• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Wildesy

Would someone mind inviting me to the Steam Neogaf group? Not interested in giveaways, just like another avenue to talk to Neogaffers and to find people to play multiplayer with. My Steam ID is the same as my Neogaf one. Thanks!

Knurek

Yeah, I was more referring to 2D games, but Gateways is a good suggestion too. I bought that during the last sale and will check that out eventually. Someone else suggested FEZ as well, which is another fitting suggestion.

Yeah, Gateways is good.

Personally, I liked previous work from developer (Adventures of Shuggy) more, but other than that blasted final puzzle (you'll see what I mean when you reach it), it's an amazing game.

Does anyone know if Sleeping Dogs offers chapter select? I lost my save when my laptop got stolen and I was pretty far into the game. Trying to avoid having to re do it all. If I can get a save from someone and just select where I was that would be awesome.

Lets just say that we filled 3 pages in the last thread for the correct pronunciation so its probably better not to start that discussion again :p
Edit: Thanks Alien Bob.

But yeah, they did mention additional content shortly after the release where they said that they'd love to throw in some more stuff (since they had ideas that were cut out for the retail release, like the weather system) if the game sells well enough. A few weeks ago they confirmed that they are working on a big content patch (which could be either more plants, animals, buildings or a new mechanic like the weather), while simultaneously having a few devs working on porting and downscaling the requirements.

Thats all we know so far I think.

A bit late but thank you, that pronunciation makes it sound a bit like my name but with the trill R. Hopefully I get my essay done tomorrow and have a good weekend to spend to try and unlock some more things.

The_Monk

In the middle of my Coffee I decided to check a random stream of someone playing Dark Souls for the first time and it's giving me such great nostalgia.

I finished Demon's Souls and never finished Dark Souls and now I do not have the game and the console but I believe I couldn't start over this game again since I had about 40 hours. I still remember the first time I played this.

I hope to see a game like this in the next gen systems with even bigger words and items.

Anyone not to so good in this game been playing this lately? I believe it's one of those games worth trying and pushing your limits even if you are a "bad" player if you know what I mean fellow GAFfers.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I have a weird "relationship" with Dark Souls. I love the game itself, it's roguelike difficulty and the fantastic exploration. But there are too many enemies for my taste and the artstyle/atmosphere is totally not my thing. Which causes me not disliking, but not liking the game.

Same for DS.

Prezhulio

Does anyone know if Sleeping Dogs offers chapter select? I lost my save when my laptop got stolen and I was pretty far into the game. Trying to avoid having to re do it all. If I can get a save from someone and just select where I was that would be awesome.

same thing happened to me when my hard drive died that has all my steam games on it (come the fuck on developers, put it with all the other games in my documents)

i went searching for save game editors, or tiered save games and had no luck. ended up downloading one of the 100% save files just to see if there was a chapter select and it doesn't seem like it. anyone know of a save game editor for sleeping dogs?

Exuro

I woke up to my toki tori 2 foil selling for $8. Today will be a good day.

EDIT: Just had to respond later in the day and say that it was in fact an amazing day.

FloatOn

In the middle of my Coffee I decided to check a random stream of someone playing Dark Souls for the first time and it's giving me such great nostalgia.

I finished Demon's Souls and never finished Dark Souls and now I do not have the game and the console but I believe I couldn't start over this game again since I had about 40 hours. I still remember the first time I played this.

I hope to see a game like this in the next gen systems with even bigger words and items.

Anyone not to so good in this game been playing this lately? I believe it's one of those games worth trying and pushing your limits even if you are a "bad" player if you know what I mean fellow GAFfers.

I assure you, you are just scratching the surface of dark souls with only 40 hours played. There is so much more than that. New game plus is a game changer for example.

I'm on my third playthrough and I'm over 150 hours in. Experimenting with new builds is fun and addictive.

I absolutely recommend picking up the pc version with DSfix. It completely outclasses my experience of when I first played dark souls on 360.

same thing happened to me when my hard drive died that has all my steam games on it (come the fuck on developers, put it with all the other games in my documents)

i went searching for save game editors, or tiered save games and had no luck. ended up downloading one of the 100% save files just to see if there was a chapter select and it doesn't seem like it. anyone know of a save game editor for sleeping dogs?

Turns out if get a 100% save you just go to social hub and you can select missions there. I'm gonna try one in a second and see if get all the normal cut scenes. If not, I will have to start again.

EDIT: Ok you get the starting cut scene and the finishing one etc. I am going to continue the missions like this. Pray I am not missing anything, I can't imagine so.

The_Monk

I assure you, you are just scratching the surface of dark souls with only 40 hours played. There is so much more than that. New game plus is a game changer for example.

I'm on my third playthrough and I'm over 150 hours in. Experimenting with new builds is fun and addictive.

I absolutely recommend picking up the pc version with DSfix. It completely outclasses my experience of when I first played dark souls on 360.

Oh I know fellow GAFfer, I know. It's just, first I need to replay all those 40 hours and now I need to focus on the Backlog first. I had the chance to get it 75% OFF and did not got it. Also, this game is hard for me. It took me quite some time to finish Demon's Souls.

----

Another reason why I'm so bad with this game and I really wanted to discuss with some fellow GAFfers:

Any GAFfer remembers those "blades" swinging on Sen's Fortress? I always die in those. I'm either too slow, or too fast. Some people pointed that it could be related to some kind of depth perception. Can it? I wouldn't be surprised, my worst played genre are platform games. I'm terrible at them. Jumping from point A to B is such a simple thing yet I either jump too soon or too late. I'm almost ashamed of saying this but it's true. Please don't mock me fellow GAFfers...!

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Sounds plausible. I "hope" your just lacking a couple of gamingskills, though. :p

FloatOn

Another reason why I'm so bad with this game and I really wanted to discuss with some fellow GAFfers:

Any GAFfer remembers those "blades" swinging on Sen's Fortress? I always die in those. I'm either too slow, or too fast. Some people pointed that it could be related to some kind of depth perception. Can it? I wouldn't be surprised, my worst played genre are platform games. I'm terrible at them. Jumping from point A to B is such a simple thing yet I either jump too soon or too late. I'm almost ashamed of saying this but it's true. Please don't mock me fellow GAFfers...!

You are not alone. Sen's fortress did not come easy for me either and everyone I have talked to had trouble as well.

It really is a testing ground for how well you are able to maneuver in that game and once you get past it dodging, rolling and general positional awareness comes much easier.

It's one of those areas you have to mentally detach and just expect that you are not going to do well at for awhile and not be discouraged as you go through it.

But concerning platforming, I'm kind of in a similar position. I think it's just one of those things that people are really well at or just kind of okay. I'm in the latter group. I can't seem to get past the "hell" section of super meat boy. I just don't think I have what it takes to beat it. It took me awhile, but I think I'm okay with that.

Realizing your own limitations as a gamer will save a person lots of stress.

chronomac

Yep, we have a winner!

Thanks to everyone who participated. I hope you enjoyed it!
Sorry again to all who was annoyed by the posts.

To those wondering, here's how it went:
  • First, you had to find me on Steam. That was prety easy, my ID is the same as on GAF and I had edited two older posts to put the URL in them in case people looked for that.
  • Then I asked "What time is it?" - pretty easy as well, you just had to give me the time in my timezone (France.) You could see my location in my Steam profile and I also posted the finale's rules at midnight, saying "it's zero hour."
  • The password was "Wikipedia" - it wasn't explicitly stated that this was a hint, but it was one indeed.
  • The actual 'hint' was Kentucky. However, I had warned that it was deceitful...
  • When looking for Kentucky on Wikipedia, in the disambiguation pages, you can find Kentucky (Horse). The two later hints lead to that ("There's a horse in the picture" and "kentucky =/= route zero".)
  • The image on that page is the one I was looking for:
250px-Kentucky_%28USA%29.jpg

I'll be sending out the gifts now!

PS: KRZ is still on sale for ~7 hours, go pick it up if you didn't win ;)

I never got the later hints, but it's fine. Can't complain about a free copy of Super Hexagon. Congrats to the winner.

Just got a super meat boy booster pack. Open or sell? No idea.

I have Level 1 badge so far. Not too sure how much I care about them right now.

Most Super Meat Boy cards go for 30c and currently booster packs go for $1.05. So I would lose 15c if I try my shot at a foil..

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

I'm terrible at it (I had to ask on GAF how to kill the
Taurus demon
), and got frustrated and never came back. I only played it for 4 hours, despite buying it 1 or 2 days after the PC port was released.

I'd like to learn to play it well, but I doubt I'll be able to. It's too complicated for me.

antitrop

I'm terrible at it (I had to ask on GAF how to kill the
Taurus demon
), and got frustrated and never came back. I only played it for 4 hours, despite buying it 1 or 2 days after the PC port was released.

I'd like to learn to play it well, but I doubt I'll be able to. It's too complicated for me.
I had no idea what was going on in Dark Souls until I beat Quelaag the Fire Witch.

I think that was like 15 hours in. Then it became one of my favorite games ever made.

oipic

I must confess to being one of those who find Dark Souls very difficult, dear Monk.

It's the controls more than anything, I think - I put only ~4-5 hours into it admittedly, but just couldn't come to grips with using a controller, having been exclusively a KB+M gamer (I can't for the life of me play shooters with a controller, for what it's worth). I tried Dark Souls with KB+M, too, but that didn't feel right either.

The sad thing is I can tell it's a great game, a must-have experience, and I was really sucked in to the atmosphere and the mental challenge of each encounter... but as much as my mind was in tune with it, my fingers weren't. I guess DS just pushed me to the edge of my limited dexterity and co-ordination, and maybe even my patience, too.

I should've just manned-up, and stuck with it longer, perhaps, but y'know... there's so much else to play as it is. I'll give it another go, one day.

Knurek

I had no idea what was going on in Dark Souls until I beat Quelaag the Fire Witch.

I beat Quelaag, hightailed the hell out of Blighttown and got brutally sodomized by first enemies (two lizardmen) in Sen's Fortress.

That was about a month ago, been trying some easier games in the mean time (Mass Effect Trilogy). Will probably get back to it sooner or later. :)

Acccent

Is anyone having issues with the Live Thread Chrome extension? whenever I activate it after a few updates I start seeing posts in random order, from previous pages, etc. ?_?

Do you get foil cards from drops by playing/idling the game or from foils? Or both?

EDIT: Probably should have posted this in trading card thread. Oh well.

The_Monk

I should've just manned-up, and stuck with it longer, perhaps, but y'know... there's so much else to play as it is. I'll give it another go, one day.

I've read it all, dear oipic. I hope you can go back to it one day. It's a great game indeed.

Not to mention the amazing Soundtrack. I remember entering a Boss area and I didn't even need to see the Boss because the music made my heart race so fast. I have the physical CD of the Soundtrack and it's great.

antitrop

I've read it all, dear oipic. I hope you can go back to it one day. It's a great game indeed.

Not to mention the amazing Soundtrack. I remember entering a Boss area and I didn't even need to see the Boss because the music made my heart race so fast. I have the physical CD of the Soundtrack and it's great.
Taurus Demon's Theme is my favorite track from last year that wasn't from a game named Spec Ops: The Line or Hotline Miami.

It's so fucking dreadful, I love it.

JakeD

Night of the Rabbit "premium" is being offered as an upgrade for current owners at 80% off. except when i put it in my cart, it says i already own it. might be an error that allows anyone to get it for $5. anyone who doesnt own it should give it a shot

Dolor

This is an amazing game. It's hard to get into at first because it is quite esoteric, but once you get over the hump, it is incredibly deep and has a proficient modding community.

I bought the entire X pack one Steam sale. Tried playing each one in succession and just couldn't get into them. Then I played X3: Albion Prelude, and something just clicked, and the next thing I knew I had 100 hours in it on Steam.

Anyone need the following coupons? I don't.

Ultratron - 66%
Shadow Warrior Classic - 33%
No Time to Explain - 50%

Just send me a friend request on Steam, my handle there is the same as here, (or a message here w/ your steam user handle) and I can gift the one you want to you.

cicero

Is someone paying to promote indie games or something? You're talking like you lose money if somebody doesn't play the shit you peddle.
Is there any point at which you simply converse with people without resorting to abrasive angry behavior or attempts to belittle the person you are responding to? Come on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom