• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Controller support, cloud saves, leaderboards etc.

Hell, this is the type of arcade game that seems ideal for in-game challenges, and it follows naturally that those types of things can be turned into achievements. Goals to work towards etc. For luddites -- I'm perfectly fine with games like Dear Esther and Proteus eschewing achievements, but with some genres, there's little reason not to have them.

It does have controller support but it definitely could be better. And I agree with everything else you said. The games has an unfinished feel to it but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. One of my favorite soundtracks from last year.

Nabs

You really shouldn't be able to launch BPM (guide button) while a game is running. It got me rocked in Dark Souls so hard.

Turfster

Finally got to start Brigmore Witches. It seems it saves different states from Knife of Dunwall depending on the level of chaos, which is nice.

Firehead

The description just says "exclusive alpha build". I'm not sure we'll get the full game out of it.

Seems you're right! What a nice surprise.

Messaged Groupees about Zombies and Legend of Dungeon, here's what they said:
Hello,

It looks like when it is Greenlit, you will be getting keys for Zombies but you will not be getting steam keys for Legend of Dungeon. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Regards,
Eric

Seems you're right, Yian. Oh well. Nice that we'll be getting Zombies though.

Nerf Cerebella, that is all :). This game just rocks the whole 20's jazzy vibe, it's entertaining just watching it in action, how all the animations work together.

Nabs

Stump will be happy to know that Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death is coming to Steam (registry). Will buy at $2.50.

Nerf Cerebella, that is all :). This game just rocks the whole 20's jazzy vibe, it's entertaining just watching it in action, how all the animations work together.

That's the one thing I find completely lacking from Divekick. The character art is just so uninspired and drab. Yes, yes, I know...they're supposed to be parodies...but I still don't care for it. Wish it looked even half as nice as Skullgirls does in motion.

First one never went above 20k, if I recall correctly.

Mama Robotnik thread on the cancelled Legacy of Kain game titled Dead Sun and more information by the upcoming game Nosgoth coming to Steam.

The community manager described Nosgoth as a 3rd person Unreal Tournament 2. Consider my interest piqued.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=76258147

Congratulations to them.

I'm super glad that indie developers are having this kind of success on pc. I was seeing today how Chivalry sold 1 million.

7th Max Payne 3 playthough complete(classic difficulty), god I love that game despite one or two poor levels that become more obvious with so many playthoughs.

iavi

Sensible pricing & expectations wins again. I have a feeling we're going to see a LOT of 29.99 B titles going into next-gen, and I welcome them all with open arms.

Can one make the MSI afterburner framerate counter not show up in screenshots like you can with FRAPs?

Edit: Fuck, EUIV is out and I forgot to pre-order. Those pre-order bonuses are absurdly priced. Damn it, dunder's $22 deal was amazing. *jumps out window*

Grief.exe

Wow, I just stumbled upon this game through youtuber FrankieonPC.

It is called Betrayer. It is an open-world, first person, survival horror game set in the 1800's colonial America.

Let your eyes adjust for a few minutes, game is in black and white and takes a little bit of time to get used to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY1Zx_qvogg

Betrayer is a first person action adventure game that takes you to the New World at the turn of the 17th century.

The year is 1604. You sailed from England expecting to join a struggling colony on the coast of Virginia. Instead, you find only ghosts and mysteries. What catastrophe blighted the land and drained it of color and life? Where are the settlers and tribes who lived here? And who is the strange, silent woman in red who aids you from afar?

Clue by clue, you must piece together the story of what befell this doomed settlement and find a way to set things right. You will be hunted by corrupted Conquistadors and ravening shadows as you explore an expansive wilderness in order to trace the brief, tragic history of the colony and search for survivors.

I'm super glad that indie developers are having this kind of success on pc. I was seeing today how Chivalry sold 1 million.

If they are already at 60,000 concurrent, Payday 2 will be over a million pretty quickly.

Can one make the MSI afterburner framerate counter not show up in screenshots like you can with FRAPs?

There is an option in the screenshot menu.

So the daily deal says it has roughly 40 hours left, will it actually still be on sale for 40 hours, or is that a glitch left over from the summer sale?

derExperte

Wow, I just stumbled upon this game through youtuber FrankieonPC.

It is called Betrayer. It is an open-world, first person, survival horror game set in the 1800's colonial America.

Let your eyes adjust for a few minutes, game is in black and white and takes a little bit of time to get used to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY1Zx_qvogg

The trailer was very disorientating, too many fast cuts to get used to the style, but in this video it looks much better.

Grief.exe

The trailer was very disorientating, too many fast cuts to get used to the style, but in this video it looks much better.

Your eyes really need a few minutes to adjust.

I can see how it would be a tough art style and game to show in trailer form.

It it apparently being put together by the former devs behind FEAR and No One Lives Forever.

EDIT: Ya the announcement trailer is horrible. I'm going to forget I watched that now.

I'm really excited about Betrayer, hope it goes up tonight at midnight.

204100_2013-08-13_0008yu5o.png
The guns in Max Payne 3 are so wonderfully detailed, Rockstar quality really is a thing :D

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Played a few hours of DuckTales Remastered. I have to say, it's pretty awesome.

VERY true to the original NES game, even remixing the original (now famous) title sequence with the new. The game is honestly exactly what the NES game would have been if they had access to today's technology.

I'm really enjoying how they've wrote miniature DuckTales episodes around each of the original levels. It gives them way more depth than they used to have. The voice acting is pretty true to the original (English-speaking) TV cartoon. It's great to see that they didn't monkey with the level design either - most everything is exactly where it should be and exactly where it was almost 25 years ago.

Bravo WayForward. I swore I would never pre-order a game again after the Borderlands 2 fiasco, but you've restored my faith in great gaming.

so does spelunky take your high scores for alltime/daily challenges from the money you have when you die, or your overall bank account throughout your playthrough (IE counting the money you spend)?

fantomena

Fuck this shit. Buying Ducktales and Payday 2 tommorrow from Amazon.com.

To give a comparison with Steam prices. Payday 2 costs 29,99€ here on Steam, but 26,99$ on Amazon which is 20€(!) and Ducktales costs 13,99€ on Steam, but 14,99$ on Amazon which is 10€(!).

Also, anybody having troubles with the "endless" games? I mean, I have trouble with getting the enjoyment with all these endless games like Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis 3 & 4, Euro Truck Sim 2, Spelunky and a lot more.

Many of these have 2 common things, they are endless and they are addictive and i don't feel I enjoy them for what it is due to having a massive backlog. There are so many games I want to play, but I end up in finishing the small, short games instead.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Played a few hours of DuckTales Remastered. I have to say, it's pretty awesome.

VERY true to the original NES game, even remixing the original (now famous) title sequence with the new. The game is honestly exactly what the NES game would have been if they had access to today's technology.

I'm really enjoying how they've wrote miniature DuckTales episodes around each of the original levels. It gives them way more depth than they used to have. The voice acting is pretty true to the original (English-speaking) TV cartoon. It's great to see that they didn't monkey with the level design either - most everything is exactly where it should be and exactly where it was almost 25 years ago.

Bravo WayForward. I swore I would never pre-order a game again after the Borderlands 2 fiasco, but you've restored my faith in great gaming.

How long did it take you to complete? Is there much stuff to collect?

Edit: I misread your post and thought you'd finished the game. :p At least I know it's more than a few hours long! ;)

derExperte

I still haven't played L4D1/2 because i have no one who will play it with me.

That's what random internet-people are for. 95% of my time I just jumped into a lobby/game, no problem in the campaign on easy/normal. Versus is another matter of course, there you need more coordination and people love to votekick.

Grief.exe

Fuck this shit. Buying Ducktales and Payday 2 tommorrow from Amazon.com.

To give a comparison with Steam prices. Payday 2 costs 29,99€ here on Steam, but 26,99$ on Amazon which is 20€(!) and Ducktales costs 13,99€ on Steam, but 14,99$ on Amazon which is 10€(!).

Also, anybody having troubles with the "endless" games? I mean, I have trouble with getting the enjoyment with all these endless games like Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis 3 & 4, Euro Truck Sim 2, Spelunky and a lot more.

Many of these have 2 common things, they are endless and they are addictive and i don't feel I enjoy them for what it is due to having a massive backlog. There are so many games I want to play, but I end up in finishing the small, short games instead.

Just have fun and play what you want to play. Don't worry about your backlog, you will get to it eventually.

Stop games you don't like playing, complete games that you truly enjoy. Remember, its a hobby, not your job.

i have tons of stuff to play but i can't stop playing spelunky. dunder has cursed me with it.

is there any way to use the mattock to destroy squares above you? i can only hit laterally and below.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How long did it take you to complete? Is there much stuff to collect?

Edit: I misread your post and thought you'd finished the game. :p At least I know it's more than a few hours long! ;)

I haven't beat it yet but after 2 hours I had beat 3 of the 5 main levels
but then there is the return to Transylvania level
and apparently a new level.

But I also haven't had any "Game Overs" and I'm playing on Medium difficulty.

You can use the in-game money to unlock character artwork (which includes the original NES sprites for comparison - a nice touch!) which is cool since it was basically just your "score" in the original.

I suspect a playthrough would be somewhere in the realm of 4-5 hours if you're familiar with the levels, perhaps longer if not.

Sadly, there isn't much in the way of collectibles. Most of the replay value will come from trying to beat the game on a higher difficulty level, unlock all of the achievements, or unlocking all of the items in the gallery. I hear there is a bad-ass video of the original full length opening sequence from the cartoon.

Copons

That's what random internet-people are for. 95% of my time I just jumped into a lobby/game, no problem in the campaign on easy/normal. Versus is another matter of course, there you need more coordination and people love to votekick.

Yeah, but playing L4Ds campaigns with complete strangers cut away like 90% of the fun.
I rarely get to have a complete group to play, but when it happens, it may be because we're crappy players, but everything turns to total hilariousness.
L4D (but co-ops in general) with random people, on the other hand, is just a matter of run run run, ad libitum until completing the map. It loses all the pathos of having to struggle against continuous respawns and scarcity of ammo and so on.

Blizzard

Banned
Just have fun and play what you want to play. Don't worry about your backlog, you will get to it eventually.

Stop games you don't like playing, complete games that you truly enjoy. Remember, its a hobby, not your job.
This may sound trite but it's wise advice. Life is full of too many awesome things (and even too many video games) to play stuff you don't like.

Volotaire

Well, yes. It'd have to be stuff of the quality of the original campaigns though, not Cold Stream.

heh yeh man that was disappointing.

Yeah, but playing L4Ds campaigns with complete strangers cut away like 90% of the fun.
I rarely get to have a complete group to play, but when it happens, it may be because we're crappy players, but everything turns to total hilariousness.
L4D (but co-ops in general) with random people, on the other hand, is just a matter of run run run, ad libitum until completing the map. It loses all the pathos of having to struggle against continuous respawns and scarcity of ammo and so on.

You played Versus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom