• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gabe troll pic... they really should implement an automatic price difference refund if something you buy goes on sale within 2 weeks or something for a lower price. I know you can argue with a lot of online retailers and get them to honor this, but I tried Valve once, they wont do it.

Ionic

I just hope this work Square is doing with Final Fantasy on PC will help lead to FFXV coming to the platform eventually. That's one of the few games that had me eyeing the consoles.

Soi-Fong

Just when I was about to get KR0, I find out that I have no more funds on my steam wallet left.. Dammit... So... To go to my wallet then..? Hmm..

iavi

I just hope this work Square is doing with Final Fantasy on PC will help lead to FFXV coming to the platform eventually. That's one of the few games that had me eyeing the consoles.

That's kind of the idea. It's def a way of showing the series support, though how thorough they draw the connection to XV is up to them. They may take it as reason to just release early FF ports.

The_Monk

Well I believe I may have played a bit too much Beat Hazard today because when I close my eyes I see lights and things exploding fellow GAFfers.

You just get so distracted while listening music and playing the game, hours fly.

Lint21

Neo Member
I might buy Gun Monkeys just because of the dev's blogpost.

I think he nailed it when he said, "the game’s multiplayer-only concept is a tough sell." I know that I avoid MP-only games like the plague. Are there any examples of MP-only games doing well (outside of the big dogs like TF2, DotA). I can think of lots that failed, like Nuclear Dawn, The Ship, Section 8 etc.

Mrbob

Uh, so Trion Worlds dropped the price of Defiance to $9.99 right after the summer sale? I hope this is just a pricing mistake. Super shady move.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I think I found out the best way possible to solve a "should I buy this game" question.

Go out and buy literally anything. Pretty much anything you can buy on the street, be it a food or pleasure item, will cost more than most games on Steam when they're on sale.

Not counting Activision stuff, obviously.

The only problem with that rationalization is that I get full after I eat. The belly I put my Steam games in is bottomless. :)

I think he nailed it when he said, "the game’s multiplayer-only concept is a tough sell." I know that I avoid MP-only games like the plague. Are there any examples of MP-only games doing well (outside of the big dogs like TF2, DotA). I can think of lots that failed, like Nuclear Dawn, The Ship, Section 8 etc.

Killing Floor and Natural Selection II are both MP only aren't they? They seem to be doing okay at least.

Edit: Forgot Chivalry and I own it.

iavi

Oh hush you two. :p You know what I meant. These are better sales than what we got for the Steam sale.

The Steam Sale events haven't been good for a long time now. Amazon beat them handily last year, and there was no improvement this one.

Wok

I am not sure, but Chivalry and Natural Selection 2 have managed to get regular players. And this is about it.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
All Valve games do well with it.

Chivalry, NS2, etc.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Gabe troll pic... they really should implement an automatic price difference refund if something you buy goes on sale within 2 weeks or something for a lower price. I know you can argue with a lot of online retailers and get them to honor this, but I tried Valve once, they wont do it.

If they did this, they would discount less aggressively less often to make up for it. Ultimately, if you're a high knowledge customer (like most people on GAF), you prefer setups which allow the maximum possible discount for high knowledge customers, rather than setups which give discounts to everyone at the expense of the maximum magnitude of discount.

Same as, like, being in an insurance risk pool--if you're a high risk person you want everyone to be in the same risk pool to lower your costs, if you're a low risk person you want to be in a pool by yourself to lower your costs. Or same as credit cards--if you're wealthy and pay off your balance, you want cashback or rewards cards; if you're poor and run a balance, you'd prefer that those cards don't exist and the maximum amount of resources go into keeping your interest low. Basically, any time there's a fixed amount of resources that are going to benefit a group of people, if you're in the in-group you want the in-group to be smaller, and if you're in the out-group you want the group to get larger at the expense of the current in-group.

the only thing to regret is i have no time to play them in the massive backlog!!

What order are you supposed to play them anyway?

Chronologically it's Origin, I&II, OiF. I would recommend to play OiF first though, since OiF en Origin are much more modern, while I&II can feel very dated to new players to start with. If that doesn't bother you, you can play I&II first. I would keep Origin (which is my personal favourite) untill after you have played I&II though, because it's a direct prequel to those games and can spoil some of the story elements.

Volcynika

If they did this, they would discount less aggressively less often to make up for it.

Yeah. And on the other side of the coin, they don't take games away in cases of price mistakes at all. Like the early Tomb Raider games being crazily cheap for hours, no one got those revoked from their account. They seem to be more just "buy at it at the price available and that's what you'll get it for."

garath

Chronologically it's Origin, I&II, OiF. I would recommend to play OiF first though, since OiF en Origin are much more modern, while I&II can feel very dated to new players to start with. If that doesn't bother you, you can play I&II first. I would keep Origin (which is my personal favourite) untill after you have played I&II though, because it's a direct prequel to those games and can spoil some of the story elements.

I like this post. It's relevant to my interests. To ask a followup question. If you were only going to buy/play one game in the Ys series (seriously, I can't imagine adding another 4 games to the summer sale backlog), which would it be? Origins? I'd prefer the most modern and/or enjoyable gameplay.

I can maybe justify buying one game in the Ys anthology having never played them, but I'd like it to be the best one. From your post it sounds like Origin is the way to go. True?

Volcynika

I like this post. It's relevant to my interests. To ask a followup question. If you were only going to buy/play one game in the Ys series (seriously, I can't imagine adding another 4 games to the summer sale backlog), which would it be? Origins? I'd prefer the most modern and/or enjoyable gameplay.

I can maybe justify buying one game in the Ys anthology having never played them, but I'd like it to be the best one. From your post it sounds like Origin is the way to go. True?

Origin or Felghana would be good. Origin has multiple characters with different attack styles at least, while Felghana is Adol only.

Napoleonic Wars is mp only and it has a nice community.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 14 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (xelios, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dungeons: The Dark Lord -- MB-A62227DF10030972 - Taken by tjohn86
Galactic Civilizations Complete Pack -- MB-638CC1AE790FC169 - Taken by unpurposed
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams -- MB-FA8C0EA3F709D170 - Taken by Kifimbo
Kung Fu Strike: The Warrior's Rise -- MB-8D4ECB79D3A0C8A9 - Taken by Mavromatis
The Journey Down: Chapter I -- MB-379371027F70835F - Taken by C00kie M0nster
Tomb Raider I -- MB-0A35BB80098419FF - Taken by Stumpokapow
Tomb Raider II -- MB-48691245C4B7334B - Taken by Wario64
Tomb Raider III -- MB-4B02DEB1CA6B42AF - Taken by Slyjss
Tomb Raider IV -- MB-743DCD1549AEC901 - Taken by Mugatu
Tomb Raider V -- MB-7E598BFF86B611F1 - Taken by Sportbilly
Tomb Raider VI -- MB-865C38DCC451CE12 - Taken by The Super Bob
Tomb Raider: Anniversary -- MB-F43062F7E75E6F51 - Taken by Fuu
Tomb Raider: Underworld -- MB-8CF3562427BE1277 - Taken by nightstorm
Zeno Clash -- MB-4B969C03D7D17C89 - Taken by Family Fry

Grief.exe

So no Chivalry? DayZ? NSII? Tribes? Planetside 2?

You are missing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom