• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acccent

So only the people who have already won can win, again? Eh what? Posting it in this thread for everyone to see and then saying 'lol not for you!' is probably not the best idea.

I posted it in the thread because 1) since it was the last challenge in a series I thought some people might be interested in seeing how it unfolds, 2) the challenge involves asking other people for a little bit of cooperation and 3) I can only send 1 PM at a time and I wanted everyone to get the chance to read the rules simultaneously.

However, I do acknowledge that this challenge has been causing some 'spam' in the thread (ie ~2 posts per page across a couple of days) so I apologize about that, it wasn't a factor I considered when thinking about the initial rules. Next time I make a similar giveaway I won't make the same mistake!

in related news, kentucky =/= route zero

Friend who uses Window 8 and has similar hardware and uses the same driver version can play Lost Planet 2 with no issues. Guess it is a Windows 8.1 deal, what a bummer. All other GFWL games work post re-install. Lost Planet 2 just won't start past the launcher :/

First major 8.1 beta issue, doubt I'll revert to 8 just to play this one game. Should I contact Capcom about it or would they not do anything?

maneil99

Friend who uses Window 8 and has similar hardware and uses the same driver version can play Lost Planet 2 with no issues. Guess it is a Windows 8.1 deal, what a bummer. All other GFWL games work post re-install. Lost Planet 2 just won't start past the launcher :/

First major 8.1 beta issue, doubt I'll revert to 8 just to play this one game. Should I contact Capcom about it or would they not do anything?

That Answers your question

Acccent

So the answer to Accent's challenge is this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0f/Kentucky_(USA).jpg

...given the hints provided (Wikipedia + Kentucky). Am I correct sir?

Yep, we have a winner!

Thanks to everyone who participated. I hope you enjoyed it!
Sorry again to all who was annoyed by the posts.

To those wondering, here's how it went:
  • First, you had to find me on Steam. That was prety easy, my ID is the same as on GAF and I had edited two older posts to put the URL in them in case people looked for that.
  • Then I asked "What time is it?" - pretty easy as well, you just had to give me the time in my timezone (France.) You could see my location in my Steam profile and I also posted the finale's rules at midnight, saying "it's zero hour."
  • The password was "Wikipedia" - it wasn't explicitly stated that this was a hint, but it was one indeed.
  • The actual 'hint' was Kentucky. However, I had warned that it was deceitful...
  • When looking for Kentucky on Wikipedia, in the disambiguation pages, you can find Kentucky (Horse). The two later hints lead to that ("There's a horse in the picture" and "kentucky =/= route zero".)
  • The image on that page is the one I was looking for:
250px-Kentucky_%28USA%29.jpg

I'll be sending out the gifts now!

PS: KRZ is still on sale for ~7 hours, go pick it up if you didn't win ;)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Reposting for currently awake GAF because this game is really neat:

Wow. 1000 Amps is a marvellous little thing. Stealing the description from someone else:
tyezAe9.jpg

1000 Amps is a greyscale indie puzzle/platformer in which you play as Plug, a little dude who lights up whatever he touches. Your goal is to restore power to the Amp-Tree-System, a now darkened labyrinth of over 150 compartments, & defeat the intruder.

Every room contains light nodes & activating them all will light that room up permanently. A battery meter which fills based on % of nodes activated is also present for each room & determines how high you can jump there. You will have to work your way to the special powerup & story rooms. Powerups include click to warp, increased touch radius, node radar, double jump & being able to destroy creatures that eat light.

I wasnt quite in the mood for it on my first try, but this game is pretty cool due to its non linear approach that just lets you explore, unintrusive puzzles, some smart puzzle designs and a metroidvania progression where you find skills to progress in other parts of the dungeon. Found quite a few rooms I would need to backtrack too, so there are plenty of incentives to go exploring. The sound design is a bit of a missed opportunity since I think a subtle ambient soundtrack would have been rather fitting, but there is at least the sound coming from making the rooms light up, which works rather well in itself.

Cant think of any other 2D puzzle metroidvania style game, so thumbs up on this one (Edit: Some others suggested FEZ, Gateways and Toki Tori2 which all fit the bill quite nicely) . Marvellous little game if you dont expect any world changing experience. Highly recommended pickup during a sale.

Maybe someone else picked it up during the sale and didnt play it yet, check it out!

Copons

Oi Toma, just wanted to personally thank you for Reus.
That shit is mesmerizing as hell. I'm at 5 hours in and I don't feel I've got the grasp of every mechanic, but I'm grinding developments like a WoW chinese farmer, and it's beautiful and engaging and I dunno, I'm putting off Civ5 just to be sure to go a lot deeper in Reus than where I'm currently in.

That shit is mesmerizing as hell. I'm at 5 hours in and I don't feel I've got the grasp of every mechanic, but I'm grinding developments like a WoW chinese farmer, and it's beautiful and engaging and I dunno, I'm putting off Civ5 just to be sure to go a lot deeper in Reus than where I'm currently in.

I wish somebody gave Reus developers some funding so that they can make a Populous 3/Black & White.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Glad I got a few people to try it who seem to enjoy it :) Very well designed game that definitely deserves some love.

I wish somebody gave Reus developers some funding so that they can make a Populous 3/Black & White.

For the moment, I just want them to put the money into Reus. I really want some new features like the mentioned weather and leviathan systems to give the game a bigger amount of depth.

Glad I got a few people to try it who seem to enjoy it :) Very well designed game that definitely deserves some love.

For the moment, I just want them to put the money into Reus. I really want some new features like the mentioned weather and leviathan systems to give the game a bigger amount of depth.

Have they mentioned content future content updates? No better way for an indie dev to develop an unconditionally supportive fanbase than free content updates! Some nicely priced dlc (re substantial content updates) would also be really appreciated.

I've been playing Reus all day and loving the casual pace that the giants walk, the music and visuals are so peaceful, and the gameplay is involving. But how do you pronounce it? At the moment I say it like it rhymes with Zeus.

Toma

Have they mentioned content future content updates? No better way for an indie dev to develop an unconditionally supportive fanbase than free content updates! Some nicely priced dlc (re substantial content updates) would also be really appreciated.

I've been playing Reus all day and loving the casual pace that the giants walk, the music and visuals are so peaceful, and the gameplay is involving. But how do you pronounce it? At the moment I say it like it rhymes with Zeus.

Lets just say that we filled 3 pages in the last thread for the correct pronunciation so its probably better not to start that discussion again :p
Edit: Thanks Alien Bob.

But yeah, they did mention additional content shortly after the release where they said that they'd love to throw in some more stuff (since they had ideas that were cut out for the retail release, like the weather system) if the game sells well enough. A few weeks ago they confirmed that they are working on a big content patch (which could be either more plants, animals, buildings or a new mechanic like the weather), while simultaneously having a few devs working on porting and downscaling the requirements.

Thats all we know so far I think.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Bought the Grand Theft Auto III trilogy during the Summer sale and this is kinda messing with my OCD...

iFCXgM2KNKCay.png

The ones with icons are the Windows versions. The ones without the icons are the Mac versions. Not only is the lack of icon on these three games bugging the heck out of me but the fact that these are the only games I have or have seen that have separate Mac and Windows entries. I understand the Mac versions came way later, but still. So did Super Meat Boy and many other games.

Who was asleep at the keyboard when they put these into the database? lol

Copons

Bought the Grand Theft Auto III trilogy during the Summer sale and this is kinda messing with my OCD...

iFCXgM2KNKCay.png

The ones with icons are the Windows versions. The ones without the icons are the Mac versions. Not only is the lack of icon on these three games bugging the heck out of me but the fact that these are the only games I have or have seen that have separate Mac and Windows entries. I understand the Mac versions came way later, but still. So did Super Meat Boy and many other games.

IIRC Civ4 entries too have Win/Mac duplicates.
It's something I really hate.

Copons

Also, talking about how Steam client manages our libraries, as mine grew in size, I started to miss a better way to order and filter stuff.
Right now we just have the possibility to put a game in a category, but I think it's barely enough for any library bigger than ~50 games.

I'm not necessarily thinking at something complex like iTunes. Just adding a tagging system would be enough, at least for me.

Knurek

Also, talking about how Steam client manages our libraries, as mine grew in size, I started to miss a better way to order and filter stuff.
Right now we just have the possibility to put a game in a category

Just wait till Steam decides to randomly delete these categories for you. :)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Right now we just have the possibility to put a game in a category, but I think it's barely enough for any library bigger than ~50 games.

I'm not necessarily thinking at something complex like iTunes. Just adding a tagging system would be enough, at least for me.
I'd be glad with being able to properly sort the games in a franchise.

Toma

Making some good progress in 1000 amps:
oGJY3Ur.png

Definitely very rewarding to find more skills that open up some new paths and to learn how the puzzles can be solved.

Copons

Just wait till Steam decided to randomly delete these categories for you. :)

Already happened several times, of course! :)
Actually, I'm surprised I've got my couple of categories (like: Telltale fucking episodic Lucas graphic adventures) up for 6 months or so.

But anyway, I'm almost at 200 games and just looking at the megablob of the unfiltered library, I honestly don't know what is what.

Like, that one game there, have I completed it yet?
That other one, has it got cards?
Have I dropped them all?
Or, like, ok that game I know I played it, but can't remember if it is any good. Why the hell I can't rate it with the omnipresent five stars system?

I'm actually building a small app using Steam Web API to at least be able to rate games and to check when I finished them.
It's also useful because this way I can do every kind of stuff with my library, like cool image grids of my games.

But fuck, wouldn't it be better if was Valve itself creating this kind of features?

Knurek

Making some good progress in 1000 amps:
oGJY3Ur.png

Definitely very rewarding to find more skills that open up some new paths and to learn how the puzzles can be solved.

Toma, if you missed my message - you can (and should) sequence break and pick up the last update as soon as you get access to the teleporter room (and have 5 seeds I think). Makes the game much more enjoyable IMO.

kafiend

Nice to see the Marvel Heroes Avengers Assemble Pack at 71 in the charts. Hope I never see another f2p crap/booster/pay to win on special again.

Toma

Toma, if you missed my message - you can (and should) sequence break and pick up the last update as soon as you get access to the teleporter room (and have 5 seeds I think). Makes the game much more fun IMO.

Ah okay, will see what happens. Was thinking of a good reason to use those seeds somewhere anyway.

Toma

Ah okay, will see what happens. Was thinking of a good reason to use those seeds somewhere anyway.

Hm, I just got the upgrade, but isnt that immsensely game breaking? Seems like there wont be much challenge left now in figuring out the puzzles. Might revert back to the backup I just made.

Knurek

Please note that the last upgrade
changes the power meter to always be full
which eases up many puzzles considerably, so it's up to you whether you want that or not.
Keep a backup save just in case.

//EDIT: Beaten by seconds. :)

Toma

Please note that the last upgrade
changes the power meter to always be full
which eases up many puzzles considerably, so it's up to you whether you want that or not.
Keep a backup save just in case.

//EDIT: Beaten by seconds. :)

Yeah, reverted back to the save since figuring out the puzzles is what I most like about the game, maybe you want so suggest the backup thing immediately next time you suggest that ;p

Zeknurn

Run the compatibility wizard on the executable and go with whatever it suggests. I've found that plenty of games crash when alt tabbing on 8.1 but run just fine when set to Windows 8 or Windows 7 compatibility mode.

Knurek

Yeah, reverted back to the save since I figuring out the puzzles is what I most like about the game, maybe you want so suggest the backup thing immediately next time you suggest that ;p

It's been a few months since I cleared the game, just needed a while to recall what exactly sequence breaking changed. :)

It was still quite hard to clear even with that, YMMV of course.

The_Monk

Toma deserves some sort of indie related tag.

We all know Bro Toma by now fellow GAFfer. Same with todd, and many more. Such a group of amazing people.

Anyway I just saw there was an update for the XP on the Badges and I need to get back on my Backlog as soon as possible.

I posted a ModBot raffle for FTL, System Shock 2 and Terraria yesterday that ends this afternoon. You still have time to enter so check post #2948 if you are interested.

Also:

50% OFF Triple Town

(Valid until Wed Jul 31 2013 16:28:52 GMT+0100 (GMT Daylight Time))
If you would like it please friend request me on Steam

http://steamcommunity.com/id/wooandindeedhoo/

or give me your profile link so I can FC you.

I'll then gift it to you via trade where you trade me nothing nada zip.

Run the compatibility wizard on the executable and go with whatever it suggests. I've found that plenty of games crash when alt tabbing on 8.1 but run just fine when set to Windows 8 or Windows 7 compatibility mode.

Tried it and no luck, this is the first game I've ever had that just won't start. And the first real issue I've had with Windows 8 or 8.1(New Vegas ENBs required some adjustment)

It's really frustrating, was really looking forward to it.
An example of what happens, just shuts with no warning. Is there a way to see why it's doing this? Is it just not launching the actual game? I have no idea. And to clarify every other GFWL game works, overlay and all. Although the re-installation process killed some of my saves. This whole thing is a mess, I never truly despised GFWL before now.

Toma

We all know Bro Toma by now fellow GAFfer. Same with todd, and many more. Such a group of amazing people.

Anyway I just saw there was an update for the XP on the Badges and I need to get back on my Backlog as soon as possible.

My reputation is not big enough, since I still have problems leading most people to the monthly Indie threads to play some non-steam games :p

Someone needs to give me a tag to hypnotize people. Its just for their own good!

My reputation is not big enough, since I still have problems leading most people to the monthly Indie threads to play some non-steam games :p

Someone needs to give me a tag to hypnotize people. Its just for their own good!

Is someone paying to promote indie games or something? You're talking like you lose money if somebody doesn't play the shit you peddle.

Toma

Is someone paying to promote indie games or something? You're talking like you lose money if somebody doesn't play the shit you peddle.

I work for every Indie Developer ever and I am bathing in those Indie moneys.

If you feel like properly having this discussion, I recommend reading through this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=523680

Its not about the games I most like, but its important that people acknowledge the wide spectrum of Indie games and what they can accomplish and offer. The games I tend to talk about a lot are simply the ones that I feel have a good chance of convincing people to give other Indies the benefit of the doubt. Bigger games have their merits too and I like quite a few, but I hardly need to talk a lot about or push a 5million seller.

Nymphae

Banned

iFCXgM2KNKCay.png

Yeah this drives me absolutely insane.

Toma

Yeah this drives me absolutely insane.

I dont even get why they wouldnt offer some simple customizing options for that list. It wouldnt be that hard to implement. Guess its just not a priority atm and adding cards is more important.

Toma

Gateways and Toki Tori 2+. Anti-Chamber if you count 3D games.

Yeah, I was more referring to 2D games, but Gateways is a good suggestion too. I bought that during the last sale and will check that out eventually. Someone else suggested FEZ as well, which is another fitting suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom