• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anustart

Lack of imagination. I would have liked to code something, but I'm just too old to start learning now. I know a little of Visual Basic, C++ and Java, but not enough to make something good.

How old are you if I might ask? I ask because it truly is never too late.

theytookourjobz

Runner 2 is so good... It's unbeliviable how it's improved on every aspect compared to the first.

I love both games but sometimes Runner 2 has too much shit going on in the background. Even worse is when you kick through a barricade and it flies towards you obscuring a quarter of the fucking screen. Checkpoints are great though.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Runner 2 is so good... It's unbeliviable how it's improved on every aspect compared to the first.
It lacks the sense of accomplishment that the first one had when you finally managed to beat the last stage. I love Runner 2, but it's nowhere near the same level of difficulty. Which isn't a bad thing per se, but having completed the previous game I wanted a similar challenge with this one. Can't say if it gets harder on the last stages when playing on Hard, but according to Salsa it's still fairly easy.

bonesquad

Remember the articles about that extremely unsuccessful Retro/Grade dude? He revealed what he's working on now: http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/7/23/4529198/neverending-nightmares-retro-grade-matt-gilgenbach and http://www.neverendingnightmares.com/ That trailer is actually a little disturbing.

What the hell did I just watch? I've actually really enjoyed playing Retro/Grade (with a Wii guitar). One of the few games I actually played to collect the cards:) But this, I think I'll stay away... I'll wait for it to appear on Spookin with Scoops.

I worry for that guy. Someone needs to make sure this next game releases soon before the horror game craze dies out. He took too long with Retro/Grade and missed his Guitar Hero window. Things like the game's music mixer is cool, but unneeded. Not worth the effort for an indie game.

Lack of imagination. I would have liked to code something, but I'm just too old to start learning now. I know a little of Visual Basic, C++ and Java, but not enough to make something good.

I might be biased because I've been coding for a long time... but the actual coding part is the easy part of making a game. There are enough engines and libraries out there that you can quite quickly put something together.

Now doing something that actually looks decent enough that people want to play it, now there is the challenge. This is what has always held me back. I'll code up an impressive engine and then produce something that looks like a five year old went nuts in paint for about 10 minutes. You can learn to code, but getting artistic skill seems to be a lot more difficult.

If anybody has ever felt the same way in reverse, hit me up and we'll make something.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
How old are you if I might ask? I ask because it truly is never too late.
22 since 2 weeks ago. Jshackles has been coding for the length of my whole life, and Stump started when he was 10. Yeah, it may not be too late to learn properly, but it is to do something worth playing (and/or selling) :p

I might be biased because I've been coding for a long time... but the actual coding part is the easy part of making a game. There are enough engines and libraries out there that you can quite quickly put something together.

Now doing something that actually looks decent enough that people want to play it, now there is the challenge. This is what has always held me back. I'll code up an impressive engine and then produce something that looks like a five year old went nuts in paint for about 10 minutes. You can learn to code, but getting artistic skill seems to be a lot more difficult.
Yeah, that's why I don't even consider grabbing RPG Maker or GameMaker. Not because I think they are bad engines (fucking Hotline Miami was done in GM!), but because I don't have any ideas regarding characters, environments and level design. Taking a course about game design could be interesting, I think.

ss_lemonade

22 since 2 weeks ago. Jshackles has been coding for the length of my whole life, and Stump started when he was 10. Yeah, it may not be too late to learn properly, but it is to do something worth playing (and/or selling) :p
I think you still got a lot of time to learn how to code.

I actually just started learning game development in html5/javascript. Doing this during my free time. I do have coding experience though, been a php developer for 5 or so years now but to program games is very new to me.

Dingotech

I love both games but sometimes Runner 2 has too much shit going on in the background. Even worse is when you kick through a barricade and it flies towards you obscuring a quarter of the fucking screen. Checkpoints are great though.

The barricade flying towards the screen is indeed really distracting, it takes your focus away from what obstacles are coming up next, it constantly makes me stuff up until I rope learn the patterns.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

Sorry dude, but that is just an excuse. I'm 26 and I'm currently back in college, majoring in CS. I'm not joking when I tell you I have about a weeks worth of programming knowledge. I can't even say that I know the basic stuff. If you really want to learn, it is never too late.

Anustart

Yeah, that's why I don't even consider grabbing RPG Maker or GameMaker. Not because I think they are bad engines (fucking Hotline Miami was done in GM!), but because I don't have any ideas regarding characters, environments and level design. Taking a course about game design could be interesting, I think.

22 is far from too old. You'd be surprised how easy it is to get ideas running in Unity with a little c# or JavaScript knowledge.

allansm

It lacks the sense of accomplishment that the first one had when you finally managed to beat the last stage. I love Runner 2, but it's nowhere near the same level of difficulty. Which isn't a bad thing per se, but having completed the previous game I wanted a similar challenge with this one. Can't say if it gets harder on the last stages when playing on Hard, but according to Salsa it's still fairly easy.

The difficulty was the reason I didn't pre order Runner 2. At the time, I had recently finished the first Runner (I like it a lot) and I couldn't stand playing something as difficult at the moment. 3-9 was still fresh in my mind and just I just couldn't bring myself to play something like that. Don't get me wrong, I do like a difficult game every now and then, but when I finally manage to finish one it will take months until I'm in the mood for a difficult game again. Playing Runner 2 I feel the same joy I felt when I finished a level in Runner, but without the pain that came before it.

I like the backgrounds, but the barricades obscuring the screen are indeed annoying!

Freezard

It is never too late to start learning programming. Either as a hobby or professionally. If you're serious about it though you should look for an education since that will help a lot with getting a job.

Pretty much finished my master in computer science but I'm currently learning Python and Android development for fun, which I have never touched on before. I was never a fan of functional programming languages but making a 2D game in Python is the easiest thing ever. There's just so much to explore and try out when it comes to programming.

EDIT: My Resident Evil 5 copy has still not been redeemed by the winner. I guess if it's still there when I wake up I'll re-gift it.

maty

Runner 2 is way easier than 1. You could play the whole game on hard and you'll never reach the level of difficulty Runner 1 had when trying to getting a double perfect. (I still hate the challenge level in 3-2).

The difficulty in Runner 2 lies in getting your character to dance in every empty space you have to reach a higher score.

vermadas

Went to school for CS and had a hard time landing a job after graduating college back in '02 after the bubble burst. After a few years of playing way too much EverQuest and working a retail job, I eventually got hired into a tech support position. Several more years go by and a couple promotions later and I'm programming for a living. Only very recently did I start thinking about doing some hobbyist coding on the side. Unfortunately I have twin toddlers and I spend what little free time I do have gaming. My other roadblock is that as good as I am about implementing ideas I'm not very good at coming up with them.

BorntoPlay

ah yes please.. i want RE5...XD

It is never too late to start learning programming. Either as a hobby or professionally. If you're serious about it though you should look for an education since that will help a lot with getting a job.

Pretty much finished my master in computer science but I'm currently learning Python and Android development for fun, which I have never touched on before. I was never a fan of functional programming languages but making a 2D game in Python is the easiest thing ever. There's just so much to explore and try out when it comes to programming.

EDIT: My Resident Evil 5 copy has still not been redeemed by the winner. I guess if it's still there when I wake up I'll re-gift it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I think you still got a lot of time to learn how to code.

I actually just started learning game development in html5/javascript. Doing this during my free time. I do have coding experience though, been a php developer for 5 or so years now but to program games is very new to me.
Sorry dude, but that is just an excuse. I'm 26 and I'm currently back in college, majoring in CS. I'm not joking when I tell you I have about a weeks worth of programming knowledge. I can't even say that I know the basic stuff. If you really want to learn, it is never too late.
22 is far from too old. You'd be surprised how easy it is to get ideas running in Unity with a little c# or JavaScript knowledge.
Thank you guys. I guess you're right, and I shouldn't give up. I should read about that stuff in my free time, like for example right now (promised a coworker I'd learn some PHP to help him on a little project he wants to make, so this would be a good time to start). Once again, thanks for saying that :)

And I wish you good luck with those projects/learnings, though it seems you already have the most important thing of all: motivation and a will to learn and improve.

The difficulty was the reason I didn't pre order Runner 2. At the time, I had recently finished the first Runner (I like it a lot) and I couldn't stand playing something as difficult at the moment. 3-9 was still fresh in my mind and just I just couldn't bring myself to play something like that. Don't get me wrong, I do like a difficult game every now and then, but when I finally manage to finish one it will take months until I'm in the mood for a difficult game again. Playing Runner 2 I feel the same joy I felt when I finished a level in Runner, but without the pain that came before it.
I totally understand you. I'm not a fan of overly difficult games myself, but the Bit.Trip series managed to make its way into my heart, despite being really high on the difficulty scale.

But yeah, if you like Runner's mechanics, Runner 2 is bigger and more refined in every aspect. I can't decide which one I like the most, and honestly I don't want to: both games are amazing.

RS4-

Shit, I wish I could get KRZ and maybe Merc Kings from him but he's out of KRZ and I don't even bother with Paypal, just my good ol steam wallet lol

dani_dc

22 since 2 weeks ago. Jshackles has been coding for the length of my whole life, and Stump started when he was 10. Yeah, it may not be too late to learn properly, but it is to do something worth playing (and/or selling) :p.

Despite theorically having coding classes earlier in life, I really only started to actually learn in a serious manne at 21.

A classmate of mine started learning to code near his 30's and he was easily one of the best ones in the class for the rest of my bachelor's and I hear he's doing really well at his programming job that he got after he finished his course.

You have plenty of time to learn and get good at it, you just need to get your hands dirty and go at it and not be afraid of making mistakes.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So Chrome is the leading version of ES?

Yes, the Chrome version has the most features. In addition to the newest code updates (usually within 1 hour of me uploading it to Google) it also benefits from the Google Chrome "Storage Sync" libraries. So if you are signed in to Chrome with your Google account, it will sync your Enhanced Steam settings to your account. This means if you sign in to another Chrome browser on another computer, your settings will follow you.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Thank you guys. I guess you're right, and I shouldn't give up. I should read about that stuff in my free time, like for example right now (promised a coworker I'd learn some PHP to help him on a little project he wants to make, so this would be a good time to start). Once again, thanks for saying that :)

Yeah I'll echo this: it's never too late to start learning. Even though I've been programming for 22 years, when I started working on Enhanced Steam I hadn't programmed something in Javascript in over 15 years. I had never before made a browser extension. I've had to learn a lot to make it do what it does.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Despite theorically having coding classes earlier in life, I really only started to actually learn in a serious manne at 21.

A classmate of mine started learning to code near his 30's and he was easily one of the best ones in the class for the rest of my bachelor's and I hear he's doing really well at his programming job that he got after he finished his course.

You have plenty of time to learn and get good at it, you just need to get your hands dirty and go at it and not be afraid of making mistakes.
Yeah I'll echo this: it's never too late to start learning. Even though I've been programming for 22 years, when I started working on Enhanced Steam I hadn't programmed something in Javascript in over 15 years. I had never before made a browser extension. I've had to learn a lot to make it do what it does.
Thanks a lot to you too. I've decided I will try to learn. If I never end up making something good, at least I could say that I tried.

Dinosur

And this is why GMG is the best. Pre-ordered XCOM Bureau and had some credit left over from during their summer sale...

547bgGQ.jpg

Dinosur

they give credits for buying games during their summer sale?

There was something I bought that put $6 in my account

edit: Oh shit, it was just from Brave New World pre-order. Sorry for being a liar, apologies.

I still seem to remember a 6 hour sale block that gave $2 credit for something so hopefully I'm not completely crazy.

And this is why GMG is the best. Pre-ordered XCOM Bureau and had some credit left over from during their summer sale...

547bgGQ.jpg

I just saw the pre-order tiers for XCOM Bureau. Going to have to drop some money on a pre-order as well. Especially since there is another (EDIT) 25% coupon (GMG25-VJWFX-5O2IL) active and usable on said pre-order.

There was something I bought that put $6 in my account

edit: Oh shit, it was just from Brave New World pre-order. Sorry for being a liar, apologies.

I still seem to remember a 6 hour sale block that gave $2 credit for something so hopefully I'm not completely crazy.

Nice to see someone else interested in/excited for The Bureau. Preordered as soon as it showed up on Steam, wasn't interested in the game at all after they dropped the FPS version but after seeing the Giantbomb Quicklook with the devs, I was sold. It looks fantastic.

Dinosur

I just saw the pre-order tiers for XCOM Bureau. Going to have to drop some money on a pre-order as well. Especially since there is another 20% coupon active and usable on said pre-order.

GMG20-NYMS7-460MO doesn't work on XCOM. Please don't tell me there's a different one because I didn't use it :(

Nice to see someone else interested in/excited for The Bureau. Preordered as soon as it showed up on Steam, wasn't interested in the game at all after they dropped the FPS version but after seeing the Giantbomb Quicklook with the devs, I was sold. It looks fantastic.

Quicklook is what sold me on it too.

GMG20-NYMS7-460MO doesn't work on XCOM. Please don't tell me there's a different one because I didn't use it :(

Quicklook is what sold me on it too.

Sorry to disappoint, but there is another 25% coupon: GMG25-VJWFX-5O2IL (works with 'The Bureau' preorders). You still got a sweet deal though, don't sweat it out.

EDIT: For those curious, the current reward offers for 'The Bureau' preorders are:

Level 1 (unlocked):
Get 10% off when you pre-purchase The Bureau: XCOM Declassified and get the Codebreakers DLC free!

Level 2 (locked):
Your FREE copy of Spec Ops: The Line is unlocked when the number of pre-purchases hit Level 2

Level 3 (locked):
When pre-purchase sales hit Level 3, as well as the previous benefits, you will also get a Free XCOM Ultimate Bundle, featuring XCOM:Enemy Unknown, Elite Soldier DLC, Slingshot DLC and 4x XCOM Classics (Steamworks) titles including UFO Defence, Terror from the Deep, Apocalypse and Enforce.

It's not applying for me. Are there other restrictions?

Not that I'm aware of. It worked without issue for me. Are you copying/pasting the code? I find that it often won't allow you to apply a code if you copy/paste. You need to delete the last digit/letter and re-enter it on the keyboard for the 'Apply' button to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom