• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I had no idea what was going on in Dark Souls until I beat Quelaag the Fire Witch.

I think that was like 15 hours in. Then it became one of my favorite games ever made.
But did you also die like 10 times or more in the part where
you are crossing the bridge where a dragon kills you right after defeating the Taurus demon? I found a path on the right, but there are some enemies there that always kill me.
I couldn't get any further than that, decided I totally sucked and never went back to the game.

oipic

Not to mention the amazing Soundtrack. I remember entering a Boss area and I didn't even need to see the Boss because the music made my heart race so fast. I have the physical CD of the Soundtrack and it's great.

So, so true - it's wonderful, powerful, subtle when it needs to be, and fits the game so perfectly. I love it, as I do everything else about Dark Souls...aside from actually playing it!

antitrop

you are crossing the bridge where a dragon kills you right after defeating the Taurus demon? I found a path on the right, but there are some enemies there that always kill me.
I couldn't get any further than that, decided I totally sucked and never went back to the game.
10? Hahahahahaha.

At least 20. I got the Drake Sword.

Nabs

the thing is I'm not sure I will like it so I'd like to bite one of them first, I still don't want to pile games I don't like in my Steam Library..

I don't know if you can, but there's still time to download and try the demos. The complete pack at $3.75 is kind of a steal.

antitrop

Bah, 25, maybe? I think that's where I bailed too, Rio, with the same thought: 'I suck'.
That's why the Drake Sword exists. It's literally right where you quit. Some say it's "cheating", but it's certainly preferable to stopping playing the game entirely.

It's overpowered for at least 5 hours or so, and then "good" for another 10 maybe, after that.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
the thing is I'm not sure I will like it so I'd like to bite one of them first, I still don't want to pile games I don't like in my Steam Library..
You can always make a new Steam account, and post a rant here that will get you banned. Don't let that discourage you from acquiring potentially bad games!

JakeD

Night of the Rabbit "premium" is being offered as an upgrade for current owners at 80% off. except when i put it in my cart, it says i already own it. might be an error that allows anyone to get it for $5. anyone who doesnt own it should give it a shot

update: apparently to non owners its showing up at full price, however, if you do own it, its possible you can gift the full premium game to a friend for $5. considering the "premium" appears to be sold as the full game and not dlc

Dolor

Is Rift on Steam anymore? I can't find it, but I was hoping to get into it now that it's free-to-play. Any chance it will come back if it's gone? I had played a trial, and it was pretty good.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
10? Hahahahahaha.

At least 20. I got the Drake Sword.
What's that (from the name it's probably a shotgun, silly me), and where can I find it?

And yeah, I gotta sit down, start from scratch, take it slow and do my best not to ragequit after dying several times in a row.

Bah, 25, maybe? I think that's where I bailed too, Rio, with the same thought: 'I suck'.
At least I'm not the only one, lol. Bad Dark Souls players unite!

Cth

As much as I love the style/idea of Teleglitch, I wish I had waited for the controller patch (which may never come) to pick it up. At least I managed to get it cheaply.

Contemplating a Rage-ish type trade to get Shadowrun now :D

What's that (from the name it's probably a shotgun, silly me), and where can I find it?

The Drake Sword? You get it by shooting of the red dragon's tail with arrows. It's a very good sword for the early-mid levels of the game. there are lots of guides to help you get the shooting down, it's not that hard.

How would I go about getting this chest?

1jSm9Jb.jpg

Baha

update: apparently to non owners its showing up at full price, however, if you do own it, its possible you can gift the full premium game to a friend for $5. considering the "premium" appears to be sold as the full game and not dlc

Has anybody tested this?

Tenrius

You were literally two minutes away from a shortcut leading to the bonfire. There a stairway on the right side of the bridge, it leads to a room with two exits. One will take you straight to the tower with the bonfire (the same one as before), you'll be able to drop a ladder there and bypass the whole section before (and including) the dragon entirely later on.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It's an overpowered sword you can get by killing the dragon.

That sword, along with the Pyromancer class, is considered probably the easiest way for a first timer to get through Dark Souls.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/drake-sword
Kill the dragon? That dragon? Haha, not even in my wildest dreams.

The Drake Sword? You get it by shooting of the red dragon's tail with arrows. It's a very good sword for the early-mid levels of the game. there are lots of guides to help you get the shooting down, it's not that hard.
Mmm, I'll have to do it then. Anything that makes the game easier is welcome.

You need to be a dwarf and go through one of the darker walls.

There is a passage to the right. See the missing block in the wall. However you need to be a small character.

I get it now. Thanks chaps

Still can't make any progress in the forest :(

The game will often throw chests at you that you can't get on your current run.

I'm starting to notice that now. Like kill all enemies to open a fairy chest when they're behind some sort of wall

Tenrius

Killing the dragon is very much doable later on in the game, but it's really more of a pointless hassle than anything. The fight itself is kinda broken, although not as broken as similar fights in Demon's Souls.

You could also try to kill that black knight with his back turned to you that you pass when going to the Taurus demon. If you're lucky he drops a nice sword or shield. Good luck though :p

liezryou

Welp, thanks to all the whiners about dunderhassan's positive feedback clogging up the thread, he is now shutting down his services.

Sucks, cause he really was doing a great thing for the community. Considering he was beating the prices of all of the primary Russian sellers i know, I doubt he was making much money.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You were literally two minutes away from a shortcut leading to the bonfire. There a stairway on the right side of the bridge, it leads to a room with two exits. One will take you straight to the tower with the bonfire (the same one as before), you'll be able to drop a ladder there and bypass the whole section before (and including) the dragon entirely later on.
I did that, yes. I found that ladder and activated the bonfire. But I kept dying to the enemies that appear right after that.

You could also try to kill that black knight with his back turned to you that you pass when going to the Taurus demon. If you're lucky he drops a nice sword or shield. Good luck though :p
The one that's guarding some chest? Oh no, I fought him when I first saw him because I thought he was a regular guy, but he kicked my ass so hard I'm still feeling the pain.

I'm reminded I haven't beaten a single boss in Rogue Legacy, imported EDF 2025, have SMTIV and Project X Zone to beat, and just bought Shadowrun Returns in addition to all of the summer sale goods.

Rico stahp

Giard

Welp, thanks to all the whiners about dunderhassan's positive feedback clogging up the thread, he is now shutting down his services.

Sucks, cause he really was doing a great thing for the community. Considering he was beating the prices of all of the primary Russian sellers i know, I doubt he was making much money.

That really sucks.

edit: reading his post, it seems like it wasn't really because of the feedback. Seems like he was just tired of doing it.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I miss the steam trading card beta days. McPixel cards go for €0,06 now...

Grief.exe

Because of positive feedback?

He couldn't open his own thread? Or only he posts feedback for others, and then gets that number of points.

There were just so many options other than that.
G
Edit: read the post, that's not the reason http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=72752196

liezryou

Because of positive feedback?

He couldn't open his own thread? Or only he posts feedback for others, and then gets that number of points.

There were just so many options other than that.

People had issues with him opening his own thread, i posted the same suggestion myself.

He only posts feedback in response to other's positive feedback because he doesn't have the time to keep track of every single person he sells to (who can blame him :/).

Prophane33

And yeah, I gotta sit down, start from scratch, take it slow and do my best not to ragequit after dying several times in a row.

At least I'm not the only one, lol. Bad Dark Souls players unite!

Holy crap, I wrote a diatribe on the last Steam Thread (or was it the one before that) about how I have no patience for the game, I officially suck, and was uninstalling it after 3 hours of fighting the
Taurus Demon
and dying over and over. Now I don't feel so bad. I too bought it when it came out. I put 6 hours into it before realizing, neat game...WAY too complicated for me. I'll stick to danmaku shooters for my difficulty.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

What? Is this true? I bought from him once, and he seemed to be a great guy. This is truly a shame :/

If nothing else this will slow my buying habits down considerably, at the same time I won't get to play as much. Oh well, great and very friendly guy. Hopefully we see him around the normal forums now!

I'm terrible at it (I had to ask on GAF how to kill the
Taurus demon
), and got frustrated and never came back. I only played it for 4 hours, despite buying it 1 or 2 days after the PC port was released.

I'd like to learn to play it well, but I doubt I'll be able to. It's too complicated for me.

That dude can get fucked. So difficult.

Finally getting into Dust...man that game is pretty great. Not even an hour in and already got the 1000 hit combo achievement.

Just want to point out that it was not because of the talk about the feedback, actually I've been talking about shutting it down like a hundred times for the past 3-4 months or so.
I already had it in my mind to do a last summer sale and then stop, all this feedback talk just made me finally go through with it now, since I have Google Docs to rely on instead for a while (which is a much simplier system for me).

Even if some people actually genuinely started hating, I wouldn't give a single fuck because you are a fantastic community and all the feedback I've received is worth more than any hate.

FloatOn

don't get the drake sword. it sucks.

just upgrade the claymore. with just a few upgrades it's better and it has better scaling.

also shooting 30 arrows is boring as shit.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
New bundle on Groupees:
http://groupees.com/arpg

Thinking about getting Rune Classic and Ben There, Dan That/Time Gentlemen, Please for $1.50.

I recommend giving Aztaka a try if a 2D sidescrolling diablo-lite loot game sounds appealing to you.
And Reef Shot got some good user reviews too. I like me some Photo games, so I'll grab that. Thanks :)

r3n4ud

Just want to point out that it was not because of the talk about the feedback, actually I've been talking about shutting it down like a hundred times for the past 3-4 months or so.
I already had it in my mind to do a last summer sale and then stop, all this feedback talk just made me finally go through with it now, since I have Google Docs to rely on instead for a while (which is a much simplier system for me).

Even if some people actually genuinely started hating, I wouldn't give a single fuck because you are a fantastic community and all the feedback I've received is worth more than any hate.

While it's a hard pill to swallow Dunder, thanks for everything you've done to help us save. Personally, I've saved quite a bit with your help and couldn't appreciate it more.

Didn't buy a lot from you, but thanks for doing this! You're a great guy, I hope you stick around the forums as a "normal" poster.

XShagrath

I'll throw in my love for Dunder as well. I only bought one game from him, but it seemed like an awesome service you were providing for the community.

Have a blast with your extra free time now!

Giard

I recommend giving Aztaka a try if a 2D sidescrolling diablo-lite loot game sounds appealing to you.
And Reef Shot got some good user reviews too. I like me some Photo games, so I'll grab that. Thanks :)

I thought Reef Shot looked cool as well. There needs to be more Pokemon Snap kind of games.

Tenrius

I think I spent 3-4 hours in a row trying to kill the black knight in Undead Burg the first time I played Dark Souls. Everything went much smoother after I did kill him.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Holy crap, I wrote a diatribe on the last Steam Thread (or was it the one before that) about how I have no patience for the game, I officially suck, and was uninstalling it after 3 hours of fighting the
Taurus Demon
and dying over and over. Now I don't feel so bad. I too bought it when it came out. I put 6 hours into it before realizing, neat game...WAY too complicated for me. I'll stick to danmaku shooters for my difficulty.
Bullet hell shooter is another genre I'll never be able to get into. Impossibly hard, so much respect to you!

I'll give Dark Souls another chance someday. Maybe then it'll click with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom