• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
This is the second time I have won Bad Rats, and the second time the message had no code in it. Thanks anyway!

Edit: Whoops, didn't realize this was the same person I won it from the first time :p I don't have Steamguard enabled so I can't collect yet.
You have dodged that bullet twice. I think it's about time you stop playing Russian roulette.

Addnan

Is The Night of the Rabbit premium 80% off for those that own the main game? I asked Xelios said he couldn't see a discount. Do you have to add it to basket? If its there can someone help me please!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
If you want something on Steam, try Jamestown

If you're okay with non-Steam stuff, I can't recommend Touhou 9.5: Shoot the Bullet enough. It's a puzzle game, where you have to take pictures of increasingly difficult bullet patterns while avoiding the bullets yourself.

It's hard as funk, but certainly doable (my former gf beat everything but the last world), and best of all, each stage takes... 40-90 seconds tops, so it's great for short spurs.

Some example bullet patterns (which look a lot better when seen in motion, obviously):
I have Jamestown, and it's fun, but I'm not a fan of having to beat each level on increasing difficulties to unlock the next ones. Last time I tried, I couldn't proceed any further because of that.

That's it, I played one of the Touhou games. Hard as fuck, just like you said. How can you survive patterns like the ones on your pic? That looks close to impossible. I'll never be able to beat those stages, lol

JakeD

A big thanks to both Der Experte and JakeD22 for helping me out with the Premium Night of the Rabbit "offer". Such a great deal.

no problem! it still seems to be active. i'm kind of tempted to alert daedelic to it just because they are a small company and i don't want them to be burned too bad.

2gJ420g.png

Oh my.

Hawkie

Is The Night of the Rabbit premium 80% off for those that own the main game? I asked Xelios said he couldn't see a discount. Do you have they could to add it to basket? If its there can someone help me please!

Not sure if still active now but people who have the main game were able to see an upgrade to premium option for $5. However, the premium upgrade included the main game and therefore they could not buy for themselves but could still gift it to others meaning others could get the premium edition for $5.

Grief.exe

All this Shadowrun stuff got me checking the OST for the SNES game, it has some great music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ome6XI_KuIw&t=00m40s

They adjusted it last night

Hello everyone. We have a small update to the Game Collector Badge today: we've tweaked the XP values to be a little less confusing. Anyone with 100 games or more will have a little more XP now.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tradingcards#announcements/detail/1820863417422355122

Knurek

That's it, I played one of the Touhou games. Hard as fuck, just like you said. How can you survive patterns like the ones on your pic? That looks close to impossible. I'll never be able to beat those stages, lol

You use the focus button (Shift on default settings) and pray for the first 100 times, after that you start to clear them. :)

Seriously though, I'm not that good at danmaku games, with few weeks of practice I've been able to clear them on Normal difficulty (2nd of four). But they look so mesmerizing and I love the music, so I can't fault them for being what they are.

Shoot the Bullet is a bit different. Still difficult in the latter stages (you see the pattern and go 'how the eff am I supposed to survive that'), but since dying here is pretty much penalty free (you restart the stage literally two seconds later, and like I said, the stages are few dozen seconds short), you tend to try and try until you succeed.

And funnily enough, it's a great trainer for the things you need to play good in other games like that, hence my recommendation. Do give it a whirl, it's... dunno, 200 MB.

Blizzard

Banned
BTW, I hate Brütal Legend. The game actually gave me Tinnitus, I was using headphones when I got to
The Wall part
, big mistake.
Was the volume turned way up? Like, after playing that part you have always had Tinnitus since then? That really sucks to be permanently injured by a game. o_O

On another note, Red Alert 3 says "INTERNET CONNECTION, ONLINE AUTHENTICATION AND ACCEPTANCE OF END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT REQUIRED TO PLAY". This is different wording from Tiberium Twilight, which says a "PERSISTENT" connection is required. Is Red Alert 3 always-online?

Terra_Ex

Was the volume turned way up? Like, after playing that part you have always had Tinnitus since then? That really sucks to be permanently injured by a game. o_O

On another note, Red Alert 3 says "INTERNET CONNECTION, ONLINE AUTHENTICATION AND ACCEPTANCE OF END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT REQUIRED TO PLAY". This is different wording from Tiberium Twilight, which says a "PERSISTENT" connection is required. Is Red Alert 3 always-online?

No

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Managed to snag the two TWD cards I was missing with a couple of lucky below the average purchases. The Long Road Ahead is a nice background and I got a discount coupon for the first time while crafting too (-66% coupon for Serious Sam 2. Not really interested in it though!).

adaen

I have to say, I find the daily card updates slighlty overwhelming, as I try to play each game at least a little bit.

That said some games are just perfect for that formular. I was able to beat Eversion and Noitu Love 2 by the time the last card dropped.

And I suck at Bleed.

Grief.exe

I'm not sure what exactly was "confusing" about one game = one XP.

It wasn't quite like that for everyone though, and there is significant diminishing returns. Which is why its about 1 xp to game ratio to you.

For me, it was 2.1 XP per game, and now it is about 2.6 XP per game. I have 191 games.

Copons

I'm seeing a lot of people getting discount coupons, and I realized I never got one.
Is there something you should do or they just drop randomly like cards booster packs?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It wasn't quite like that for everyone though, and there is significant diminishing returns. Which is why its about 1 xp to game ratio to you.

For me, it was 2.1 XP per game, and now it is about 2.6 XP per game. I have 191 games.

Ah, that's odd. I was keeping an eye on the badge XP count and had assumed that 1 = 1 was the case across the board.

Fuu

ea6fyp0.png

For fuck's sake, the shitty Pillar of Community badge with the busted transparency is actually stuck there on my profile. Go away!

JaseC

ea6fyp0.png

For fuck's sake, the shitty Pillar of Community badge with the busted transparency is actually stuck there on my profile. Go away!

Craft a few more unique badges and it'll be pushed off your profile. ;)

I'd like to hit level 10, but kind of having a hard time justifying crafting stuff that could make me a few bucks. Not only that, but realistically the only way you can complete a set of cards is by buying the rest.

I might cave and craft a badge for Kerbal, just because the game is sublime and I'd almost feel bad selling the cards. On that note, if you're on the fence about KSP just buy it. Buy two copies and give one away. It's amazing.

JaseC

I'd like to hit level 10, but kind of having a hard time justifying crafting stuff that could make me a few bucks. Not only that, but realistically the only way you can complete a set of cards is by buying the rest.

I might cave and craft a badge for Kerbal, just because the game is sublime and I'd almost feel bad selling the cards. On that note, if you're on the fence about KSP just buy it. Buy two copies and give one away. It's amazing.

This is only true if you plan to level up every badge. If you pick and choose, you can trade your unwanted cards to complete a desired set.

I've been trying. :( I already crafted 4 unique ones after I got it but it didn't budge from that position.

How odd. Maybe try setting it as your featured badge and then replace it with another?

Nymphae

Banned
This is only true if you plan to level up every badge. If you pick and choose, you can trade your unwanted cards to complete a desired set.

How odd. Maybe try setting it as your featured badge and then replace it with another?

For someone like me who doesn't buy games just for cards, I pretty much need to pay for a set. I only have like a couple of duplicates that no one probably wants to trade for, so I'm left with buying if I want to complete a set, which I kind of want to do for some odd reason.

Fuu

Just tried that and no dice. I'm doing the rest of the requirements to level it up to see if it makes any difference. It's haunting me!

Fireblend

Banned
Woo! Finally beat Antichamber. I was somewhat underwhelmed with it, I can't say what I was expecting but I got something different.

Anyway, another game crossed of the list. Which one should I go with next, GAF?

Options:

Dishonored
Tomb Raider (already around 2 hours into this)
Dark Souls
Kentucky Route Zero
System Shock 2
Mark of the Ninja
FLY'N

Also, how would you order from shorter to longer?

seriously? Hm...I always thought it was a 1:1. Guess that is confusing.

If they are going to be adding cards daily...they seriously need to consider overhauling the badge page. It is just a damn mess and only getting worse. I feel bad for Jase and Xelios when they try and go to the page

Woo! Finally beat Antichamber. I was somewhat underwhelmed with it, I can't say what I was expecting but I got something different.

Options:

Dishonored
Dark Souls
Kentucky Route Zero
System Shock 2
Mark of the Ninja
FLY'N

How would you order from shorter to longer?
You never played Dark Souls? Play Dark Souls.

cammy84

Options:

Dishonored
Dark Souls
Kentucky Route Zero
System Shock 2
Mark of the Ninja
FLY'N

I say since you've started Tomb Raider, go with that. Plus it's not a bad game, not brilliant but I enjoyed playing it

Fireblend

Banned
You never played Dark Souls? Play Dark Souls.

I'm hesitant because I fear it's the longest one of the list by far, and I kind of want to take care of as many as possible before I embark in Dark Souls.

I say since you've started Tomb Raider, go with that. Plus it's not a bad game, not brilliant but I enjoyed playing it

Yes, I'm leaning towards continuing TR as well as KR0 which I guess isn't very long. I like having a "big" game and a "small" game to play at all times.

Nabs

so I guess Guacamele is officially coming to Steam. nice

Guacamelee! + Mutant Blobs Attack about an hour ago

Tenrius

I'm hesitant because I fear it's the longest one of the list by far, and I kind of want to take care of as many as possible before I embark in Dark Souls.

Play Dark Souls + something else at the same time. I'd say Dishonored, but if you want the shortest, that would be KR0.

The_Monk

Options:

Dark Souls

Please by Dark Souls for BOTH of us fellow GAFfer since I no longer have the game and console for it.

Go go! You can also play Mark of the Ninja at the same time since it's a 6-8 hours game but a great game! ;)

zkylon

zkylewd

Options:

Dishonored
Dark Souls
Kentucky Route Zero
System Shock 2
Mark of the Ninja
FLY'N

prepare to die friend

also in length

kr0 < mark of the ninja < dishonored == system shock 2 < dark souls

DukeBobby

Options:

Dishonored
Dark Souls
Kentucky Route Zero
System Shock 2
Mark of the Ninja
FLY'N

Kentucky Route Zero will only take you about 3 hours, so I'd start with that.

It's also pretty damn fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom