• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh, they stack? I've been wondering about that since 10% is such a paltry discount.

Well, the game is just two weeks old. ;) But, yeah, they do. I used one when buying the game during the Summer Sale and gave out the few spares I had.

Salsa

Sadly this isn't true, Ultra SFIV will use GFWL for matchmaking in 2014 so it's not dead yet.

what?

ibreY0zaGRNXsV.PNG

then again I did wonder how they were gonna handle the $15 upgrade if one was GFWL and the other wasnt

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
There's NO WAY capcom will change that, the netcode + gfwl has to be very deep in the source code, it will be very hard and cost a substantial amount of cash to make a change that big.

Edit: I know the game will release on steam just like AE and vanilla but I don't see Capcom using steam's matchmaking.

JaseC

Capcom moved to steamworks and the trailer for Ultra said steam.

But it stands to reason that Ultra will retain GFWL if there's to be an upgrade option on the PC as SFIV uses it. I mentioned this when the game was announced and everybody was assuming it'd be Steamworks.

zkylon

zkylewd
for me and my friends it's a general love for pes, just seeing all the differences every year, how fixed bugs come back from the grave and general goofiness around how shitty it still is for whatever reason.

I mean I've been playing this shit ever since I'm like 8 and my stepbrother gifted me a pirated all japanese teams winning eleven game

also fifa doesn't recognize my friends' shitty third party controllers so good and it's hell on earth to manually set them up (and runs like shit on my friend's pc)
I just realized I wrote the word 'shit' like 12 times in this post lol

dude, playing "la winning" is still very much the tradition, but FIFA got better, and got them beat

also its weird, in my own experience everyone still plays PES 8 on PS2 in Uruguay and Argentina but if you go to say.. Chile, everyone's playing FIFA

I sat in a house in Santiago with 6 other people and wanted to play PES and everyone was like "wtf" and put in FIFA
we call it "el winis" but yup

also everyone's playing fifa here too, but I just love the budgety feel of pes. I don't even care which game is better, shit like victor valdes turning invisible mid game just does it for me

But it stands to reason that Ultra will retain GFWL if there's to be an upgrade option on the PC as SFIV uses it. I mentioned this when the game was announced and everybody was assuming it'd be Steamworks.

The upgrade versions if anything will have it but not the separate version. I am not even sure if the upgrade will be on pc,when they mention that in the trailer they specify ps3/360 only.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
There's NO WAY capcom will change that, the netcode + gfwl has to be very deep in the source code, it will be very hard and cost a substantial amount of cash to make a change that big.
While I'm not trying to say it is easy, it isn't that hard either. Gotham City Imposters made the switch from GFWL to Steamworks and it's a free to play game.

So upgrading from SFIVAE to USFIV removes GFWL?
That's the current speculation. Capcom hasn't released a press release or anything.

Peff

Or, you know, when the time comes they'll patch/replace the current game with USFIV with the Ultra content locked until you purchase the DLC and leave the full game as the only possible option to buy in the store.

Ideally.

Salsa

honestly between BioShock 2 and Arkham City *MAYBE* (optimistic grief) droppin GFWL at the same time, I just gather MS is sending shit out like "hey we aint gonna support this anymore starting next-gen, so you guys that use it wont be able to do online with it", and everyone's just slowly removing it.

Grief.exe

Most likely what will happen is Capcom will have a desperate registry app for Ultra.

They will stop selling older versions of SSIV and abandon the online as well.

They offer the upgrade to the ultra version. When you upgrade it will switch your license from the older version to ultra. Prompting a reinstall and new netcode.

Most likely Microsoft told these companies GFWL won't be supported after 2013 or 2014. Ultra is an answer to that.

The writing is on the wall. GFWL will probably not be present in Ultra.

Caerith

So, nobody's really sure how USFIV is going to work. With what we've seen so far it's easy to infer that they'd remove GFWL and use Steamworks instead, but that can't be easy or cheap and we haven't seen confirmation one way or the other.

"Wait! I think this guy's dead. Better check for a pulse."

"Okay!"

*discharges plasma cannon into GFWL's chest multiple times, blowing out its ribcage*

"...no pulse."

I say we take off and nuke GFWL from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

JaseC

honestly between BioShock 2 and Arkham City *MAYBE* (optimistic grief) droppin GFWL at the same time, I just gather MS is sending shit out like "hey we aint gonna support this anymore starting next-gen, so you guys that use it wont be able to do online with it", and everyone's just slowly removing it.

I don't see MS retiring GFWL as an ongoing service. Obviously there's no reason to maintain it as a platform, but it's ingrained in dozens of games and, more to the point, Microsoft hasn't patched out GFWL from any of its own titles.

Most likely what will happen is Capcom will have a desperate registry app for Ultra.

They will stop selling older versions of SSIV and abandon the online as well.

They offer the upgrade to the ultra version. When you upgrade it will switch your license from the older version to ultra. Prompting a reinstall and new netcode.

Most likely Microsoft told these companies GFWL won't be supported after 2013 or 2014. Ultra is an answer to that.

The writing is on the wall. GFWL will probably not be present in Ultra.

Please stop with these delusions.

Salsa

I don't see MS retiring GFWL as an ongoing service. Obviously there's no reason to maintain it as a platform, but it's ingrained in dozens of games and, more to the point, Microsoft hasn't patched out GFWL from any of its own titles.

that's cause MS doesnt give a fuck, either they remove it down the line or they dont and leave the games without any online access/possibility of buying DLC

it all depends on how much it costs them to mantain it and whatnot

I mean, I wouldnt rule out them trying again by rebranding it and make it into something else once xbone is out, maybe that's the thing

Grief.exe

Please stop with these delusions.

If Microsoft cared about returns from those games they would have them available on other digital distribution platforms. In Halo 2's case,not even for sale at all.

Peff

Speaking of the devil, can you actually activate games offline? It'd be hilarious if some games can no longer be played because they were never installed.

JaseC

that's cause MS doesnt give a fuck, either they remove it down the line or they dont and leave the games without any online access/possibility of buying DLC

it all depends on how much it costs them to mantain it and whatnot

I mean, I wouldnt rule out them trying again by rebranding it and make it into something else once xbone is out, maybe that's the thing

Maintaining GFWL as a service would cost Microsoft next to nothing. It's literally just product activation, achievements (assuming there's some server-side stuff there) and basic network functionality.

If Microsoft cared about returns from those games they would have them available on other digital distribution platforms. In Halo 2's case,not even for sale at all.

Completely irrelevant, and there are a few Microsoft-published GFWL titles on Steam (Fable 3, for one). "Publishers are abandoning GFWL, therefore Microsoft will kill off GFWL" is putting 2 + 2 together and coming up with 5.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...

IMO Ultra will use Live, I wish it didn't but I don't see Capcom changing it. And until MS explicitly kills Live I have no reason to believe otherwise, at least with the information we have now.

Blablurn

it's the truth dude

to be fair, it's good because they pretty much stole everything good from PES 8 onwards

dude, playing "la winning" is still very much the tradition, but FIFA got better, and got them beat

also its weird, in my own experience everyone still plays PES 8 on PS2 in Uruguay and Argentina but if you go to say.. Chile, everyone's playing FIFA

I sat in a house in Santiago with 6 other people and wanted to play PES and everyone was like "wtf" and put in FIFA

It is, it really is.

I played over 200h of FIFA13 on the PC. And this fucking games, games. I'm fairly good but it's impossible to master this game because it always comes up with fucking asshole scripts to destroy ur momentum.

Prophane33

As someone who's never played anything like Crusader Kings II before, what DLC is worth getting?

Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome, The Republic, and The Old Gods have the biggest influence on who/how you play. Ignore Sunset Invasion. All the rest of the DLC is just cosmetic.

Edit: I know the game will release on steam just like AE and vanilla but I don't see Capcom using steam's matchmaking.

Do you think the PS3 and 3DS versions use GFWL? I would think the transport layer would not be a big deal to swap out.

chronomac

I had a question about building a machine before and I got more responses here than I did at the "I need a New PC!" thread so I figured I'd ask another. Granted I have posted this over there, but I figured I'd let you guys help me out too:

So I think I might start building my own machine, little by little. I found this budget setup on reddit. I like everything except the DVD writer, which I'm leaving off, and Windows 7, where I'll substitute 8.

Do you guys think that's a good build for less than $500?

Also, if I wanted to substitute a motherboard that supported HDMI, what would be a good one? I plan on connecting this thing to my 42" 1080p TV, so I assume HDMI would work well...unless you guys think VGA is sufficient (which my TV does support).

Nabs

QLOC has the ability to do a Steamworks network port, so I don't see why Capcom wouldn't do it. I know it'll make people mad, but fuck it. The positives are too great to ignore. They get to reach more people and they don't have to deal with the stupid fucking patching system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom