• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

denx

Well, today I finally got access to the community market, so I put a bunch of cards for sale. Went to dinner, came back and I already had an extra dollar in my Steam wallet. Hoping enough of my cards sell tonight so I can buy Bleed tomorrow (just 2 dollars more).

This may become my life.

zkylon

zkylewd
I just finished RAGE I won during a giveaway by a nice GAFfer during the Summer Sale.

What was that ending? It just felt like they forgot to end the Game. It just stops. And then you get a message "You can still play some more!"
Not even any credits.

yeah it's like "ok I'll add the end boss tomorrow and you hook up the final cutscene" and someone shipped it by mistake anyways

mrgone

I have a really really bad ps2 racing wheel that works on PC

I might just hook it up and launch Euro Truck Simulator 2

what am I doing with my life

Step 1:
AAgA3Yk.jpg

Step 2:
Qzeegfw.jpg

Step 3:
IpskoTk.jpg

Step 4:
ZjQJ85l.jpg

Played through Act 1 of Kentucky Route Zero this afternoon. I was really, really impressed with what this game achieves through its skeletal but gorgeous visuals, sparse soundtrack, and tersely expressive writing. In fact, I'm looking forward to playing through it again to see how the different dialogue options affect the conversations. And then I can play Act 2 and be grumpy about waiting for new content like everyone else. :p

Thanks GAF! This is the kind of game I'd never have heard about without you guys.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
strange,what made them want to do that.

Probably for the same reason any company (usually) ever does this: because they hired someone new that said "Why aren't we doing this?"

Salsa

strange,what made them want to do that.

2K and Rockstar seem to use the steam community stuff pretty well

so does Two Tribes and the Blocks That Matter dev.

It bums me out that no other developers use it as much, I think it's awesome. Back during the first few weeks after Max Payne 3 came out i'd ocassionally get a pop up since I was just logged on Steam that said "Devs are gonna be playing in this and that server" and shit like that and you could join their game and kill rockstar devs

blocks that matter devs post constant updates on the sequel's development. Two Tribes/2K do giveaways, etc

it's a great feature and pretty much everyone is logged to Steam 24/7 as long as their PC is turned on, so I really don't get why more people don't use it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You're better off getting the bundle price-wise but, play-wise, 3rd is the most accessible although you dig the polarity switching mechanic, 2nd may actually be a better option, just be advise that since it has dynamic rank, once you start getting good, the game will adjust accordingly so you may suddenly find things getting quite crazy. In those cases, just apply "rank control" (aka, sacrifice a life) to lower the difficulty a great deal. (edit: or just go MLG PRO at the game and blaze it on eXceed rank, those scrubs won't know what they hit them.)

Anyway, back to eXceed 3rd, the "imposing" patterns are all for show in this kind of games: your hitbox is much smaller than usual and you can get 5 extra options+mini-dragons that increase your firepower. Normal is doable after easy. Hell, Hard is also quite doable, especially with auto-bomb. The music helps getting all pumped and in the "zone".

I would've suggested picking something like Satazius (on Easy) or Jamestown (on its easiest settings) first since both are great introductions to the genre. But, like I said, in the bullet hell type of shmup, the bullets are more for show and intimidation, they are not that hard. (In fact, I find traditional shooters to be more challenging: something like R-Type Delta or G-Darius is far more brutal.)

edit: with the Yatagarasu campaign I got introduced to the fighting game genre and now I understand how a newbie to shmups feel when I do this kind of info-dumps, lol.
That's a good thing to know, thanks. I wouldn't have liked to start getting better, only to realize that I'm actually doing worse than before xD

I own Jamestown, and all this talk about top-down shooters made me want to go back to it. I got stuck on the second level because I was forced to play it in a high difficulty to unlock one of the later stages, and I could never beat it. Never heard of Satazius, but I'm downloading the demo right now.

You know, knowing that the bullets aren't that hard is new to me. When I watch a video of one of those games, I can't begin to imagine how the player manages to avoid dying all the time. How can you reach that skill level? Is it a matter of time, practice and perseverance? I was always intrigued by this kind of games, but never dared to get into them.

I like 2 a lot more than 3. You need to constantly switch between light and dark to damage enemies and absorb bullets. The game in return does a great job of throwing in mixed targets at you to keep you moving.

Great little game.
Nice. I'll get the whole bundle then, next time it goes on sale.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
guaranteed

im kinda bummed that I backed for $10 = Steam version instead of $15 = Steam + 3DS
It's not Steam + 3DS though. It's just 3DS. (I suppose if you were dumb you could have chosen a Steam code despite paying the $5 premium)

Pretty miserly move considering it'll be $10 on eShop and Steam codes are free. :|
I'll just pick up the PC version in a bundle or hope to win it in a giveaway or something.

Salsa

It's not Steam + 3DS though. It's just 3DS. (I suppose if you were dumb you could have chosen a Steam code despite paying the $5 premium)

Pretty miserly move considering it'll be $10 on eShop and Steam codes are free. :|
I'll just pick up the PC version in a bundle or hope to win it in a giveaway or something.

oh that's weird

still glad I backed since it made it/got greenlit. Saved me $5 too

Salsa

New Team Meat commentary on the special edition IGTM is as good as you'd expect, btw. Watched the whole DLC without it too, definetly worth it at $5.

The Jason Rohrer bit is particularly interesting. That dude is weird, and great.

New Team Meat commentary on IGTM is as good as you'd expect, btw. Watched the whole thing without it too, definetly worth $5.

The Jason Rohrer bit is particularly interesting. That dude is weird, and great.

Jason Rohrer is such a fascinating guy. I didn't realize that he was included in the Special Edition stuff, but now I'm saving up my card pennies even harder.

EDIT: More people should read the profile Wired did on his crazy Chain World experiment. Additionally I need to play more The Castle Doctrine.

Salsa

Jason Rohrer is such a fascinating guy. I didn't realize that he was included in the Special Edition stuff, but now I'm saving up my card pennies even harder.

I knew the guy was this hippie-like vegan dude who practiced 'simple living' by only owning stuff he needs, but seeing him there being interviewed with his wife and 3 kids, while working on some of the most talked about indie games ever on a crappy CRT, and allegedly living on a 14k per year budget, was pretty interesting to say the least.

Specially between the contrast of seeing Edmund's new huge house and Tommy Refenes' 3 new tesla cars after Super Meat Boy's success, hah.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I have a really really bad ps2 racing wheel that works on PC

I might just hook it up and launch Euro Truck Simulator 2

what am I doing with my life
It's a great game, don't feel ashamed. I'd be playing it right now if I weren't downloading these bullet hell shooters' demos and reading about them.

Actually, that can wait. Time for more ETS2 goodness!

So I randomly got a 90% off Serious Sam 2 coupon today when crafting a badge. Not exactly interested in SS2, (even though this makes the game cost about a $1), figured I'd see if anyone here wants it?

Forgive me if there is a process for doing this, I know there was one setup for the Summer Sale, but I wasn't sure if that was still going on.

oipic

It's a great game, don't feel ashamed. I'd be playing it right now if I weren't downloading these bullet hell shooters' demos and reading about them at work.

Actually, that can wait. Time for more ETS2 goodness!

Seconded - listen to this fine, learned man, he speaks the truth.

Any misconception that ETS2 is 'hyped' only for novelty value, or for a laugh, should be banished - it's a surprisingly polished game, and is compelling in a way that is hard to explain. To play it, is to love it.

Salsa

im only half-kidding about Euro Truck Simulator 2, I actually really wanna play it BUT with a racing wheel. The reason I havent yet is cause the one I own fucking sucks, that's what's keeping me from it

for some reason I feel like playing with a controller kinda defeats the whole purpose

FloatOn

I work in logistics so I see american truck drivers all the time. I wonder what they would think of euro truck sim? I should do research.

oipic

im only half-kidding about Euro Truck Simulator 2, I actually really wanna play it BUT with a racing wheel. The reason I havent yet is cause the one I own fucking sucks, that's what's keeping me from it

for some reason I feel like playing with a controller kinda defeats the whole purpose

I'm on the verge of digging out my old MOMO Racing Force, which I haven't hooked up for maybe 18 months. It's been awhile since I've done any serious, competitive rFactor racing online, and everything else (GRID, Shift 2 Unleashed, even some GTR2) I've been happy enough to lazily play with a 360 controller... but ETS2 is calling for a wheel... somehow.

Grief.exe

It kind of does. You are playing a sim where you drive miles down the road, with a real truck, listening to NPR.

Using a controller would be a disservice.

I need to get a joystick for star citizen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom