• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
204100_2013-08-13_000ncuwi.png

Rockstar's first next gen title is going to blow minds. Wonder if GTAV will be able to match Max Payne 3's general attention to detail given the open world nature.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just have fun and play what you want to play. Don't worry about your backlog, you will get to it eventually.

Stop games you don't like playing, complete games that you truly enjoy. Remember, its a hobby, not your job.

Actually, he does review games. ;)

HoosTrax

I mean, just listen to this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEAYqiKFk9c. It's AMAZING. Thanks a lot for letting me know Doom's soundtrack could sound like that. Just for that I won't beg you for free games on Steam chat, so consider yourself lucky!
Ah you picked another of my favorites from the Doom soundtrack. I know what you mean though. Feels like certain "interpretations" of the soundtrack (maybe dependent on sound card or MIDI codec?) sound very...harsh or primitive. Very MIDI.

derExperte

Yeah, but playing L4Ds campaigns with complete strangers cut away like 90% of the fun.

Can't agree with that, it may take a few tries to find some cool people but I got back into L4D recently and had great games. Actually being paired with randoms fits the theme quiet well and at the end of a campaign you are one team. Or dead. And it's still funny if all goes to hell.

Copons

You played Versus?

PvP is a completely different matter, I think.
It loses all the "storyline" features and becomes just another arena FPS (although good and original).

But overall, it's basically me that don't really dig PvP, especially when there is a so prominent co-op mode.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
lol I like her accent to but she does say uhmmm to damn much :p :p :p

tumblr_mkizekubzi1s111lbio.gif
tumblr_mkizekubzi1s11c8x4p.gif
tumblr_mkizekubzi1s11r0xho.gif

tumblr_mkizekubzi1s112sbys.gif
tumblr_mkizekubzi1s11yvzz2.gif
tumblr_mkizekubzi1s114ezdf.gif

tumblr_mkizekubzi1s1195zo1.gif
tumblr_mkizekubzi1s11s1yj5.gif
tumblr_mkizekubzi1s11h7adi.gif

I haven't beat it yet but after 2 hours I had beat 3 of the 5 main levels
but then there is the return to Transylvania level
and apparently a new level.

But I also haven't had any "Game Overs" and I'm playing on Medium difficulty.

You can use the in-game money to unlock character artwork (which includes the original NES sprites for comparison - a nice touch!) which is cool since it was basically just your "score" in the original.

I suspect a playthrough would be somewhere in the realm of 4-5 hours if you're familiar with the levels, perhaps longer if not.

Sadly, there isn't much in the way of collectibles. Most of the replay value will come from trying to beat the game on a higher difficulty level, unlock all of the achievements, or unlocking all of the items in the gallery. I hear there is a bad-ass video of the original full length opening sequence from the cartoon.

~5+ hours isn't too bad I suppose -- that's about the length of a modern Call of Duty campaign. ;) Pity about the lack of collectables, though.

Copons

Can't agree with that, it may take a few tries to find some cool people but I got back into L4D recently and had great games. Actually being paired with people you don't know fits the theme quiet well and at the end of a campaign you are one team. Or dead.

Then it's just my lucky always failing in finding a good group. :(

But anyway, it's undeniably better to read "In memory of" with a friend name, let alone when you have to sacrifice one guy to save the rest and you succeed in tricking the noobest of your friends to stay back because everything will be fine, you'll join us later. :D

Turfster

But anyway, it's undeniably better to read "In memory of" with a friend name, let alone when you have to sacrifice one guy to save the rest and you succeed in tricking the noobest of your friends to stay back because everything will be fine, you'll join us later. :D
I think I'm seeing why you're having trouble finding a group ;)

derExperte

Lifetime Gameplay Stats
Games played 15
Finales survived 0 (0%)

Yes, you obviously do. :O
I guess it's a bug, my stats aren't correct either.

Of course you're right, it's better with friends. But not playing because no one I know wants to? Nah.

Copons

I think I'm seeing why you're having trouble finding a group ;)

That's a treatment I only reserve for friends!

To tell the truth: I'm the only one I know to have fallen for that trick, and since then I totally always try to trick other people into that, but it seems no one else is dumb enough. :'(

Copons

Lifetime Gameplay Stats
Games played 15
Finales survived 0 (0%)

Yes, you obviously do. :O
I guess it's a bug, my stats aren't correct either.

Of course you're right, it's better with friends. But not playing because no one I know wants to? Nah.

Wha!!
It's totally incorrect! I don't know how many finales I survived (or at least, I was dead while the rest of the team made it), but I've completed and survived a Dead Center no more than 3 hours ago... :D
Also, in 35 hours, it seems strange that I played only 15 games. Looks like I totally enjoy idling in the lobby!

FloatOn

I know I'm a little late on this but I played a little MK this afternoon.... The video cut scenes look really bad and I forgot how manly they made Sonya's face. What were they thinking on that one?

The actual game is really fun though.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
That sleeping dog gif that Mr Orange used to post all the time never loaded 100% for me. Good times.

I know I'm a little late on this but I played a little MK this afternoon.... The video cut scenes look really bad and I forgot how manly they made Sonya's face. What were they thinking on that one?

The actual game is really fun though.

I agree it is fun but that's it for me, I did not find any deep gameplay mechanic ala SF to keep me interested in playing.

Turfster

A DuckTales badge would, I think, be a huge incentive.

Possibly. Maybe they were in the process of adding it and just pushed the go button too quickly. Are you basing this on actually having the game and a few cards, or on steamcardexchange, because SCE has no badges for any of the games added today, which is kinda fishy.

Also, Gotham City Impostors got cards too.

Possibly. Maybe they were in the process of adding it and just pushed the go button too quickly. Are you basing this on actually having the game and a few cards, or on steamcardexchange, because SCE has no badges for any of the games added today, which is kinda fishy.

Also, Gotham City Impostors got cards too.

SCE.

I could see by buying DuckTales.

For research purposes.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
This may sound trite but it's wise advice. Life is full of too many awesome things (and even too many video games) to play stuff you don't like.
I know this is true, but I still feel I should force myself to finish BioShock (and play BS2 too) just so I can finally start Infinite. Why did it have to have such a bad gameplay?

Ah you picked another of my favorites from the Doom soundtrack. I know what you mean though. Feels like certain "interpretations" of the soundtrack (maybe dependent on sound card or MIDI codec?) sound very...harsh or primitive. Very MIDI.
Yeah, I loved playing that level as a kid just for the kick-ass music. But I still think nothing beats Jazz Jackrabbit 2. I could listen to its soundtrack all day long and never get bored.

i just got to 3-4 in the ice caves for the first time, and on the left top of the stage there is a secondary exit, way up top of a loooong shaft. where does that cave go? the compass is pointing low so it can't be the exit, but i googled and couldn't find an answer. i'd enter it but i've never gotten this far so i'll be damned if i'm going to not see the temple after getting this far, quite curious as to wtf that exit is though...not about to sacrifice this jetpack and otherwise awesome loadout for what's probably some boss/trap room

well my first visit to the temple ended in .5 seconds when i stepped left and some block shot straight at me and i died. goodbye 7 hearts jetpack compass climbing gear etc...shit. the spelunky experience.

i need to get that shotgun for the jungle shortcut. i make it there with one every day...during the daily challenge when you can't give him stuff.

Dawg

1. Create Saints Row IV OT
2. Insert Cliffy B joke
3. ????
vet31jk.jpg

Today was a good day, steamgaf.

i still love you clifford

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't know Assassin's Creed 2 had some Prince of Persia-esque tombs/catacombs/platforming sections. I played 2 of them, and really like them. Even thoguh the game seemed to have an extremely annoying habit of taking control of the camera to show me where to go next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom