• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

also I own it since April thanks to Spin, so i've been thinking this decision for a while now, but the recent 'revival' now that everyone got it on the sales is kinda pushing me over the edge in hooking up that crappy ass wheel

It kind of does. You are playing a sim where you drive miles down the road, with a real truck, listening to NPR.

Using a controller would be a disservice.

I need to get a joystick for star citizen.

Just a joystiq? What is this, amature hour?

best-pc-flight-sim.jpg

mrgone

Damnit, I just lost like an hour of progress in Shadowrun assuming the autosaves (the only save option) occurred more frequently. It only saves at very beginning of the level, it seems. The game itself seems pretty awesome so far, but that save system is fucked.

New Team Meat commentary on the special edition IGTM is as good as you'd expect, btw. Watched the whole DLC without it too, definetly worth it at $5.

The Jason Rohrer bit is particularly interesting. That dude is weird, and great.

Yep, some parts are really interesting. I also find it really nice to see the same people again, but 10 months later. For $5 (assuming everybody already owns IGTM), it's a good buy!

DukeBobby

It kind of does. You are playing a sim where you drive miles down the road, with a real truck, listening to NPR.

Using a controller would be a disservice.

I've played it for 20 hours with a controller, but I'd love to get a wheel.

If only I hadn't spent lots of money last week...

Dingotech

Does the Xbox360 wheel work with the PC?

I've got one sitting in the cupboard that I haven't used since Forza 3 came out. If I ever got a copy of Euro Truck 2 it would be cool if I could get some use out of it.

danielcw

Its crazy we can do that now with the Occulus Rift.

That gives me an idea.
Add a camera top Coulus Rift, so that you cann see your hand grabbing the joystick, when you look down.
(plus of course an API so that developers can decide, where the real image shines through, and maybe postprocessing, so that it doesn't clash with the look of games.

mrgone

That gives me an idea.
Add a camera top Coulus Rift, so that you cann see your hand grabbing the joystick, when you look down.
(plus of course an API so that developers can decide, where the real image shines through, and maybe postprocessing, so that it doesn't clash with the look of games.

Put a Kinect on it and you'll see the world as it really is for the first time.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
lQ6K1jT.png

It MOVED, I'm in tears. If it didn't get unstuck this time I'd risk getting close to the Steam thread's classic "make a new account" breakdown.

(What was happening: the crap community badge with broken transparency was stuck on the left of my profile no matter how many more I crafted. Today I upgraded it from Pillar of Community to Community Ambassador and that finally got it to budge. If anyone else has that shit badge stuck there, level it up to its second and final form and it may help.)

Grief.exe

That gives me an idea.

Well Star Citizen has the entire cockpit modeled. So when you move the Joystick, the character will in game.

Oneironaut

Neo Member
That gives me an idea.

I think we're a few years away from easily affordable tracking of individual limbs like that.

Here's a video of a guy doing something like that in Doom 3 BFG, but he's using a motion tracking system that costs around $70,000

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Finally got to floor 7 in Sequence. The grunts give me way more trouble than the bosses in this game, Fluffy (lol) is the true boss of floor 6 as far as I'm concerned.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
im only half-kidding about Euro Truck Simulator 2, I actually really wanna play it BUT with a racing wheel. The reason I havent yet is cause the one I own fucking sucks, that's what's keeping me from it

for some reason I feel like playing with a controller kinda defeats the whole purpose
I can see where you're coming from. My wheel sucks too, that's why I'm playing the game with a 360 pad instead of using it.

But I have to admit, it controls surprisingly well with a gamepad. Once it's set up properly, it's really comfortable.

Oh, and I ended up not playing it a while ago even though I said I would (gonna do it right now!). Those bullet hell shooters' demos were really hard, but I liked them. I'm tempted by the IndieGala bundle that Honorless posted earlier today, which contains the eXceed games.

Knurek

You know, knowing that the bullets aren't that hard is new to me. When I watch a video of one of those games, I can't begin to imagine how the player manages to avoid dying all the time. How can you reach that skill level? Is it a matter of time, practice and perseverance? I was always intrigued by this kind of games, but never dared to get into them.

Actually, 90% of bullets on screen in any danmaku game are red herring, meant to throw you brain off and make you crash into something.

Playing those games comes down to:

1. Enemy management (aka 'how not to get swarmed by bullets')
2. Pattern recognition (aka 'when to dodge frantically or use bomb)
3. Muscle memory (aka 'aha, this attack requires me to circle the screen clockwise, got it').
4. Unless you're one of the twenty people, who can 1cc/noBomb Touhou games on Lunatic, blind luck can also be a factor. :)

Yeah I don't get the AC3 hate officially now that I beat it.
They really took a hot dump on the present day storyline if you cared about it (and I did), otherwise it's just Assassin's Creed II/B/R with more and more bloat added to it. It's not bad, but it's kind of wearing thin as a yearly franchise.

Tenrius

I've been posting about it in the |OT|, but this new Shadowrun game is great. They totally nailed the atmosphere, the story is good and the combat is pretty decent. Would be nice if you could save manually, but that's not a huge issue due to how the game is designed.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
They really took a hot dump on the present day storyline if you cared about it (and I did), otherwise it's just Assassin's Creed II/B/R with more and more bloat added to it. It's not bad, but it's kind of wearing thin as a yearly franchise.

I hate the Desmond stuff and just rush through it as quickly as possible to get back to the period stuff which I love and inhale like a crackhead.

And no one is forcing people to play these games on a yearly basis. I essentially took a two year break after Revelations since I didn't want to wear myself out. Since I waited almost a year to play 3 I was actually really looking forward to getting back into the series.

Smash88

Banned
In case someone is not done spending money, or missed some games on the Steam Summer Sale. GamersGate is having their own Summer Sale, matching in the amount you save.

http://www.gamersgate.com/

It's probably been already posted, just wanted to make sure people who are looking for games on the cheap are checking it out.

EDIT: As Dice said below, not all games are Steamworks, make sure you check out the DRM listing under every game.

Deadbeat

Banned
I just remembered I forgot to buy Afterfall Insanity (I mean for 2.50 I might as well see if its good or not for that price) and I didnt. Now its 10 dollars and Im sure as hell not paying that much.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
In case someone is not done spending money, or missed some games on the Steam Summer Sale. GamersGate is having their own Summer Sale, matching in the amount you save.
Note that not all games there are the Steam versions. Check the listed DRM.

The Summer Sale is over but my wallet is still crying!

So many indie games coming to Steam that I should preorder (Broforce, Hammerwatch...), Spelunky is coming in 2 weeks, Teleglitch has just been released and Mercenary Kings seems quite interesting.

And I don't even have time to play all this...

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Actually, 90% of bullets on screen in any danmaku game are red herring, meant to throw you brain off and make you crash into something.

Playing those games comes down to:

1. Enemy management (aka 'how not to get swarmed by bullets')
2. Pattern recognition (aka 'when to dodge frantically or use bomb)
3. Muscle memory (aka 'aha, this attack requires me to circle the screen clockwise, got it').
4. Unless you're one of the twenty people, who can 1cc/noBomb Touhou games on Lunatic, blind luck can also be a factor. :)
Then those bullets perfectly succeed on their job, because I always end up crashing into something!

Those tips seem useful, I didn't realize there were patterns here. And yeah, it's important to avoid getting cornered without a way out, which happened to me a couple of times.

Sooooo... FTL, Strike Suit bundle, Witcher 2, and Mirror's Edge, which order shall I approach these?

Mirror's Edge first, because it's a fantastic experience but over very quickly and you probably won't want to go back any time soon. Haven't played Strike Suit, but I'd go for that next just to get it out of the way. Seems like enjoyable arcade-y fun though. Then the Witcher 2, and finally FTL. Save the best for last, and the most addictive for absolute last. Once you start FTL, you won't want to stop.

Or, like super-famicom said, just complement everything with FTL. It can be played in shorter sessions if you can hold out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom