• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovin' Payday 2 so far. I wish there wasn't such a heavy DoF when aiming though, you can't see well what's going on around you. It's not a big deal though, once I get my shotty I guess I'll pretty much always fire from the hip like in PD1.

Caerith

Welp, I think I hit a nerve.

wjffi9g.png

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42... what did you do to get that many notifications?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
PES being GFWL would be pretty hilarious, you have to admit. It'd cut off a lot of their target audience: people who claim to be from made-up countries in South America.
I actually claim to be from 2 very real countries: US (Amazon and GFWL) and Canada (3DS eShop). So joke's on you!

Actually, it's still on me. After all, I'm the one who has to lie about his nationality :/

Copons

YO!
I was idling Indie Game Movie and first drop was Phil card!
I wonder if I put it on sale at an absurd price he will buy it.

catabarez

Most likely what will happen is Capcom will have a desperate registry app for Ultra.

They will stop selling older versions of SSIV and abandon the online as well.

They offer the upgrade to the ultra version. When you upgrade it will switch your license from the older version to ultra. Prompting a reinstall and new netcode.

Most likely Microsoft told these companies GFWL won't be supported after 2013 or 2014. Ultra is an answer to that.

The writing is on the wall. GFWL will probably not be present in Ultra.

uh huh

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
They love it so much they've forgot to put it in a bunch of recent games.

Really? Vanilla released on july of 2009, it's been 4 years using GFWL through all iterations released on PC, Ultra is not a new game, it's just an expansion like AE 2012. If it was a new game I can see them using other matchmaking system but after 4 years I'm pretty sure they won't change it.

I hate lying about my nationality (but it's really necessary in some cases), that's one of the things I love about Steam, I don't even have to worry about it and when a game isn't available in my region I can always ask someone to give it to me.

My GFWL account is chilean now at least, while my PSN account is from the US (it sucks here).

I'm willing to bet a $15 Steam game that Ultra will not use GFWL

So did they remove GFWL from Batman:AA and Bioshock 2 yet? oh wait they didn't.

The amount times you bumped that crazy thread of yours, you could've finished both games probably gotten all the achievements and enjoyed yourself.

But no instead you put on your Tinfoil hat and wait for GFWL to removed, its not even much a hassle, you just install the game and GFWL will ask for a key, you input it and then you're done. oh noes its so hard.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ask Capcom is back up, but unsurprisingly there's no info regarding what Capcom's plans are vis-a-vis Ultra and GFWL.

While I do think Ultra using Steamworks is possible, I don't think it wise to completely discount the idea that having an upgrade option on the PC side engenders the distinct possibility of GFWL being retained.

Deadbeat

Banned

The amount times you bumped that crazy thread of yours, you could've finished both games probably gotten all the achievements and enjoyed yourself.

But no instead you put on your Tinfoil hat and wait for GFWL to removed, its not even much a hassle, you just install the game and GFWL will ask for a key, you input it and then you're done. oh noes its so hard.
The doubt is strong in this one. Those changes in the registry wouldnt be happening if like you say, nothing is happening.

currently watching the Indie Game movie and I'm glad I bought FEZ, deep down I think Phil is just a normal guy who reacts as many of us would in those situations. it has to be hard working under those conditions, plus I didn't know FEZ was done enterely by just 2 people, impressive.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

To be fair, the achievements aren't live yet. ;)

jediyoshi

I'd love to see how exponentially longer this post would be if you also covered ensuring DLC bought through GFWL also worked on a Steam version of the game

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Wow. 1000 Amps is a marvellous little thing. Stealing the description from someone else:
tyezAe9.jpg

1000 Amps is a greyscale indie puzzle/platformer in which you play as Plug, a little dude who lights up whatever he touches. Your goal is to restore power to the Amp-Tree-System, a now darkened labyrinth of over 150 compartments, & defeat the intruder.

Every room contains light nodes & activating them all will light that room up permanently. A battery meter which fills based on % of nodes activated is also present for each room & determines how high you can jump there. You will have to work your way to the special powerup & story rooms. Powerups include click to warp, increased touch radius, node radar, double jump & being able to destroy creatures that eat light.

I wasnt quite in the mood for it on my first try, but this game is pretty cool due to its non linear approach that just lets you explore, unintrusive puzzles, some smart puzzle designs and a metroidvania progression where you find skills to progress in other parts of the dungeon. Found quite a few rooms I would need to backtrack too, so there are plenty of incentives to go exploring. The sound design is a bit of a missed opportunity since I think a subtle ambient soundtrack would have been rather fitting, but there is at least the sound coming from making the rooms light up, which works rather well in itself.

Cant think of any other puzzle metroidvania style game, so thumbs up on this one. Marvellous little game if you dont expect any world changing experience. Highly recommended pickup during a sale.

Maybe someone else picked it up during the sale and didnt play it yet, check it out!

To be fair, the achievements aren't live yet. ;)

If really wanted to get all the achievements in Bioshock 2, you should hijack a time machine go to 2010 and get achievements cause the multi died in the first week, I got the game day 1 and there was MAYBE 10 people playing on DAY 1!

Hesemonni

Banned

Look, it's the Dark Souls on PC sucks I refuse to play it -dude! Sup?

I just woke up a few minutes ago and discover that Indie Game: The Movie has card drops? Steam might as well have card drops for browsing the store now.

ArjanN

Those sound like bettin' words.

If really wanted to get all the achievements in Bioshock 2, you should hijack a time machine go to 2010 and get achievements cause the multi died in the first week, I got the game day 1 and there was MAYBE 10 people playing on DAY 1!

Nah, once the steam achievements go live, there'll be a bunch of people trying to get
boost
those achievements.

Cant think of any other puzzle metroidvania style game, so thumbs up on this one. Marvellous little game if you dont expect any world changing experience. Highly recommended pickup during a sale.

Off the top of my head, the only other one I can think of like that is Warp. 1000 Amps sounds cool, I'm always ready for another 2D puzzle adventure, thanks for the heads up!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

May I ask you what is your problem? He's letting us know about any news regarding the matter. Feel free to put him on your ignore list if it bothers you so much, I think we could all do without this kind of snide remarks.

And maybe you haven't noticed, but there ARE some people who wants GFWL gone from their games, me included. The fact that you haven't had any trouble with it and that you don't care about it means nothing to us, and that cheap sarcasm helps nobody.

If you want a smart discussion about why we may want it gone then I'll be glad to humor you, but if all you want to do is make fun of people when you don't care about their opinions then I'll proceed to ignore you from now on.

Speaking of the devil, can you actually activate games offline? It'd be hilarious if some games can no longer be played because they were never installed.
This comes up a lot whenever GFWL is mentioned. People assume the worst because of all the hate sent its way, however, there is actually no activation (for the vast majority of titles) required.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Man, this post makes so much more sense when I imagine you really struggling to push out a few rabbit turds while on the toilet.

JustinBB7

Have you ever even used GFWL? It's not as simple as entering your key and done.

Usually it goes like this:

1.Launch game.
2.Enter key.
3.Enter key again for GFWL.
4.Restart game because GFWL wants you too.
5.Something went wrong with GFWL restart again.
6.Play game.
7.Play again later, GFWL update, restart game.
8.Save files gone.

GFWL is pure shit.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Off the top of my head, the only other one I can think of like that is Warp. 1000 Amps sounds cool, I'm always ready for another 2D puzzle adventure, thanks for the heads up!

Warp didnt have a completely open world basically though. I mean your progress is hindered through some stuff you cant access yet, but there is no levels at all, just one map with 150 rooms.

FEZ and Toki Tori 2+ come to mind.

But yeah, 1000 Amps is great. Highly recommended if you don't mind the sparse visual style.

Ah yeah, those two fit the bill nicely.

maneil99

steam market is so UI unfriendly, just sold my genuine awp for 1.50 when I check the listings, there was only 10 on sale starting at 3.80, steam told me they were selling for 1.53.

Grief.exe

Are you going to make an argument or just ad hominem attacks?

You have to take a leap, but the evidence is there. And there are some questions to answer.

Why would both companies spend months updating old games? Why do all 3 games have QA Betas and Test Updates in the depots? Why are achievements being added (since that would be redundant)? Why was Minerva's den added now (desperate apps within sold outside of GFWL don't play well)?

Gaaraz

In the sale I stored every game in my inventory in case I decided at a later date I didn't want them and could give them to someone on here, someone on Steamgifts or whatever... but I've just realised a couple of games I've accidentally bought twice (due to them not disappearing from my Android cart when I bought them)

I notice Steam says no refunds, so I guess I'm out of luck with that?

May I ask you what is your problem? He's letting us know about any news regarding the matter. Feel free to put him on your ignore list if it bothers you so much, I think we could all do without this kind of snide remarks.

And maybe you haven't noticed, but there ARE some people who wants GFWL gone from their games, me included. The fact that you haven't had any trouble with it and that you don't care about it means nothing to us, and that cheap sarcasm helps nobody.

If you want a smart discussion about why we may want it gone then I'll be glad to humor you, but if all you want to do is make fun of people when you don't care about their opinions then I'll proceed to ignore you from now on.

While his wording could've been more careful, he has a point. Aside from "the app has been updated again" we know nothing, and everything is pure speculation. Of course getting GFWL removed would be cool, but we also could just wait and see what happens. I don't really see the point of hyping this up to these absurd levels.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. 1000 Amps is a marvellous little thing. Stealing the description from someone else:
tyezAe9.jpg

I wasnt quite in the mood for it on my first try, but this game is pretty cool due to its non linear approach that just lets you explore, unintrusive puzzles, some smart puzzle designs and a metroidvania progression where you find skills to progress in other parts of the dungeon. Found quite a few rooms I would need to backtrack too, so there are plenty of incentives to go exploring. The sound design is a bit of a missed opportunity since I think a subtle ambient soundtrack would have been rather fitting, but there is at least the sound coming from making the rooms light up, which works rather well in itself.

Maybe someone else picked it up during the sale and didnt play it yet, check it out!
I did pick it up during a previous sale, but haven't touched it yet. Thanks to this post, I will play it... someday... maybe.

DukeBobby

This is even worse than your post where you said that Dragon Age 2 was a better sequel than The Witcher 2.

Acccent

It's zero hour, here is the Special Giveaway Challenge Finale!

Please welcome the champions:
  • maneil99 - Under the Ocean
  • JoseOle5990 - Thomas was Alone
  • Widdly Scuds - Blocks That Matter
  • rainking187 - Gemini Rue
  • HoosTrax - Cart Life
  • Fireblend - Incredipede
  • derExperte - Dyad
  • Kifimbo - Starseed Pilgrim
  • chronomac - Super Hexagon
  • Firehead - Lunar Pack
These ten fine youngsters all get a chance to participate in the final challenge, to try and win the Grand Prix: Kentucky Route Zero!

Here are the challenge rules:

First of all, you'll have to find me on Steam and add me. I will ask you a simple question.
If you manage to give me the correct answer, I will give you the password.

Now here's where it gets tricky: you'll have to find another GAF member who'll agree to be your accomplice. You'll give the password to your accomplice, and they will have to PM it back to me.
Whenever I receive a PM with the password from someone who isn't a champion, I will reply with a deceitful hint. You'll have to ask your accomplice to let you know the hint, which will allow you to find one particular picture on the Internet.

The first champion who posts that picture in this thread PMs it to me will be declared the ultimate winner!

There is no deadline. Please only send one PM at a time (wait until I replied before trying something else.)
If you already have KRZ, I'm terribly sorry, this is the only gift... If you win, you'll be able to gift it to whoever you want.

Note to everyone: if one of the champions asks you to be their accomplice, don't feel the need to make their life easy. You're in a position of power.

Have you ever even used GFWL? It's not as simple as entering your key and done.

Usually it goes like this:

1.Launch game.
2.Enter key.
3.Enter key again for GFWL.
4.Restart game because GFWL wants you too.
5.Something went wrong with GFWL restart again.
6.Play game.
7.Play again later, GFWL update, restart game.
8.Save files gone.

GFWL is pure shit.

I bought several games on GFWL client, nearly have 2 dozen GFWL titles, yeah I do know a thing or two.

Knurek

I did pick it up during a previous sale, but haven't touched it yet. Thanks to this post, I will play it... someday... maybe.

Oh yeah, BTW, you can sequence break in 1000 Amps if you know what you're doing - I've picked up the last upgrade immediately after picking up the first one. Made the rest of the game much, much easier. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom