an emulator with a frontend/launcher).

It's a pity, since a lot of gamers didn't experience a huge part of the diversified gaming offered before. And it's a pity, because this could give a good wealth to developers/publishers if done in the right way.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just found out I can press Enter on the item selling screen to put something on the Steam Market, instead of having to click "OK, put it up for sale" and then "OK" again. My mind has been blown.

Hinomura

I still dream of Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown being released on PC.
You're not alone. :/

A matter which is fascinating me is that everytime I booted on SSF4AE on PS3 I had to wait more for online matches and the opponents were usually weaker than what I'm experiencing on PC.

The "wow" expressed by MK devs/pubs regarding PC sales isn't just a quirk.

Turfster

Just found out I can press Enter on the item selling screen to put something on the Steam Market, instead of having to click "OK, put it up for sale" and then "OK" again. My mind has been blown.

Wait, what?

Re upcoming X bundle:
Looks like we might have an incomming Humble Weekly sale featuring the X Universe games:

X Universe Bundle A
X Universe Bundle B
Most likely a PWYW for Bundle A and beat the average for Bundle B.

You're not alone. :/

A matter which is fascinating me is that everytime I booted on SSF4AE on PS3 I had to wait more for online matches and the opponents were usually weaker than what I'm experiencing on PC.

The "wow" expressed by MK devs/pubs regarding PC sales isn't just a quirk.

Yeah I was pretty surprised by how healthy SSF4AE is online the last time I played it on PC.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Re:lack of Teleglitch music, maybe throw either

this

or

this

On a loop for your aural pleasure.
Why does the E1M1 music sound so good? It never sounded anywhere near that on any machine I played the game on :/

I mean, just listen to this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEAYqiKFk9c. It's AMAZING. Thanks a lot for letting me know Doom's soundtrack could sound like that. Just for that I won't beg you for free games on Steam chat, so consider yourself lucky!

mrgone

Re:lack of Teleglitch music, maybe throw either

this

or

this

On a loop for your aural pleasure.

I've been trying to figure out the pre-order soundtrack. Are we supposed to do just that, play it externally while we're playing the game? It's pretty darned good, but I've never been able to get far enough into the game to definitively tell if it's actually used anywhere by the game itself! :)

Why does the E1M1 music sound so good? It never sounded anywhere near that on any machine I played the game on :/

I mean, just listen to this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEAYqiKFk9c. It's AMAZING. Thanks a lot for letting me know Doom's soundtrack could sound like that. Just for that I won't beg you for free games on Steam chat, so consider yourself lucky!

Sounds like it's either the Roland MT-32 or whatever option, or someone's running one of the MIDI transpositions of the music through a good synth.

I kind of prefer the original FM adlib/sound blaster music, myself. It might not sound the best, but it sounds right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom